Disney Abandons Star Wars 1313 Trademark

Disney Abandons Star Wars 1313 Trademark

Disney has chosen not to renew the Star Wars 1313 trademark. All hope is lost.

Even after Disney laid off the entire staff at LucasArts, many gamers thought that Star Wars 1313 would survive the transition. After all, the game was supposedly deep into development, and completing an unfinished title is typically more cost effective than starting over. However, when Electronic Arts took over the Star Wars franchise, the chances of Star Wars 1313 being resurrected practically disintegrated. And just before Christmas, Disney failed to renew the title's trademark, which officially asphyxiates any remaining hope.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office currently classifies Star Wars 1313 as "Abandoned because no Statement of Use or Extension Request timely filed after Notice of Allowance was issued."

Obviously, Disney and EA could revive the trademark, but the fact that they let it expire proves that the game isn't on the radar. Last June, EA teased a brand new Battlefront sequel, which is scheduled to hit the market in 2015, and the publisher is already handling Star Wars: The Old Republic. So, it's probably safe to assume that EA isn't going to throw 1313 back into the mix.

After Star Wars 1313 was canceled, details about the game slowly started leaking out of Disney's bunker. In September, the folks at IGN got their hands on a 15-minute demo that had been prepared for E3 before Disney shelved the project. Surprisingly, the demo revolved around everyone's favorite bounty hunter: Boba Fett.

The fact that Fett would have been the star of 1313 makes its cancelation even more painful. Hopefully EA's Battlefront sequel will fill the void when it's finally released. Though, if Battlefield 4 has taught us anything, it's that EA knows how to turn a brilliant game into a gigantic train wreck.

Source: United States Patent and Trademark Office

Ah well, knowing LucasArts by their more recent works they probably would have botched it somehow.

Josh Engen:
Though, if Battlefield 4 has taught us anything, it's that EA knows how to turn a brilliant game into a gigantic train wreck.

Fixed.

The linked IGN article stated that they couldn't show us the actual 15 minutes of gameplay "YET". Now that the trademark has expired you think that footage will appear on the internet? One can hope, if only to make us more disappointed.

It took Battlefield 4 to teach you about that? They started earlier than that. Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were also clues, plus Simcity patch 10.

It makes me sad hearing this because I'm a huge Mandalorian/Fett fan and knowing Disney's decision to not continue 1313 means that it's trashed in a place where no one else can pick up the idea because Disney now owns all of Star Wars and gave the rights to EA, so who's ever going to want to restore that concept when Disney and EA have the power?.

Shadow-Phoenix:
It makes me sad hearing this because I'm a huge Mandalorian/Fett fan and knowing Disney's decision to not continue 1313 means that it's trashed in a place where no one else can pick up the idea because Disney now owns all of Star Wars and gave the rights to EA, so who's ever going to want to restore that concept when Disney and EA have the power?.

Agreed. This whole thing just makes me depressed. If EA did this one, you can bet your ass they'd mystically find some way to botch it as they've done to so many other acquired franchises. Disney probably would've wanted it to be TOO kid-friendly, as opposed to the mature cyberpunk-noir tone that they seem to have been going for.

Disney has no interest in making a game about the most incompetent bounty hunter, who had to be reminded by Darth Vader himself that "I want them alive" means "no desintegrators"? Oh well, what a shame. Good guys, Disney.

an annoyed writer:

Shadow-Phoenix:

Agreed. This whole thing just makes me depressed. If EA did this one, you can bet your ass they'd mystically find some way to botch it as they've done to so many other acquired franchises. Disney probably would've wanted it to be TOO kid-friendly, as opposed to the mature cyberpunk-noir tone that they seem to have been going for.

hell, I'm fully expecting Battlefront 3 to have Mickey, Goofy, and Donald as playable characters.

Fuck Disney and EA, Star Wars 1313 would of brought more interest into the series than any movie would, especially now that we know some details about Episode 7.

Oh well, at least SWG Emu is still going, so there is hope.

Yay! Hopefully we get another game that is not based on the same cliched characters from the Star Wars Universe.

"Though, if Battlefield 4 has taught us anything, it's that EA knows how to turn a brilliant game into a gigantic train wreck."

I don't play BF, so I'm kinda out of the loop here. What's going on with BF4? I thought it was pretty successful.

Iwata:
"Though, if Battlefield 4 has taught us anything, it's that EA knows how to turn a brilliant game into a gigantic train wreck."

I don't play BF, so I'm kinda out of the loop here. What's going on with BF4? I thought it was pretty successful.

It sold a lot but has lot's of crash's and server issue's.

I really had my hopes up for this one...

The latest Gameinformer has a huge article on the fall of Lucasarts, including a lot of the details of 1313. After reading the article... it's dead Jim, and it was probably far more screwed up than we realized when it died. Particularly damning, apparently the developers of the game didn't find out that the game was suddenly going to be about Boba Fett, until hours before the games formal public announcement... after it had been in development for ages.

I would have been interested in this, but more for an art/curious thing than as a game. This game was supposed to be rated M, yes? I wanted to see how they would do that. I didn't want them to start throwing a bunch of profanity into the game (Star Wars has, or had, its own unique swearing) or turn the violence and sex up to level just for the sake of making it an M rated game. I wanted to see if they could make it M-rated without falling into those pitfalls. Yes, they could have the violence and the sexual themes, but more along the lines of something like The Last of Us, where the violence didn't feel like entertainment but part of life. Watching Boba Fett, or whoever, running through legions of enemies and slicing heads off again and again while laughing in the blood shower would have been a real let down. Watching Boba Fett torture someone for information, snapping the guy's neck, and then setting off a bomb or shooting his target in the head after getting what he needs, that would have been doable.

faefrost:
The latest Gameinformer has a huge article on the fall of Lucasarts, including a lot of the details of 1313. After reading the article... it's dead Jim, and it was probably far more screwed up than we realized when it died. Particularly damning, apparently the developers of the game didn't find out that the game was suddenly going to be about Boba Fett, until hours before the games formal public announcement... after it had been in development for ages.

Yeah, I have heard similar stories after it was cancelled as well, so it really makes you think if EA/Disney took a look at it and realized they would have had to dump everything that was created so far and start from scratch and then you risk a Duke Nukem Forever situation. Maybe it was best for us to remember what it could have been then had a major disappointment released.

Sniper Team 4:
snip

Aye, I was hoping for a gritty game set in the Star Wars universe. Playing as a bounty hunter in the seedy Coruscant underground had so much potential. It could have been what the Prey 2 trailer looked like. Too bad this thing is done for.

And so we return to Republic Commando being the only explicitly violent Star Wars game in existence.

This is really sad news. I was looking forward to this game. Bounty hunters are one of the best parts of SW universe.

Doesn't Disney dropping the trademark mean that anyone else can pick up the project now? Or am I missing something?

Kalezian:

an annoyed writer:

Shadow-Phoenix:

hell, I'm fully expecting Battlefront 3 to have Mickey, Goofy, and Donald as playable characters.

Fuck Disney and EA, Star Wars 1313 would of brought more interest into the series than any movie would, especially now that we know some details about Episode 7.

Oh well, at least SWG Emu is still going, so there is hope.

Where the fuck is this hate coming from?

I'm hardly a lover of Disney or EA, but shouldn't your hostility to reserved for the person to started all of this and could have prevented it, George Lucas?

Disney and EA are just doing what they want with new property, they don't hold it sacred like you do, or how a creator would/should?

Go further and why are you pissed off at anyone doing what they want with their property, period? It's not their fault you got attached to someone else's work that they can sell and change at their whim. While I loath Lucas's later work in the franhise and the EU in general (Not that I hold the franchise in high esteem), this talk of betrayal and how Disney is screwing it up and sickeningly amusing to me.

This is so fucking sad. It's a rare sight to see a game set in the Star Wars universe that doesn't have to hold a lightsaber in it's hand to get a greenlight. Bounty hunters, smugglers, and the criminal underworld are all a core elements of what sets the tone in Star Wars, and yet we've only truly had one game that focuses entirely on the subject, protagonist and all.

I'm almost certain this was dropped for the moment by Disney simply because they probably aren't interested in adding more to the Expanded Universe when they're not even sure exactly what they're going to do for the three new movies. Nor how the EU will be effected by these changes or even whether or not to scrap the whole EU all together.

Everything I heard about this game made me think "Oh, it's GTA IV in space". And personally, I think that is the last thing the industry needs. Do we really need yet another fucking gritty reboot? Why does every damn thing need to be so soaked in angst and tears these days? So, I'm kind of glad this is gone.

Extragorey:
Doesn't Disney dropping the trademark mean that anyone else can pick up the project now? Or am I missing something?

In this case it just means the game is dead; since Disney owns Star Wars and EA the video game rights, they'd have to approve someone working on a project they just killed.

Koios:

Extragorey:

In this case it just means the game is dead; since Disney owns Star Wars and EA the video game rights, they'd have to approve someone working on a project they just killed.

Maybe they can send the game to another developer or maybe they are changing the name and the concept of the game. Hopefully we still get that Boba Fett next gen game.

I'm happy with this. I was skeptical from the very start about it. I don't think the first Star Wars bounty hunter game we get should be a simple Uncharted rip off. The bounty hunters of Star Wars deserve gameplay that will actually let us play as one properly.

oh god, the games was centered around that over hyped twat? Glad the game is dead now. Maybe now we can get a game about a character who isn't only awesome in the EU, which is non cannon in star wars case.

Well screw you too Disney. How about I go and cancel that new...um...Micky...Mouse...thing...

Flammablezeus:
I'm happy with this. I was skeptical from the very start about it. I don't think the first Star Wars bounty hunter game we get should be a simple Uncharted rip off. The bounty hunters of Star Wars deserve gameplay that will actually let us play as one properly.

The first Star Wars bounty hunter game was Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

Lunar Templar:
oh god, the games was centered around that over hyped twat? Glad the game is dead now. Maybe now we can get a game about a character who isn't only awesome in the EU, which is non cannon in star wars case.

Well actually there are multiple levels of canon. There's G (Film/Lucas) canon, T-canon (TV), C-canon (EU books, games, comics, etc.) that don't clash with the continuity, S-canon (anything that does clash, but non-contradictory elements of these are canon) and N, for non-canon.

The EU is so interesting, I'm about halfway though the X-Wing book series, it's absolutely brilliant.

OT: I'm really upset by this, I really wanted a good story driven star wars game that didn't focus on the Jedi. As much as I love the Jedi/Sith there's a lot of potential in Star Wars away from that, and I think this could have been amazing. I hope it gets resurrected.

Extragorey:

They would have to get the rights to starwars off disney despite them giving it to EA and they would have to obtain all the files owned by EA to continue. So no nobody can just steal the project off them and publish their work for profit.

So is this just the name "1313" deleted? Couldnt they just be renaming it something else?

I never got the appeal of Boba Fett. He didn't really do much in the films except get beaten up by the weediest most inept Jedi the galaxy had ever seen and then fall to his doom.

Oh no, now I'll never get to play that Star Wars themed Uncharted game...

This is sad. The whole thing is very sad. It makes it sting even more when I see the seedy underground coruscant concept art.

Knowing Lucas Art, they would have failed the game hard anyway. They haven't done anything good for the past 9 years. The last good thing they did was Starwars Republic Commando. Everything else has kinda been a massive fail after that game.

Each one of their Starwars game got a ton of hype but failed to live up to it. The same thing would happen to this game as well.

Also EA don't have much to do with the coding of BF4 which is actually DICE job. IF you want to whine to someone about all the problems in BF4 you go to DICE. They code that game.
Nice to see the article failing to see the difference between a Publisher and Developer.

Lucas Art company died for a good reason. If it was any good it would still be around.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here