Fallout Fans Petition Bethesda for Fallout 4 Information

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fallout Fans Petition Bethesda for Fallout 4 Information

Fallout 4 - Main

The Fallout 4 fanbase is formally requesting information about the game's development.

The folks at Bethesda are being characteristically tight lipped about Fallout 4, and some fans are starting to lose their patience. A few days ago, Silviu Ploisteanu created a petition which begs for formally requests an official statement regarding the title's existence.

"I believe it's about time Bethesda gives us some hints on Fallout 4," the change.org petition reads. "After the Survivor hoax and the *intentionally* leaked Fallout 4 script on Kotaku, we NEED to know if Fallout 4 is being made and whether it will be set in Boston or not."

Ploisteanu's frustration is understandable. Last month, Kotaku obtained a collection of documents that were leaked from a recent casting call--though, we don't actually know if the leak was intentional. The documents were laced with Fallout references, but it wasn't enough to spur any kind official confirmation from Bethesda. This, coupled with the recent Survivor2299 hoax, would be enough to drive any Fallout superfan to alcoholism.

"We do not ask for much; just throw us a bone, tell us you're working on it," the petition says. "If you're thinking the same way that I do, please SIGN this petition. You can make a difference!"

Unfortunately, signing this petition will probably make no difference whatsoever. Bethesda's announcement, whenever it happens, will be a carefully choreographed affair. Even if this petition becomes the most popular thing on the internet, it still won't overrule Bethesda's marketing department.

Sorry. Now I feel like a jerk.

Source: Change.org

I disagree with the last statement in this article, "Even if this petition becomes the most popular thing on the internet, it won't overrule Bethesda's marketing department."
If this petition did become the most popular thing on the internet, if it got millions of signatures and Bethesda were overwhelmed with calls, e-mails, letters, and social media messages, their marketing department would indubitably take advantage of the furor by making SOME sort of announcement, most likely a tease that could be interpreted in different ways, but they'd respond too it, no question.
Unfortunately that isn't going too happen because that is an unrealistic scenario given the general turnout these sorts of petitions get.

People are stressing over nothing, of course they're making Fo4

We're coming up to the time when we'd expect Bethesda Softworks to announce the game they've been working on (and will release) so it's probably not even a long wait now.

I would point out though that we slap publishers for not working on new IPs and then get incredibly worked up at the idea that a developer might actually be working on one.

Tradjus:
I disagree with the last statement in this article, "Even if this petition becomes the most popular thing on the internet, it won't overrule Bethesda's marketing department."
If this petition did become the most popular thing on the internet, if it got millions of signatures and Bethesda were overwhelmed with calls, e-mails, letters, and social media messages, their marketing department would indubitably take advantage of the furor by making SOME sort of announcement, most likely a tease that could be interpreted in different ways, but they'd respond too it, no question.

Nah I disagree. You need to tease if you've got something that people aren't currently thinking about and you want them to get excited over it. Whereas if you have millions of fans crying out for news you say absolutely nothing and get them more and more excited which will make your eventual announcement even bigger.

For the best example of this in practise, look at Fallout 4. If they'd said 'guys Fallout 4 is coming' then we'd have had 0 news articles about Fo4 between then and when they release more information. Instead, by saying nothing, they're getting an article every other week hyping up Fo4.

If they'd responded to fan demand all that would have been gone. Instead the internet will go beserk when we finally do get a piece of news no more exciting than 'Microsoft is making Halo 5'

You know, I could understand if the intent behind this was ANYTHING beyond 'We want it now!' and was something more like 'After the word out of the beta tests for TESO painting a not so bright future, I'm concerned about the state of the product I am interested in'.

But no, it sounds more like a bunch of impatient gamers. I'm sorry but stop it. You're adults. You're not entitled to news, you don't NEED it and yes, the assholes behind survivor 2199 should be hung and the leaker of the script should be beaten violently, but Bethesda owes us 'nothing'.

It'll be ready when it's ready. So sit down, shut up and just wait a LITTLE longer.

Now when we hit E3 2014 and there is STILL no news, 'then' you can start bitching again. But I'd gamble that after the mild bit of backlash over the flat out lies of the engine for Skyrim being 'brand new' and turning out to just be an overhauled Gamebryo, MAYBE what's taking them a while is their attempt to make the next fallout seem like more than just 'sci-fi post apocalyptic skyrim' again in terms of feel and design. Plus, whatever they may be working on for FO4 might be the template and engine for TES VI.

So again, shut up and wait.

Oh and kind reminder that Kotaku is full of a bunch of click bait article making bottom feeders, so it's likely that amid the stirring of the pot that was the survivor 2199 hoax, they wanted to get in on that hype.

Kyogissun:
snip

Agreed, the company doesn't owe the user base any additional information. If that was the case, more people would create these hoaxes to extort information out of devs. If this petition works, it'll set a bad precedent. We all know FO4 is coming, who cares where its set? Their marketing team will release the info when they feel like it, the user base complaining about it just feeling like entitled whining.

As much as i want fallout 4, and as stupidly happy as i will be to play such a thing. i will be patient and not force bethesda into making a rushed project.

Fallout is literally one of my all time favorite game series but this is honestly just ridiculous. Stop playing the games, stop obsessing over fan fic and theories. You'll soon forget about the series, it'll be pushed to the back of your mind and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when the announcement actually comes, if you keep giving Bethesda all this free press they'll have no need to generate any of their own.

Imagine Fallout 4 is a pretty girl, if you keep staring at her and trying to talk to her, she isn't going to want to talk to you. So just ignore her and act cool, soon enough she'll be into you and tell you all about how she's from Boston and how she's a perfect little wasteland.

JamesBr:

Kyogissun:
snip

Agreed, the company doesn't owe the user base any additional information. If that was the case, more people would create these hoaxes to extort information out of devs. If this petition works, it'll set a bad precedent. We all know FO4 is coming, who cares where its set? Their marketing team will release the info when they feel like it, the user base complaining about it just feeling like entitled whining.

Oh man, I couldn't have said it better myself. I do genuinely worry about what sense of entitlement could come out of this. I understand that gamers need to feel respected from companies and not treated like shit especially after 2013 and it's lovely year of controversies, what with one company burying it's head in the sand on a big licensed product and another launching 2 products that clearly were not ready to handle consumer demand in terms of functionality or stability...

But this is just impatience pure and simple, nothing more, nothing less. Don't feed the animals Bethesda, they're not worth the 2 bucks for a handful of nuts.

IS this what we've come to now?, we're abusing the creation of petitions in general for something as small and as petty as this?.

Does this mean it's perfectly sane and logical to petition for Hideaki Anno to tell us "what really happened" in the series of Evangelion?, the answer would be no, It's not perfectly logical to.

Why would Bethesda give in to the demands of a petition and release information?

All it would do is then create a succession of new petitions demanding that Bethesda don't do something that was in the information they gave, or demanding that they include something that wasn't in the information they released.

It's best they keep quite and ignore this petition, rather then encourage an already volatile fan-base who wield petitions like weapons.

True their silence may not make people happy, but it's better to let already irate people remain irate through a lack of action, than risk irritating them even further by releasing news that is bound not to satisfy everyone, plus I'm sure the webmasters at Change.org (which I believe is predicted to be the occupation with the highest suicide rate for 2014) would appreciate Bethesda ignoring this petition and not encouraging any more.

Really? Do they have no patience at all? Do they have nothing else to do with their lives besides sign a petition to get info on a game?

The game will come, sooner or later. Information will come, sooner or later. But then again the things people make petitions over are just plain moronic.

Ugh, I'm not surprised, nor do I care. In the meantime, there's Wasteland.

Why do they think Bethesda will be affected by this? I mean, it's not like Bethesda just never realized that people might be interested in Fallout 4. If they haven't revealed anything about it, that's because they don't think it's in a state where talking about it is a good idea yet.

Of course, if this petition DOES do something (which it won't), we'll either end up with the same game (just announced earlier, thus causing the hype to wear out sooner and reduce sales) or a more rushed one. So basically nothing good can come of this.

we NEED to know if Fallout 4 is being made

No. No you don't. Well, maybe you do, but then you've probably got bigger problems than not knowing about a videogame. Just play some other games and then when the announcement comes, if it comes, you can complain about all the minutiae that don't meet your expectations because you NEED this game to be perfect and why won't Bethesda just return your calls are you seeing someone else?

Haha, petitions. I wonder why people sign these things. So many people seem to jump on them all the time but ones like these usually accomplish nothing except to gauge general public sentiment on some things.

Do they really need to here that Bethesda is working on a sequel to one of, if not the most, popular franchises they own? Seriously, is this what has happened to gamers--and society in general? We've become so dependent/spoiled/demanding that we need to be told things that a normal person should already know as fact? I mean, I don't see any Half-Life fans complaining about...oh, wait. Nevermind. Okay, so if Fallout 4 was talking as long as the next Half-Life game, then maybe they'd have a gripe, but as it stands...patience is a virtue, people.

As much as I love the Fallout seriese, we fans are not entitled to anything reguarding Fallout 4. To create a pettition demanding any kind of information on its development is pathetically entitled behavior. Besides, rushing Bethesda's games is a bad idea. No matter how great people think Skyrim was, in truth, at release it was a buggy, broken, incomplete game. Though not as bad as recent Fallout titles.

In a way I don't want a Fallout 4. Knowing Bethesda, at this point it'll be little more than "Skyrim with guns," as Fallout 3 & New Vegas were "Oblivion with guns." I'd prefer they try making it, if they are, from the ground up and take their time with it. Fans should appreciate what Fallout titles are avalible to us currently. This petition seems like people are wanting a kiss to build a dream on.

*checks his pulse* Nope, heartbeat still going
*checks his refridgerator* Hmm. I seemed to be stocked, so I'm good there
*checks his bank account* Looks like I've got a good bit of flow there.

Yeah.. Sorry. I don't NEED an update about Fallout.

Unless it can provide me with some more money and food...

The fact that people have to petition for info is kind of sad honestly...This is the one area where I wish the games industry was more like the movie industry; as bad as the movie industry can be you at least know what's going on within it from the conception of a project through to until the release of the X-ty-eth anniversary re-re-re-re-release.

Anyway, Bethesda is more than likely hard at work on Fallout 4 but I'm guessing they don't have enough to show off. They could be cobbling together a teaser video though which in itself is a lot of work, especially if they make one of those teaser videos that show nothing of the actual game.

Hey this is a great idea, lets start a petition to get Valve to tell us all about Half-li....ahh actually never mind.

Mortuorum:
Tagged: Whiny Entitled Gamers

Flagged: Low-content instigation.

OT: If you rush it, guys, you'll be paying for 'extra' DLCs forever because the game is sold incomplete or something.

What's funny about this is that they're acting like this is the only way they'll get Fallout 4 information. Do they really think that if they don't petition, Bethesda will never release information and then years from now they'll have had a finished Fallout 4 that they're just sitting on because no one demanded information?

If Bethesda did the responsible thing and just did a little tweet saying Survivor thing was a hoax when it started gaining steam, then none of this would be happening right now. I don't think Bethesda owes us anything as Fallout fans but they really betrayed a lot of trust with that one. Even an announcement that there will be an announcement in E3 or at some other point would be nice. If I'm not mistaken, I think there was little periodic bits of information released about Skyrim years beforehand, I don't really get this marketing strategy where they treat its existence like some kind of state secret before dropping a lot of information at once and a tentative release date. It would be better to let info drip, each new screenshot and piece of information would get its own article on The Escapist and other news sites.

But at the very least, you don't let a bunch of redditors and channers impersonate your company and hoax your fanbase.

*reads petition* Wow. There are a lot of ways to write such a request so as not to come off as if you have an entitlement[1] complex. This guy failed at it. I wish he'd tried to actually do something quirky, creative, and fun with it.

[1] Yeah, I went there, come at me, bro!

Why would they announce fallout 4, your already advertising it better than they ever could just by saying nothing

This seems like one of the most entitled things I've ever seen.
And I read some of the comments below the petition. They show you so much better than I could how much this is true.

Jack Mercer:
WE WANTS IT!!

WE NEEDS IT!!

Sam Sheppard:
Fallout is love, Fallout is life.

James Cassarino:
I neeeeeed to knoooooow

And, you know what, since there doesn't really seem to be any disagreement here, I'm going to take down some of the more legitimate complaints here too, because they are still pretty bad.

Adam Simpson:
I believe enough time has passed that at least confirmation of the game's existence would be fair.

No. That isn't how that works. You can't just decide when it's fair for a game company to talk about their games. That is their decision. And, yeah, it makes him sound very entitled. This is probably going to be a theme.

Tyler Coker:
Our anticipation has been teased and prodded with fake release dates and countdown websites. We just want to know if we have ANYTHING to look forward to. Are we getting our hopes up for nothing every time something turns out to be a hoax? Is there any ounce of truth in all of this supposedly "leaked" information? Don't let this become the next Half Life 3, Bethesda. You've shown very well with the Elder Scrolls series that you're good with making sequels as long as your games will continue to be amazing in every way...

Just because there are hoaxes doesn't give Bethesda any more responsibility about the real thing. I could make a thousand new hoax websites, but it wouldn't make the real thing any closer to completion. Also, unlike Half Life 3, there is no real continuing story that hasn't ended yet. If Bethesda doesn't make another game again, it isn't as if the series will be left unfinished. Sure, a new Fallout game might make some people happy, but they have no obligation to make one, nor to tell you even if they are.

Randall Crittenden:

I would like Bethesda, and game companies in general, to be a bit more open with their fanbase. I'm tired of being in the dark.

Man, gaming has gotten petty in the last few years.

I'm not going to keep running through these, they are quite similar and I could be here all day. But this thing has gotten 4500 signatures. All I can do is sigh.

What is it, 3 or 4 years since New Vegas?
As a Half-Life fan : "Lightweights"

Greenman19:
What is it, 3 or 4 years since New Vegas?
As a Half-Life fan : "Lightweights"

You kidding me, I'm a Megaman Legends fan and have been waiting for a sequel to the second game since 2000. I can call everyone light weights now that Duke Nukem Forever ended up getting released. :P

OT: While I can see how people want more Fallout games, I'm content with New Vegas as of now because it's got an excellent modding community that's keeping me busy.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

As Hentrphy mentioned, Bethesda didn't come out and publicly state Survivor2299 was a hoax. That in itself is as much a confirmation as anything that they are working on FO4. While they did eventually make a statement, by then the hype train was running full steam and the whole thing turned into free marketing. If an when they finally do make a public statement about their next game, it's going to be headline news.

On the other hand, and this is pure outside-the-box speculation, Bethesda might surprise everyone and announce a new post-apocalyptic IP.

Mortuorum:

This. Jesus christ, the company has a slew of solid fallout titles and TES titles and some of the highest quality DLC in any game franchises ever. How about we just trust that the next one is actually in development because the company hasn't been taken over by retarded squirrel-people, and that it'll be good (if a bit buggy) like the last ones have been?

Internet petitions are jokes to begin with, but the kind of people signing this one should have their internet privileges revoked long enough for them to realize they're being fucking dipshits. What kind of 10 year old can't just wait patiently until the company is ready? Pressuring a company into releasing info will, at best, get an irrelevant tidbit of information that satisfies nobody, and at worst, will paint an incomplete picture of the product that will taint expectations for years to come. *Nothing good* can come of it. It's a lose-lose situation.

Hopefully Bethesda ignores it, like they seem to be doing so far. These gamers make me sick.

Fucking hell, instant gratification children... Ok so the survivor 2199 thing might have been shitty for those of you who didn't figure out it was just a massive rickroll, but it isn't Bethesda's fault. Hell I think they even warned you it wasn't their doing.

Kyogissun:
the assholes behind survivor 2199 should be hung and the leaker of the script should be beaten violently

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm, if not... wow...

OT: A petition wont do much. Bethesda never has and never will care what people want, only what their wallets can offer. Send them a check, you might get a response then.

Xavier78:

Kyogissun:
the assholes behind survivor 2199 should be hung and the leaker of the script should be beaten violently

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm, if not... wow...

I've found joking in this manner to often be in poor taste and judgement. There isn't a single instance even remotely acceptable where something having to do with videogames should make it seem okay to hope somebody is lynched or assaulted/beaten.

AuronFtw:

Mortuorum:

This. Jesus christ, the company has a slew of solid fallout titles and TES titles and some of the highest quality DLC in any game franchises ever. How about we just trust that the next one is actually in development because the company hasn't been taken over by retarded squirrel-people, and that it'll be good (if a bit buggy) like the last ones have been?

To be fair, I readily link those who deem it necessary to petition about gaming updates not much of a breed apart from those who threaten game developers for changing things in a way they don't like, or those who threaten a game developer for being different than they are. It's a disappointing trend that has long since become aggravating to tolerate.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here