Fallout Games Yanked From GoG Due To Rights Issues

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fallout Games Yanked From GoG Due To Rights Issues

The classic RPGs vanish from the service effective today.

Good Old Games has carved a fantastic niche for itself by digging old games up, dusting them off, and fixing them up for modern machines. It's not just nostalgia, but this evergreen idea that games never die or go obsolete. Even the oldest and most persnickety of games can be resurrected with a well-configured DOS emulator and proper drivers. But even the restorative arts of the most talented engineers must bow before the law. Shortly after GoG kicked off its New Years bash, it also announced, in somber tones, that all Fallout titles are being yanked from the service, effective today.

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we needed to pull the three classic Fallout games, that is Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics, from sale and remove them from our DRM-free catalog," the proclamation read. The games have already vanished from GoG's catalog, leaving an aching 404 error behind. If you've previously purchased these games (or got it during the free giveaway), they'll still be in your account for later download, so don't panic.

Legal wranglings with the Fallout series is nothing new. The rights for older games can be more tangled than obsolete driver dependencies. During the legal fight between Interplay and Bethesda over the Fallout MMO, it was revealed that Interplay would retain the rights to sell the classic titles until today, December 31, 2013. That said, don't expect Fallout to stay gone for long. It's only a matter of time before the new rights holders strike a deal with GoG and get the post-apocalypse rolling again.

Source: GoG via Kotaku

Luckily i got em during the free give away. I do love my free stuff.

Tried playing the first one once, got my ass kicked by a bunch of rats.

Well that's a relief, downloaded them during the free giveaway so they should be still waiting for me whenever I decide I want to give one a go.

Holy shit I was about to commence frantic downloading when I read the title. Good thing they're still available if you got them.

Having finished Fallout 1 yesterday due to GOG's huge generosity, I was really thankful for the offer. In fact I think I'm going to end the year with a Fallout 2 gaming marathon. For old times' sake.

Wasn't this exactly the reason they gave it away in the first place?

P.S. Thanks

Wasn't really new news, the license expired, games get pulled from the service, this is why the free giveaway happened.

I'm just gonna indulge my paranoia and back up the installers, just in case.

Got the games for free from their Winter Sale, now I just need to actually play the games.

Vaccine:
Wasn't really new news, the license expired, games get pulled from the service, this is why the free giveaway happened.

People, like me, speculated that the games would be pulled, but no news came out from GoG saying that they were gonna pull it. Sorta like how everyone expected all the Rollercoaster Tycoon games to get pulled off GoG after Atari went under, but there are still some there. The license could have been renewed, but GoG was quite about all the details so many assumed it'd be worse case scenario and the games would be pulled, which they unfortunately were.

OT: This is a shame because the GoG versions of Fallout, Fallout 2, and Tactics were tailor made to work right there, but the Steam version requires you to install some things in order to play the games correctly.

Even though I got the games already, I hope Bethesda don't put them back up but at an inflated price.

Meanwhile, when Capcom's license expires, they see it as a means to hold a big sales event to milk their fans with more on-disc DLC content instead of just, you know, unlocking that content...

Still can't believe Jill and Shuma-Gorath are forever locked on some players discs now, unable to get the unlock key because they were tagged as "DLC" by Capcom's marketing...

Neronium:

Vaccine:

People, like me, speculated that the games would be pulled, but no news came out from GoG saying that they were gonna pull it. Sorta like how everyone expected all the Rollercoaster Tycoon games to get pulled off GoG after Atari went under, but there are still some there. The license could have been renewed, but GoG was quite about all the details so many assumed it'd be worse case scenario and the games would be pulled, which they unfortunately were.

Actually, I downloaded them free off GoG and the GoG news page about it did mention the rights to the titles were going to change hands soon and the games might not be available to sell on GoG *wink *wink *hint *hint

It's only a matter of time before the new rights holders strike a deal with GoG and get the post-apocalypse rolling again.

Or not, because if there is one thing companies love its sitting on beloved IPs and refusing to actually do anything with them.

major_chaos:

It's only a matter of time before the new rights holders strike a deal with GoG and get the post-apocalypse rolling again.

Or not, because if there is one thing companies love its sitting on beloved IPs and refusing to actually do anything with them.

Naw, that's more a Konami (Bomberman) and Capcom (Mega Man) thing. Bethesda actually likes selling stuff and making money.

P.S. Thanks

IanDavis:

Legal wranglings with the Fallout series is nothing new. The rights for older games can be more tangled than obsolete driver dependencies. During the legal fight between Interplay and Bethesda over the Fallout MMO, it was revealed that Interplay would retain the rights to sell the classic titles until today, December 31, 2013. That said, don't expect Fallout to stay gone for long. It's only a matter of time before the new rights holders strike a deal with GoG and get the post-apocalypse rolling again.

Only GOG? Doesn't Steam sell it too?

Trishbot:
Meanwhile, when Capcom's license expires, they see it as a means to hold a big sales event to milk their fans with more on-disc DLC content instead of just, you know, unlocking that content...

Still can't believe Jill and Shuma-Gorath are forever locked on some players discs now, unable to get the unlock key because they were tagged as "DLC" by Capcom's marketing...

You know that's more Marvel (Disney), Capcom probably wouldn't have cared but the characters in the game are licensed from Marvel/Disney. I still have a hard time believing they did it to Jill as she's a Capcom character, but since she's part of the MvC package they probably had to throw her out as well. Yes they're gone but if you were able to download them, you still can in the future. They even lowered the price for Jill, Shuma, and the Digital Version of UMvC3, so if people missed out it's on them. The flip side of that is they pulled a fast one by announcing it in short form and when their own fucking tournament was going on. I doubt it was all their fault, but they sure as hell didn't make an effort to let people know.

As long as they don't remove the games from my account, it could be worse. People should take it as an example of how fast games can vanish from digital distribution platforms, though.

Longstreet:

Oh boy, look forward to run into raiders and rad scorpions before reaching the first settlement. :D

I built an old PC two months ago. I put those Fallout installers on there from the free giveaway, but they said the OS needed upgraded (Windows 98). I installed them on my desktop, then transferred the program files, and I've been going through Fallout 1. I've never played the original Fallouts, so it's really nice that I'm playing them on hardware they were meant to be played on.

-Dragmire-:

IanDavis:

Only GOG? Doesn't Steam sell it too?

It's still for sale on Steam, I suspect its due to Bethesda already having a distribution agreement with Valve but nothing with GOG (at this time).

It'll be back. It'll always be back. Because war never changes.

I took advantage of it going for free. Just out of curiosity,who was not able to grab it?

Twenty Ninjas:
Holy shit I was about to commence frantic downloading when I read the title. Good thing they're still available if you got them.

Having finished Fallout 1 yesterday due to GOG's huge generosity, I was really thankful for the offer. In fact I think I'm going to end the year with a Fallout 2 gaming marathon. For old times' sake.

If its your first time playing fallout 2, please check the NoMutantsallowed for patches.

The game is glitchy as hell, but that website has brilliant game fixing and enhancing patches

I have them on discs, on Steam and thanks to the giveaway, on GOG.

Now, think about it: "Oh, you won't allow us to sell these games anymore starting with Jan 1st? Alright. We'll give them for free then."
Classiest "Fuck you" ever.

Covarr:
Wasn't this exactly the reason they gave it away in the first place?

P.S. Thanks

I thought it was one final "screw you" to Bethesda from Interplay and Bethesda is punishing GoG for facilitating the event or something.

chiefohara:

If its your first time playing fallout 2, please check the NoMutantsallowed for patches.

The game is glitchy as hell, but that website has brilliant game fixing and enhancing patches

Thanks, but I'm already a long-time Fallout 2 veteran. Never got around to playing F1 for some reason though. I guess the time limit intimidated me.

This is a BS "news" story. The headline reads like this was unexpected, but it was not unexpected. Headline reads like older Fallout Games are gone for good, but they are not. At worst, Bethesda will do a re-release of them to be sold in stores for a year and then start selling them again online (probably through GoG, but maybe through Steam as well).

I will say the DRM-free bit is probably the greatest loss. But I do not make many purchase decision based on DRM (except for SimCity, worst DRM ever).

Good thing I ninja'd these a few weeks ago. Haven't even installed yet but they'll chunk up my PC backlog nicely.

...So, the Falout MMO's definetely not going to happen?

Money on the table.

I got the freebies, and actually still have the disc copies. Give me a hard copy over digital distribution any day. This is one of the very best series from the Black Isle era crpg, and simply a must play title for anyone that enjoys a good role playing game. A shame it's off of GOG's catalog.

I imagine that I can expect to see Bethesda to recycle the first two games into more ultimately bland, boring and kinda disappointing sandbox titles.

Kheapathic:

Trishbot:

You know that's more Marvel (Disney), Capcom probably wouldn't have cared but the characters in the game are licensed from Marvel/Disney. I still have a hard time believing they did it to Jill as she's a Capcom character, but since she's part of the MvC package they probably had to throw her out as well. Yes they're gone but if you were able to download them, you still can in the future. They even lowered the price for Jill, Shuma, and the Digital Version of UMvC3, so if people missed out it's on them. The flip side of that is they pulled a fast one by announcing it in short form and when their own fucking tournament was going on. I doubt it was all their fault, but they sure as hell didn't make an effort to let people know.

I paid full price for a MvC. As far as I'm concerned they can fuck themselves for not giving me the entire game i paid for. Especially after fucking me about by then bringing out an "ultimate MvC"

No. Not good enough. Never good enough. They are bold face ripping people off and there is no excuse. Ever.

I've had the disks for these three for 5+ years. While I have yet to put them back on my PC, I regard them to be very solid games and happy to have them in my collection. While I was a bit disappointed it wasn't "Wasteland II" when Fallout 1 came out, but I still revere these as some of the best games in my collection. A solid system of mechanics, an interesting backdrop and great story.

Well, almost.

I found Fallout to be the best of them, and while the timer could ruin the game for you, I find it stands out best because Black Isle didn't let Chris Avellone run away with them.

Fallout 2 had great improvements, but their decision to include Animaniacs references (among other things, like say, Magic: The Gathering) slapped a date on what should have been a timeless classic. While it was hardly bad enough to ruin the game, it was a bit of annoyance that hung in the back of my head. Especially after meeting "Pinky and the Brain."

Fallout Tactics also had improvements over the other two. I loved being able to use cover and elevations, but it was just a collection of scenarios. It was fun to play through a second time a few years ago, but I did wish they had a bit more than it just being a PvP oriented game with a bunch of maps and some flavor tacked on to it; although I admit the flavor was pretty well done. I noticed that this game pretty much failed with this idea in spite of PvP starting to be popular at the time.

On Topic: (Geez, wrote all that and realized I didn't make an on topic comment)
It's a shame something couldn't have been worked out. These are excellent titles and doesn't even Interplay or EA get some benefit out of this? I can't remember what happened to the licensing of this title once Black Isle closed down. Probably because I have the disks.

Longstreet:

get high agility and be sure to use VATS when you shoot the nasty buggers.
I recommend you look for the deathclaw den somewhere in the game, it's all kinds of horrible!

major_chaos:

Sitting on an IP means not developing any new games for it... Bethesda acquired the rights to the Fallout IP in 2006(7?), and promptly did something with it in the form of Fallout 3. Then they published New Vegas, and you can be damn sure that there's a Fallout 4 on the horizon just as surely as there is an Elder Scrolls VI.

Gather:
I thought it was one final "screw you" to Bethesda from Interplay and Bethesda is punishing GoG for facilitating the event or something.

CriticalMiss:
Even though I got the games already, I hope Bethesda don't put them back up but at an inflated price.

Prime_Hunter_H01:
I'm just gonna indulge my paranoia and back up the installers, just in case.

People also seem to forget that, not only are Bethesda still hosting the earliest games in their own franchise (Arena and Daggerfall), they are hosting them for free.

Laurents van Cauwenberghe:

Longstreet:

get high agility and be sure to use VATS when you shoot the nasty buggers.
I recommend you look for the deathclaw den somewhere in the game, it's all kinds of horrible!

I HAVE played other fallout games (that is 3 and NV) and usually i follow this simple rule

Stay the fuck away from deathclaws unless you have a really "this will fuck you up" gun. This goes especially for den's.
Although there was an addendum to this rule in NV, avoid cazadores like the plague.

Anyway, sorry to tell you, i won't be taking the latter part of your advice.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here