Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Shia LaBeouf Throws in The Towel, Retires From "Public Life"

shia labeouf image

The actor best known for Indiana Jones and Transformers claims he is "retiring from all public life".

For all you Shia LaBeouf haters, I've got a bit of good news! Following a much publicized case of plagiarism and its ensuing fallout, the actor has announced over Twitter that he is "retiring from all public life". Since appearing in a movie is about as public as you can get, we can assume that this statement means there will be no more Shia LaBeouf movies.

LaBeouf says the move is due to "the recent attacks against my artistic integrity," referring to his highly publicized plagiarism of Daniel Clowes' graphic novel Justin M. Damiano. LaBeouf's short film HowardCantour.com was a blatant rip-off of Justin M. Damiano, and to make matters worse, when he tried to apologize to Clowes, he did so using plagiarized apologies from other celebrities!

He was also criticized by many other high-profile actors for his subsequent Bleeding Cool interview, in which he stated that "Authorship is censorship. ... Simple - should creation have to check with a lawyer?"

LaBeouf, a former child star, is best known for his work in the Transformers trilogy, as well as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where he played Dr. Jones' illegitimate son, and helped murder the entire franchise.

He is currently working on the World War II action flick: Fury, opposite Brad Pitt. It's unknown how this announcement will affect the future of the film.

So, we can all let out a sigh of relief, knowing that our favorite franchises are safe from LaBeouf. Although, considering LaBeouf is only 27 years old, I kind of doubt his "retirement" will stick. What do you think of Shia LaBeouf?

Source: Twitter via IGN

"...planet thanks god; goes on with life."

Nobody said life was easy, pal. You can be rich and popular, yet life can and will still be terrifying at times.

Time to throw a party!

Unfortunately, this will probably be one of those short retirements, especially since he's still so young. But we can always hope.

The guy pretty much plays the same damn character in every movie he's ever been in as far as I know and it's not even a good character I wont miss his movies.

WOOT
Personally, I know how I'm thinking.

Such a terrible loss for the industry. /facepalm

First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!

So where exactly is the line between disproportionate hate and you brought this on yourself? I try to stay on the compassionate side of things as far as public figures (major or minor) are concerned, but in some cases like this or with Phil Fish I just have a hard time maintaining sympathy.

Ah if only. This won't last. He's too narcissistic to deprive us all of his wonderfulness for long.

Steven Bogos:
LaBeouf, a former child star, is best known for his work in the Transformers trilogy, as well as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where he played Dr. Jones' illegitimate son, and helped murder the entire franchise.

That's one Movie Defense Force I'm very eagerly awaiting, frankly, because I never thought that movie was that horrible (and if it was, it wasn't because of The Beef).

I'll give mr Labeouf a most sincere and enthusiastic /shrug

He was pretty much a "meh" entity in the transformers movies and indiana jones movie both. If he hadn't been in any of them, the movies would all remain at the same quality level.

I could honestly care less. I have no love for this actor or his work. I never heard of that plagiarizing thing till now but it certainly doesn't help. A big meh all around

and nothing of value was lost.

Wait...wait...

He's...He's NOT being ironic about that 'artistic integrity' quote, is he?

It's pretty obviously a publicity stunt though, he'll come back in a year with a new movie and say it was all 'performance art'. Why else would he have plagiarised HIS APOLOGY?

*Insert neutral response here*

Yeah, I don't particularly care. I didn't think he ruined Transformers, nor did I think they were terrible. They were decent popcorn action flicks, at least. And I wouldn't care if Shia appeared in another movie or not. He's neither an actor I love or hate. He just kinda appears in movies.

As for the plagiarism, couldn't the creator sue for damages, if he made any money off the work? The fact of the matter is that copyright laws exist specifically to protect creators in these sorts of circumstances.

I never really cared for the character he played (yeah, he only ever seemed to play that trying to be goofy but really just annoying character), even back on Even Stevens. I just found him annoying then, and when his bumbling antics brought down Star Scream, I knew that one scene summed up everything wrong with the Transformers movies.

Fingers crossed he goes "Mickey Rourke" and tries his hand at boxing. I would like to see that, hehehe.

So both Justin Beiber and LaBeef are "retiring"? PHEAR THE POWA OF DA INTERWEBZ MAN CHILDRENZ!

I fail to believe that he actually did retire when he went on to start posting #stopcreating on twitter only about 13 hours after his "retirement" with a picture of the same thing in skywriting.

I get that a lot of people don't think anything having to do with him is a big deal, but watching him steal material from lesser known artists and then claim that it was his divine right as an "artist" to do that is a dangerous precedent. We already have some pretty muddy copyright waters to deal with in the first place. The last thing you need is to have a guy like this storm through the debate and become the voice of people who think all copyright should be destroyed when it's a fact that the minute that happens you're going to see rich dicks like him steal from the nobodies and get away with it (more than they already do).

On top of that, for people who don't create original content, it still impacts you. When companies push to enforce their copyright laws in draconian fashions (illegally at that) against someone like an LP Channel, they're going to have guys like this to point to and go "well if we don't do it then assholes like that are going to just steal from everyone." And in a grand stroke of irony, as they do that, they would be stealing revenue and profit from the little guys who really did create legitimately legal derivative works.

Copyright isn't a black and white issue, there's a lot of fine details that have to be paid attention to to allow people to make derivative works without out-right stealing. But if you let people like him polarize the issue, the one true thing that will happen is that little guys will get crushed as the big assholes fight it out over ownership.

Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-

Anyways, I liked him in Holes, and then proceeded to remain neutral for the rest of his career. I'm unaffected by this news.

I will say that I could have gone on with life without seeing his penis, though. ;____;

It's sad. It's sad that he's so afraid of failing that he takes from others, but that doesn't mean it makes it alright. I think he should take a break from everything, maybe figure out who the hell he actually is instead of who the hell everybody is telling him he is, child stars have problems with that; they don't have a chance to create their own identity, one is always constructed for them.

Not sure he's actually retiring from movies or just from social media. Either way, I feel like river-dancing right now.

Life would be much simpler if the media and the nitwits that are actually fascinated by celebritards like Shia would stop paying attention to them and start making permanent reservations for them at the Padded Walls Hotel. Feel free to roam the halls as you drool on your bathrobe while being offered the best medications and electroshock therapy taxpayer money has to offer.

Might wanna offer a father/daughter suite for Mylie Cyrus and her fuckwit pappy Billie Ray. Cause if I gotta see that two-cent slut stick her tongue out one more time, I'm gonna nail it AND her daddies pecker to a moving subway train. -_-

"the recent attacks against my artistic integrity,"

That implies he had some to attack. Did I miss it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have this made hate-on for Shia like 80% of the movie-going public does, but he seems like an integrity-free shill to me.

TheSapphireKnight:
So where exactly is the line between disproportionate hate and you brought this on yourself? I try to stay on the compassionate side of things as far as public figures (major or minor) are concerned, but in some cases like this or with Phil Fish I just have a hard time maintaining sympathy.

I'm sorry, but what specifically did Shia do that would turn to "proportionate hate?" I mean, the people raging about this plagiarism seem to be the ones who already hated him for "being in that franchise I like" and therefore being the antichrist.

Yeah, Phil Fish was basically an internet tough guy who acted like a dick and couldn't take the same in return, but what was LaBeef's equivalent sin?

You know, I was going to come into this topic feeling bad for Shia Labeouf. I mean, it can't be easy to constantly be told that you kill franchises. Just ask Jake Lloyd.

After finding out why he's upset, though...yeah, no sympathy for that. You steal from someone, then steal from others with your apology, you deserve all the scorn you get.

Edit: And I will say that I think that Shia Labeouf gets a lot more hate than he deserves for his acting. I've actually liked him in most of his movies. He has his character type, but he's willing to go outside it, and can actually carry a movie decently (as mediocre as "Disturbia" was, it would have been a lot worse without him in the main role, since he actually gave the role some depth). But nope, he was in Transformers, that automatically overrides everything...except for Indiana Jones, where he has far from the only issue, or even the worst one.

lacktheknack:
Ah, quit the hyperbolic editorial drama, Steven. The newest Indiana Jones film was not that bad. -___-

I don't get the hate for The Last Crusade either, but that was a long time ago and I think before Shia's career. I don't know what it has to do with this conversation. >.>

Zachary Amaranth:

TheSapphireKnight:

I'm sorry, but what specifically did Shia do that would turn to "proportionate hate?" I mean, the people raging about this plagiarism seem to be the ones who already hated him for "being in that franchise I like" and therefore being the antichrist.

Yeah, Phil Fish was basically an internet tough guy who acted like a dick and couldn't take the same in return, but what was LaBeef's equivalent sin?

I guess my lack of sympathy has less to do with anything he has done and more to do with me not having much interest in the first place. I don't think he deserves as much hate as he gets. With my question I was just curious where the line is for other escapists. I certainly don't think "making a piece of entertainment I didn't like" is a valid reason for spewing bile. Blatant Racism?(Not in this case) I would understand some backlash.

Zachary Amaranth:

lacktheknack:

I don't get the hate for The Last Crusade either, but that was a long time ago and I think before Shia's career. I don't know what it has to do with this conversation. >.>

oh u.

People's utter hatred for Crystal Skull feels like a baffling worldwide prank against me, because I liked it a bit.

Tanis:
First Bay has a meltdown, then Labeouf.

Next Beiver, I'm calling it!

OT: Probably for the best. Once you're apologizing for plagiarizing your previous apology, you're pretty much done.

Esh that article. Maybe this is just a culture gap thing but the way you turn a perfectly legit news article into what is essentially a hate piece on this Shia guy halfway through is really quite jarring to say the least. Like this is almost as... I can't say "sensationalist" because most people would agree with your points, "heavily opinionated" as The Fucking Sun. Sure this new stuff Shia did is kind of douchey but this article starts dragging up his old stuff that has no relation to this news for no reason.

After a lifetime of BBC News, I still can't get over a news piece ripping the piss/heaping love over someone.

Yes, I liked the latest Indy film. If it failed I wouldn't say it's Shia's fault, he's just got one of those faces you could punch all day. Remember it was Micheal Bay that ruined Transformers with his "WOO EXPLOSIONS! 'MERICA!" direction? Not the poster boy main character.

I'm still not sure what to make of people ragequitting an ENTIRE industry. Did people take inspiration from Phil Fish all of a sudden?

I think the only movie of his I ever saw was the original transformers, he didn't seem that bad in it given ya know the materials. Though honestly I didn't even know his name till just now.

Never understood why anyone cares at any point about this guy, either pro or con. And I also liked Crystal Skull, although his presence/absence was not terribly important to the movie.

Zachary Amaranth:

"the recent attacks against my artistic integrity,"

That implies he had some to attack. Did I miss it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have this made hate-on for Shia like 80% of the movie-going public does, but he seems like an integrity-free shill to me.

TheSapphireKnight:

He is a bit of an asshole. He bragged about sleeping with Megan Fox right when she got married, and once said in an interview that he was open to cheating on his girlfriend. His co-stars typically hate him because of his attitude on set. Harrison Ford once called him a "fucking idiot." He's also plagiarized content more than once.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care one way or the other about him, but I won't be sorry to see him go.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here