Valve Launches SteamVR Beta for Oculus Rift Before Steam Dev Days

Valve Launches SteamVR Beta for Oculus Rift Before Steam Dev Days

Oculus Rift

Valve starts fiddling with its experiments in virtual reality for Steam.

Valve is in the middle of experimenting with virtual reality technology, using the Oculus Rift headset. With talks on virtual reality at this year's Steam Dev Days Jan. 15-16, Valve has released a beta version of SteamVR one day before the annual conference kicks off.

Valve programmer Joe Ludwig posted the announcement in the Steam forums: "As of the most recent Steam Client Beta, Steam now supports an experimental VR mode," Ludwig wrote. "If you own an Oculus Rift dev kit, you can try it out by starting Steam with "-vr" on the command line. Then press the Big Picture button to enter Big Picture + VR mode."

Ludwig notes that when running Steam VR for the first time, users may have to run the Steam desktop client without the -vr option, find "SteamVR" under "Tools" in the library, look up properties on SteamVR, opt into the "Beta Update," let it download, and then restart the Steam client with -vr.

A bug preventing SteamVR working for the first time has since been fixed. However, there are still some difficulties for Oculus Rift users. For those having trouble, set Steam to start in Big Picture mode, create a shortcut to Steam and add -vr to the launch options, set Oculus Rift as an extended monitor (the secondary), and start Steam using the modified shortcut.

Valve will reveal its prototype VR hardware at Steam Dev Days for what the company believes represents "what affordable VR hardware will be capable of within a couple of years." Valve will continue to implement virtual reality for Steam.

Source: Steam via Road to VR

The speed with which Oculus is conquering everything, is simply amazing.

Some 3D and similar technologies are harmed by only being able to convince those who see it personally at a presentation, but it looks like the Rift has overcome this problem by being good enough to turn everyone who experiences it in person into a zealous believer willing to unconditionally pave it's way.

Once this and the Omni are fully released and more games are compatible with it...

... I'm going to need a bigger living room. And money.

Before you know it, Oculus will be as synonymous a word as Google.

"What direction is the Statue of Liberty if you're leaving the front entrance?"

"One sec, let me Oculus that on Google Maps."

*INSERT VIRTUAL REALITY FIRST PERSON MAP MANIPULATION HERE*

I really wanna see how VR Big Picture looks; in the past, it's been rather flat, so I'm curious how they've made it workable in VR. I'll be keeping an eye on youtube today to try and find a video; hopefully someone uploads one.

P.S. Thanks

roseofbattle:
Valve will reveal its prototype VR hardware...

"If you own an Oculus Rift dev kit, you can try it out

And this is why Valve continues to be one of the best companies around. "We're making our own stuff, but if you want to use our competitor's product instead go right ahead." While most big tech companies are engaged in decades long global court battles with each other, Valve gives their competitors active support.

Kahani:

roseofbattle:

And this is why Valve continues to be one of the best companies around. "We're making our own stuff, but if you want to use our competitor's product instead go right ahead." While most big tech companies are engaged in decades long global court battles with each other, Valve gives their competitors active support.

Ehhh I stopped caring about the occulus rift when I heard who they hired to be in charge of its marketing, the guy that got fired from EA for running the company into the ground...

I do love valve but in my eyes that was one of the dumbest things that could be done, especially with the crap that hes been saying about his plans for the occulus rift

thewatergamer:

Kahani:

roseofbattle:

Ehhh I stopped caring about the occulus rift when I heard who they hired to be in charge of its marketing, the guy that got fired from EA for running the company into the ground...

I do love valve but in my eyes that was one of the dumbest things that could be done, especially with the crap that hes been saying about his plans for the occulus rift

maybe the guy cried really really hard during the interview and they felt sorry for him. i dunno just a hunch

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here