Dark Souls Cafe Opens Its Doors In Tokyo

Dark Souls Cafe Opens Its Doors In Tokyo

Excited for the launch of Dark Souls 2 in March? Chow down on some Dark Souls-themed meals while you wait.

A Dark Souls-themed cafe has just opened its doors in Tokyo, Japan, serving a number of meals and drinks based on From Software's action RPG, including Estus (beer), roasted mushroom people (sautéed king oyster mushroom) and ring of stone (onion rings).

The cafe is a result of a collaboration between From Software and Tokyo's typically Australian-themed Oz Cafe. Yes, this unfortunately does mean that the Oz Cafe has disappeared for the time being. Check out some images of the cafe below, featuring wait-staff in Dark Souls cosplay, and the various pieces of Dark Souls paraphernalia in the cafe:

The cafe's opening night party had 80 attendees chosen from over 1,000 applicants, and showed some exclusive promotional videos for the upcoming Dark Souls 2.

If you'd like to know more about the cafe, you can check out its Japanese langauge website.

Dark Souls 2 is due out on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on March 11, 2014.

Source & Images: Dengekionline (Japanese) via Polygon

Someone bring me a pint o Estus. Seriously though, that looks freaking awesome. Why does Japan get all of the cool stuff?

A little late aren't we? That being said though i initially thought the estus was apple juice or something like that :P

I really like the look of the menus; they capture the in-game menus perfectly. I only hope that someone orders a meal in a chest and it eats them with big, sharp teeth.

What, do you have to dive out the way of falling rocks at the entrance, and fight a dragon for a Latte?

Still despite the Australia Theme disappearing, it still depicts an area about as deadly as Australia.

Why is there no praising of the sun in these pictures? Also if there isn't graffiti everywhere in a few months telling me of amazing chest ahead, I will be disappoint.

Do you have to order without a menu, and have a chance of accidentally ordering poison?

That seems the only way to fully embrace the 'Whats this about...OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT' gameplay of Dark Souls.

Oh, I thought it was going to be another one of those "Lol us people in China don't care about your American copyrights" things. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually read the article, especially when I remembered that Tokyo is actually in Japan. I need some sleep...

erttheking:
Someone bring me a pint o Estus. Seriously though, that looks freaking awesome. Why does Japan get all of the cool stuff?

i dont know.
getting killed by a waitress because you drew attention to her to ask for the bathroom isnt as cool as it sounds.

As soon as you walk in you get punched in the gut, then they beat you about the head and neck and throw you in the alley.

When you wake up, your wallet is gone, and you're missing a kidney. The scar is the actual ticket to have a proper meal at the cafe.

The meal is your kidney.

Prepare To Dine.

WHAT? SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!

Not that it isn't a fun idea, but it really just looks like a regular restaurant, but with Dark Souls stuff (which looks like they just bought from a store) on the walls.

Maybe I was expecting a bit more... authenticity?

Unless eating and drinking the stuff they serve you there kills you:

0/10filthycasuals2hardcore4u.

It's nice that there are themed restaurants, but I don't get the purpose of them, the games are hardly renowned for their food, and I'm pretty sure that the foodstuffs of Dark Souls would require a hardy digestion system.

So the food is just regular food with a different name, in which case what is the point?

Looks like someone had a great idea but were too much of a coward to go all the way thorough with it. This restaurant lacks the pseudo western medieval theme.

Ring of stone? I'll assume that's Havel the Rock's ring. Yes. I'll eat them.

I was really expecting a 12 course meal where one of the courses has a poison and the other an antidote. So you must eat everything all the time.

I'm gon' get me some Undead Burgers. With a Ceaseless Discharge of ketchup. Okay that just sounds pretty unpleasant now.

Hopefully the menu is totally opaque as in it just says "Burger" and then you have to go to another page of the menu to find out what's actually on the burger.

I kid, I kid. I'd actually totally go there if it didn't involve a trip around the world.

Cool, I'm so glad I'm living in Japan right now

Eh I preferred the Resident Evil cafe more, it had more of a proper theme going on and more effort and decoration put into it.

Hey, unless you have to fight martial arts masters to get a cup of coffee, its not being hard enough.

I swear, if it isn't like this comic, then I'm going to be severely disappointed:

http://wanderingminds.org/bowchan2/src/DwarfFortress.jpg

SourMilk:
Looks like someone had a great idea but were too much of a coward to go all the way thorough with it. This restaurant lacks the pseudo western medieval theme.

Agreed. I mean god, it's far too bright to be an indoor place, and it doesn't even look like half of those comfy, cushiony seats are booby-trapped at all! And where's the god dang boar served up in a boar-shaped metal helmet?

Also, I only saw one person being back-stabbed... That number needs to at least hit half of everyone there, customers and workers alike.

So do you have a certain time limit to eat your main course before the 4 Kings spawn?

My cousin is off to Japan and is planning on visiting this place, he mentioned how one of the dishes were called "Kalameat"
Lucky bastard... better bring me an Estus Flask when he gets back.

I read half the joke comments in here and immediately know who hasn't played Dark Souls. (VVV This is not an example below. I just had the compulsion being a hardcore Prepare-to-Diehard VVV)

Elijin:
Do you have to order without a menu, and have a chance of accidentally ordering poison?

You can't order poison. But the seats are probably waste high in a poisonous bog. The purple moss is available upon request. If you order the mud pie, making sure you get the purple-and-white moss. If you accidentally cut yourself on the silverware and begin bleeding out, ask for red moss. Knowing the difference could save your life.

Shocksplicer:
Prepare To Dine. WHAT? SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!

LOL. I wish it had been the author. It's kinda sad he didn't have a quip prepared for this. Missed opportunity I guess.

StriderShinryu:
Hopefully the menu is totally opaque as in it just says "Burger" and then you have to go to another page of the menu to find out what's actually on the burger.

You're probably right. Once served, make sure you open inventory, highlight the burger, and hit Square/X to compare stats to your currently equipped meal. Hit Square/X a second time to learn the burgers history and perks.

thisbymaster:
I was really expecting a 12 course meal where one of the courses has a poison and the other an antidote. So you must eat everything all the time.

Even if the poison is in the main course, that's what the purple moss side-salad is for. :)

TizzytheTormentor:
Hey, unless you have to fight martial arts masters to get a cup of coffee, its not being hard enough.

Unarmed PVP? Dude... you're hardcore! Or patient! Or... an environment exploiter! Which sounds better, dropping an item onto a swinging blade's path, or onto a boss spawn point for when your opponent is in position to loot?

Xcell935:
So do you have a certain time limit to eat your main course before the 4 Kings spawn?

Naw dude you're cool. I just read the site and the customer safety section states that you're safe as long as you don't order the Sif's Hot Dog with Onion Rings of Artorias.

I'm sorry.

Shocksplicer:
Prepare To Dine.

WHAT? SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!

Okay, that gave me a chuckle. I thank you.

OT: So would I have to deal with Ornstein and Smough on the way in? Would I be waited upon by a woman with large breasts? Would I end up a Hollow if I attempt to dine and dash?

Dunno why this is all that newsworthy, since apparently things like this are fairly commonplace in Japan:

http://www.gamesradar.com/plus-alpha-call-duty-cafe/

http://www.gamesradar.com/plus-alpha-strawberry-brains-shinjukus-capcom-bar/

Still, sounds nice enough, and I wish stuff like this happened in the States.

Triality:

Xcell935:

Naw dude you're cool. I just read the site and the customer safety section states that you're safe as long as you don't order the Sif's Hot Dog with Onion Rings of Artorias.

I'll take your word for it, but just to be safe I'm bringing my chaos claymore with full havels in case one of the bastards shows up, better safe then sorry.
Afterwards I'll hopefully get to meet the Chef, Kaathe.

Unless you see someone standing there in full havels, chain chugging estus whist a huge man beats on them with a massive flaming sword you wont get the full darksouls experience, even if that person would be considered a poise stacking fat roll coward :P.

I also don't see a black knights halberd on the wall, my most beloved companion :(.

Interesting, and it's cool that this series has gotten this level of popularity and fame. That said I can't help but wonder if it's a very temporary promotional gimmick, and if this place will be there, or even remembered, in 10 years, especially if the franchise ends.

It's also hard to tell what their prices are like.

That said, these kinds of theme bars/eateries open up all the time, especially in touristy areas and such, it's just very few currently cater to aspects of geek culture. It's also typically more along the line of it actually being the same basic place, it's just they change the name and décor, and maybe the menu, while maintaining the same management.

I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember hearing about a "Silent Hill" themed Café in Florida when Universal was doing Silent Hill as the theme for their yearly Halloween event, with the wait staff dressed as the nurses and such. Of course that might have been in the park itself, and I seem to remember it was like $25 for a Cheeseburger and fries.

I don't know, it looks like a regular restaurant that has somebodies game swag collection decorating it, and then a medieval armory vomited on it. It lacks unity.

It needs some actual stone and fake torches, maybe some thick antiqued tables.

Will you be in danger from the food, the staff, or just other patrons all as justifiably paranoid as you? A good place to loot the bodies, if you have quick hands.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here