Scientifically Accurate Pokemon Will Make You Question Ash's Ethics

Scientifically Accurate Pokemon Will Make You Question Ash's Ethics

Ash Ketchum and Michael Vick have more in common than I would like to admit.

The folks behind "Scientifically Accurate Spider-Man" and "Scientifically Accurate DuckTales" are at it again (clicking on these links might not be safe for work, by the way). But this time, Fox's Animation Domination High-Def (ADHD) crew has set its sights on Pokémon.

In the real world, a career as a Pokémon trainer is far less glamorous than we've been led to believe. Ash Ketchum's existence has more in common with a homeless drifter than a superstar athlete. Plus, the video points out that Ash's chosen profession is essentially the same thing that Michael Vick went to prison for.

Back in April, ADHD released a Scientifically Accurate Ninja Turtles video that resulted in a small controversy. Tim Winter, the head of a family advocacy group known as the Parents Television Council, sent a tersely worded letter to Fox Entertainment. "Even if Fox selected only the most benign programs from the 'ADHD' block to spin into a half-hour time slot on Sunday nights," Winter wrote, "there's no getting around the fact that the online counterpart makes available mind-blowingly explicit parodies of cartoons beloved by millions of children, all without any parental controls or age restrictions whatsoever."

So far, Fox hasn't blinked. The studio declined to comment about the controversy, and has continued releasing hilariously NSFW content online.

Source: YouTube

Cute.

But if we're going to be "scientifically accurate", I'd like to point out a complete absence of any hypotheses, theories, objective evidence, or repeatable experiments in the non-peer-reviewed video.

Wait, is this supposed to be funny? Or is it like the kid in middle school who thinks he is a witty genius when he corrects people on the sky being blue not because of whatever reason, but because the ocean is blue. I checked out a few videos and while I am pretty easy to amuse, this just seems boring and not really news of any kind?

Heh. What's more, mugging is basically rife in the Pokemon world if you think about it, since you can barely walk through a route without being challenged to multiple fights you can't refuse... and if you lose, you have to pay the victor money. Either mugging or highway robbery I guess.

I find it funny that the controversy started with a Ninja Turtles parody; a franchise that got its start as a rather violent and grim comic series; certainly not for kids! IIRC, it was written as a parody of other comics, too!

Awww, I'm dissapointed it didn't go as far as trying to explain how does a Pokémon biology works, instead of repeating the same joke everyone's already done about how Pokémon would be animal cruelty in the real world, how Ash would be a homeless bum, etc.

'Been there, done that. I'm dissapointed it didn't go the previous Turtles and DuckTales route, especially because those were actually funny and were based around actual facts.

I've always looked a little askance at Pokémon ever since I realized it's set in a world where prepubescent children are set loose in a world full of dangerous monsters, and are expected to capture some of them to participate in what's essentially a worldwide cockfighting league. What's even weirder is that, not only are the monsters sapient, but many of them become willing participants in all of this once captured.

And this is a kid's show!

Heh, that is the first thing I had know when it come to questioning Pokemon plotholes. Seriously the age requirement to begin to set out on a Pokemon journey is ten? Even then, the actually equipments needed on the journey is an extensive camping gear, so in another word they are making children campers and also stupid (they should be in school learning, not in the middle of the wood trying to capture some creatures).

It's weird that this is an article. I mean, we all know that this is a fantasy for kids, right? From the very first time I saw a poke battle I compared it to dog fighting. I wasn't mad, it's a fantasy. And it's also not promoting anything bad. But yes, this is an entire world economy built around legal dog fighting. But, the Pokeman are usually shown to be willing participants with human like intelligence.

Somehow, I knew they would shoehorn genitalia somewhere into this video. Even if it was just a flash at the very end.

Damn it, why are so many of you getting bent out of shape at this, it was f*cking hilarious!

I can't fathom how so many of you are so bleeding sensitive about your views on a children's show/game series/multimedia empire that has permeated almost every form of media for the last decade and a half. Pokemon isn't going away while Nintendo still finds it profitable, I don't think it needs your protection.

Yeah, the "pokemon in real life would be considered animal abuse, ha ha ha!" punchline has been used before and rehashed over and over since 1997 and '98, but I think there's a point where people should just get over the criticism and lampshade-hanging the things they love get and learn to laugh with the people poking (moar like poke`ing, amirite? Anybody? Hello?) fun at the franchise. I mean, I did - almost a freaking decade ago.

Could none of you seriously appreciate the humor in the form it was given in? I cracked up at the lyrics and thought it's sync with the original anime's opening credits was an awesome touch.

Don't tell me none of you have a sense of humor!

"Even if Fox selected only the most benign programs from the 'ADHD' block to spin into a half-hour time slot on Sunday nights," Winter wrote, "there's no getting around the fact that the online counterpart makes available mind-blowingly explicit parodies of cartoons beloved by millions of children, all without any parental controls or age restrictions whatsoever."

So wait, isn't this guy saying "I can't be bothered making sure my child doesn't look at anything explicit online, do it for me please"
Dude, parenting. You are bad at it

ScrabbitRabbit:
I find it funny that the controversy started with a Ninja Turtles parody; a franchise that got its start as a rather violent and grim comic series; certainly not for kids! IIRC, it was written as a parody of other comics, too!

haha i was thinking the same.. not very kid friendly with them attending a party and asking for a beer and tossing shredder off the roof of a skyscraper with a hand grenade :D

Well, that's why realism just doesn't work for everything. Saint's row doesn't need more realism. Mario doesn't need more realism. Donkey kong does not need more realism.

They are all just fine. And by the way, the "innocent animals" are made of pixels. Stop bringing ethics into this. Please. Even as a joke. It's not funny anymore, and I'm getting tired of people, jokingly or not, trying to get me to think about the moral and ethical dilemmas of a pile of ones and zeros attached to graphical coding.

Hahahaha! After 12 years of hearing the same joke.... it's still funny... so funny....

You know you usually do a search before you create a topic on a forum. How bout we do a search before you make a parody.

JoJo:
Heh. What's more, mugging is basically rife in the Pokemon world if you think about it, since you can barely walk through a route without being challenged to multiple fights you can't refuse... and if you lose, you have to pay the victor money. Either mugging or highway robbery I guess.

Even worse, they fight you if you make eye contact.

"you looked at me! I'ma FIGHT YOU!"

ScrabbitRabbit:

It was a parody. However, we've always had a double standard when it comes to sex and violence, so I'm sure the turtle penises are what tipped it.

Chimichanga:
Damn it, why are so many of you getting bent out of shape at this, it was f*cking hilarious!

I seriously wonder who you're railing against. The consensus appears to be "yawn." It's hardly "bent out of shape" and more to the point, the complaints are about how tired the things we all figured out fifteen years ago are as a "joke."

Pallindromemordnillap:

So wait, isn't this guy saying "I can't be bothered making sure my child doesn't look at anything explicit online, do it for me please"

Welcome to American media since...Well, the beginning of American media.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here