Alien: Isolation Trailer Returns To Its Roots

Alien: Isolation Trailer Returns To Its Roots

Alien: Isolation is Alien, not Aliens, and it looks like it might just be the real thing.

We've got a big ol' preview of Alien: Isolation up right here and I encourage you to go read it, because it sounds awfully promising.

Before you do, however, take a moment to enjoy this gameplay trailer, which shows off a very different Alien videogame experience that what we've grown used to. This is an Alien game, as distinct from Aliens, which means that you are not state-of-the-badass-art but are instead alone, frightened and simply trying to stay alive. And as much as I dig Aliens (it's my favorite movie in the series, too), I've been there and done that, and so it's nice to have something new to look forward to.

Setting aside the fact that I really, really wish someone would disentangle Ripley from the franchise, Isolation looks very much like the kind of Alien game I'd love to play: a Xeno and me, in a one-on-one survival horror experience. Whether or not it will actually come together is all a matter of execution, but so far I like what I see.

Alien: Isolation is slated to come out later this year for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC.

Well the trailer definitely looks good.A lack of gunfights and giant explosions for no obvious reason are a good start. I agree that Ripley isn't really necessary, but I guess it doesn't hurt, and it will help people get interested. Not forgetting that you play Amanda Ripley, which will certainly please a lot of people.

I cannot help but feel that the game may be terribly linear with a lot of fancy, "scary" scripted events though. I sincerely hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, as I am a fan of both the Alien series and horror as a genre, but Triple A game developers seem to think that's what's important a lot of the time.

It definitely seems to be one to keep an eye on.

Oh goodness. I remember reading the game synopsis a few months ago and everyone being cautiously optimistic after A:CM was just released. Seeing that trailer it looks like they're actually following through on their promises. Call me much more excited.

Now to just get over the fact that I hate scary games...

First thing I noticed was how eager they are to make sure we know that its actual gameplay footage, unlike the 'demo' for a certain other recent Alien game...

Beyond that it looks promising, I guess

Looks fairly good. I have a friend who is a manager at SEGA and he said a while ago to look out for this. No doubt he will have his team testing it at somepoint and I will bug him for info :P

Hay, wait a god dogging minute. The big studios said they wouldn't touch a horror game with a nuke from orbit as there was no money in them anymore coz no ne wanted to play them anymore.

Weird, Justin's reveal made no mention of the PS3 or 360 versions. And missing from both: Wii U. Hmm.

A survival-horror Alien game? Jeez, who would have thought it.

Count me cautiously optimistic, although more then spliced gameplay footage will be enough to convince me.

luvd1:
Hay, wait a god dogging minute. The big studios said they wouldn't touch a horror game with a nuke from orbit as there was no money in them anymore coz no ne wanted to play them anymore.

Apparently Sega decided that they aren't a big studio anymore...

When it comes to the Alien franchise and games
the ride never ends

The trailer looks interesting. At least its going for "actual survival horror" and not "guns a-blazing action game with a few monsters in it". No pulse rifles, no smart guns, no weapons whatsoever. Just you, the monster, and whatever you have on hand to escape/outwit/hide/outlast your opponent hiding in the shadows.

That said, I'm very iffy on this living up to its hype. The wounds of Aliens: Colonial Marines still run deep and Sega has a lot of legwork to do to overcome that fiasco. Just hope to God it doesn't pull another fanfic retcon on the source material like it did with Hicks (fuck, that was all 31 flavors of stupid).

Oh hell yes. This looks like pretty much everything I've been saying for years that they need to do with the franchise. Here's hoping it really works.

And if anyone out there with a DS is looking for something to warm up with while we wait to see how this one turns out, get Aliens: Infestation. I've been playing through it lately and it deserves way more attention then it got. The perfect thing to wash away the bad CM memories

Capcha: father uncle. Guess it's become an Arrested Development fan

Interest +7, hope +10, confusion +2...

The only reason I'm confused is because I'm not sure how this game will work. If there is only one enemy chasing you the entire time, they are really going to need to up the storytelling to keep the tension and interest going. Playing a game where you're constantly running for you life can work, but a lot of the times it comes off as boring and uneventful. An example I can think of is in Silent Hill 3: You entire this haunt house and suddenly you are running from a red light that will kill you if it touches you. A good bit of the game and great at building panic, but if the entire game had been like that, it would have lost its charm very quickly.
Drawing again from Silent Hill, another idea is Pyramid Head. When he showed up, you booked it. Straight get-out-of-dodge mode, and because of that he was terrifying. But there were other monsters around so that Pyramid Head didn't become stale by always being the threat.
Is this making any sense? It makes sense in my head, but...

That's not a "gameplay trailer", it's not even a "vertical slice" it's the usual wishful thinking cgi wankfest.
I like the lack of guns and explosions though but after that whole colonial marines disaster, it is safe to assume that every trailer and even demos lie.

Sniper Team 4:

The only reason I'm confused is because I'm not sure how this game will work. If there is only one enemy chasing you the entire time, they are really going to need to up the storytelling to keep the tension and interest going. Playing a game where you're constantly running for you life can work, but a lot of the times it comes off as boring and uneventful. An example I can think of is in Silent Hill 3: You entire this haunt house and suddenly you are running from a red light that will kill you if it touches you. A good bit of the game and great at building panic, but if the entire game had been like that, it would have lost its charm very quickly.
Drawing again from Silent Hill, another idea is Pyramid Head. When he showed up, you booked it. Straight get-out-of-dodge mode, and because of that he was terrifying. But there were other monsters around so that Pyramid Head didn't become stale by always being the threat.

I could see this working as a short downloadable game, like something telltale might make, but I'm not sure how they intend to pull it off if it's a bigger title. I get the feeling that it would have to be short in order to retain the tension, but at the same time I'm not sure if I want to spend $60 on a four hour game, especially if it's linear and scripted. That said, the game is heading in the right direction, I'll certainly be keeping my eyes out.

Sniper Team 4:

This is exactly what I was thinking which if this is the only xeno has me thinking human enemies are in the cards. I mean they can probably still pull it off if
They have tension I would say like the last of us.

The trailer look super dope, they really hit the vibe with that... but that doesn't mean the actual game will also.
Important to note as well this is brought to you by the creative minds of Total War: Rome 2, possibly the most broken triple A title to launch last year and still has not been fixed properly in the 4 months it's out.

I do like their idea with this game, but what they can actually put together is completely unknown.

luvd1:

A little thing called Amnesia: The Dark Descent happened, big publishers are always chasing 'the market' and in that respect the market has spoken. Just like after Day Z happened open world survival is suddenly popular.

I don't really mind this being like Amnesia.

However I still want an all guns Aliens game sometime in the next 5 years since gearbox clearly fucked us over for 6 whole years.

Apart from AVP 2010 it will a whole decade until we'd at least see an Aliens shooter game and that makes me just sad.

Alien: The Dark Descent?

Yes please!

But who the hell is Amanda Ripley? Is there some kind of expanded universe information I'm missing here?

Geth Reich (Yakob):

Yes please!

But who the hell is Amanda Ripley? Is there some kind of expanded universe information I'm missing here?

Amanda Ripley is the the main characters daughter. She's mentioned in the films, but we never see her. Because the main character is put into cryo-sleep in between movies one and two, her daughter has died of old age by the time Aliens has begun. That's why she's so attached to Newt, because she reminds her of her own daughter. Presumably this game involves Amanda Ripley searching for her mother after the events of the first film.

OT: The game looks great. I did some research and it sounds like the design team is making a great spiritual sequel.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5283126/the-making-of-the-anti-aliens-game-in-creative-assemblys-alien

SwiftBlade18:
Looks fairly good. I have a friend who is a manager at SEGA and he said a while ago to look out for this. No doubt he will have his team testing it at somepoint and I will bug him for info :P

do me a favor and ask him if the Alien in the game is the same one as in the movie I have the feeling it might be the same one and didn't die in the vacuum of space.

Fox12:

Geth Reich (Yakob):

Yes please!

Amanda Ripley is the the main characters daughter. She's mentioned in the films, but we never see her. Because the main character is put into cryo-sleep in between movies one and two, her daughter has died of old age by the time Aliens has begun. That's why she's so attached to Newt, because she reminds her of her own daughter. Presumably this game involves Amanda Ripley searching for her mother after the events of the first film.

OT: The game looks great. I did some research and it sounds like the design team is making a great spiritual sequel.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5283126/the-making-of-the-anti-aliens-game-in-creative-assemblys-alien

Ah! Come to think of it, I do remember something said along those lines in the early stages of Aliens. All is well then.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here