Coinye West Creators Get Cease-And-Desist From Rapper

Coinye West Creators Get Cease-And-Desist From Rapper

There have been some changes in Coinye's image.

So what's in a name, asks the creators of cryptocurrency Coinye West; that which we call a Bitcoin by any other name would trade as sweet. Um, no, reply rapper Kanye West's lawyers, as they file a cease-and-desist. "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable publicity and trademark rights from willful and brazen infringements," say the lawyers, and so there have been some changes over at Coinye West.

For starters, it's not Coinye West any more, just Coinye. The coin's image has also been changed, though the reference is still clear. But one thing the coin's creators haven't done is give in to the lawyers' demand that the domain coinyewest.com be given to Kanye, though they have changed the domain to coinyeco.

"Now [West] wants to crush us and/or take our idea," say Coinye's creators, "and we've decided to stand up to the system and fight for the people."

Presumably that should be read as 'fight for the people's right to mine a currency of dubious worth,' since the Coinye has no real value, and perhaps never will. Especially if West pursues legal action against anyone who ever uses it, as his lawyers warn he intends to do.

Not that this is likely to stop some from jumping on the Coinye bandwagon, which will open for business today at 7 PST.

Source: Ars Technica

I read "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable image..." but what I interpreted it as was "Only Mr. West is allowed to ruin what little amount of public image he has left."
I mean I am glad this excuse that would boost Kanye West's ego didn't catch on, because the las thing we need is Kayne's ego getting any larger. Oh well, we could always put forward the Moonwalker Bitcoin. :P

Lol, these cryprto currencies... now the weakness shows doesn't it? Anyone can create one and honestly since their value is based on the idea that they will increase in value the new comers actually seem more attractive than established ones since...you can get them cheap.

...isn't parody under copy write protection? I'm no expert but unless it's directly saying something (which could be constituted as libel) I'm pretty sure they could do what they wanted..?

option1soul:
...isn't parody under copy write protection? I'm no expert but unless it's directly saying something (which could be constituted as libel) I'm pretty sure they could do what they wanted..?

Normally yes, parody is covered under the Fair Use Act of 1976. However I have to side with the copyright laws on this one, and as I type that a bit of myself died inside. Mainly I have to side with them because this is not only a parody, but a parody that could become a legal currency that could be accepted as legal tender by a lot.

Wow "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable publicity and trademark rights from willful and brazen infringements," *spits food*

"Now [West] wants to crush us and/or take our idea," say Coinye's creators, "and we've decided to stand up to the system and fight for the people." *spits more food*

Really? are these guys competeing for the 'who sounds like the biggest douche' awards?

Maybe it is similar to the "Scrolls" incident with bethesda. Maybe they have to protect the trademark not because they are opposed to the coin idea but because if they let it slide this time other people in the future will be able to use the trademarks without permission.

I mean... could no one see this coming? I have to be honest, I saw that article about the Coinye West digital currency and saw the image and thought that Kanye's ego is so huge, this could easily be him. I know it's not, but my first go to was still, "Kanye West is making a digital currency?"

If that is the auto response from a lot of people, then I would have to say it at least violates the Trade Mark that is Kanye West and his financial empire.

These guys are just being assholes really. Anyone else we call it cyber bullying, but kanye is different?

So wait... they changed the image to him as a fish?
I... that's the best response ever. Make it look less like him but at the same time take the piss.

so outdated.

invest in scamcoin! its the future! and lucky for you i am a scamcoin handler with a license from the majesty of scamdinavia!

option1soul:

While parody is protected this is not a parody, its somebody taking Kanye Wests name and image so they can use his popularity to market their own product.

That has got to be the best picture I've ever seen on a coin, fictional or not.

I figured, with an ego as big as his, he'd be all for it. Huh...

rhizhim:
so outdated.

invest in scamcoin! its the future! and lucky for you i am a scamcoin handler with a license from the majesty of scamdinavia!

Scamcoin? Everyone knows that Scamcoin is back by the Nigerian Naira, which has collapsed on the international exchange markets.

What you REALLY want to invest in is Spamcoin. Spamcoin is everywhere and is super easy to mine! Simply provide your contact information (e-mail, mailing address, work and home phone, work address, favorite shops, relative names and addresses) and Spamcoin will fill your virtual wallet. In fact, Spamcoin is guaranteed to arrive faster than you can spend it!

Plus, Spamcoin will to help cure the top 10 medical concerns of polled cryptocurrency users. And Spamcoin will help you find a life-long partner and a one-night stand. And Spamcoin will help you buy an iPad for pennies on the dollar.

Please note that Spamcoin does not contain seasoned pork product and should not be confused with Spancoin, the virtual currency backed by shares of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Spamcoin!

MinionJoe:

rhizhim:
so outdated.

Scamcoin? Everyone knows that Scamcoin is back by the Nigerian Naira, which has collapsed on the international exchange markets.

What you REALLY want to invest in is Spamcoin. Spamcoin is everywhere and is super easy to mine! Simply provide your contact information (e-mail, mailing address, work and home phone, work address, favorite shops, relative names and addresses) and Spamcoin will fill your virtual wallet. In fact, Spamcoin is guaranteed to arrive faster than you can spend it!

Plus, Spamcoin will to help cure the top 10 medical concerns of polled cryptocurrency users. And Spamcoin will help you find a life-long partner and a one-night stand. And Spamcoin will help you buy an iPad for pennies on the dollar.

Please note that Spamcoin does not contain seasoned pork product and should not be confused with Spancoin, the virtual currency backed by shares of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Spamcoin!

pfff, like spamcoin was endorsed by the nigerian counsil of jedi princes.
unlike scamcoin!
the only currency approved of the internet police and the conglomerate of united nations of planet earth.

plus you get a free dvd of the famous original series

option1soul:

If this was copyright, then you'd have a point. Infringement of the right of publicity, however, is a tort claim, not a copyright claim, and any substantive non-news use of a person's image is generally considered a violation of that.

Neronium:
I read "We are in the process of preserving and protecting Mr. West's valuable image..." but what I interpreted it as was "Only Mr. West is allowed to ruin what little amount of public image he has left."

That actually is pretty much the basis of the tort: to avoid association with unauthorized use of their image.

Are they really surprised at this cease and desist?
I'm actually (for the first time in the history of his existence) on the side of Kanye with this one. The entire gimmick of the coin is based on Kanye West. It's a gimmick and they are desperately fighting to keep their gimmick because without it they are nothing.

I'm suprised he didn't sue South Park for that recent episode. Or the earlier one. I mean both of them are attention whores and lawsuits from celebrities bring attention. Instead he's going after a guy who made a digital coin.

As amusing as all this is, I'm sticking to my plastic Canada money.

Redlin5:
As amusing as all this is, I'm sticking to my plastic Canada money.

That's a little unfair, i really like Canadian money. If you get bored some of them have glow in the dark dinosaur skeletons (for realzies) and if you get hungry you can always just peel the foil back and eat them XD

Scrumpmonkey:
SNIP

I never said I didn't like my national currency, I just find it less amusing then the latest Bitcoin of the week. ;P

If I was the one who was doing to the Coinye stuff, I'd have commented; 'I'm a man, Kanye isn't going to do shit to me. If I was a woman, then I may be a little scared.'

So...a worthless internet money thing is being trounced by an equally-worthless rapper. Hilarious!

"Stand up to the system and fight for the people."

^Literally the least inspirational thing I've read all day. If they seriously thought this wouldn't cause a copywrite infringement case (and a very sane one, at that), I want some of what they're smoking.

Chaos Marine:
If I was the one who was doing to the Coinye stuff, I'd have commented; 'I'm a man, Kanye isn't going to do shit to me. If I was a woman, then I may be a little scared.'

I think you are thinking of Chris Brown, there. He's the one who served the jail sentence for domestic abuse.

As for this...seriously, saw this coming a mile away.

Well as long as its pissing off Kanye West its at least worth something.

HAH, Some Lyrical Genius!!
Can't even take a play on words as a joke

I thought the whole Kanye on a bitcoin was dumb as hell when it was announced, but now I think it's fantastic. I kind of wish the new version were a real coin, it'd be a fun little conversation piece to have.

Karloff:

Presumably that should be read as 'fight for the people's right to mine a currency of dubious worth,' since the Coinye has no real value, and perhaps never will.

You misspelt Kanye.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here