Sherlock's Amanda Abbington Receives Death Threats for Her Role

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sherlock's Amanda Abbington Receives Death Threats for Her Role

Sherlock season 3 The Sign of Three

Amanda Abbington, actress of Mary Morstan in Sherlock, received comments from "a small group" telling her to die.

Sherlock's season three has already come to an end as has John Watson's (Martin Freeman) time as a bachelor. Amanda Abbington made her Sherlock debut as Mary Morstan, John's romantic interest and spouse as of "The Sign of Three." From time of the show's third season production to its air date, a small group of Sherlock fans have sent Abbington death threats.

Abbington began receiving death threats while the third season was still in production. Freeman, Abbington's partner, spoke out about it a month ago, saying the people who sent death threats were "not fans of the show - they're fans of a show going on their heads."

Speaking with The Times, Abbington revealed the types of comments she received once her role on the show was disclosed. "I got, 'She should die. How dare she play Mary Morstan? How dare she!'" Abbington said. "They take the John and Sherlock storyline so seriously that they wouldn't want anyone coming between them."

Mary and John marry in the second episode, and Sherlock gives them whatever blessings he can muster. For much of the series, the show jokes that John is gay and has feelings for Sherlock. And while it would be great to see a gay couple featured in a popular, mainstream show, the show's creators, as well as Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes), have all made their intentions known: Sherlock and John were never going to be interested in each other romantically or sexually.

Source: The Times

For the love of God. The things people do because they want two fictional people to fuck. Honestly.

The ridiculous thing is that she's actually really dynamite in the role. I thought she'd be a third wheel, but turns out I'm really liking her character.

erttheking:
For the love of God. The things people do because they want two fictional people to fuck. Honestly.

What?

You think this is bad?

You aint seen SHIT boy, YOU. AINT. SEEN. SHIT.

The things people would do to get two fictional characters to fuck would probable include several counts of murder.

Trying to understand the thought process of someone sending these death threats just boggles my mind.

Damn gaming community! Dont they know that puts another bad light on us?

Ridiculous. Groups of people like this are ridiculous. All I can say is that this was going to happened as ordained by the writer, the actress certainly has nothing to do with it. If she were to quit the show now, they would have another Mary in no time. Also, not to pick on the author, but there are gay couples in prime time and front stage television shows. Just not ones based off of classic literature.

How is this a story? there are people who send death threats for the sake of sending death threats. It is like saying "oh someone said something mean on the internet".

Wasn't a big fan of the wedding episode, but after last night's finale I have to say she's one of the best things that could have happened to the series. Not too sure about that ending though.

For me the thing that makes the "fans" outrage go from pathetic to comical is the fact that Amanda Abbington is Martin Freeman's partner.

slow news day?

OT
what is wrong with people? It's just tv show.
If someone really disagree with what's happening in the show then stop watching it and move on with life.

I assume spoilers are fair game, considering the article itself is a spoiler.

Ignoring the death threats, I understand the dissatisfaction with this. While I like the actress and character, I feel she should've come later. The episode was drawn out and the episode was focusing too much on how "getting married changes everything" as well as Sherlock's idiot savant nature, rather than mystery.
(Also, watching Sherlock trying to figure out who would be the likely target, when he already knows there's a person sitting there responsible for the death of an entire squad of rookies is excruciating.)

Generally there have been some odd choices in this series and the show pretends to be far more clever than it actually is. I'm not good at deducting, but the stories aren't hard to predict and when the mystery really is baffling, they leap to ridiculous conclusions or introduce things at random.

In the end, the most important thing the show has going for it, is that they're enjoying doing this and then they introduce a character that changes everything.

So this is progay fans hating on a straight woman for being straight? Article didn't make that clear.

The things some lunatics get worked up over. News flash: Watson marries in the books, so why can't he in the show? If they're complaining that Abbington doesn't quite match the book's description, then they apparently missed the memo that it's supposed to be a modern reinterpretation. Things are bound to get shaken up when it comes to the details.

roseofbattle:
For much of the series, the show jokes that John is gay and has feelings for Sherlock.

To be honest, I'd probably have a bigger problem with this if I watched the show (even if it is a joke). Conan Doyle never intended Sherlock and Watson to be gay. It's the same problem I have with people thinking Frodo and Sam are gay. They're using contemporary assumptions to misinterpret the original context of the story.

*Aware of the potential hypocrisy of the previous statement after talking about modern reinterpretations*

Neverhoodian:
The things some lunatics get worked up over. News flash: Watson marries in the books, so why can't he in the show? If they're complaining that Abbington doesn't quite match the book's description, then they apparently missed the memo that it's supposed to be a modern reinterpretation. Things are bound to get shaken up when it comes to the details.

roseofbattle:
For much of the series, the show jokes that John is gay and has feelings for Sherlock.

To be honest, I'd probably have a bigger problem with this if I watched the show (even if it is a joke). Conan Doyle never intended Sherlock and Watson to be gay. It's the same problem I have with people thinking Frodo and Sam are gay. They're using contemporary assumptions to misinterpret the original context of the story.

*Aware of the potential hypocrisy of the previous statement after talking about modern reinterpretations*

And now I have nothing to add to this conversation. Great.

Honestly, I never watched the show much to begin with. The books were never all that great either, honestly. They keep talking about Sherlock as the great deductive thinker, but nothing he does is actual deductive logic. It's more often inductive logic than anything. And in most of the interpretations, it's just him knowing things he has no way of knowing or being able to accurately predict, which is fucking lazy writing.

But death threats . . . People, come the fuck on! Grow up.

synobal:
How is this a story? there are people who send death threats for the sake of sending death threats. It is like saying "oh someone said something mean on the internet".

Got to agree here, I've had death and rape threats for making a YouTube video in which Pikachu dies, it sucks but this is hardly news, death threats are common currency on the Internet. I personally find them hilarious to read, though I understand not everyone feels the same.

Ukomba:
So this is progay fans hating on a straight woman for being straight? Article didn't make that clear.

Unlikely. Since the show is mostly about their friendship(which anyone who has a best friend knows goes beyond a romantic relationship), the new character is sort of a third wheel or a semi-replacement for Mrs. Hudson and that annoys people.

I have a message to all of the people of the internet who think it's somehow a good idea to behave this way towards actors.

GROW UP.

You're the absolute worst kind of fans ever and all your favorite celebrities hate you for it. Good day.

(Note to Mods: I'm not flaming, just venting generally.)

"These people aren't fans of the show, they're fans of the show going on in theirs heads". Best way Ive heard to describe any overly attached fandom.

I love these stories that just show how retarded and pathetic some people can be.

Able Seacat:
Trying to understand the thought process of someone sending these death threats just boggles my mind.

Don't... Just don't.

roseofbattle:
Sherlock and John were never going to be interested in each other romantically or sexually.

Indeed, it's Sherlock/Moriarity from now on!

It's a bit strange really, you'd think they'd wait to see if she dies first. Why hate a character that you haven't even seen yet?

Okay.. serious is this the new requirement for famous people? Receiving death threads?

Or is it just that back in the day when the death threads where delivered by the post they where just thrown away and burned by the managment since fanletters are never read by the stars themselves?

I really have a hard time believing that this is an entirely new thing... just that today its made much much easier due to social media.

That linked interview is hilarious. Ian McKellen sounds like such a wheeze! Go read it if you haven't and bollocks to your irrational fear of following external links.

I was more concerned about the fact that a publicly funded body, with a mandate to be impartial launched a barely concealed attack on its main rival/enemy. But hey, slash-fic is more important than legally forcing people to fund thinly veiled left-wing propaganda.

I am really starting to doubt the validity of these sorts of things.

It's either completely fake, or it's grossly exaggerated.

I won't believe it until I see proof this has happened and proof that it were serious death threats.

Smilomaniac:

Ukomba:

Unlikely. Since the show is mostly about their friendship(which anyone who has a best friend knows goes beyond a romantic relationship), the new character is sort of a third wheel or a semi-replacement for Mrs. Hudson and that annoys people.

best friends go beyond a romantic relationship? I'm not sure I understand what you mean, or you haven't had much luck in love.

Anyways, the article seems to equate this anger with the disruption of some fans homosexual head cannon.

WashAran:
Damn gaming Tumblr community! Dont they know what puts another bad light on us?

Fixed

Any large group will have fringe crazies that reflect poorly on the whole. What matters is how the rest of the community treats them.

Daniel Park:
The ridiculous thing is that she's actually really dynamite in the role. I thought she'd be a third wheel, but turns out I'm really liking her character.

Aye, writing as usual with Sherlock is stellar, but it's also very easy to see why she's Freeman's partner - they just fit together perfectly.

And that said: it'd just be too easy if they actually declared them gay. It's much more fun if the tension between them remains essentially unexplained.

Ok, the JohnLock fanatics need to fuck off for good. Your stupid ship isn't going to happen, so stop harassing the cast and crew of the show just because your tumblr page says sherlock and watson should start fucking. Keep your shipping in fanfics where they belong.
sorry, i can't stand those who believe their ships should be canon and start leaking their insanity into the real world.

This reminds me of when some deranged Harry Potter fans petitioned J.K. Rowling to stop writing her own novels because the official romantic pairings weren't to their liking.

Idiots.

JarinArenos:

WashAran:
Damn gaming Tumblr community! Dont they know what puts another bad light on us?

Fixed

Any large group will have fringe crazies that reflect poorly on the whole. What matters is how the rest of the community treats them.

Tumblr. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

We must be cautious, lest we be buried neck deep in spinsters who collect cats and men who wear fedoras.

Why even take these people seriously?
A huge problem with the internet and comments is that everyone is there and some people insist on treating all comments equally. Commentators can be children, teens, intoxicated, angry, mad or otherwise out of their normal state of mind when writing and you insist on treating them all the same.
You wouldn't give equal importance to the words of a screaming hobo(no offense to homeless people, I am talking about a very particular kind of person not everyone) and a university professor in real life, why do you insist on doing so on the internet?

Ukomba:

no, this is shippers hating on an actress because the character she plays is with a straight character who they want to be gay for sherlock who is also straight

in other words, shippers being crazy as usual.

In all fairness, Sherlock and Watson belong together.

Able Seacat:

Of course, given how broad the term death threat has become, I wouldn't be surprised if the "threat" consisted of "omg, i wish this bitch would die, Watlock/Sherson/Hotson (whatever these kids are calling the pair) 4eva" by sonixbabe1999 on Deviantart.

Captcha: "what should we call me?"
My answer: "fuck you and your emerging AI jokes"
Captcha error.

Edit: see look, according to the sensibilities of society these days, I totally just threatened captcha with rape. Ain't I a monster?

Let's be honest, it was bound to happen no matter who played Mary.
Though I'm surprised my girlfriend, an ardent shipper of Holmes and Watson, actually likes her.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here