Razer's "Project Christine" Combines PC Power With Console Simplicity

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Razer's "Project Christine" Combines PC Power With Console Simplicity

Project Christine is a strange, sexy machine that promises to eliminate the complexities of PC gaming.

The PC's greatest strength - virtually limitless design flexibility - is also its biggest weakness. Sure, you can tweak everything from RAM speed to airflow on the way to building your own personal HAL, but you need some idea of what you're doing in order to make the magic happen. Quick - what type of CPU socket is on your motherboard? Some of you know, some of you will go look and a lot of you will immediately think, "What?"

This is where Razer's Project Christine comes in. It's a fully-modular PC design in which individual components like CPU, GPU, RAM and storage are self-contained and can be swapped in or out as needed. Each module is sealed and liquid cooled, the PCI Express architecture allows everything to work together without any horsing around and it supports multiple operating systems that may be selected at boot.

"Project Christine is a new concept design that will revolutionize the way users view the traditional PC," Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan said. "This is the first gaming system that is able to keep pace with technology and could allow consumers to never buy another PC, or gaming system, again."

It's a weird looking thing but sexy too, with a touch-screen LCD display that probably has some practical function but scores most of its points just for being so damned Star Trek-ish. The obvious downside is the price: Christine is only a concept at this point but proprietary components like these will unavoidably cost more - probably a lot more - than conventional hardware. Of course, Razer has never shied away from inflicting sticker shock on its customers, and if it can actually make this work, Christine may end up closer to the Steam Machine we expected from Valve than anything that actually bears the name.

Source: Razer

It looks like a bunch of prothean stasis pods.

Each component self contained and water cooled? The idea is a lot more compelling to me than that of a Steam Machine. Fully modular PC? Yes please. But it will cost an arm and a leg. So no, thanks.

I absolutely love the idea that you can have a motherboard that uses a PCI-e slot instead of a CPU socket. I'm surprised that we're only getting something like that now.

My god. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It'll cost more than my car does, but I'd use that more than my stupid car.

Is it sad that this is what I was expecting this generation of consoles to be? fully modular and all?

welp, looks like I need to start selling internal organs that I dont need, seeing how Steam Machines are going to be about $1,000 for a decent one, and this will probably be even more both as an initial buy and in the long run due to proprietary modules.

Waaaaaant.

Actually, I want the idea of it. I want an open standard where everyone just makes things this way. And I want it at my company, not just at home.

Razer is 9/10 when it comes to design and fuctionality (They only lost a point because the Razer Naga wireless hardly works wirelessly). However they traded that off with about 3/10 quality. Their products are junk, they fall apart months after unboxing leaving those cool designs or features almost useless.

Of course it's going to cost a hell of a lot, it's from Razer, the masters of slapping lights on conventional hardware and jacking the price up to near-Apple levels.

"We'll sell you a mousepad for $15 because it has LEDs on it."
"Here's a $90 mouse because it glooooows!"
"This isn't a normal keyboard, it's GAMING keyboard. You can tell because it lights up."

Scrythe:
Of course it's going to cost a hell of a lot, it's from Razer, the masters of slapping lights on conventional hardware and jacking the price up to near-Apple levels.

"This isn't a normal keyboard, it's GAMING keyboard. You can tell because it lights up."

Razer is becoming the new Alienware, which is sad because two of my friends shelled out for two of their mice ranging from 70-80, I can't see myself ever spending that much on a mouse let alone a keyboard.

Though the model does look beautiful and futuristic, there's no doubt that it's going to cost an arm and a leg so only a few are going to be able to afford such a thing, again which is sad since I could see a lot of us wanting a piece of that at affordable prices.

Scrythe:

I don't know about keyboards (although the blackwidow seems average for a mechanical keyboard price wise) but their mice really do make a difference, I am quantifiably better with my Deathadder than I am with some $5 PoS from OfficeMax.

OT: I don't just want this I need this. Its just a wonderful combination of form and function. Unfortunately its liquid cooled which means its going to cost you more money than an entire low end gaming PC would.

this is all kinds of awesome... just a shame about the inevitable price tag that will come with it =\

but i'm gonna agree with the majority here, it does sound like a better idea than steam machines. i really hope the prices aren't extortionate though, because this looks and sounds amazing

I doubt this will simplify the process for people who don't know much about PCs, looks cool and you have to give credit to Razer for trying to make it simpler for people, but nothing presented in the promo has really said it will simplify anything but installation, which isn't really the hardest part in my experience. You'll still have to know precisely what kind of video card or processor to use, and whether it's any better than what you have now and worth the upgrade.

Looks and sounds awesome.

Hopefully after they've been selling such for a while the prices with go down to a more competitive rate as they start streamlining production.

Baldr:
Razer is 9/10 when it comes to design and fuctionality (They only lost a point because the Razer Naga wireless hardly works wirelessly). However they traded that off with about 3/10 quality. Their products are junk, they fall apart months after unboxing leaving those cool designs or features almost useless.

I've had my Razer Imperator mouse for over a year now (forget when exactly I got it, but it's been probably close to a year and a half by now) and it still runs flawlessly. Granted it doesn't have 10 million buttons on it that could potentially fail like on the Naga, but I think it's a very sturdy and reliable piece of hardware.

Scrythe:

Like the other guy who replied to you said, I'm way better at games like Dota and FPS's now that I have my Razer mouse. When I have to go back to my old mouse (when I'm away from home and dont bring my razer mouse) or using someone elses mouse, they just feel soooo slow and unresponsive. My mouse is also wayyy more comfortable than my old mice and the side buttons are very convenient and placed well.

And the price for my mouse wasn't completely unreasonable, IMO. A tad high but worth it for the better performance it gives.

The idea of a fully modular PC is a nice one, being able to change some parts without a complete rebuild like the Motherboard and CPU would be great. Arbitrary socket changes are annoying sometimes.

Sight Unseen:

Baldr:

I've had my Razer Imperator mouse for over a year now (forget when exactly I got it, but it's been probably close to a year and a half by now) and it still runs flawlessly. Granted it doesn't have 10 million buttons on it that could potentially fail like on the Naga, but I think it's a very sturdy and reliable piece of hardware

My original Razer Naga mouse wheel broke after about 6 months. My razer Carcharias disintegrated after about 6 months. My new wireless Naga doesn't work very well wirelessly, so now I just use it as a wired mouse, I've had it for about a year. The only other problem I have with it is the cord wrapping looks like it went through a cheese grater, the same thing happen to the other two.

Baldr:

Sight Unseen:

Baldr:

I've had my Razer Imperator mouse for over a year now (forget when exactly I got it, but it's been probably close to a year and a half by now) and it still runs flawlessly. Granted it doesn't have 10 million buttons on it that could potentially fail like on the Naga, but I think it's a very sturdy and reliable piece of hardware

My original Razer Naga mouse wheel broke after about 6 months. My razer Carcharias disintegrated after about 6 months. My new wireless Naga doesn't work very well wirelessly, so now I just use it as a wired mouse, I've had it for about a year. The only other problem I have with it is the cord wrapping looks like it went through a cheese grater, the same thing happen to the other two.

That sucks for you I guess :x My mouse is wired and the braided cable is still in perfect shape.

[joke] Also my Razer mousepad hasn't had any hardware malfunctions yet either :P [/joke]

Going to be honest, I want the case, it looks awesome. I remember a similar case by, I think Coolmaster(?) being release a couple of years ago. Always wanted it but it cost a lot of money.

Seeing this case, makes me want a new case like it even more.

Baldr:

I feel sorry for you. None of my Razer products ever fell apart or broke. My Naga doesn't fail me going strong for a couple of years, my Nostromo is solid. I had the Onza but didn't like its feel so got rid of it, but it was solid while I had it.
Bummer what happened to your stuff mate :(

This is actually a pretty cool idea. It's times like these where I want to hop in a time machine back a year and say "Hey guys, guess what I just thought of!"

Unfortunately it will be more than expensive seeing as we're paying for the brand logo too. Razer is not cheap.

console simplicity. what a load.

pc building nowadays is already as easy as it can get.

you literally have to stick the corresponding components in the slots that they specifically can only fit in.

its just a racket with stylish junk that will be most likely only function with the companies own endorsed hardware upgrades.

edit: i find this on par with a scam.
if you wish to know why, please read my responses on the second page.
and if it even should come as flaming, i am sorry. this was not my intend.
my intend is to call on the bullshit this ceo claims his product would do or have.

It looks cool I guess, but like the article already points out, it will probably be waaaaaay overpriced.

And really, I don't understand what the point is supposed to be.

Anyone who still thinks that building a PC is hard has had their heads stuck up their own ass since 1995, though of course it doesn't help to have people like Moviebob spreading disinformation about a topic they're willfully ignorant of.

Building a PC is not a matter of knowing anything about anything anymore, it's a matter of typing "How to build a computer" into google and spending 30 minutes reading (or maybe an hour watching Youtube videos if you prefer visual aides), 30 minutes ordering the parts and an hour putting them together when they arrive.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to fail unless you cannot read English or have some kind of motor control impairment.

rhizhim:

you literally have to stick the corresponding components in the slots that they specifically can only fit in.

its just a racket with stylish junk that will be most likely only function with the companies own endorsed hardware upgrades.

PC master race much? Some people who know very little about the internals of computers would find building their own PC to be a very daunting task. Also, setting a game up on a console is far easier than on a PC - it's just a case of sticking in the disk or clicking on the appropriate icon post-download, and you're away, with an almost guarantee that the game will work perfectly first time. Say what you want, but that's not the case with PC gaming most the time. Some people don't want to be messing around with files and graphical settings - they just want to play a game.

Source: I'm a Console and PC gamer.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Scrythe:

Razer is becoming the new Alienware, which is sad because two of my friends shelled out for two of their mice ranging from 70-80, I can't see myself ever spending that much on a mouse let alone a keyboard.

Though the model does look beautiful and futuristic, there's no doubt that it's going to cost an arm and a leg so only a few are going to be able to afford such a thing, again which is sad since I could see a lot of us wanting a piece of that at affordable prices.

Speaking through an Alienware laptop, I should like to point out that I find my machine's performance dreamlike and ecstacy in compact form. One traditionally waits to see how a machine performs before speculating as such. All my friends recommended Alienware to me because in their experience it was worth having.

An Ceannaire:

rhizhim:

PC master race much? Some people who know very little about the internals of computers would find building their own PC to be a very daunting task. Also, setting a game up on a console is far easier than on a PC - it's just a case of sticking in the disk or clicking on the appropriate icon post-download, and you're away, with an almost guarantee that the game will work perfectly first time. Say what you want, but that's not the case with PC gaming most the time. Some people don't want to be messing around with files and graphical settings - they just want to play a game.

Source: I'm a Console and PC gamer.

I'd also like to step in and vouch.

A close friend of mine couldn't for the life of him play battlefield badCompany 2 because his screen went black when he tried to play the game. He knew nothing of what to do and neither did I at the time, we looked around some forums and found next to nothing until we stumbled upon an obscure forum that instructs having to go into the games files and change the games support settings from Direct X11 to Direct X9.

The two of us had absolutely no idea that his GPU could not support DX11 and there was no clear indication given by what had happened. Fair enoguh after he'd changed the file it started to work fine, right up until he wanted to play multiplayer and found the servers had nothing to show, I tried the game and I found many servers up and running.

The third friend we had with us luckily pointed out if the 2nd friend had updated his "punk buster" software and the 2nd friend just looked at us in confusion, I will not blame him at all for feeling confused like that since I've been there many a time.

He downloaded the software from Punks website and after tinkering around after installing it he was eventually able to hop right into battle for the rest of the weekend.

Now I will say now that An Ceannaire you are indeed correct, it is much and far more simpler to just pop in the disc/download to play the game and I'm a console and PC gamer, I can understand what's simple and what's not, for my friends and myself.

hell I still need my thrid friends advice on my next build just to barely manage 2014's games since I don't even have nearly enough money to get what will be needed in order to enjoy the fruits of a good PC.

I'm looking at 400+ just for the current CPU+mobo+case my friend has, I'll be lucky to even wonder if I can use my spare RAM (if the sticks even work that is) to keep me up to date.

I will say though PC gaming/putting a rig together is not universally easy, not by a long shot, if any says otherwise then you're going to have a massive long life spanning journey ahead of you, a small number of stats is not good enough to imply simplicity if everyone isn't on board.

FalloutJack:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Scrythe:

Speaking through an Alienware laptop, I should like to point out that I find my machine's performance dreamlike and ecstacy in compact form. One traditionally waits to see how a machine performs before speculating as such. All my friends recommended Alienware to me because in their experience it was worth having.

Basically the "don't knock it until you try it" approach is what you're saying here isn't it?.

It works for you like a dream so that means it's well worth it's price tag and as such would be well worth for me?.

My friends still recommend I buy a naga, I told them to go buy me one if they're up for spending 60 on me because I sure as hell ain't forking out for a mouse that costs more than 20.

I'll point out that I'm that guy that doesn't and won't want to spend more than 20-30 on Keyboard and mice peripherals, I see them as controls and controls only, nothing special and I don't need fancy lights or any bells and whistles no matter how amazing and futuristic they might sound.

Shadow-Phoenix:

FalloutJack:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Basically the "don't knock it until you try it" approach is what you're saying here isn't it?.

It works for you like a dream so that means it's well worth it's price tag and as such would be well worth for me?.

My friends still recommend I buy a naga, I told them to go buy me one if they're up for spending 60 on me because I sure as hell ain't forking out for a mouse that costs more than 20.

I'll point out that I'm that guy that doesn't and won't want to spend more than 20-30 on Keyboard and mice peripherals, I see them as controls and controls only, nothing special and I don't need fancy lights or any bells and whistles no matter how amazing and futuristic they might sound.

Actually, I wasn't aware of their stylish appeal until I finally got down to the business of the buying. The recommendation was purely towards what I wanted: Performance. It's a laptop for gaming, it surfs the net well, it operates the utilities needed for my writing habits, and so on. Your friends might be trying to hit you with peer pressure, but I came to them, stated what I needed, compared with the equivalent Dell (same company, mind), and made a decision. The point is that you do what works for you and don't knock other people's choices when they're just fine.

If only a company that wasn't Razer was doing this (like ASUS or EVGA) I'd be really exited. That, or we can slot in our own components in those little modules they have.

This actually kind of reminds me of that case Thermaltake made:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001903

FalloutJack:

Actually, I wasn't aware of their stylish appeal until I finally got down to the business of the buying. The recommendation was purely towards what I wanted: Performance. It's a laptop for gaming, it surfs the net well, it operates the utilities needed for my writing habits, and so on. Your friends might be trying to hit you with peer pressure, but I came to them, stated what I needed, compared with the equivalent Dell (same company, mind), and made a decision. The point is that you do what works for you and don't knock other people's choices when they're just fine.

I'm not knocking them for wasting their money on what they wanted, I don't want to throw my own money at mice+keyboards that are as expensive as those, I know what I want from them and have for years, them trying to tell me the Nagas are amazing does nothing for me to want one and never will.

But I'll just say that last point of yours would do solid justice for those wanting to stick to consoles, even though you see a lot of people here throwing the "PC's are master race/easier to build/simple/better/superior" cards, my friends could say just that about the Naga and be wrong because my K+M work just fine for me just like a console will because I'd be content.

Shadow-Phoenix:

FalloutJack:

I'm not knocking them for wasting their money on what they wanted, I don't want to throw my own money at mice+keyboards that are as expensive as those, I know what I want from them and have for years, them trying to tell me the Nagas are amazing does nothing for me to want one and never will.

But I'll just say that last point of yours would do solid justice for those wanting to stick to consoles, even though you see a lot of people here throwing the "PC's are master race/easier to build/simple/better/superior" cards, my friends could say just that about the Naga and be wrong because my K+M work just fine for me just like a console will because I'd be content.

Oh, I understand. I'm one of those console guys. I just branched out to get a good laptop. I can understand if you want to get a cheaper 'insert product here that doesn't necessarily affect performance' for whatever. The mouse I started with was just a hold-over from the old computer and the new one was a gift. The truth is I still find many PC games hard to control, the complaint that either side would have about its opposite. Funny, no?

FalloutJack:

Oh, I understand. I'm one of those console guys. I just branched out to get a good laptop. I can understand if you want to get a cheaper 'insert product here that doesn't necessarily affect performance' for whatever. The mouse I started with was just a hold-over from the old computer and the new one was a gift. The truth is I still find many PC games hard to control, the complaint that either side would have about its opposite. Funny, no?

Oh i'd agree, at the moment I am in search of a mouse that's slightly bigger than mine with a slight simple yet enlarged middle button (it's mostly my knife key in most FPS games), I myself still find some games hard to control with a mouse (which was why I originally wanted to play BF:BC2 with my 360 gamepad but alas could not) and some games using K+M make me feel like I'm driving a tank which is why i'm thankful some games have gamepad support.

I'll chime in and say that besides being from Razor -an incredibly expensive company-, the design is completely awful when it comes to true customization. You'd have to order parts specifically designed for the modules and no other company's would fit in.

Another issue is that there is no airflow design to this other than them being spaced separately (in tightly packed plastic thingies). My case right now has 2 front fans pulling air in, a fan out the back, a fan out the top, the PSU's fan out the bottom, the CPU fan out the side, and an extra side vent as well. That is cooling power....the crazy thing shown in the video looks like a freakish console with removable drives. It's a console I tells you! Don't let Razor turn the PC into consoles!

FalloutJack:

Whilst I don't doubt that you feel you are getting a good user experience at the end of the day Alienware are products are bad value, you paid top dollar for components that are subpar for the laptops price bracket. Alienware machines are repackaged Dell machines, you bought a Ford with a BMW badge and price tag, mutton for the price of lamb.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with a Ford and lamb can be perfectly tasty I wouldn't want to be ripped off, there are any number of ultrabooks by other manufacturers with equal or better performance where you will get what you paid for.

Adam Jensen:
It looks like a bunch of prothean stasis pods.

Each component self contained and water cooled? The idea is a lot more compelling to me than that of a Steam Machine. Fully modular PC? Yes please. But it will cost an arm and a leg. So no, thanks.

I absolutely love the idea that you can have a motherboard that uses a PCI-e slot instead of a CPU socket. I'm surprised that we're only getting something like that now.

Not water cooled, oil cooled.

I have to admit i have no idea why you would think a CPU would be better off in a PCI-e slot give that just yet another gap between it and the hardware.

You want less gaps.

Deathfish15:
I'll chime in and say that besides being from Razor -an incredibly expensive company-, the design is completely awful when it comes to true customization. You'd have to order parts specifically designed for the modules and no other company's would fit in.

Another issue is that there is no airflow design to this other than them being spaced separately (in tightly packed plastic thingies). My case right now has 2 front fans pulling air in, a fan out the back, a fan out the top, the PSU's fan out the bottom, the CPU fan out the side, and an extra side vent as well. That is cooling power....the crazy thing shown in the video looks like a freakish console with removable drives. It's a console I tells you! Don't let Razor turn the PC into consoles!

Air flow is a non issue, it's oil cooled. The modules would be freakishly expensive though, probably twice as much.

Shadow-Phoenix:
I'd also like to step in and vouch.

A close friend of mine couldn't for the life of him play battlefield badCompany 2 because his screen went black when he tried to play the game. He knew nothing of what to do and neither did I at the time, we looked around some forums and found next to nothing until we stumbled upon an obscure forum that instructs having to go into the games files and change the games support settings from Direct X11 to Direct X9.

The two of us had absolutely no idea that his GPU could not support DX11 and there was no clear indication given by what had happened. Fair enoguh after he'd changed the file it started to work fine, right up until he wanted to play multiplayer and found the servers had nothing to show, I tried the game and I found many servers up and running.

The third friend we had with us luckily pointed out if the 2nd friend had updated his "punk buster" software and the 2nd friend just looked at us in confusion, I will not blame him at all for feeling confused like that since I've been there many a time.

He downloaded the software from Punks website and after tinkering around after installing it he was eventually able to hop right into battle for the rest of the weekend.

Now I will say now that An Ceannaire you are indeed correct, it is much and far more simpler to just pop in the disc/download to play the game and I'm a console and PC gamer, I can understand what's simple and what's not, for my friends and myself.

hell I still need my thrid friends advice on my next build just to barely manage 2014's games since I don't even have nearly enough money to get what will be needed in order to enjoy the fruits of a good PC.

I'm looking at 400+ just for the current CPU+mobo+case my friend has, I'll be lucky to even wonder if I can use my spare RAM (if the sticks even work that is) to keep me up to date.

I will say though PC gaming/putting a rig together is not universally easy, not by a long shot, if any says otherwise then you're going to have a massive long life spanning journey ahead of you, a small number of stats is not good enough to imply simplicity if everyone isn't on board.

Huh, I guess that would've been a bit of a nightmare to get working.

I personally would've figured most of that out in just a few minutes, but I've had my head buried in PC gaming for years. Troubleshooting and fixing issues is almost EXPECTED, tweaking config files and updating Punkbuster is quite common across many games :P

It's refreshing to hear to see an outsider's view on it :S

I never understood this pc master race thing. And Im a pc gamer. I think consoles have many benefits over pc's and vice versa. The reason why I play on a pc (laptop to be exact) is because I like rpg's, rts and fps. Guess which of the three sucks on consoles. One thing I do hate is franchises that start out as a pc exclusive and the next installment is also on console. Controls man controls. I fucking hate radials.

Also I like being able to do everything on one piece of hardware. Work and play. Also I can easily take it everywhere with me. This is only true for a laptop mind you.

As for assembling... Im not a pc specialist but I know the basics and I learned them myself. The hardest part is picking out the parts. Assembling is easy as fuck. Its literally idiot prove. Your cpu only fits in one slot. The same goes for ram and gpu. Everything can only fit in one kind of slot in one particular way.

Picking out the parts is hard Ill give you that. A lot of people say: just look at the benchmarks. Benchmarks only say so much. What other hardware was used in them for example? A lot of people say: just go for a last generation i7 processor. Yea... No thanks. Give me the i5 any day. And since its on a laptop I like it at a low cloacking speed. Give me a hd chipset for when Im just working and a gpu that switches on for gaming. The problem is which gpu? I ended up with the 750m. Most importantly for me: it needs a ssd drive. Regular 5400 rpm hard drives are slower then a turd making its way through a funnel. Lastly: full hd is a must.

With all these requirements I searched the internet and I found a laptop that caters to MY specific needs. However this will be total shit for someone else.

Conclusion: pc's give you more freedom to have just what U need depending on yhe budget you have. Consoles are easy, simple and completely uncostumizable and good for only one thing. Pick whatever floats your boat

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here