U4iA Studio That Aimed To Dethrone Call of Duty Shuts Down

U4iA Studio That Aimed To Dethrone Call of Duty Shuts Down

U4iA sends its sincere apologies to all its fans.

"I created Call Of Duty to dethrone the established leaders back in the early 2000s, and you bet my goal at U4iA is to repeat that success again," said U4iA founder and ex-Activision developer Dusty Welch back in 2011. But times change, and U4iA has announced it'll be shutting down, effective immediately. Its browser, mobile and tablet title, Offensive Combat, is no more.

"It is with a heavy heart that we write this, but tomorrow, January 15, 2014, will be the last day of operations for U4iA Games," says U4iA in a blog post. "Our sincere apologies to all of our fantastic, supportive fans over these last few years - we wish we could have done better for you. Thank you very much for your support and we hope to see you again on the other side."

It's a very sudden end for U4iA. Offensive Combat was still in beta, and until a few hours ago the studio's Twitter feed was still handing out beginner's tips and pointing people to its Facebook page. It wasn't that long ago that U4iA was posting jobs listings, seeking engineers to join its Washington office.

Former head of communications Jeremy Dunham describes the process as happening "in the blink of an eye," and it doesn't sound as though the studio's people had any inkling that there was a problem. U4iA's 26 employees will now be looking for work; here's hoping they land on their feet, sooner rather than later.

Source: VG24/7

Never heard of this game before now, but gotta say, even though the graphics are a bit dodgy, it probably had some merit to it.

Kinda looks like a mix between Team Fortress 2, Brink, Borderlands 2, Serious Sam and the humor of Bulletstorm.

Forget all about that merit thing, this was doomed to fail.

But i do wonder, if it really was so sudden and not bankruptcy they saw coming 5 years ago, what caused it. CnD from another company maybe?

Longstreet:

But i do wonder, if it really was so sudden and not bankruptcy they saw coming 5 years ago, what caused it. CnD from another company maybe?

I worked for a media-tech start-up that folded after about four years in business. The end can come very suddenly if the senior management folks believe that causes the least pain. I think often times they trick themselves into thinking, "I can make this work for one more quarter/month", until the reality catches up to them. Keeping your cards close to your chest and continuously giving off a positive vibe despite all hardships is part of the motivational strategy and is supposed to help the start-up survive. It's a well-intentioned strategy, really.

I got cut about six months before the boat finally sank. I was lucky enough to get two weeks' pay in severance, whereas my colleagues who stayed through to the end got to take their crappy LCD screens with them on the way out.

That's what you get when you try to fuck with the big man.

Stop -saying- you want to dethrone the big names (CoD, WoW, whatever) and make something that's actually better than the competition.

This is the corporate equivalent of a poodle yapping away at the overgrown sheepdog 10x its own size.

I know there's a Kill-streak joke about this news somewhere, but I just can't place it damnit!

I actually remember seeing this exact trailer ages ago and while I personally I couldn't stand it's "humour", I don't greet this closure with vindicated glee that a potential rival to COD is dead.

Can we start the countdown to their imminent Kickstarter campaign?

After watching that trailer, I'm not surprised.

Hell, it's not even offensive, it's just pathetically juvenile, and entirely superfluous when Postal did it harder and better. Additionally, if the biggest draw your FPS has is fart jokes, and Family Guy-esque scattershot silliness, you might want to rethink your design docs.

Longstreet:
and the humor of Bulletstorm.

That part may have been the key issue. I saw the 'wackiness' from the trailer... what two years ago? and tuned out, assuming this game would go nowhere.

MCerberus:

Longstreet:
and the humor of Bulletstorm.

That part may have been the key issue. I saw the 'wackiness' from the trailer... what two years ago? and tuned out, assuming this game would go nowhere.

Not necessarily. I quite liked bulletstorm, and found it rather refreshing from all the other brownmetalgrey shooters out there. This however just feels forced. That part where he farts on the guy he just for instance, they are basically advocating that as a key feature, and try to cram it down your throats. Instead of it just being a teabag replacement that can make you break a small smile.

How could anyone reasonably think a browser/mobile/tablet title would dethrone one of the biggest retail releases?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here