Updated:Nintendo Considering Smartphone Games, Restructuring

Pages PREV 1 2 3

TiberiusEsuriens:

Karloff:
"Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.

With all due respect to him, I think he's wrong. I agree that it isn't 'real innovation,' but NES and SNES titles are so basic (I mean come on, the controllers had like 4 buttons total) that it would be simple enough to squeeze the backlog out real fast. That could be a LARGE revenue stream that they currently lack, giving their budgets actual room to fix the problem long term.

Nintendo is a long term thinking company, but without a short term goal to get them to the long term they'll just sit there floundering for another year or two.

Have you even tried using a touchscreen as a controller? It doesn't work. Whether you are thinking about it or not, you're constantly leaving your fingers touching the buttons on your controller, waiting to press them. You can't do that on a touch screen. If you try to be smart about it and leave your fingers hovering over the device (a feat much easier said than done due to how you still need to hold your device), you will lose track of the position of your thumbs in relation to the on-screen buttons while in the heat of battle.

Now, I do like the Pokemon idea above, because that doesn't require timing or skill. You just navigate menus, which is what touchscreens are best at.

Dragonbums:

Simalacrum:
Activision and EA to bring more titles to your console.

Activision? I can see.

EA?...eeeeyeeaaano. EA has outright lied about the Wii U, took a big shit on it, embarrassed themselves during the Xbox One fiasco, and sworn off working on the Wii U.

While them coming back to produce games on it isn't impossible, EA act like giant corporate babies and there is a good chance that they aren't going to do shit for the Wii U unless Nintendo ponies up some serious cash.

Well so has square-enix, Bethesda, atlus, nis, capcom, rock-star, bandai-namco and konami. No-one is making games for this system heck the wii-u at all let alone porting over anything. Heck the wii-u didn't even get the latest dragon ball z game despite being more than capable of running it fine. Nintendo needs to step up and find a way to get 3rd party support back even if most are just ports at least more games will be out there. As for the 3ds I see it doing fine and continuing to do so if they get more portable games on e-shop like lynx, wonder-swan and neo-geo pocket.

WeepingAngels:
I don't understand people who say the Wii U has no games but act like the PS4/One has enough to validate a console purchase. The Wii U currently has a better library than either the PS4 or the One.

I do understand the people who say that Nintendo burned them last gen.

In my opinion Nintendo needs to really pick up the pace on the Virtual Console on both the 3DS and Wii U (where is SMB 3 for NA?). Not only will it give them some fairly easy money but it will fill in the gaps between big releases. Nintendo needs to reconsider it's pricing for downloadable titles, people are used to downloading free or cheaper games because of mobile devices and there is no putting the shit back in the horse. Maybe $3 for NES, $5 for SNES, $7 for N64.

The problem isn't number of games. It's installed user base. It's eyeballs and wallets on the consoles. Nintendo's profit point is software sales. But those are hobbled by the limited number of WiiU's out there in the market. When your game needs to sell to 80+% of your installed user base in order to hit its designed metrics there is a problem. In the case of the WiiU the problem isn't with overly high games sales expectations, its from overly low installed user base.

And Nintendo's Christmas sales were THAT bad. They were so low that it basically meant either people were just literally ignoring the console, or that the stores never even bothered to put it out for the public to find. The 3dS survived and turned around because Nintendo in that case was competing with themselves. There really was not a strong competitor in the handheld niche. When the 3dS released most lost sales went to DS's or people simply stuck with the DS they already had until a reason to change came along. The only competition was from the Vita which was minimal at best. People wanted the 3dS upgrade, they just didn't want it at the original 3dS price. The WiiU is another story entirely. We've seen this dance too many times before. Jaguar? Saturn? etc. It will take a large miracle for Nintendo to turn the WiiU's fortunes around. They almost have to pull it from the market and re release it under a different name.

faefrost:

WeepingAngels:
I don't understand people who say the Wii U has no games but act like the PS4/One has enough to validate a console purchase. The Wii U currently has a better library than either the PS4 or the One.

In my opinion Nintendo needs to really pick up the pace on the Virtual Console on both the 3DS and Wii U (where is SMB 3 for NA?). Not only will it give them some fairly easy money but it will fill in the gaps between big releases. Nintendo needs to reconsider it's pricing for downloadable titles, people are used to downloading free or cheaper games because of mobile devices and there is no putting the shit back in the horse. Maybe $3 for NES, $5 for SNES, $7 for N64.

The problem isn't number of games. It's installed user base. It's eyeballs and wallets on the consoles. Nintendo's profit point is software sales. But those are hobbled by the limited number of WiiU's out there in the market. When your game needs to sell to 80+% of your installed user base in order to hit its designed metrics there is a problem. In the case of the WiiU the problem isn't with overly high games sales expectations, its from overly low installed user base.

And Nintendo's Christmas sales were THAT bad. They were so low that it basically meant either people were just literally ignoring the console, or that the stores never even bothered to put it out for the public to find. The 3dS survived and turned around because Nintendo in that case was competing with themselves. There really was not a strong competitor in the handheld niche. When the 3dS released most lost sales went to DS's or people simply stuck with the DS they already had until a reason to change came along. The only competition was from the Vita which was minimal at best. People wanted the 3dS upgrade, they just didn't want it at the original 3dS price. The WiiU is another story entirely. We've seen this dance too many times before. Jaguar? Saturn? etc. It will take a large miracle for Nintendo to turn the WiiU's fortunes around. They almost have to pull it from the market and re release it under a different name.

The December NPD says the Wii U had its best month yet.

Aiddon:

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
well i'm ready for an industry crash over this any-day and I hope it's enough to fully shake the foundation that has become the norm lately. Releasing mario, pokemon and other 1st party games on smart-phones/tablets of course is going to lead down the road of micro-transactions. You want an extra life well that's .99cents, you want to unlock this legendary Pokemon pay 3.99 and don't think it won't happen everyone. H*** look at what's gaming become now on last and current gen consoles with on disc dlc, pay for costumes etc. Yeah I'm sound like a pessimistic here but screw it I would rather let the industry start over again.

The actual quote says they're "studying" smart phones; considering that Iwata said "it's not as simple as making Mario move on a smart phone", you're probably not going to see that. Sure, idiots like Pachter and short-sighted Western investors will throw a tantrum, but they would do it regardless. They might put free apps on smart phones, but I doubt we'll be seeing Nintendo games on there. That would just be stupid

They are a gaming company, there isn't much if any incentive for them to make generic apps, so it's a given that they are thinking of making games. What Iwata's last comment probably means is that they aren't just going to port something and call it a day because it would be shit. They are considering developing for smarthphone's such using the nintendo mascots no doubt, but they will be games focused on the smartphone's capabilities. That means Dr Mario puzzle reboot yay, any platformed is a nay since platformers are hell on that format and a Pokemon game is perfectly playable on a smartphone.

VG_Addict:

faefrost:

WeepingAngels:

The December NPD says the Wii U had its best month yet.

And? It's best month ever still put its full yearly totals noticeably below just the december sales of its two main rivals.

So the wiiU hit finally hit home and made them a loss. We all knew this will happen, we all saw it coming, yet we refused to believe it. Now its only a question of will the company continue to lay on the train tracks of stand up and start walking.

Callate:
When Michael Pachter inevitably spouts off on this, would someone please punch him in the mouth...? (Or just, y'know, not make like it's news, for once?)

too late http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131440-Pachter-Nintendo-Should-Consider-Getting-Out-of-the-Wii-U-Business

Also, Pachter was right.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or