Microsoft's Phil Spencer: Xbox One Won't Be The Last Console

Microsoft's Phil Spencer: Xbox One Won't Be The Last Console

Cloud computing may be the way of the future, but the power of local hardware increases with each generation.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer doesn't think consoles are going out of business any time soon. Though the power of the cloud increases day by day, local hardware capacity increases with each generation, he Tweets. So if you were wondering whether the shiny new box next to / under / over / surgically implanted inside your television is the last shiny new box you'll ever buy, take note: Spencer says no.

Interestingly, Spencer also points to bandwidth caps as an ongoing problem. "Still believe HW & SW engrs working together will find local HW scenarios critical," he Tweets. You'd almost think Microsoft wasn't the company championing an always-on internet connection last year, at least right up until its famous U-turn.

Mind you, we still don't know whether Xbox is part of Microsoft's future. Steve Ballmer's impassioned defence aside, Microsoft's new CEO - whoever that turns out to be - might have different ideas about Microsoft's product line. Stephen Elop, the man who'd sell Xbox and Bing, is still in the running for the top spot.

Source: OXM

Remember when the phrase "got your head in the Clouds" was synonymous with "not having a clue about reality?" Pepperidge Farms remembers.

And while the XBone certainly won't be the last gaming console in the world, it's just likely to be Microsoft's last gaming console. Nothing Phil says contradicts that prediction.

I just love how he is shooting down the shit they themselves try to sell.

But on a more serious note, what about TVs? Just look at what the Tegra K1 is capabel of, that thing easily fits into a television.

I think this article should have ended five words in. "Microsoft's Phil Spencer doesn't think."

I thought some guy in the biz said that it WAS their last console. Well, whatever the case, Microsoft, you shouldn't threaten us like that. You KNOW how we respond to threats. If you want more business, open up to China like Nintendo did.

I have no doubts that Nintendo will continue to make, sell and profit very nicely from consoles for many generations to come.

But I just can't say the same about Microsoft, I'm just not sure what it is you're trying to do, but I know I don't like it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here