CSIRO Scientists Apologize for Failure to Create Dragons

CSIRO Scientists Apologize for Failure to Create Dragons

7-year old Sophie Lester asked science for a dragon and science replied.

Perhaps the saddest part of a child's life is when they start to realize all the magical things their parents have been lying about don't really exist. In a few short years the world goes from a mysterious place full of tooth fairies, Santa Clauses and Cthulus to a cynical wasteland where innocence goes to die. That in mind, even being the jaded, cynical adults that we are, we still can't help but let out a big, loud "awwwww" after reading a recent news release from Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO).

You see, this past holiday 7-year old Sophie Lester told her parents to she wanted a dragon for Christmas. This, of course, put her parents in the sad position of informing the Khaleesi-in-training that it was simply something they couldn't do. Not wanting to completely dash her hopes however, they let her write to the scientists at CSIRO to ask if they might be able "make a dragon" for her. "I would call it Toothless if it was a girl and if it is a boy I would name it Stuart," she wrote.

Rather than ignoring her letter, the CSIRO offered up a fairly classy reply. "Over the past 87 odd years we have not been able to create a dragon or dragon eggs," said CSIRO's Vanessa Hill. "We have sighted an eastern bearded dragon at one of our telescopes, observed dragonflies and even measured body temperatures of the mallee dragon. But our work has never ventured into dragons of the mythical, fire breathing variety." The statement then added, "For this Australia, we are sorry." It's a shame too, because we kind of like the look Sophie had in mind.

Source: CSIRO

T^T
Science...why have you failed me!?
I was told that if I believed in science hard enough, and gave them enough money, that anything could be possible.

Someday...

Till then, we rely on video games and fantasy to fulfill that dream.

The universe is enough awesome and mysterious without this products of the limited human imagination.
That being said, i still wish there were unicorns :(

Are....are you telling me dragons don't exist?
I don't believe you, Animal Planet told me so.

In all seriousness though, it would probably be for the best that scientists don't try to make dragons, I mean, I'm sure they've seen Jurassic Park, just imagine that, but worse.

I remember watching this program that suggested that if dragons ever truly existed, they probably breathed fire thanks to a hydrogen air sac within their bodies, as well as titanium teeth that could create sparks to ignite the gas... sometimes I think these networks have too much time on their hands.

Well dammit Science, you should be sorry!

Seriously though, let's get this bio-engineering thing going already. Stop letting silly things like the complex genetics, lack of funding and antiquated morals get in the way.

Dear Science,

Start here:

http://scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/2010/02/16/real-life-dragon-discovered/

Logically, there were larger versions of this in previous times. It should be a fair start to work with.

-Jack

Whatever we dream, think, or create in our minds, could perhaps, exist somewhere out there in a similar form. Many things thought impossible, now became a reality. What is changing is the way we interpret our own imaginative creations with new discoveries. And that is why our exploration curiosity is our driving force as humankind.

So do not give up hope, not just yet.

(A true scientist never dismisses a possibility. Only hints the improbability)

Talk about thinking big, when I was a kid, I wanted to see real dinosaurs! 'Course, now that I'm older, I realize that may bot be the safest idea...

Of course, if dragons existed anywhere it would have to be Australia, the land where in your average forest at least fifteen things can kill you. Including the forest itself.

-Dragmire-:
Someday...

Yeah, but how many video games let you have dragons as pets? Not many that I've seen.

CrazyGirl17:
Talk about thinking big, when I was a kid, I wanted to see real dinosaurs! 'Course, now that I'm older, I realize that may bot be the safest idea...

Yeah, dinosaur bots would be a safer idea.

immortalfrieza:

-Dragmire-:
Someday...

Yeah, but how many video games let you have dragons as pets? Not many that I've seen.

Well, not many good ones. A quick google search for "pet dragon games" says there's quite a bit.

But again, I don't know if "My Pet Dragon" and others of it's ilk can be called a quality experience. Might be fine for a 7 year old though.

-Dragmire-:

immortalfrieza:

-Dragmire-:
Someday...

Well, not many good ones. A quick google search for "pet dragon games" says there's quite a bit.

But again, I don't know if "My Pet Dragon" and others of it's ilk can be called a quality experience. Might be fine for a 7 year old though.

Oh I've Googled them before, but any actual games that allow for an actual dragon raising experience tend to be few and far between, and ones that are official games instead of just flash ones are even fewer. There's a ridiculous number of dragon dress up games I've noticed.

StewShearer:
It's a shame too, because we kind of like the look Sophie had in mind.

Sorry for the dose of adult-world cynicism, but the look she has in mind is exactly this:

That's Toothless, the Night Fury from How To Train Your Dragon.

Which, all things considered, is a very adorable dragon, and also shows this kid has a discerning taste as far as animated films go.

Now, all of you who didn't recognize the character, go and watch the movie (in shame!). Then write letters to every single scientist in the world so they get cracking at making those dragons real!

this story reminds me of the old adage that goes: doesn't matter who you are, if a little girl hands you a toy phone...you answer it.

and apparently (from other reports i has read) Sophie mom has said "All her friends are now saying they want to be a scientist and Sophie says she now wants to work in the CSIRO. She's saying Australian scientists can do anything." and also this morning when the film crew left, Sophie said "I forgot to tell them they can come back when we have a dragon"...so watch out world...one day we just might see Prof Sophie Lester pop up on the news grinning widely and holding a lead...

Oskuro:
That's Toothless

or Stuart...

Us Aussies have a habit of trying to make sure our scientists prioritise their research. Y'know, only focus on the important things...

Apologies for the language in the song.

Bless this girl for getting those priorities right.
But much respect for the CSIRO for recognising their shortcomings and apologising for it.

Oskuro:

That's Toothless, the Night Fury from How To Train Your Dragon.

i sometimes hate when movie translators takes af cool name and replace it. in denmark the night fury is called the night shadow when you directly translat it and in danish it is just natskygge(n).

Frankly, I'm not sure what kind of place this world is becoming when we can't fulfil the simple request of a 7-year old who wants a pet fire-breathing dragon.

Sadly, the events of shadowrun never happened. Which is largely unfortunate, because I like those Dragons. Oh well, when she's older, she'll discover bad dragon.

Hoo-kay! Letting myself out now!

Neronium:
... and gave them enough money...

Therein lies the crux of the problem.

Biological research institutes fight tooth and nail for what few pure-science government research grants they can get.

But there is a solution: Military research.

First, dragons need to be weaponized and sold to the U.S. armed forces.

Then we can make civilian versions for little girls.

This apology doesn't go far enough. If you can't at least make a dinosaur to hold us over it just seems insincere.

infinity_turtles:
This apology doesn't go far enough. If you can't at least make a dinosaur to hold us over it just seems insincere.

How about this then?

The result was the birth of the CSIRO's first dragon at the additive manufacturing facility Lab 22 in Melbourne.

The CSIRO says the scientists there are used to printing anatomically correct insects, biomedical implants and aerospace parts, so they thought a dragon was possible.

"Being that electron beams were used to 3D print her, we are certainly glad she didn't come out breathing them ... instead of fire," the lab's Chad Henry said.

"Titanium is super strong and lightweight, so Toothless will be a very capable flyer."

Looks like she got her dragon after all, at least in spirit.

Source

Shamanic Rhythm:
Of course, if dragons existed anywhere it would have to be Australia, the land where in your average forest at least fifteen things can kill you. Including the forest itself.

Being Australian I can correct you by saying that our average forest does not have at least fifteen things can kill you... that's only our houses, in forests the number is in the thousands.

Mahorfeus:
I remember watching this program that suggested that if dragons ever truly existed, they probably breathed fire thanks to a hydrogen air sac within their bodies, as well as titanium teeth that could create sparks to ignite the gas... sometimes I think these networks have too much time on their hands.

Totally off topic, but damn you for sneaking Cheatyface in with your avatar... I hate that card with a passion, mostly because of all the unhinged games we used to play back in the day. You shall be visited by no less than three Henchgoats. You have been warned.

OT: I fear if science ever does create dragons it will not turn out well. Especially if they somehow create true-to-form firebreathing monstrosities with armored scales and huge sizes... And a hunger for treasure which they'd probably take a crack at Ft. Knox just to get at the gold that may or may not be there.... Anyway if science does that, I'd advise anyone in the Louisville, KY area and surrounding Ft. Knox areas to get the hell out.

This is just a sad story. Way worse than finding out Santa isn't real.
:( At least then you still get presents...

Neronium:
T^T
Science...why have you failed me!?
I was told that if I believed in science hard enough, and gave them enough money, that anything could be possible.

:( It's just not fair....

Eclipse Dragon:
Are....are you telling me dragons don't exist?
I don't believe you, Animal Planet told me so.

In all seriousness though, it would probably be for the best that scientists don't try to make dragons, I mean, I'm sure they've seen Jurassic Park, just imagine that, but worse.

So now the T-rex can fly and breath fire?

:D That sounds a thousand time better to me!

It could only be better if they were purple, and talked!

BeerTent:
Sadly, the events of shadowrun never happened. Which is largely unfortunate, because I like those Dragons. Oh well, when she's older, she'll discover bad dragon.

Hoo-kay! Letting myself out now!

>_< You are, a "bad dragon product".

Nah, it's okay.
But do leave.
Now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: