Anonymous Dev Claims Nintendo Unfamiliar with PSN and Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Anonymous Dev Claims Nintendo Unfamiliar with PSN and Xbox Live

An anonymous developer claims nobody in Nintendo's Wii U "development teams" have used PSN or Xbox Live.

If you ever wondered why Nintendo's online infrastructure is nowhere near as robust as the PlayStation Network or Xbox Live, that's because "nobody" in Nintendo's development teams have used them. This was revealed in a detailed tell-all piece by Eurogamer, where an anonymous developer spills the beans on how Nintendo presented the Wii U initially to studios and what the process was like to develop a third-party title for the console.

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

It's a rather revealing read where it also talks about the hardships in communicating with Nintendo's Japanese headquarters, how he knew then that the Wii U would be under-powered, and even lists his reasons why most third-party games don't see Wii U releases. Given it's been a while since the Wii U's conception and release, let's hope Nintendo's development teams have now started looking at what their competition does right. Otherwise, the next Nintendo console might see another third-party drought.

Is it surprising that Nintendo's development teams aren't familiar with PSN or Xbox Live? If you had to hazard a guess, which third-party studio is the anonymous dev from and at which publisher?

Source: Eurogamer

wow nintendo really do live in their own little japanese only speak world dont they. im stunned that developers had to wait a week for nintendo support to translate a question into japanese, answer it, translate it badly into english and then reply :-|

no wonder the 3rd party developers are steering clear of the damn thing

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me, trying to create some sensationalism out of the obvious. An 'Xbox Live' like environment takes a hell of a lot of development and expertise. This sort of thing is Microsoft's bread & butter, and they had it nearly from the start. Sony has caught up but it's taken them nearly 2 console generations to do so.

Nintendo just doesn't really have the horses to play copy cat here, and it would be foolish for them to try. They're better off doing their own them and coming up with less elegant but more practical solutions to an online environment.

I mean whats next, are devs going to start wondering why Nintendo doesn't have massive server farms already to host cloud computing for their games?

RandV80:

Nintendo just doesn't really have the horses to play copy cat here, and it would be foolish for them to try. They're better off doing their own them and coming up with less elegant but more practical solutions to an online environment.

Don't be ridiculous, please. It's not about being a copy cat, it's about entering XXI century. No one expects full xbox live or Steam functionality on day1, but proper online distribution service is not that much of a challenge for company this size and yet Ninny has probably the worst out there. Even freaking Desura is miles ahead of Nintendo's eStore last time I've checked and it's community driven FFS.

So this story is basically "I read a story about a guy that was talking to another guy and they said that..."

With no sources, at all, they only way to verify this allegation is for Nintendo to come out and say "we are one of the oldest, most successful, most profitable, and most experienced games companies in the world and if you honestly believe that no one in this company has ever used our competitors services, even once purely for a frame of reference you are wrong."

I don't doubt that they had more work than they thought going into the process, but really? We are expected to take at face value what appears to be a reposting of a troll story with the tag #derpynintendo?

If i had to guess where this story came from, id say its a dev working on a multiplayer-focused game for all major platforms.

Going by that logic, the source is most likely from one of the Call of Duty studios.

That is, of course, assuming a writer at Eurogamer didnt pull something out of his/her ass in order to garner ad revenue.

Edit: Having actually read the article, the anon dev said that their game was "generally well received", and was a launch title.

Therefore it seems more likely that he was on the team responsible for ZombiU.

Are there so few news that you have to rely on anonymous sources again?

I think I saw a critical miss comic a few months back related to this kind of news....

the one thing i took away from it is that nintendo dont particularly care about how anything is done if its not done the traditional nintendo way

Okay no sources is a problem for the story.

But come on.. someone in the team there must have experience with xbox live or Playstation Network. That simply is how it is done in a world with different brands in the same market. I am certain that BMW keeps research on other german brand cars. They have to stay informed in what will drive the next buyers market.

If audi comes out with a model with a certain elan, lets say a luxury car that also has some off road capabilities expect that BMW within the year has a model that does it to. And of course if BMW comes out with a model with a certain elan audi guess what has a car for that piece of the market to within a year.

Still we are talking about Nintendo. And lets be fair about that they are a bit odd. Lovable odd yes! But odd! They might actually not understand online at all. We already seen it with the friendcodes! Enough reason for game developers to make an online system that did go around the rotten friendcode system.

Nintendo indeed might be utterly lacking any insight in what is working in the western world. Wouldn't that be a shame..
Personally I don't require Nintendo to have services as good as Xbox Live or PSN. But what they have now isn't really up to any standards.

Normally I don't trust "anonymous sources", but this story being true would certainly help explain Nintendo's godfuckingawful online offerings.

Considering that their network was crushed over the holidays and their Pokemon Bank is three weeks late they seem unfamiliar with their own network as well.

Nintendo can't internet

Even if they were familiar with competing systems, there's no guarantee they would it would be up to par on release. EA's Origin was abysmal on launch, hasn't improved much and they had a somewhat decent example to copy.

I've said it in other forums, and I'll say it again- I really don't trust claims from sources that are "anonymous" from an unknown development team with no background history. Why do they want to keep themselves unknown? Every company under the sun took a shit on the Wii U publicly. Why are they so under wraps about their identity? What have they possibly got to lose?

The whole thing is fishy, especially when I never heard this complaint from any dev this gen or last gen.

Leximodicon:
Considering that their network was crushed over the holidays and their Pokemon Bank is three weeks late they seem unfamiliar with their own network as well.

Nintendo can't internet

That "Nintendo can't internet" line cracked me up. :)

Dragonbums:
I've said it in other forums, and I'll say it again- I really don't trust claims from sources that are "anonymous" from an unknown development team with no background history. Why do they want to keep themselves unknown? Every company under the sun took a shit on the Wii U publicly. Why are they so under wraps about their identity? What have they possibly got to lose?

The whole thing is fishy, especially when I never heard this complaint from any dev this gen or last gen.

Reason they want to remain anonymous is simple: they prefer to keep their jobs. Lots of developers sign NDAs and even if they didn't, crapping on a major platform holder is something you never want to do. People know people and more often than not, you end up working/interacting with the same people around the videogame industry. Would you risk your livelihood just to gain internet fame? Personally, I wouldn't.

Dragonbums:

Y'know, putting aside the anonymous bit, there is still one gigantic problem with this article that makes its validity extremely dubious: it's one guy. Not a team, not even multiple members of a team, but just ONE GUY. I believe there's a word for this kind of information: anecdotal. It's not even close to being "tell-all", it might as well be some random dude's Live Journal entry. If this article had multiple instances of this MAYBE it would hold more wait, but for now let's just call it how it is: next to worthless. One instance is not indicative of a pattern. I just find it funny how Eurogamer thought this was some big, dramatic piece...and next to no one cared because it was so flimsy it took all of five minutes to get dismantled.

Alex Co:

Reason they want to remain anonymous is simple: they prefer to keep their jobs. Lots of developers sign NDAs and even if they didn't, crapping on a major platform holder is something you never want to do. People know people and more often than not, you end up working/interacting with the same people around the videogame industry. Would you risk your livelihood just to gain internet fame? Personally, I wouldn't.

Regardless if they kept themselves anonymous or not, they can still be found out by Nintendo themselves and get in trouble. They gave enough supposed "information" about their interactions with them that Nintendo can deduce who the heck it was. Providing of course that the entire thing wasn't a complete lie in the first place.
If they don't want to risk their gaming livelihood, why would they go out with this story in the first place? Especially now that it blew up all over the internet.
This whole article is a joke, and I'm a bit ashamed that Escapist decided to publish articles on unverified stories, from unverified sources about a company supposedly doing a thing.

Any clown can write that and claim they are a dev and state it's true.

Aiddon:

Dragonbums:

Y'know, putting aside the anonymous bit, there is still one gigantic problem with this article that makes its validity extremely dubious: it's one guy. Not a team, not even multiple members of a team, but just ONE GUY. I believe there's a word for this kind of information: anecdotal. It's not even close to being "tell-all", it might as well be some random dude's Live Journal entry. If this article had multiple instances of this MAYBE it would hold more wait, but for now let's just call it how it is: next to worthless. One instance is not indicative of a pattern. I just find it funny how Eurogamer thought this was some big, dramatic piece...and next to no one cared because it was so flimsy it took all of five minutes to get dismantled.

It's not just Eurogamer. It's the entire damn gaming sphere that's buying into this bullshit. For every 30 comments of people patting themselves on the back because Nintendo once again is "out of touch with the 21st century" because some random guy who claims to be a dev says so, you have 1-2 people legitimately question the validity of not only the source of the article, but the wording. One person in this thread even noted that the person ended said "inside scoop" with #derpynintendo. Yeah, that's some real valid shit right here guys.

Dragonbums:

It's not just Eurogamer. It's the entire damn gaming sphere that's buying into this bullshit. For every 30 comments of people patting themselves on the back because Nintendo once again is "out of touch with the 21st century" because some random guy who claims to be a dev says so, you have 1-2 people legitimately question the validity of not only the source of the article, but the wording. One person in this thread even noted that the person ended said "inside scoop" with #derpynintendo. Yeah, that's some real valid shit right here guys.

Actually the article itself hasn't gained a lot of traction on the net. A few sites have reported it, but it was quickly forgotten after you had a lot of people realize the problems with it. Sure, anti-Nintendo zealots will gobble it up, but it doesn't take a whole lot to rile up that crowd. Seriously, when the Gamefaqs message boards aren't milking this, you KNOW it's a crap article. Best to just move on and forget it even existed.

I also find it hard to believe that this is true. Maybe as Nintendo employees they felt an allegiance to not purchase other products? It's still pretty weird even then. That's pretty basic business 101. Look at what's being done right and emulate or improve on that while avoiding the things that are being done badly.

But that article is huge and detailed. This point is a small point made in what seems like an extremely knowledgeable article. It's fairly likely that it contains a decent amount of truth.

Also, this may explain why the Nintendo store was so backwards. I mean, you have to admit, it's one of Nintendo's worst features.

So, I'm going to fall on the side of this being true until explained otherwise. All of the elements are there for this to be true except the name of the person talking. The topic of this thread is only one of many points in the article.

The main point of the article is the gulf in power between the WiiU and the next gen. The WiiU is basically just a 360 with twice as much RAM available for games (1gb available for gaming). That will be a problem whether we acknowledge it now or not. That this article here seperated out their experience with other businesses handling of online networks is really just a small part of the big picture. Nintendo went into the 8th generation unprepared. It worked fine for them to ignore the competition in the 7th generation. The WiiMote was practically a secret weapon that had them playing by different rules. But now, everyone has motion control. So they have to compete if they can't innovate beyond the competion. Even with the gamepad it looks like Sony is doing it better. But, to be fair, how could they have seen multiple years into the future when they released a year earlier? Launching first has its advantages and disadvantages. This is one of them.

Dragonbums:
For every 30 comments of people patting themselves on the back because Nintendo once again is "out of touch with the 21st century" because some random guy who claims to be a dev says so

Nope it's the other way around. People give this guy some credit, because Nintendo IS OUT OF TOUCH with 21st century, so his story sounds valid.

Just read the article.
I've decided that there are a few things I should bring up regarding the rest of the anonymous's statement. And some things he said. First of all:

... "They wanted a console that was the same size as the Wii and wouldn't make much noise, so "mum wouldn't mind having it in the living room". It was during this statement that quiet alarm bells started to ring in my brain, but I ignored them and continued watching the presentation."

I'm no developer, but that seems like a noble goal for a company such as Nintendo that aims for a family-friendly branding. I think those quiet alarms may have been a bit early and unprovoked.

... "I realised the reason for my earlier alarm bells. If Nintendo wanted the hardware to have a small footprint and be quiet, they needed minimal fan noise, meaning that cooling was limited, which in turn meant that the CPU would have to produce a minimal amount of heat, which meant that the clock speed would have to be kept low. While I can't confirm specific details, the collective thoughts of the internet are presented for reference on Wikipedia."

So Mr. Anonymous perhaps feels that the product may be doomed to fail. Although, his string of logic seems a bit dismissive. For instance, why do laptops of similar size and the same CPU's sometimes have different rates of heating up? Why can a Macbook produce no noise while being stronger than one of my other non-mac laptops (and weaker than the other)? I wonder, perhaps there are sometimes more than one way to solve a problem?

... "over the course of six months we received multiple different development kits in a variety of colours, none of which revealed why they were different from the previous one. We knew that there were some hardware bugs that were being fixed, but the release notes rarely stated what had changed - we just had to take the new ones and get them working with our code again"

Mr. Anonymous has a point here if this is true for the whole 3rd party industry. Unfortunately, it seems Nintendo didn't communicate well. Mr. Anonymous also claims that correspondence was frequently late and in broken English, so that was handled very poorly by Nintendo. However, I'm less inclined to take this lack of communication seriously if Mr. Anonymous doesn't work for a larger 3rd party after all, and in fact works for someone that Nintendo simply doesn't have time for (again, Nintendo should have the same respect for all devs, but there are a lot of them). But if this is a larger company, like Ubisoft or Tecmo, then for shame, Nintendo. And I bet it is.

..."We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before"

Perhaps the reason they didn't have time to work on it was because they were trying to find ways to solve the aforementioned hardware capability issues. It would explain the constant changes in the hardware of the dev kits and the lack of communication. And to some degree, it sounds like they did manage to get something done, as, by Mr. Anonymous's own admission, the GPU was better than expected, perhaps Nintendo's answer to the CPU being only okay as predicted.

And I'm sure Nintendo has used PSN and XBL. The controversial quote was almost certainly made during the broken English correspondence, with a poor translation deliberately taken out of context. Considering Japanese sentence structure, particle omissions, etc., I imagine the attempted statement was along the lines of "Please stop comparing this service to the PSN or the XBL; we want our gamers to have an experience that is unique to Nintendo, as opposed to playing those." But a broken, direct translation may have been: "To PSN and XBL please don't say about. [implied subject] don't use those services." Pick a subject. The translator picked the speaker. I imagine the intention was the consumers, and there was probably another sentence to prove it, as well as clarifying verbs.

So which dev?

It's probably someone who launched a release game, or close to it. It's probably not the one responsible for AssCreed4 or ME3, since those were examples used in the article. I also imagine it's based in an English-speaking country (at least not a Japanese-speaking one, anyway). It's also likely a company that only has one game on the Wii U roster.

I'm going with:
Vigil Games, with Darksiders II.
A cursory reading of the game states that it was critically well-received, but sales did not meet expectations. A cursory reading of the company states that it went bankrupt, and as such Mr. Anonymous was likely unemployed at time of writing. Vigil was working on a Microsoft Windows title at time of closure.

I was going to say Rocksteady studios, what with it being British and all, but I read the Wii U section of Wikipedia's Arkham City and found too much glowing praise for the Wii U to think it's them.

Elithraradril:

Dragonbums:
For every 30 comments of people patting themselves on the back because Nintendo once again is "out of touch with the 21st century" because some random guy who claims to be a dev says so

Nope it's the other way around. People give this guy some credit, because Nintendo IS OUT OF TOUCH with 21st century, so his story sounds valid.

No it doesn't. It only sounds valid to you because it serves as a confirmation bias to your own opinions. There are some things Nintendo is lagging behind, sure. However I'm not going to give credit to some anonymous source from who knows where, written by who fucking knows, about a company we don't know the inner workings of. Especially if they are claiming that Nintendo has NEVER used any of their competitors services. Not even looking up a fucking Youtube video.

Especially evident when a bunch devs already called out the source of this as total garbage http://www.destructoid.com/experienced-devs-counter-anonymous-wii-u-criticisms-268857.phtml

I mean, come on now.

I'd have hard time believing this was true, if not for the fact that Nintendo also apparently had zero experience and quite a hard time with high definition when working on the Wii-U. When the competion already had 7 years of experience under their belt. They seem to operate within their own little bubble. So if this story were to be true it really wouldn't surprise me.

Casual Shinji:
I'd have hard time believing this was true, if not for the fact that Nintendo also apparently had zero experience and quite a hard time with high definition when working on the Wii-U. When the competion already had 7 years of experience under their belt. They seem to operate within their own little bubble. So if this story were to be true it really wouldn't surprise me.

They just need time, who knows. The Wii U could have massive changes made to its online over time. The Xbox 360 started out pretty damn bumpy in my opinion, at least here in NZ. I'm happy with my Wii U and PC setup at the moment, so I can still play big multiplayer games and still enjoy what the Wii U has to offer.

You know, I almost read this as a weird message from those hacker dumbasses. Still, wait...ummm...no, I don't get it. What does this MEAN exactly?

Dragonbums:

No it doesn't. It only sounds valid to you because it serves as a confirmation bias to your own opinions. There are some things Nintendo is lagging behind, sure. However I'm not going to give credit to some anonymous source from who knows where, written by who fucking knows, about a company we don't know the inner workings of. Especially if they are claiming that Nintendo has NEVER used any of their competitors services. Not even looking up a fucking Youtube video.

Especially evident when a bunch devs already called out the source of this as total garbage http://www.destructoid.com/experienced-devs-counter-anonymous-wii-u-criticisms-268857.phtml

I mean, come on now.

Heck, Hideki Kamiya has chipped in as well:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=220379

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can just file this under "some anon got to pretend his opinion was newsworthy." Moving on.

Had a crack on my mate's PS4 the other day, I still can get over the cheek of charging people for basic internet functionality, I honestly didn't realise you had to pay to go online in any meaningful way with a console. On PSN, some of the download games are more expensive that shop bought copies, what the hell is that all about?

Dragonbums:

I mean, come on now.

While they did counter a lot of things, I notice that they didn't counter the claim of how behind Nintendo allegedly was with with its online capabilities.

It is actually believable though considering Nintendo's goals and their really late start into online gaming.

KoudelkaMorgan:
So this story is basically "I read a story about a guy that was talking to another guy and they said that..."

With no sources, at all, they only way to verify this allegation is for Nintendo to come out and say "we are one of the oldest, most successful, most profitable, and most experienced games companies in the world and if you honestly believe that no one in this company has ever used our competitors services, even once purely for a frame of reference you are wrong."

I don't doubt that they had more work than they thought going into the process, but really? We are expected to take at face value what appears to be a reposting of a troll story with the tag #derpynintendo?

Agreed. I don't want to see the Escapist go into the direction of Kotaku and start making stuff up. I've got enough problems with the gaming media as it is and we don't need another website going to the dogs.

Dragonbums:

No it doesn't. It only sounds valid to you because it serves as a confirmation bias to your own opinions. There are some things Nintendo is lagging behind, sure.

Like 'everything'. Nintendo is fine as hardware & software producer but as publisher and distributor they're somewhere around gameboy advanced era.

Dragonbums:
However I'm not going to give credit to some anonymous source from who knows where, written by who fucking knows, about a company we don't know the inner workings of.

You actually expect to ever get this kind of info with specified source ? :) You sign this kind of news and your career in IT is over. No company will ever hire a guy stupid enought to admit that he shared details of business meeting with press. So there are two options: you get anonymous info, or you get years-outdated info that cannot harm current business activities.

Dragonbums:

Especially if they are claiming that Nintendo has NEVER used any of their competitors services. Not even looking up a fucking Youtube video.

Well, this at least explains why digital distribution by Nintendo is fucking joke. It's this or they're just too lazy to give a damn about their customers.

Elithraradril:
]

Like 'everything'. Nintendo is fine as hardware & software producer but as publisher and distributor they're somewhere around gameboy advanced era.

Aside from the fact that your comment has no relation to the part of the comment you quoted, your going to have to elaborate on their publisher status a lot. Because you still seem to think that an anonymous source already debunked as crap by various other developers and more recently the head of P* is true.
Again, confirmation bias at work.

Dragonbums:

You actually expect to ever get this kind of info with specified source ? :)

You fucking bet I do if you expect me to even begin to take this with less than a can of salt.

You sign this kind of news and your career in IT is over.

Hasn't stopped other studios from doing it publicly. The only bridge they are burning is with Nintendo, and as far as every third party dev on Nintendo is concerned, they could care less.

No company will ever hire a guy stupid enought to admit that he shared details of business meeting with press. So there are two options: you get anonymous info,

Regardless, the person who said that nonsense will get found out internally anyway. And he will get fired.

or you get years-outdated info that cannot harm current business activities.

Except this news story is clearly hurting the business image of Nintendo regardless of whether or not it's true.

And if it's known to be outdated by years, why in the actual fuck would any news site with an ounce of integrity bother to even post news articles on it?- oh right, it's to generate click bait material.

Well, this at least explains why digital distribution by Nintendo is fucking joke. It's this or they're just too lazy to give a damn about their customers.

What the heck? Did you even read my comment?

Also, what exactly is bad about their distribution system? Last time I checked, you find a game on the store, you buy it, it downloads, and it's on your system. Seems to me that you haven't used their services at all. The real big complaint is a unified account system. That's it.
The act of actually buying a fucking game from Nintendo's online store is just as much of a hassle as doing it on the PSN, and Xbox Live.

Arnoxthe1:

Dragonbums:

I mean, come on now.

While they did counter a lot of things, I notice that they didn't counter the claim of how behind Nintendo allegedly was with with its online capabilities.

It is actually believable though considering Nintendo's goals and their really late start into online gaming.

One of the devs elaborated (as much as you can on Twitter anyway) that the whole online thing was simply a problem in the very very early devkits. That has since been improved tremendously during the Wii U's lifespan. As for Nintendo's experience with online systems? I mean...do we reeeeeeeallllly need someone to verify that people at Nintendo actually do have a bare minimum experience of Xbox Live and PSN?

I mean, really, the last console I owned not from Nintendo was the PS2, and even I have used the Xbox Live and PSN at some point. To make such an accusation at the staff at Nintendo is pure nonsense.

EDIT: It should also be noted that since devs claimed this was a problem long since abolished very early in the Wii U's life, and that it's clear that these devs don't have a continuous working relationship with Nintendo (otherwise they would've known they improved drastically) a good amount of people have deduced down to 3-4 studios who may be the origins of this "source"

EDIT AGAIN: According to various links in the comments section of multiple websites, the person in question is from Criterion. http://www.doomedsince1889.com/2014/01/12/digital-foundrys-secret-developers-the-wii-u-story-anonymous-developer-exposed/

Good job Eurogamer.

Also, what exactly is bad about their distribution system? Last time I checked, you find a game on the store, you buy it, it downloads, and it's on your system. Seems to me that you haven't used their services at all.

Last time I've checked it was full of region lock, had ancient payment system, ridiculous prices and no interface other than 3DS itself.
Also about 2 months after I got mine DS the official Nintedo site in my country turned into smth like this:
http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/poland-europe/

Nice, isn't it ?

Sorry, but if I'm being considered third rate customer, than I'm forced to consider to see Nintendo as third rate distributor.

Though to be fair there is a difference between someone in Nintendo who plays other systems and one that will admit it in front of the company

I wouldn't necessarily doubt that some of the bigwigs have their heads off in the (non-internet) clouds. But I'm kind of doubting the tech teams are that far out of it. They could be doing an early 2000s microsoft though (back when MS had prototypes of smartphones and e-readers, and the upper crust ditched the projects cause they weren't Windowsy enough, allowing Apple to swoop in and murder them)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here