Marvel Reveals Official Guardians of the Galaxy Synopsis

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Marvel Reveals Official Guardians of the Galaxy Synopsis

The official synopsis reveals that the fate of the galaxy is once again at stake in the upcoming film in Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the stranger Marvel titles out there, following the adventures of a group of alien heroes as they tangle with the Kree, the Shi'ar, and super villain Thanos. Marvel has released the official synopsis for the upcoming film, a few days after releasing the first screenshot.

Guardians of the Galaxy stars Chris Pratt as Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, who finds himself the target of a manhunt after stealing a mysterious orb. Ronan (Lee Pace), the film's villain, is relentlessly pursuing the orb. Quill must join forces with four unlikely teammates: Rocket Raccoon, a gun slinging raccoon (Bradley Cooper); a sentient tree named Groot (Vin Diesel); the enigmatic, green warrior Gamora (ZoŽ Saldana); and the vengeful Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista). A common theme in superhero movies, the ragtag band must save the galaxy from the threat that Ronan and the orb presents. You can read the full synopsis on Marvel's official site.

Guardians of the Galaxy has been lining up an impressive cast. The film features Micheal Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, with John C. Reilly, Glenn Close as Commander Rael, and Benicio del Toro as The Collector. Guardians of the Galaxy will be directed by James Gunn, whose credits include writing for the game Lollipop Chainsaw and both writing and directing the film Slither. Gunn also produced the screenplay for Guardians of the Galaxy, based on the story written by Nicole Perlman and Gunn.

Guardians of the Galaxy releases August 1, 2014 in the United States. Other upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe films include: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, due out April 4, 2014; Avengers: Age of Ultron releasing May 1, 2015; and Ant-Man, starring Paul Rudd and scheduled for July 31, 2015.

Source: Marvel

Could not be less impressed. Superhero genre in comics has been hemorrhaged with cliches and terrible writing for decades, and now they are bringing it all to big screen. Sorry, but as a writer, I just dont see a single interesting thing in this. Story looks boring, characters look boring (Bautista is a terrible actor), and this whole thing looks so damn silly. Sorry to the fans, but I just cant take this seriously one bit.

Mmm interesting roster, isn't Drax a villain and I thought that green woman was Mantis? Also isn't Star-Lord is a a cyborg of some kind? Lastly man Rocket Racoon look slim compared to his comicbook apperance.
Either way I am more hype up!

It's a different super-hero movie at least. Hopefully it can stay up to Marvel's standards of at least fun popcorn movies. Though I hope for more, it's probably not going to change Marvel's plans for their other franchises anyhow.

AJey:
Could not be less impressed. Superhero genre in comics has been hemorrhaged with cliches and terrible writing for decades, and now they are bringing it all to big screen. Sorry, but as a writer, I just dont see a single interesting thing in this. Story looks boring, characters look boring (Bautista is a terrible actor), and this whole thing looks so damn silly. Sorry to the fans, but I just cant take this seriously one bit.

You're a writer?
Cool, I could use something good to read, and sounding by your reply here, you should know your stuff.
Where can I find your books and under what name have you published them.
After reading though Frank Herbert, H.P. Lovecraft, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and George Orwell I could use some change of writers.

As for the movie, no idea. I will see how it ends up, but as it stands... a bit silly.
But then, when you read the synopsis on Thor, you would think so too, and it turned into a pretty fun movie.

I always thought Vin Diesel was kind of a wooden actor, but this is just silly :D
I actually don't know about any of these characters (except for rocket raccoon, and that's only from UMvC) so I don't know what to expect. Actually, I do. I expect Star fox quotes when my friends see Rocket Raccoon. but besides that? I dunno. could be good.

this is a terribad or awesome flip up...its either going to work or fall on its arse...i have a feeling they just might pull it off however...

it is a terribly important film as Marvel want to start moving into exploiting the more "far out" parts of their universe...and they're going to know that...and if it does suck on first (internal) viewing i think you can expect rewrites and reshoots etc, etc until they feel they've got something at least good enough...

...like i said they are going to absolutely know this film is pretty much pivotally key to expanding what they can move forward with and into in the future...

and they can't offhandedly ignore a big "connected" ensemble piece like this after the fact like they could if one of the new single hero movies falls on its arse...like they could with say...Antman...

in short i think you can expect an "all hands on deck approach" to making sure this is at least a decent and watchable picture.

and they certainly have some decent hands...to hand...

The main character wears a red vest with a blue under shirt. I feel like I've seen that outfit a lot, I just can't remember
where.

He's also looks like an uninterested slub. The kinda guy who's on a couch when he's introduced. I haven't read the comics, so maybe this guy is actually a blast when he shows up.

I'm still excited though. from the wiki, his early life is comedy gold. I'm also assuming he'll get into a more interesting custome. Kinda like Tony Stark and the Iron Man suit.

I think they're overestimating how much weirdness people are willing to take in movies. Just because everyone liked the Avengers doesn't mean the signed on for the stranger bits of comic-dom.

I can't say this sounds too promising, but i'm pretty burned out on superheroes so that might be the problem. I just really find it hard to care about all these "nerd-movies" or whatever Moviebob would call them, it's getting boring. I'd rather just get back to the old style of simple cop action movies of the olden days, where the climax involves two guys punching each other at a rundown factory instead of all these movies with racoons fighting space dinosaurs, or whatever :p. Maybe i'm just getting old... I guess Avengers was the last straw for me.

AJey:

I don't need to be a writer to say I smell some serious bull coming out of you. And being a 'writer' as you apparently claim gives no real validation or backing to what is otherwise just one little joe-shmoe's opinion. And yes, thank you for telling us that a wrestler who has been in a mindblowing 7 flicks (most of which straight to DVD), his massive film career is full of nothing but bombs.

Sarcasm aside, being a 'writer' means jack squat if you're going to spout the same general nonsense that almost any comic-movie-hater throws out. And depending on the roll, Batista could actually be pretty decent, if good, in the movie. It's as much the director and script as it is the actor when it comes to their portrayal of the character. It's just easier (and lazier) to assign blame to the actor alone.

I've already expressed my interest to see this movie in previous posts. So I'm gonna offer some speculation on how this will connect to the previous movies and Thanos in the spoiler box.

The only thing this movie has going for it is that everyone is ether expecting it to fail or doesn't care, which means if does fail it won't do anything bad to marvel, however it turns out at least half decent or better it's just going to boost marvel even more than they already are.

Sounds awfully Silver Age to me. This must be seen without any common sense, as per tradition of the time.

cursedseishi:

AJey:

I don't need to be a writer to say I smell some serious bull coming out of you. And being a 'writer' as you apparently claim gives no real validation or backing to what is otherwise just one little joe-shmoe's opinion. And yes, thank you for telling us that a wrestler who has been in a mindblowing 7 flicks (most of which straight to DVD), his massive film career is full of nothing but bombs.

Sarcasm aside, being a 'writer' means jack squat if you're going to spout the same general nonsense that almost any comic-movie-hater throws out. And depending on the roll, Batista could actually be pretty decent, if good, in the movie. It's as much the director and script as it is the actor when it comes to their portrayal of the character. It's just easier (and lazier) to assign blame to the actor alone.

I'm sorry, but I have trouble understanding where all your claims are coming from. First of all, by claiming to be a writer I do not demand validation. Writer is simply a perspective. I dont mean to assume a higher intellectual position by stating my profession, just a point of view - as someone who has previously created fictional worlds, I have my share of doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Secondly, I never intended my words to be anything else but opinion, because I indeed am just another joe-shmoe, with my personal tastes, and standards, and interests. I dont understand why you are so passive-aggressive about it.

Thirdly, I hate neither mediums you mentioned. Although I was not raised in comic book-saturated environment, I value their input into the culture over the decades. I grew up loving X-Men, I enjoyed Iron man and Spider Man cartoons, and I was pleasantly surprise with comic book transition onto the big screen. First Iron Man is the best superhero movie yet. X-Men First Class finally put character into character development. And Avengers revolutionized how we perceive movie continuity. So I have no idea why you assume I hate comics or movies. All I do is criticize them when I see something wrong (and yes, 'wrong' might be subjective most times). Look at movie release list for the next few years. It's over-saturated with superhero movies. And no, not everything related to superheroes is good. Comics are riddled with terrible characters, bad writing, and many worlds that are just extended piles of crap. So of course I dont want to see them on big screens. How does that make me a hater?

They guy who wrote Lollipop Chainsaw is directing this movie? Sold. Just, sold. This movie and the characters in it are already shaping up to be so off the wall that I'm looking forward to seeing it. Marvel has been having a fairly solid track record with their movies, and I have faith that they will pull this off.
But hearing that the guy who wrote LC--a game that is about as crazy as I've ever seen--is going to be in charge of what appears to be the craziest Marvel film is solid gold. Can't wait.

AJey:

Stephanie Meyers is also a writer. What does "as a writer" have to do with it?

The more I hear about this, the more gleefully bizarre it sounds, like an old Flash Gordon adventure. I really hope they can pull this off and perhaps do something that even stands toe to toe with 'Hellboy 2' in terms of sheer imagination and fantasy.

Zachary Amaranth:

AJey:

Ninja'd damnit. Also you'd think a writer would be able to use contractions properly :) Come to think of it, that's not how one uses the word "hemorrhaged", unless he meant that all the bad writing had bled out leaving only literary gold.

OT: Since when is it a "common theme" that a superhero team has to save the galaxy? So far the only "save the galaxy" superhero movies I can think of is the aforementioned Thor 2 and possibly Green Lantern.

I wasn't sure about this movie until I saw the teaser. Now i'm pretty optimistic.

Look, there's going to be a raccoon strapped with every gun known and unknown to man unloading said guns in gratuitous fashion while most likely piggy-backing on the shoulder of a giant sentient tree yelling it's name over and over again and flailing around while most likely firing it's own platitude of weapons in a gratuitous fashion

In Space

Fuck you, I'm going to see this movie and I'm going to enjoy it.

Am I the only one crossing my fingers that this becomes practically a Doctor Who spoof? Because, let's be honest, if you're going to do cosmic crazy, you might as well go to Doctor-Who-grade crazy (plus, if the end sequence of Thor The Dark World is any indication, it's that the recycled scifi aesthetic is apparently the direction they're going with the cosmic-space stuff and that it could work).

Also, is it just me, or does the raccoon appear to be the only character to have his shit together in this picture?

Coakle:
The main character wears a red vest with a blue under shirt. I feel like I've seen that outfit a lot, I just can't remember
where.

He's also looks like an uninterested slub. The kinda guy who's on a couch when he's introduced. I haven't read the comics, so maybe this guy is actually a blast when he shows up.

I'm still excited though. from the wiki, his early life is comedy gold. I'm also assuming he'll get into a more interesting custome. Kinda like Tony Stark and the Iron Man suit.

Philip J. Fry?

Zachary Amaranth:

AJey:

Oh, snap. Shit just got serious.

As a side note (this is directed at AJey's comment) cliches and terrible writing aren't the only thing there is in a movie. Also, when have cliches ever made something bad? Just because something has been used before doesn't mean it can't be used well. Also also, you haven't even seen the script yet. I could summarize The Great Gatsby as "a love story gone bad" (I wouldn't be wrong), but as a writer you're probably required to have a shrine to Fitzgerald somewhere in your home. Alsox3, what's wrong with superhero stories being silly? If you want a serious business superhero story (that's also well-written and subverts cliches), then go read Worm or something.

OP: This looks rather wizard and I like the Cosmic Marvel Universe. I hope Pace does well as Ronan. I also think that in that shot, Gamora looks like Samuel L Jackson with long hair; it's kinda freaking me out.

The Gentleman:
Am I the only one crossing my fingers that this becomes practically a Doctor Who spoof? Because, let's be honest, if you're going to do cosmic crazy, you might as well go to Doctor-Who-grade crazy (plus, if the end sequence of Thor The Dark World is any indication, it's that the recycled scifi aesthetic is apparently the direction they're going with the cosmic-space stuff and that it could work).

Also, is it just me, or does the raccoon appear to be the only character to have his shit together in this picture?

Generally he does in the comics too. It's part of the joke.

Colour me excited. I have a good feeling about this movie! I'm hoping it's going to turn out to be a fun action adventure movie, along the lines of Indiana Jones and Conan. But in space, with a raccoon and a tree.

Kuratius:

Coakle:
where.

Philip J. Fry?

I thought it was that or Travis Touchdown, but they had a white undershirt.

Then I realized it's Clark Kent from Smallville.

Nimzabaat:

Ninja'd damnit. Also you'd think a writer would be able to use contractions properly :) Come to think of it, that's not how one uses the word "hemorrhaged", unless he meant that all the bad writing had bled out leaving only literary gold.

In fairness, trying to get published has given me a fairly critical view of other published works. I'm amazed how many professionals make some fairly basic mistakes and how little actual proofreading goes on in major works. Also, I can understand the difference between formal writing and the sort of stuff you'd want to get published. Half the time, I don't even check my posts here for spelling.

Still....

AJey:

Thirdly, I hate neither mediums you mentioned. Although I was not raised in comic book-saturated environment, I value their input into the culture over the decades. I grew up loving X-Men, I enjoyed Iron man and Spider Man cartoons, and I was pleasantly surprise with comic book transition onto the big screen. First Iron Man is the best superhero movie yet. X-Men First Class finally put character into character development. And Avengers revolutionized how we perceive movie continuity. So I have no idea why you assume I hate comics or movies. All I do is criticize them when I see something wrong (and yes, 'wrong' might be subjective most times). Look at movie release list for the next few years. It's over-saturated with superhero movies. And no, not everything related to superheroes is good. Comics are riddled with terrible characters, bad writing, and many worlds that are just extended piles of crap. So of course I dont want to see them on big screens. How does that make me a hater?

Well for one thing all we've seen is a synopsis and a single screen cap and some people are already being overly critical of it, yourself included. I mean they made the Avengers work, where in a Norse God, a radioactive berserker, a few government spies, and a man in a high tech iron suit fought a bunch of aliens in downtown New York. So why not a cheesy space flick? The silliest idea's can still have good writing applied to it, so you're a little early talking it down from that angle when we haven't even seen a trailer for it.

Zachary Amaranth:

AJey:

A perspective. As a person who creates fictional worlds and characters, I look at other creations a tad bit differently, that's it.

RandV80:

AJey:

Well for one thing all we've seen is a synopsis and a single screen cap and some people are already being overly critical of it, yourself included. I mean they made the Avengers work, where in a Norse God, a radioactive berserker, a few government spies, and a man in a high tech iron suit fought a bunch of aliens in downtown New York. So why not a cheesy space flick? The silliest idea's can still have good writing applied to it, so you're a little early talking it down from that angle when we haven't even seen a trailer for it.

I'm not criticizing the synopsis or the movie. I'm criticizing the source material. From what I've read, Guardians of the Galaxy do not impress me one bit. As for Avengers, well, in my opinion it worked because it was the first of its kind. If you look at it a bit closer, it has so many silly mistakes, and contradictions, and inconsistencies, that it's not even funny. Like Banner all of a sudden can control Hulk, or that Black Widow can fight on par with super humans, monsters and a bloody god.

You're right, maybe I am in the wrong criticizing a future project based solely on source material. We'll see.

AJey:

Zachary Amaranth:

AJey:

A perspective. As a person who creates fictional worlds and characters, I look at other creations a tad bit differently, that's it.

I think everyone's main point is that your claim to be a writer has nothing to do with what you said. I'm just throwing that out there. Also, that you based everything on an image and a short synopsis, which is not something a writer should ever do... I'm just saying.

AJey:
So I have no idea why you assume I hate comics or movies.

To be fair, when you say that comics have been inundated with cliches and bad writing for decades and now they're bringing that to the big screen, it's very easy to come to the conclusion that you don't like either. In fact, it's the only logical conclusion anyone could actually draw from your original statements as you worded them. If that wasn't your intended message then fair enough, but you may want to word your statements a bit more carefully next time so the confusion is avoided.

AJey:

cursedseishi:

AJey:

I'm sorry, but I have trouble understanding where all your claims are coming from. First of all, by claiming to be a writer I do not demand validation. Writer is simply a perspective. I dont mean to assume a higher intellectual position by stating my profession, just a point of view - as someone who has previously created fictional worlds, I have my share of doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Secondly, I never intended my words to be anything else but opinion, because I indeed am just another joe-shmoe, with my personal tastes, and standards, and interests. I dont understand why you are so passive-aggressive about it.

First off, I gotta congratulate you. You took something I said that wasn't aimed at you, and completely focused upon it by insinuating that I was calling you that, in this case a "comic-movie-hater", for what amounts to more than half of your post.

As a "writer", you should be able to offer up more to the discussion than some general crap that I can see from some random individual online. You said "as a writer, <x> is boring, <y> is boring, and <z> is silly". Again, congratulations on such an in-depth breakdown on what is pretty much just a press release reminding us who the actors in this movie are, and the bare-bones idea of the movie plot. I'm happy to know you have an inside-view on just what the script entails well before anyone in the general public has seen it.

Besides, off of your other posts here, Justice League was the first "big-time super hero team-up", not Avengers. 3 year difference there. The only way you'd be right in your statement of it being the first of its kind was if you were referring to the movies, which Marvel has been taking some creative liberty with to begin with in a sort of "based off of yet not exclusively comic" way.

You also make the fundamental mistake of assuming that Banner was controlling the Hulk, when the movie went to great lengths to tell you no, no he doesn't. That's even ignoring the fact that, much like Superman and the mary-sue nature of his powers, the writers tend to shift about the nature of the transformation. What has remained thematically consistent though with the character IS that Banner has had, on occasions, been allowed full control temporarily of The Hulk. What he doesn't have, however, is full control all the time like you were assuming. The only line in the movie that even alludes to any hint of control is the "I'm always angry" comment he makes. Which again, means he has some level of control over the transformation itself, not the Hulk that comes with it.

Or that you are questioning how a highly trained human can keep up with a god, while failing to question how a multi-billionaire with fancy gadgets, a guy with a shield, and another highly trained human can keep up with a "god". If I wanted to be a real arse I could construe some sort of hidden sexism on your part in not questioning Hawkeye's capabilities and choosing only to focus on Black Widow with that comment. Or missing the concept that Thor isn't a "god" in the true sense of the term, and that their entire race is more so based upon an extremely technologically advanced society whose concept is based upon a real world mythos, and whose existence had sparked the concept of the mythology in the Marvel universe. Marvel's Norse is not Real World Norse.

With all that snark out of the way, I'll boil it down to this.
If you've bothered to pay any attention at all to the comics, and to the movies, then you would realize that there are already differences between the comic continuity and film continuity. While characters are, obviously enough, existing in both, their stories as well as the stories that play out are at best inspired by the comics, but can differentiate at times radically from said sources (see Iron Man 3 for a rather quick and easy example).

Judging the movie by its comics is a weak way to try and grasp at how the movie will turn out because of that simple fact. The source material, at best, will give you an idea of the characters capabilities and a vague concept of what their origins might entail in the movie proper. Yet considering the characters of this particular movie, Marvel might allow much more leeway with their movie-based characters than they would for, say, the big names like Hulk or Iron Man.

King Whurdler:
The more I hear about this, the more gleefully bizarre it sounds, like an old Flash Gordon adventure. I really hope they can pull this off and perhaps do something that even stands toe to toe with 'Hellboy 2' in terms of sheer imagination and fantasy.

If they do it right it should be less "Superhero" and more "Cantina or Jabba's Palace from Star Wars" type movies. A pack of rougish antiheroes off on a space adventure with wacky talking animals and a tree. I mean seriously? we all grew up on droids, jawa's and Wookies, and this is making us nervous? This seems weird?

Look try this. Forget that this comes from a comic book. Forget the Marvel Universe element. Ask yourselves if you read that synopsis abbout a forthcoming SciFi movie, would that spark your interest? Does it seem odd for a SciFi action adventure?

And yeah some casting seems odd on the surface until you think it through. "Vin Diesel is wooden" etc. But then lets not forget that Vin was the voice of the Iron Giant. "I'm Sooperman!" Not a dry eye in the house. As far as Bautiste as Drax. It's not exactly a role that would require great range or nuance. Basically must be big, muscular, have an ability to fake acts of violence, and have no known allergies to green paint. The only casting that worries me a little is Zoe Saldana. Her kind of one note roles of "angry [insert random color here] woman with attitude" is starting to wear a bit thin. "ooo she's green this time!"

I'm hoping for something different from this one.

This is either going to be the best thing ever or the worst.

That doesn't matter, I'm going to enjoy it anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here