Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Mountain Dew Cheetos

Mountain Dew-flavored Cheetos are the ultimate in bafflingly bizarre snacking convenience.

You love your Cheetos. You love your Moutain Dew. But you're a busy person! You've got places to go and things to do! Gorf down a dozen handfuls of that tangy, puffy pseudocheese and wash it all down with a two-liter of the fizz? Who's got time for that?

But I bring good news for all you hurried snackers out there: Mountain Dew Cheetos! They're Cheetos that taste like Mountain Dew! Instead of cheese - or "cheese" - they're coated with Moutain Dew-flavored powder. I can't even imagine what Mountain Dew-flavored powder tastes like but according to one report, this particular breed of Cheeto tastes like "sweet lemon lime chips." But in Cheeto format! A Dewto! Wait, isn't a Pokemon or something?

Convenience notwithstanding, I think the obvious question here is, "Why?" The only answer I can offer is, "Oh Japan," as that's where these snack food abominations are actually on sale. I don't know whether that qualifies as good news or bad, but if you're desperate to try them for yourself there are apparently some Japanese import stores that can hook you up.

But really. Why?

Source: Brand Eating

About time considering it's been several radical decades in the making.

Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:

Neronium:
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:

Chicken and waffles? xD Wow...

Wait, isn't that a Pokemon or something?

Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?

I'd have preferred Cheeto-flavored Mountain Dew. That way I wouldn't have to wipe my damn hands off every time I want to pick my controller back up.

Neronium:

The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.

mountain dew Cheetos the ultimate D&D snack has arrived Wooo!!!!!

DasDestroyer:

Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?

Now I've got this funny mental image in my head with the Escapist editors being like "No! I can't proof read your damn news story! I have to figure out where this three goes!"

OT: Bleeeeeehhhhh. That sounds disgusting! But I'm not surprised. Both America and Japan have come up with crazy junk food flavors.

That will save Geoff Keighley a lot of space for his next Halo promotional fotoshoot.
He just has to have a stack for those next to him.

Oh bloody hell.
This is what happens when Britain isn't in charge.

*sips tea*

Dear sweet lord that sounds delicious.

I must have it.

Blunderboy:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*

I'll bet you there's a tea-flavored biscuit in the UK right now.

OT: Excuse me, but someone appears to have curdled my Mt. Dew. I didn't think this was possible, but apparently it's come to pass. Can I get a refund? I've no desire for the green that goes CRUNCH, thank you.

FalloutJack:

Blunderboy:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*

If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.

Blunderboy:

FalloutJack:

Blunderboy:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*

If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.

Well, if I wanted my Cheetos to taste of Mt. Dew, I'd dip that, but that's a waste of BOTH products and so is this.

Why does the container look like I'm supposed to add boiling water to the line and wait three minutes? Would I get sweet, citrus udon?

DasDestroyer:

You... meant... seppuku right?

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.

I remember seeing this when Hikakin did a video on it. Basically he is a fairly famous youtuber in Japan who beatboxes and reviews various items. He has an odd sense of humor, so his videos are not for everyone. Here is the video in question about the product. Also, he speaks Japanese in most of his videos, so if you are not fluent in the language, you may be a bit lost. Still fun for me to watch though.

The article may say "Oh Japan" but this is as 90s as it gets! We did it first, Japan. Quit copying us.

BrownGaijin:

DasDestroyer:

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.

Nope, I meant sudoku.

Meanwhile, someone in IGN just went into overload.

These look absolutely disgusting. They should have a Dorito flavoured juice drink to complete the mind-bending weirdness.

Are they caffeinated? 'Cuz, frankly, far as I'm concerned, that's the only good reason to consume anything Mitten Dew flavored.

(And, no, that's not a typo. Once they condensed their name to

I think they opened up their name to alternate interpretations.)

Now they just need to package it with some shitty promo for Halo and the cycle is complete.

I'm not particularly surprised about any food that comes from Japan. They do have 15 different flavours of Kit Kat after all.

Are Cheetos the ones with the annoying "cool" cheetah mascot? I hate that thing.

Neronium:

Cheesy garlic wasn't even innovative and it won! I would have loved to have Sriracha.

Anyways, as to the mounain dew cheetos:

I mean it doesn't add up... I can't comprehend.

This wouldn't be the first time PepsiCo did something like this: hell, back n '08, for example, they made Mountain Dew-flavored Doritos, which of course tasted predictably bleh. This isn't so much a Japan thing as it is Pepsico preserving the attitudes of the 90s long after that decade passed.

Although I can't speak for anyone else, isn't it rather common to have something on hand to drink when eating dry snack foods like Cheetos anyways? Just changing the flavor isn't going to suddenly quell the need for a drink too, it'll probably just make things taste really weird when I try to wash down Dew Cheetos with Dew Drinks.

How about that, it'll be that much easier for Geoff Keighley to make his Call of Duty snacking commercials this year!

DasDestroyer:

BrownGaijin:

DasDestroyer:

Nope, I meant sudoku.

Ha! Ha! I tip my hat to you!

synobal:

Neronium:

The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.

They taste like maple syrup/honey and potato chips, not a very strong flavoring but enough to be different. They were good as far as potato chips go though.

Neronium:

Just for the record, the cheesy garlic bread is actually quite good and isn't that different from adding a little garlic salt to the cheese flavoured ones.

Still, citrus flavoured cheese puffs? I think this says Japan might need to consider some more taste testing before approving this stuff.

Living in Japan.....yeah, this does not surprise me in the least. The weird and crappy flavors they have in otherwise normal products are just astounding. While writing this I just got done eating some Honey-butter flavoured potato chips and I can remember having smoked-bacon flavoured ones awhile ago. But the ones that are the worst are the flavours that SHOULD be the same in Japan as in America, but they taste like crap. Strawberry Oreos and Nacho Doritos, I'm looking at you......

Forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I've had Mountain Dew, but I don't recall it actually having a taste other than glucose. Do these Cheetos just taste like sugar?

DasDestroyer:

I can't tell how intentional the irony here is, but I'll assume it was deliberate because I think it's funnier that way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here