Namco Releases Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Namco Releases Dark Souls II "Cursed" Trailer

Dark Souls II's new trailer gives us a sneak peek at the new monsters haunting Drangleic.

Namco Bandai has released the latest trailer for From Software's action-RPG, Dark Souls II. The three-minute clip gives us a sneak peek at the new mysteries and monstrosities players will face in the kingdom of Drangleic. Fortunately for series fans, the enemies shown seem to be every bit as brutal as the ones in the first game -- a fact not lost on the publisher, as it even states, "a cure to the Curse awaits to be found and countless deaths awaits to be endured."

Revealed in December 2012, the sequel will reportedly not have any direct connection to the first game according to Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki. Now, if that puts you off somewhat, the good thing is, Dark Souls II won't be a launch pad for micro-transactions since the sequel's director, Takeshi Miyazoe, wants players to experience "a full game."

In other franchise news, a Dark Souls Cafe has opened its doors in Tokyo. which even has staff garbed in Dark Souls attire. Also, don't forget that we have a Dark Souls quiz you can take to see how much you really know about the game.

Dark Souls II will crush souls and infuriate players once more when its released in March 11 for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.

They seem to have increased the brightness for this trailer. Looks pretty weird.

But at least we can get a good look at all the awesome bosses.

Does anyone know if in this sequel it actually has a 'proper' multiplayer mode? As in, can I play the game from start to finish with a friend of mine online?

If not I'll think I give it a miss. I quite liked the first one but most of the 'charm' that people felt for the first one I just thought were frustrating mechanics. Oh well. I guess I'll just wait for reviews and go from there ^.^

Rhythm:
Does anyone know if in this sequel it actually has a 'proper' multiplayer mode? As in, can I play the game from start to finish with a friend of mine online?

From what ive seen of the beta, it doesnt.

I am so ready for this game. The more I hear about it, the better it sounds.

Rhythm:

Unfortunately, from what I've heard so far, this won't be the case. In Dark Souls co-op was intended to be a supplementary mechanic to help people struggling with bosses/invaders - haven't seen anything to suggest this philosophy has changed. Annoying as hell in a sense, tried playing with a friend but it was just too awkward to set up, but a creative decision on From's behalf nevertheless.

However, From has apparently reworked the way players connect to one-another (hopefully reducing time until summoning signs appear) and made it so players can invade you whilst you're hollow. Applying the same logic, you may be able to summon friends whilst hollow, hopefully making it an easier process.

Rhythm:

If not I'll think I give it a miss. I quite liked the first one but most of the 'charm' that people felt for the first one I just thought were frustrating mechanics. Oh well. I guess I'll just wait for reviews and go from there ^.^

Most definitely cannot, in fact, it is going to be even more difficult to try and co-op limp through the game. Summons will be on a timer, and each time the summoned player kills an enemy for you, a chunk of the timer is taken away.

Another note

*rocks back and forth* 2 more months... 2 more months... giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive it

WWmelb:

Most definitely cannot, in fact, it is going to be even more difficult to try and co-op limp through the game. Summons will be on a timer, and each time the summoned player kills an enemy for you, a chunk of the timer is taken away.

Another note

*rocks back and forth* 2 more months... 2 more months... giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive it

Urrrrgh. Well that sucks! (for me personally anyway)

Think I'll be giving this a miss then, shame as I somewhat enjoyed the first one and had hoped they had sorted out some of the things I didn't like but looking at it they've made it even more unenjoyable for me. Getting attacked whilst human was annoying, getting attacked whilst human AND hollow....no sale!

Many thanks for the replies though ^.^

If people can invade even while hallow now, this game is going to turn into a convoluted nightmare of black phantoms.

Anyone else notice that this is rated Teen? I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news for the game...

In Dark Souls they took away the health penalty for death. If they allow you to summon while dead then I'm not sure what the advantage of being alive is.
I love Souls games, but I prefer to do things without summoning so I may just play this offline (like I did with Demon's Souls, but that was to game the World Tendency mechanic).

In Dark Souls they took away the health penalty for death. If they allow you to summon while dead then I'm not sure what the advantage of being alive is.
I love Souls games, but I prefer to do things without summoning so I may just play this offline (like I did with Demon's Souls, but that was to game the World Tendency mechanic).

Sorry for double post.

Colt47:
If people can invade even while hallow now, this game is going to turn into a convoluted nightmare of black phantoms.

From what I've seen From software seems to have taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen,enemy invaders are also on a time limit and I don't think the time limit before you can be invaded again has gone anywhere (in fact if anything its been extended) so it won't be a constant stream of enemy invasions, there's now also a covenant that auto summons a phantom to assist you when you get invaded.

Branindain:

Sorry for double post.

From what I've heard every death while hollow drops your health by 10%, down to 50%, until you become human again. So there is an offline benefit to being human.
I'm not sure about hollow invasions myself, since I have absolutely no PVP experience from the first game, what with GFWL throwing a wobbly and refusing to let me play online. I may end up disconnecting and relying on npc summons for bosses.

LOL, oh man the first bit was great, that intro really gets your blood pumping but then the graphics change to shit and it looses all dramatic tension.

I hope this game turns out better then its trailer.

Valderis:
LOL, oh man the first bit was great, that intro really gets your blood pumping but then the graphics change to shit and it looses all dramatic tension.

I hope this game turns out better then its trailer.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that noticed the graphics. However, I'm thinking many of those scenes were unfinished. I say that because, the game play parts were mixed up with good looking scenes and bad looking ones.

Church185:
Anyone else notice that this is rated Teen? I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news for the game...

DKS and DS aren't really that mature. It's a far cry from say, Mortal Kombat or other gory games. You can't really chop limbs off unless I'm forgetting something. I bet the only reason DKS got an M rating was because of Quelag's boobies and perhaps the piles of bodies everywhere in New Londo, but even then I'm not so sure.

I don't think anything will be different, as I saw that big thing that appeared to made up of several bodies. Creepy...

I'm not too worried, and I don't think the stuff that makes a Souls game is confined to a mature rating anyway.

OT: March can't come soon enough. Drangleic looks super cool.

Church185:

I don't see why that matters, honestly both of its predecessors probably could have been rated teen, the series has a more muted approach to violence and blood/gore as compared to a lot of games, there isn't any swearing, and very little in the way of sexual content (I guess partial nudity from your ability to undress your character, and maybe Quelagg's bare torso, but even thats kind of stretching it). So in my opinion at least I doubt a lower rating would correspond to a decrease in content or altering of tone in the game.

Ishal:
DKS and DS aren't really that mature. It's a far cry from say, Mortal Kombat or other gory games. You can't really chop limbs off unless I'm forgetting something. I bet the only reason DKS got an M rating was because of Quelag's boobies and perhaps the piles of bodies everywhere in New Londo, but even then I'm not so sure.

I don't think anything will be different, as I saw that big thing that appeared to made up of several bodies. Creepy...

I'm not too worried, and I don't think the stuff that makes a Souls game is confined to a mature rating anyway.

OT: March can't come soon enough. Drangleic looks super cool.

I'm not TOO worried, but it is an interesting change to note. Just a little nervous now that Miyazaki isn't at the helm.

Nothing is going to ruin my excitement for this game... but this trailer is pure junk. What is with all the strange character angles? It's the first trailer for this game that I have seen that actually makes the graphics look worse than I presume they are.

IFS:
I don't see why that matters, honestly both of its predecessors probably could have been rated teen, the series has a more muted approach to violence and blood/gore as compared to a lot of games, there isn't any swearing, and very little in the way of sexual content (I guess partial nudity from your ability to undress your character, and maybe Quelagg's bare torso, but even thats kind of stretching it). So in my opinion at least I doubt a lower rating would correspond to a decrease in content or altering of tone in the game.

Why are visuals all that matter when it comes to rating? It should be noted that according to the ESRB this game will feature partial nudity as well, but still manages a Teen rating.

Dark Souls may not have been the goriest or the most sexually charged game, but it was certainly a mature title. More mature in my mind than titles who use gore and sex in excess. So many mature, thoughtful subjects are touched on in this game. Grief, loss, insanity, torture and those are just a few. Because of that, I'm afraid that Dark Souls 2 will leave out all of the interesting minor characters and lore to give us something less. I don't want this series becoming Ninja Gaiden, where you play for the challenge and nothing more.

I'm a huge fan of this series so far. I just hope that they aren't just trying to put out what they think people want to garner more sales. They can do what they like with their IP, but it will certainly make a lot of Souls fans sad.

Ishal:
snip

Quoted you so that you would see this response too.

Valderis:
snip

Itchi_da_killa:
snip

Baresark:
snip

Why are so many people obsessing about graphics? The first game wasn't exactly a looker, but it is still regarded as a great game for it's atmosphere and gameplay. From Software is not a big developer with a large budget, so far they have been making the best games they can without breaking the bank and so far they have been successful. Big publishers could learn a thing or two from them.

Church185:
snip

I get what you're saying, but I don't think there is anything to worry about. I get the fear about the big M (Miyazaki) not at the helm. But he was involved, he supervised it and acted as a guide during development. I think he took a big role from how certain things appear in the game.

From what I've read, I think that the first half of the game will be more simplistic in its approach to doling out lore, "quests" such as ringing the two bells in DKS, and item/covenant descriptions. After newer players get their feet wet, then it gets into the nitty gritty. I'm not too displeased with that, to be honest. Lots of things could have been explained much better in DS and DKS. In Demon's Souls it was almost impossible to discern world tendency without the use of a wiki. That's what they seek to change in the early parts of the game, that's what I took away from listening to the developers and reading articles. The core of the Souls experience and the lore are all still going to be there. Tanimura has stated that, and from what came out of the beta I believe him. The difficulty was changed during the beta and people were dropping like flies due to increased damage from enemies. I think that aspect will be okay as well.

As for characters, I anticipate we'll be seeing Patches again, and there are references to DKS characters in the item descriptions and such.

Most of those themes, the insanity, loss, grief, hollowing, torture, all those things tend to fly under the radar as far as the ESRB goes. They aren't really concerned with that, but rather the more overt things. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ishal:
Most of those themes, the insanity, loss, grief, hollowing, torture, all those things tend to fly under the radar as far as the ESRB goes. They aren't really concerned with that, but rather the more overt things. We'll just have to wait and see.

Blah, waiting and seeing is going to kill me. March can't come soon enough.

Do you understand my point though? Your original response to me said that the Souls series wasn't that mature, but then you compared it to the visuals of Mortal Kombat. I would argue that DS and DkS are far more mature in the way they handle their subject matter, without having to result to over the top gore. I think you get my point, but I just wanted to make sure.

VaatiVidya has a bunch of great examples.

Sordin:

Colt47:

From what I've seen From software seems to have taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen,enemy invaders are also on a time limit and I don't think the time limit before you can be invaded again has gone anywhere (in fact if anything its been extended) so it won't be a constant stream of enemy invasions, there's now also a covenant that auto summons a phantom to assist you when you get invaded.

Now I'm getting images of some poor player wandering along a precarious ledge, and suddenly a heavenly light sucks them into another persons world to counter a black phantom. Yes it probably doesn't work like that, but it would be hilarious.

Church185:

Ishal:

Blah, waiting and seeing is going to kill me. March can't come soon enough.

Do you understand my point though? Your original response to me said that the Souls series wasn't that mature, but then you compared it to the visuals of Mortal Kombat. I would argue that DS and DkS are far more mature in the way they handle their subject matter, without having to result to over the top gore. I think you get my point, but I just wanted to make sure.

VaatiVidya has a bunch of great examples.

I getcha. :)

I agree that the things in DKS are mature, and I'm familiar with Vaati's content. He presents it well. My point is simply that the ESRB mainly wants to placate moms who take a quick glance at the cover and back cover their son or daughter puts in their face at Walmart. I can't see the ESRB talking about the existential struggle of insanity and hollowing, where the only way to stave it off is the hoard/consume the souls of others. Does that make sense?

When I said mature, I meant in the way mature games are labeled by the ESRB, and a game like DKS is likely going to be on the intense gore/sexual themes side of things. I think. It's subtle and mute in the way it presents things. If you watch Vaati's content, you've seen his Nito video? The ending has a quote from Tanimura. "The first game's focus was humanity, this one is about the curse."

I think all our stuff will be there, as the curse of the undead is really, really nasty. Not to mention the dialogue from one of the NPC's who appeared near the end of the beta, Tiny Gren. His dialogue is... violent... and creepy.

Church185:

IFS:

Why are visuals all that matter when it comes to rating? It should be noted that according to the ESRB this game will feature partial nudity as well, but still manages a Teen rating.

Dark Souls may not have been the goriest or the most sexually charged game, but it was certainly a mature title. More mature in my mind than titles who use gore and sex in excess. So many mature, thoughtful subjects are touched on in this game. Grief, loss, insanity, torture and those are just a few. Because of that, I'm afraid that Dark Souls 2 will leave out all of the interesting minor characters and lore to give us something less. I don't want this series becoming Ninja Gaiden, where you play for the challenge and nothing more.

I'm a huge fan of this series so far. I just hope that they aren't just trying to put out what they think people want to garner more sales. They can do what they like with their IP, but it will certainly make a lot of Souls fans sad.

Ishal:
snip

Quoted you so that you would see this response too.

The reason I only talk about visuals and such is because thats what games are awarded ratings on, not because those actually constitute a 'mature' game. The rating systems always been broken in this way, and a game is perfectly able to have mature themes without being rated for 'mature' audiences.

I have to say, as excited as I am for the game, I really hope that the released in-game graphics are higher res and cleaner than those in the trailer. They really look like a step backwards compared to Dark Souls 1, and maybe not even on-part with Demon's Souls. I do realize that the game is not finished and graphics tend to get cleaned up last... and also that gameplay graphics in trailers, when not touched up, tend to look lower-res... but still, they looked almost bad.

Well, at least they are not pulling a Colonial Marines and releasing "game footage," that was redone as a pre-render.

Ishal:
I getcha. :)

I agree that the things in DKS are mature, and I'm familiar with Vaati's content. He presents it well. My point is simply that the ESRB mainly wants to placate moms who take a quick glance at the cover and back cover their son or daughter puts in their face at Walmart. I can't see the ESRB talking about the existential struggle of insanity and hollowing, where the only way to stave it off is the hoard/consume the souls of others. Does that make sense?

Tons actually. I enjoyed DS and DkS so much that I'm terrified that this one won't live up to that. Looking for reasons to doubt the game allows me space to be impressed once I actually get the thing in my hands. I'm hoping I don't ruin the game for myself with my own hype.

I think all our stuff will be there, as the curse of the undead is really, really nasty. Not to mention the dialogue from one of the NPC's who appeared near the end of the beta, Tiny Gren. His dialogue is... violent... and creepy.

Church185:

Why are so many people obsessing about graphics? The first game wasn't exactly a looker, but it is still regarded as a great game for it's atmosphere and gameplay. From Software is not a big developer with a large budget, so far they have been making the best games they can without breaking the bank and so far they have been successful. Big publishers could learn a thing or two from them.

I'm not obsessed with graphics (I enjoy minecraft and dwarf fortress for fuck's sake).

I'm just noting the stark difference between the intro and the gameplay and the disconnect this creates in this trailer.

Which is a shame for it looked so good it made me remember feelings I once got from the intro from Diablo 2. (which is a intro so damn good it still hold up today)

But its also hilarious that it fails like that.

Not that any of this says anything about the game itself, it could be good wither it has good or bad graphics, but the trailer for it is just not that good.

Church185:

Valderis:
snip

Itchi_da_killa:
snip

Baresark:
snip

I was actually critiquing the trailer, not the game. The fact is, the Souls games are actually pretty good looking games. They aren't great looking, by any stretch, but the worlds are packed with details, the armor sets are downright amazing (IMO), and the character models have a lot of details and articulation. The trailer basically negates all of that. It's constantly zoomed in on the character from strange angles, shows little to nothing of the world and is over very poorly made (IMO). I don't think anyone who has invested well over a thousand hours into the both the previous Souls game can possibly be obsessed with graphics.

I'll give this game a shot. I don't know why. The first Dark Souls beat the snot out of me and I got so sick of it, hit a wall so hard that my body broke, that I gave up and traded the game while barely making it halfway through the story. But man, they do a good job of making this game look fun and interesting.
Can well please have a better tutorial this time? Pretty please? That was a huge part of my troubles in the first game. I couldn't figure a lot of the stuff out because I didn't know what to do or how to do it. And if not that, then at least include a basic instruction guide.

Baresark:
I was actually critiquing the trailer, not the game. The fact is, the Souls games are actually pretty good looking games. They aren't great looking, by any stretch, but the worlds are packed with details, the armor sets are downright amazing (IMO), and the character models have a lot of details and articulation. The trailer basically negates all of that. It's constantly zoomed in on the character from strange angles, shows little to nothing of the world and is over very poorly made (IMO). I don't think anyone who has invested well over a thousand hours into the both the previous Souls game can possibly be obsessed with graphics.

Then I apologize. Of the three people I quoted your post definitely seemed more concerned with the trailer quality, but you still said something in the end about bad graphics so I snatched you up as well. IMHO the character models are stunning, and the armor sets are awesome. The worlds are sometimes lacking in detail, but I can forgive From Software because they have such a tiny budget compared to other AAA games.

I do kind of hate that they are spending tons of money on prerendered cinematics that probably won't show up in the game. It feels like the beginning of big budget marketing bloat. /sigh

Here's hoping they make it so stats can only be so high for a soul level because the editing in Dark Souls on PC makes invading and being invaded an utter pain.

Souls marketing always seems lazy to me. It never feels like they are trying to build hype or establish quality, just going "Your gonna DIE! Lots! And the controller sprouts razor blades! because accessibility is for casul filth!". As for the game itself: meh. I enjoyed Dark Souls quite a bit, but everything about DKS2 screams "cheap difficulty". With a return of the moronic health loss on death, buffs to enemies, constant invasions that will be 90% hackers/twinks/trolls within a few months and backstabs, rolls, and parries being nerfed to near worthlessness I can't say I'm excited.

so, is that PC release date confirmed? I;ve not found anything

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or