Skywind, the Morrowind-in-Skyrim Mod, Gets Impressive Dev Video

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Skywind, the Morrowind-in-Skyrim Mod, Gets Impressive Dev Video

The incredibly ambitious Skywind team now stands at over 70 members, including 30 dedicated voice actors.

Move over Falskaar, it seems like the Skywind team is also vying for the title of "Most Ambitious Skyrim Mod". An official developer video for the mod, which aims to port the entirety of 2002's Morrowind into 2011's Skyrim, has surfaced, showing us that the game has become much more ambitious in recent months. The video reveals that while the project started with just 8 members in 2012, the team has now grown to over 70 members, including 30 dedicated voice actors.

"Unlike Morroblivion, it's predecessor, the team did not want to just directly port the game into the updated engine," says the video, explaining that the team wanted to create something that could be embraced by both Bethesda, and the Elder Scrolls community.

It explains that Morrowind, by today's gaming standards, is pretty lackluster. It's environments are very barren and plain, so a direct port would not be particularly impressive. So, the team has worked tirelessly to re-create all of the old game's locations using assets and techniques from modern game design.

Custom creature, environment, and weapon and armor models help the mod stand out from vanilla Skyrim, and the mod will be, of course, fully-voiced acted.

If you'd like to know more about the mod, or, you'd like to lend your skills, be sure to check out the official forum. There's no official release date for the mod yet, but when it is, it will be a free download, although it requires a copy of the original Morrowind to play.

Source: YouTube

I will even pay to play this mod, this looks fantastic and it is exactly what I need to finish my Skyrim play through. I'm still spewin' we didn't get a last piece of DLC that took us to Dragonstar, but this will do in its place.

Amazing. Cannot wait to play it, wouldn't even have minded it if it was without the voiceacting. I mean, this is the kind of stuff I would have given money to see, and we're getting it for free ;_;.

I've always wanted to be a voice actor, might throw my hat into the ring, also is this a kickstarter thing? if so where can I donate? to play this for free would be robbery plain and simple

This is coming along nicely. I really hope they take the time to also perhaps bring back some of the mechanics of Morrowind and replace the god awful ones of Skyrim.

Clive Howlitzer:
This is coming along nicely. I really hope they take the time to also perhaps bring back some of the mechanics of Morrowind and replace the god awful ones of Skyrim.

alot of thats hardcoded in the skyrim engine. looks impressive but i cautiously wait till its finished which is frankly a pretty rare occurance for total conversions of this size. i distinctly remember a team attempting the same thing in the oblivion engine but while it looked good in the videos they never did finish it

You see, in days where the triple A publishers are trying to squeeze all life out of the medium in order to strip everything down to that perfect winning formula, it's stuff like this right here that continues to keep me optimistic about video games. Gah just look at what the little guy is pulling off these days without the big publishers behind them.
Damn it this is amazing
One day I am really going to have to throw a couple hundred bucks at the grinder to build a gaming PC...and you know actually find someone who can make it because I am not that technologically inclined.

pretty impressive.
i wonder if in the future forums just get together to develope games in order to have new and exiting games and to finance their site.

It is indeed not fully finished but can already be tried regardless. I have no idea how good it is at present though, because you also need both expansions to morrowind. I never got those.

But hey, this is a game from 2002 we're talking about here right? I'm sure you can get both for like, 5 bucks. So let me just pop onto steam and... Wait, what??? 20 freaking bucks??? Games from 2012 were cheaper than that in the last steam sale! And I don't even need the base game, it's sitting right there in my games cupboard. (In a position of honor ofcourse, so as to let it judge over all lesser games.) But buying the expansions individually on amazon is somehow more expensive?!

I could live without full voice acting, but whatever. If they want to pull it off (and can), more power to them I guess.

Really excited, yet trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

What worries me the most is their intention to add voice acting, this probably means that they'll revert the majority of NPCs to being boring and devoid of personality again, undoing the work of the Less Generic NPC project which REALLY helped Morrowind feel like a world inhabited by actual characters. Recording all the lines of the LGNPC project would be really REALLY ambitious, and frankly it's more work than I could reasonably expect anyone to put in.

There's also the fact that, well, not to insult anyone, but their voice-actors are still amateurs, even with 30 of them there I'm bracing myself for a repeat of Oblivion in this respect, "more believable" is not exactly the word that springs to mind.

And honestly, I don't see why the game needs voice acting, unless it's a simple case of not being able to get a reasonable text-based interface to work. If a text interface could be worked in, then the voice acting seems like a terrible load of work for little reward.

But eh, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, even if what I've heard so far isn't all THAT encouraging.

But perhaps I'm just biased against voice-acting, since I have pretty much always look at it as the primary reason why the RPG genre has become so shallow, with voice acting taking precedence over a detailed void with complex tasks and lots of dialogue options.

Still, I'm excited as hell, even if the project doesn't turn out just how I envision it should be I'm still gonna play it and probably enjoy it a lot.

I hope that what comes next after the project is done is an effort to import some of the fantastic content expansion mods into the new mod, especially things like Rise of House Telvanni and the main quest dungeon expansions.

Just what I wanted. Morrowind with Skyrim's gameplay and graphics. What's not to love? I'm so excited. I can't wait.

Nice job, but it'll never be finished.

Bethesda has strict rules regarding modding, among them it bans porting assets from other games and Skywind has been doing pretty much just that for the past year or so.
A project like Falskaar or Beyond Skyrim they don't have an issue with because those projects are done either with Skyrim's assets or they create their own.
At this point Skywind is not a mod, it is a fanmade port and I don't know if Bethesda approves of it.

Will there be Cliff Racers? ^^

Josh12345:
Nice job, but it'll never be finished.

Bethesda has strict rules regarding modding, among them it bans porting assets from other games and Skywind has been doing pretty much just that for the past year or so.
A project like Falskaar or Beyond Skyrim they don't have an issue with because those projects are done either with Skyrim's assets or they create their own.
At this point Skywind is not a mod, it is a fanmade port and I don't know if Bethesda approves of it.

Requiem for a wasteland was a direct port. Bethesda didn't care.

This is just recreating and updating models. Because there is no way those houses are directly from Morrowind. Those cobblestones would have killed a computer or console of that era. They would need to make models from scratch, because the vanilla model quality by today's standards is pure ass.

I think Bethesda should get behind these modders and give them resources and co release it if possible - if need be. I would pay full price for this game day one. I love Morrowind, its a million times better than both Oblivion and Skyrim - and im talking about playing vanilla morrowind. :-)

Come on Bethesda, gives these guys a helping hand and get the best rpg ever made released.

Akisa:

There will be all the cliff racers you could ever want, and then some!

This is now the best birthday ever.

Great video, cannot wait to get my hands on Skywind.

Hero in a half shell:

Akisa:

I had thought I could have finally hung up my Daedric bow "Featherless". I had thought my campaign against those horrid screamers was at an end and I could enjoy peace and solitude. Now I learn that my work has only begun. Come here Cliff Racers, come here and say hello to my little friend.

O.T, I am so looking forward to this. I hope they include the expansion packs.

Hero in a half shell:

Akisa:

staying true to the original I see.

bringer of illumination:
Really excited, yet trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

What worries me the most is their intention to add voice acting, this probably means that they'll revert the majority of NPCs to being boring and devoid of personality again, undoing the work of the Less Generic NPC project which REALLY helped Morrowind feel like a world inhabited by actual characters. Recording all the lines of the LGNPC project would be really REALLY ambitious, and frankly it's more work than I could reasonably expect anyone to put in.

There's also the fact that, well, not to insult anyone, but their voice-actors are still amateurs, even with 30 of them there I'm bracing myself for a repeat of Oblivion in this respect, "more believable" is not exactly the word that springs to mind.

And honestly, I don't see why the game needs voice acting, unless it's a simple case of not being able to get a reasonable text-based interface to work. If a text interface could be worked in, then the voice acting seems like a terrible load of work for little reward.

But eh, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, even if what I've heard so far isn't all THAT encouraging.

But perhaps I'm just biased against voice-acting, since I have pretty much always look at it as the primary reason why the RPG genre has become so shallow, with voice acting taking precedence over a detailed void with complex tasks and lots of dialogue options.

Still, I'm excited as hell, even if the project doesn't turn out just how I envision it should be I'm still gonna play it and probably enjoy it a lot.

I hope that what comes next after the project is done is an effort to import some of the fantastic content expansion mods into the new mod, especially things like Rise of House Telvanni and the main quest dungeon expansions.

I don't think it's your bias speaking. As someone who loves voice acting in RPG's this is my main concern as well.

Morrowind has a lot of lines. I would be concerned with a team of 100 professional voice actors. 30 amateurs? I just can't see it working. I don't mean any insult to those trying, i am impressed by their ambition and dedication, but the stigma attached to amateur actors is there for a reason. I hope they find a way to make it work.

They HAVE TO cut down some of the dialogue if they want a manageable size. Off the top of my head, just Nibani Maesa has huge amount of unique dialogue to voice, not to mention little advice/secret and latest rumour topics.

If this is relatively solid, I might very well set about installing and recreating my Nerevarine. Just need those mods for strongholds...

Did anyone else noticed that they managed to recreate scenes from the Skyrim trailer form 7:55 onwards?

But yeah I really hope this happens and that they reach some sort of an agreement with Bethesda and be allowed to release it.

Unless it's a total conversion, what I'd like to know is how they're going to have you go back in time from 4E 201 to 3E 427. What Vvardenfell is at 4E201 is a smouldering pile of lava, ash, and ruins after the Red Year.

Fantastic. Hopefully it won't take long until someone out there does the inevitable and merges Skyrim and Skywind so that you can travel between the two and play both storylines within one game.

They should insert all this hard work into the actual lore. If and when TES VI ever comes out, the lore should still be that Vvardenfell was mostly destroyed by the Red Mountain, but a dedicated group of engineers and social workers had restored Morrowind in very fast time.

I wish it was a true conversion. Make your own spells. Extra clothes to wear underneath armor for enchantments. If I could get the depth of Morrowinds system on to the engine and fighting of skyrim I would probably never need a new game.

So, who is taking bets how long till they sue them?
You know, morrowoblivion is actually made illegal and is considered akin to piracy to bethesda.

wombat_of_war:
i distinctly remember a team attempting the same thing in the oblivion engine but while it looked good in the videos they never did finish it

Thats likely because it was taken down from all "official" mod websites (it was playable) due to bethesda going all legal on them. They made that mod illegal because it was "theft of morrowind" even thought you needed morrowind installed to make it work since it used morowind files in oblivion engine.

Chester Rabbit:

One day I am really going to have to throw a couple hundred bucks at the grinder to build a gaming PC...and you know actually find someone who can make it because I am not that technologically inclined.

Do you have kids in your extended family? most 10 year olds could put a PC together, its that standartized now. Of couse you could just find somone to do it for 50 bucks if you dont want to bother.

As long as Hainab is still stealing pants, I look forward to this.

What's not to like?

008Zulu:

Hero in a half shell:

Akisa:

I had thought I could have finally hung up my Daedric bow "Featherless". I had thought my campaign against those horrid screamers was at an end and I could enjoy peace and solitude. Now I learn that my work has only begun. Come here Cliff Racers, come here and say hello to my little friend.

Since the enemies use the animation of already existing Skyrim enemies, I wonder if Cliff Racers will fight like Dragons... swooping around you like vultures, dive bombs when they take damage and they might even have a breath attack that gives you Diseases and Blight!

You know a team is very dedicated to making a world mod when they've made a creature out of scratch, modeled it, and gave it an animation without just coding over another existing creature. That there shows me they're dead serious about making this mod a reality. Watching that whole trailer made me smile and want to do everything I can to help the modders out.

Alas, my voice isn't... top notch for a project like that. Unless I was to be a peasant with a scratchy voice... then I could manage that. Or perhaps make sounds for a creature- but I highly doubt they need that. My voice would sound to generic with no accent behind it.

Anyhow, I am simply astonished. They're doing all this work... for free. In the video, they did not ONCE ask for donations or a kick starter. Instead, they asked for help on their project which means a lot in my eyes. I pray they are able to finish it and though there will be bugs (come now, everything isn't solid at first) but you can darn well bet no one will care. The mod itself is so impressive that I think they can even top the Dragonborn DLC's content if it all works out. Then it'll get ranked almost to top mod of all time.

I'm kind of sad they won't get paid for this, they deserve to

Wow that's very impressive. I'd support this.

Akisa:

Oh dear God I hope not!

70 30 voice actors!? That's 65 25 more than Skyrim!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here