Pachter: Nintendo Should "Consider Getting Out of the Wii U Business"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Pachter: Nintendo Should "Consider Getting Out of the Wii U Business"

Analyst Michael Pachter believes Nintendo should go back to the drawing board and takes its games multiplatform "until they release a new console."

Nintendo had to admit to some rough truths today, substantially reducing its sales projections for both the Wii U and 3DS for fiscal year 2013. In light of this development many came out with opinions regarding Nintendo's course forward and the steps it needs to take to salvage what increasingly appears to be a hopeless Wii U. Among them was analyst Michael Pachter who suggested that Nintendo's software might do better if it were released from the constraints of its poorly selling hardware. "Nintendo software is still great," he said in a Tweet. "However, if [software] remains proprietary, sales are limited when they sell fewer [hardware] units."

While it would be easy to take this as Pachter suggesting Nintendo abandon hardware altogether, he would suggest a more moderate approach for the company. "I don't think Nintendo should exit the hardware business at all," he said. "Rather, I think they should consider getting out of the Wii U business, and consider going back to the drawing board on consoles. They have a console in the marketplace that isn't working, and if they continue to tilt at windmills, their software sales will suffer."

That being the case, he does believe some short-term multiplatform actions might be a prudent move on the company's part. "Obviously, If they discontinue the Wii U, they will sell no console software," he said. "I think they should reconsider going multiplatform until they release a new console, then they can pull all of their software from the PS4 and Xbox One, and go back to being a proprietary software maker."

In the case of the 3DS's failure to meet expectations, things are "more complicated." According to Pachter, the rise of mobile and tablet games has damaged Nintendo's dominance of portable gaming in a way "they will have trouble getting back." In turn, he thinks the company should embrace the new mobile market by "Placing GBA games on those platforms for paid download ($4.99 - 9.99) and developing a broader audience." Newly hooked Nintendo fans could, in turn, be convinced to "buy a 3DS and more expensive games."

In the least, Nintendo's recent bad news is making it clearer and clearer that the company can't continue on in the fashion it has been. While the rampant success of the Wii has given it some definite leeway, it's still a business and can't enjoy these sorts of failures. What remains to be seen is where it tries to go from here and, in turn, where it winds up as a result. Maybe it will follow suggestions from people like Michael Pachter. Looking at Nintendo's recent history though, we can see it trying a solution all its own.

I think it would be a bad idea to go multiplatform and then go back to being exclusive in a few years.

I hate to agree with this jackass... but I kind of feel the same way. They can release their games multiplatform (home console, not necessarily handheld where they are the most successful by many orders of magnitude), they can then bring in the money and make plans for a new console that is more in line with what consumers want.

On the other hand... he basically says that Nintendo should avoid 3DS support and port existing games to mobile platforms... which is a fuckin' horrible idea.

And this explains why people who have intelligence don't listen to Patcher.

If Nintendo goes multi-platform on any of their regular titles, they've shot themselves in the foot for any hardware development in the future. One of the biggest advantages Nintendo has in their hardware department is their software department.. and that advantage is such that it allows them to make hardware that is not a loss leader for them while at the same time trying out new ideas to see if they can catch lightning, like they did with the Wii.

Imagine if they'd have followed this strategy after the gamecube. If the Nintendo fans knew that they could get their Nintendo quality games on a 360 or PS3, how many of them would have bothered with picking up a Wii? Would it have been enough to create the kind of buzz that eventually carried the Wii to such heights?

The current problems of the Wii U stem simply from there not being enough quality software out there to drive its sales. Nintendo completely wasted their year long head start because they underestimated the difficulty of developing for HD, something even they admit. Now they're having to compete, not just for sales, but for developers, with the next-gen consoles of Microsoft and Sony.. and those consoles are closer to PCs from my understanding, so easier to develop for. They've given themselves a hell of an uphill battle -- and the way to increase it is to somehow massively increase their console base. This will require a significant price reduction *and* the release of the type of Nintendo software that we've been waiting for for a year and a half now.

But beyond that, even if they don't, they still don't need to give up their exclusivity, as they've generated enough revenue with the Wii that they could conceivably decide to drop the Wii U and move immediately to another console.. although what would that console offer that would make it any different? Just more horsepower? Does anybody really think that would be enough?

This title should just be renamed to "Pachter makes a "prediction" that has striking similarities to the comments seen on your average news article.

Kwil:
Now they're having to compete, not just for sales, but for developers, with the next-gen consoles of Microsoft and Sony.. and those consoles are closer to PCs from my understanding, so easier to develop for.

I think the real problem isn't that the PS4 and Xbone are easier to develop for, but that they're easy to port between. They're more or less the same system, while the Wii-U is drastically different. Which makes porting third-party titles to the system way more time and money consuming, making it not worth it for them.

Anyway, Nintendo going third-party would be a disaster. They've built up the legacy they have because they operate within their own little realm, generally ignoring the rest of the industry. This now seems to be biting them in the ass in terms of third-party support, but actually going third-party would most likely mean squandering that iconic indentity.

Who the hell would buy a Nintendo console in the future if the drop Wii U support in under 2 years.

Dragonbums:
This title should just be renamed to "Pachter makes a "prediction" that has striking similarities to the comments seen on your average news article.

I'd suggested a drinking game for every time Patcher makes a "prediction" but I'd die of alcohol poisoning.

OT: Seriously, why do we listen to this hack again? Here, I'll make a prediction: Nintendo will be just fine. Do I get news article based on my accuracy?

Dragonbums:

I think Pachter is the name of a mysterious AI that trawls the internet, determines an opinion based on those comments and publishes it as some kind of enlightened prediction!

I would actually buy a few GBA games if they had a decent PC port. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was quite fun and one of the few GBA games I bothered to play through more than once after completion. Whilst I could go and rummage through cupboards for my possibly still working GBA and cartridges I don't mind dropping a few quid on a PC version. Same goes for some other old Gameboy games. But no, Nintendo and PC shall never meet again!

No, Pachter. That's not what they need to do.

Six steps to save the Wii U:

• More games - They're making progress on this front, but the I think the turning point will be Mario Kart 8.
  • Better marketing - I recently saw an ad on TV that explained that the Wii U isn't just an add-on. They should've been doing this type of ad all along, and they should've been advertising a lot more.
  • Better bundles - For now New Super Mario Bros. is okay (Nintendo Land was always a bad choice), but before holiday 2014 season, they need to start bundling Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart 8.
  • Stop selling the Wii - This is contributing to consumer confusion. Introducing a new model of Wii (the Wii Mini) after launching the Wii U was a colossal mistake. Continuing to sell either version of the Wii is a bigger one. Both the Wii and the Wii Mini need to be ditched ASAP in order for the Wii U to ever gain any real traction.
  • Stop ignoring franchises - We want a new Star Fox game that builds on the foundation set by the first two (think Assault, but actually make a complete game this time). We want a new F-Zero game at all. A new Puzzle League game would be nice, if it can find a big enough audience (maybe rebranded as a Luigi game?). A new Wars game would be a fantastic fit for the Wii U's gamepad.
  • VIRTUAL CONSOLE - Seriously, they've got a huge backlog of games, a fair few people who would be quite willing to re-purchase them, and very little cost in rereleasing them compared to new games. When the Wii was young, I used to get excited to see what new Virtual Console games would come out every week. It was a fantastic hype builder, and helped keep people's minds where you wanted them. It got regular features on quite a few gaming news sites (read: free advertising).

The Wii U doesn't have to die. It can be made profitable. But Nintendo really needs to look at why it's failing and fix those problems before that can possibly happen. If something isn't working, the solution isn't do the same thing but more of it. Once Nintendo gets that figured out, I think the Wii U perform do acceptably.

P.S. Thanks

Baresark:
I hate to agree with this jackass... but I kind of feel the same way. They can release their games multiplatform (home console, not necessarily handheld where they are the most successful by many orders of magnitude), they can then bring in the money and make plans for a new console that is more in line with what consumers want.

On the other hand... he basically says that Nintendo should avoid 3DS support and port existing games to mobile platforms... which is a fuckin' horrible idea.

Actually to be fair he said they should port the older game boy advanced games to mobile in order to draw a wider audience to it's franchises so they would be encouraged to buy a 3ds which isn't all that bad. Honestly I thought his ideas were pretty good this time until I read this:

Mr Ink 5000:
Who the hell would buy a Nintendo console in the future if the drop Wii U support in under 2 years.

Abandoning all those who did get a Wii you would kill a lot of confidence in future products not to mention alienate their most loyal customers all for an uncertain return on a later console at a point where sony and microsoft would already have a firm domination of the market. Yeah kinda silly. Still maybe design an attachment that lets the WiiU play more standard games to make porting easier or something? Just pushing ahead at this point doesn't seem like the best strategy either.

I guess we'll have to see how the Wii U does after this year. If new Mario Kart and new Smash Bros can't move the console, then nothing will. If the Wii U is still down in the dumps by the start of next year, then Nintendo maybe should consider going back to the drawing board and cut the Wii U's lifespan short.

He's just saying what a lot of people are thinking, and also saying. Send all checks by mail.

I'd love it if Nintendo went multiplat. Their hardware is shitty and holding their games back. Metroid on PC or Pokemon on Android could really thrive. Instead they're the big fish in a tiny pond that no one is buying.

Welp, seeing as I own a Wii U and neither a PS4 or a X Box one... and I consistently play it, I shall ignore this article hence forth.

Mcoffey:
He's just saying what a lot of people are thinking, and also saying. Send all checks by mail.

I'd love it if Nintendo went multiplat. Their hardware is shitty and holding their games back. Metroid on PC or Pokemon on Android could really thrive. Instead they're the big fish in a tiny pond that no one is buying.

Because $40.00 games on mobile devices sell like hotcakes, right? Pokemon on mobile devices would have to rely on different proceeding in order to make a profit. Like pay to play or DLC. Would you really want that in a pokemon game?

Kwil:

I listen to Pachter because he has more knowledge of the business side of the gaming industry than the regular Joe gaming "journalists". You seem to forget that Pachter is just putting out suggestions on how to maximize revenue. And he's not wrong. Ditching the Wii U is probably the best decision Nintendo could make since they screwed it up so hard already (calling it the Wii U was a big no-no).

Kwil:
Just more horsepower? Does anybody really think that would be enough?

Yes, that would be enough (see: fanboy wars about CoD's native resolution on Xbox One compared to PS4). The Wii U's CPU is so significantly under-powered that it's excruciatingly time-consuming to develop for ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story ). If it costs a fuck-ton to develop for the Wii U and the product is comparatively shit to other platforms' versions, then why would third-party's develop for it? And why would you buy a Wii U if there's no software? Nintendo sure as hell isn't supporting it enough, and they most likely won't be able to catch up. Unless they have the most ground-breaking Zelda game ever that's worth buying a $300 machine to play, the Wii U is going to be a money-sink for Nintendo.

rasputin0009:

Kwil:

I listen to Pachter because he has more knowledge of the business side of the gaming industry than the regular Joe gaming "journalists". You seem to forget that Pachter is just putting out suggestions on how to maximize revenue. And he's not wrong. Ditching the Wii U is probably the best decision Nintendo could make since they screwed it up so hard already (calling it the Wii U was a big no-no).

Kwil:

Yes, that would be enough (see: fanboy wars about CoD's native resolution on Xbox One compared to PS4). The Wii U's CPU is so significantly under-powered that it's excruciatingly time-consuming to develop for ( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story ). If it costs a fuck-ton to develop for the Wii U and the product is comparatively shit to other platforms' versions, then why would third-party's develop for it? And why would you buy a Wii U if there's no software? Nintendo sure as hell isn't supporting it enough, and they most likely won't be able to catch up. Unless they have the most ground-breaking Zelda game ever that's worth buying a $300 machine to play, the Wii U is going to be a money-sink for Nintendo.

Except ditching the Wii U would piss off the 5 million people who bought it, and the few devs who ARE making games for it. You don't think 5 million is a lot? Trust me, that's more than enough to make an impact in Nintendo's consumer base.

Also, people tend to ignore Pachter because his predictions have been wrong more often than they've been right.

Michael Pachter has mentioned on his Pach-Attack show that he doesn't "get" Nintendo (and he doesn't really get Japanese companies in general). I think that's pretty obvious here. Discontinuing the Wii U and making its games multiplatform is the worst thing they could do as a hardware designer, IMO. Nintendo has been through periods of wavering hardware sales before (GameCube) and they pulled through. And what kept them afloat was their first-party titles. The Wii U has been a mistake, yes, and with the release of the PS4 and the XB1 there's likely little chance of recovering from it. So make the Wii U's life cycle short and come back with a real console next time. Don't open the multiplatform door -- it'll be hard to close up again.

As for the 3DS and putting old games on third party mobile platforms...I don't know. GBA games are valuable IP that's doing a whole lot of nothing since the 3DS Virtual Console doesn't have GBA games and no one's buying a Wii U for GBA games. I think it might be a good idea for Nintendo to swallow its pride and release older games, GBA games at least, on mobile phones. At least the situation with the 3DS isn't as dire as the Wii U.

Double post, sorry...

As much as I'd rather play the next Zelda or Metroid in above 1080p at 60 fps on my pc or blow my money on one of those locked PCs MS and Sony just came out with, Nintendo's top brass would rather commit sepukku compared to pay out royalities to either Microsoft or Sony. Pacther should consider a gag ball ever so often. He's either stated the obvious so late shareholders listening to him are probably losing money if they aren't paying attention to their volatile stocks Pachter isn't advising them on, or he's coming up with the worst business advise this side of telling people to invest in those two new systems out now, you know the CDi with a new Zelda game and the Jaguar, the machine that is 4 times as powerful as an SNES.

If Nintendo follow this 'advice' then Nintendo would be dead as a hardware developer. Who in their right mind could trust a brand after that? Dropping a console after just a couple of years, going third party then going back to making hardware? How could you guarantee they wouldn't just do that again. This would only serve to piss people off.

Michael Pachter has said some really stupid shit, but this is far and away one of the dumbest things he's ever said.

rasputin0009:

Kwil:

Kwil:

So basically you agree and think Pachter's idea of Ditching the Wii U is a good thing?.

I'll let that sink in your brain for a while until you realise just how wrong that can be towards customers, go ahead I dare you to go to everyone down your street (hell the rest of the planet if you've got the balls) and tell everyone how it's not pointless to buy a Wii U and that you shouldn't because you think it's the better idea.

No, no it's really not at all, you're telling customers directly that the money they have spent on such a console is now worthless and that support must be dropped and their consoles devalued, that's not what a customer would ever want to hear.

Do you understand what a customer does want?, do you understand how they take it when you elt them know the money they just spend on was all for nothing?, do many customers love getting that shoved in their face based upon "good ideas", I'd say not.

yes the man think he can maximise profits but he's been going about it wrong this entire time, if you think he's better and more intelligent than the average joe then I don't know what you're on but lay off it.

Other people on here have already suggested good and decent sound ideas that can aid Nintendo without having to fuck over their existing customers, you do not fuck over the current existing base of customers, sorry but you just don't, it never ends well.

Also "more horsepower"?, really is this what everything in the videogame industry is to properly amount to?, are we still on the hype kool aid or something from 2010?.

xaszatm:

Mcoffey:

Because $40.00 games on mobile devices sell like hotcakes, right? Pokemon on mobile devices would have to rely on different proceeding in order to make a profit. Like pay to play or DLC. Would you really want that in a pokemon game?

I'd rather play pokemon on a device I always have with me than shell out 200 for a device I sometimes remember to bring with me. I love the library of the 3ds, but the system itself is a dog. There's nothing it does, save the vestigial 3d effect, that cannot be done better on most smart phones and tablets.

And if anyone can change the way mobile games are looked at and priced, it's Nintendo. People would pay hand over fist for a smart phone pokemon game, the same as they already do.

So everyone is allowed to have exclusives and hold content hostage except Nintendo? Though I don't like the idea of exclusives, there are far greater evils in this industry. Nintendo IP's being proprietary, to me, insures that Nintendo's style of game-making won't be altered to the whims of Sony and Microsoft. It would be naive to even humor the notion that they would let Nintendo develop without interjecting and neck-craning. I don't want to see a brown and grey, hard-core Pokemon with epic choir tracks. Just no.

That said, Nintendo has themselves (or at least their marketing team) to blame. I like the Wii U. Never having had a Wii, the backwards compatibility is nice for a lot of stuff I missed out on. I dig some of the new titles too, and am excited for some upcoming releases. But I have never seen a Wii U add. Not ever. Microsoft has ESPN and sporting events locked up and Sony's "It's Such a Perfect Day" spot has been visible and effective for a while now. But the Wii U is absolutely nowhere to be seen. Granted I don't watch much TV; and I don't think I'm a typical entertainment consumer, but this lack of exposure has got to have hurt Nintendo badly. There are lots of people that still don't realize the Wii U is a thing, and not a peripheral for the Wii. The Wii's marketing was aggressive, clever, memorable, and generally well received. Why the same effort was not made to inform and attract the public in the case of the Wii U, I can't even imagine.

Heads in their marketing department need to roll.

They also made a miscalculation in coming out a year in advance of their competitors. It was a risk, hoping for a large install base, that didn't pay off. I can't really fault them, as hindsight is 20/20. But, in so doing, they failed to adequately court the third party developers and now face a fierce uphill battle if they wish to win a modicum of support. They additionally face the stigma of their machine, though plenty capable, being underpowered.

But this idea of dropping current hardware support would be suicidal. The install base would lose faith in the brand. And the brand would have its strings pulled by the other platforms to make games for as wide an audience as possible (as those platforms see it), thus diminishing their brand identity. With the software being pulled away, I don't think the 3ds as a device would be able to survive the market shift, and that would be it (I shudder to even contemplate it, as much as I adore the 3ds).

As it is, the 3ds is successful, and I think headway is there to make for the Wii U, though it will likely be immensely difficult. And despite current hardware troubles - especially considering that Nintendo has faced and survived hardware troubles in the past - I see only disadvantages in abandoning their machine only year into it's life-cycle and multiplating their IP's.

Finally, what Pachter is doing is not making a prediction, but rather a suggestion. A daft suggestion that, if followed, would destroy any positive repute in the brand, and run Nintendo into the ground.

Covarr:
No, Pachter. That's not what they need to do.

Six steps to save the Wii U:

• More games - They're making progress on this front, but the I think the turning point will be Mario Kart 8.
  • Better marketing - I recently saw an ad on TV that explained that the Wii U isn't just an add-on. They should've been doing this type of ad all along, and they should've been advertising a lot more.
  • Better bundles - For now New Super Mario Bros. is okay (Nintendo Land was always a bad choice), but before holiday 2014 season, they need to start bundling Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart 8.
  • Stop selling the Wii - This is contributing to consumer confusion. Introducing a new model of Wii (the Wii Mini) after launching the Wii U was a colossal mistake. Continuing to sell either version of the Wii is a bigger one. Both the Wii and the Wii Mini need to be ditched ASAP in order for the Wii U to ever gain any real traction.
  • Stop ignoring franchises - We want a new Star Fox game that builds on the foundation set by the first two (think Assault, but actually make a complete game this time). We want a new F-Zero game at all. A new Puzzle League game would be nice, if it can find a big enough audience (maybe rebranded as a Luigi game?). A new Wars game would be a fantastic fit for the Wii U's gamepad.
  • VIRTUAL CONSOLE - Seriously, they've got a huge backlog of games, a fair few people who would be quite willing to re-purchase them, and very little cost in rereleasing them compared to new games. When the Wii was young, I used to get excited to see what new Virtual Console games would come out every week. It was a fantastic hype builder, and helped keep people's minds where you wanted them. It got regular features on quite a few gaming news sites (read: free advertising).

The Wii U doesn't have to die. It can be made profitable. But Nintendo really needs to look at why it's failing and fix those problems before that can possibly happen. If something isn't working, the solution isn't do the same thing but more of it. Once Nintendo gets that figured out, I think the Wii U perform do acceptably.

P.S. Thanks

Dropping the gamepad and the price with it could also significantly aid them. It's a $140 peripheral that has proven wildly unused and uneeded for the vast majority of games. Getting rid of it could reduce the price by $100 and make porting to the WiiU even simpler. It could also help return the game to an "elder-friendly" state where the WiiMote is so easy to use for them compared to a small screen tablet.

But now that the other console genies are out of the bottle I don't know how much price will matter. Like when the gamecube was the most powerful system of the generation and still sold for $99 after dismal sales.

vagabondwillsmile:
So everyone is allowed to have exclusives and hold content hostage except Nintendo? Though I don't like the idea of exclusives, there are far greater evils in this industry. Nintendo IP's being proprietary, to me, insures that Nintendo's style of game-making won't be altered to the whims of Sony and Microsoft. It would be naive to even humor the notion that they would let Nintendo develop without interjecting and neck-craning. I don't want to see a brown and grey, hard-core Pokemon with epic choir tracks. Just no.

I think you are mixing up Publishers and Platforms here. I don't see any reason or way that Sony or Microsoft would meddle with Nintendo, were they to want to release a colorful Mario title on their console. They would only stand to benefit from even more diversity on their platform. By the way, the brown and grey Ni no Kuni rolls by to say hello.

vagabondwillsmile:
They also made a miscalculation in coming out a year in advance of their competitors. It was a risk, hoping for a large install base, that didn't pay off. I can't really fault them, as hindsight is 20/20. But, in so doing, they failed to adequately court the third party developers and now face a fierce uphill battle if they wish to win a modicum of support. They additionally face the stigma of their machine, though plenty capable, being underpowered.

When would you have had them release their console, if I might ask? Having a full year without any next-gen competition is a smart thing to do, that is, if the product you release has games for it and isn't just a marginal improvement over your competitors last gen products.

Loki_The_Good:

Baresark:

[quote="Mr Ink 5000" post="7.839748.20627658"]Who the hell would buy a Nintendo console in the future if the drop Wii U support in under 2 years.

Abandoning all those who did get a Wii you would kill a lot of confidence in future products not to mention alienate their most loyal customers all for an uncertain return on a later console at a point where sony and microsoft would already have a firm domination of the market. Yeah kinda silly. Still maybe design an attachment that lets the WiiU play more standard games to make porting easier or something? Just pushing ahead at this point doesn't seem like the best strategy either.

well thats not an option I can see as it looks to me like there are no expansion slots for upgrades.
I'm guessing better development kits and incentives for third parties is going to be the only way

Covarr:
This!

Nintendo needs to realize that it no longer is the proprietary powerhouse that can afford to sit on in-house development. It no longer is the appealing and vaguely cutesy-poo entertainment provider that's fueled entirely by whimsy and vaguely Osamu Tezuka-like design tenets. Gamers are much, much older than they used to be, and my generation isn't in a hurry to replenish the market with new Mariokateers.

As much as Mario games do ramp up their challenge fairly quickly, the initial impression typically veers closer to mind-numbing ease, and the fact is that constantly iterating on the same lore eventually gets tiresome. I'd love it if Ninty worked on a decent storytelling department and stopped considering its titles as "Mario Formula, Iteration Number 32" and "Zelda Formula, Iteration Number 44".

What they really need is to find a way to make us care again. As-is, we just don't.

What, after they opened China? There's a ton of game-happy Chinese citizens to make money off of.

If Patcher had his way, Nintendo would've gotten out of the hardware business after the failure of the Virtual Boy.

Even if the Wii U is a complete, unmitigated disaster, Nintendo has more swings at bat than just one mishap. Never count them out, especially with the 3DS dominating like it has.

Mr Ink 5000:

Loki_The_Good:

Baresark:

[quote="Mr Ink 5000" post="7.839748.20627658"]Who the hell would buy a Nintendo console in the future if the drop Wii U support in under 2 years.

well thats not an option I can see as it looks to me like there are no expansion slots for upgrades.
I'm guessing better development kits and incentives for third parties is going to be the only way

Maybe although the depressing truth is that better dev kits or not WiiU has a hard time running engines a lot of the bigger developers are using and WiiU doesn't exactly seem like the best for indie development because the extra technology is more expensive and limits where they can move it after. As for incentives? The problem is how are they going to be able to give better incentives when they are earning less money and have a smaller base. Micorsoft or Sony can out incentive anything they do because they have the financial stability to do so. They might not, but praying for that kind of over site as a winning strategy is one hell of a hail marry.

A few multiplatform Nintendo games could be quite good actually, they would naturally sell well with the fans and introduce new fans to their long standing franchises. Nintendo do make quality software, if more people saw that they might be more willing to get a Nintendo platform. It would be even better if they could rebuild bridges with the third parties and make a console with competitive resources again, doesn't have to be the most powerfull just powerful enough and with no oddball controllers or poor media choices like those rubbish Gamecube disks.

They could keep their core games for their own consoles and just release some spins offs, a Mario platformer etc.

J Tyran:
A few multiplatform Nintendo games could be quite good actually, they would naturally sell well with the fans and introduce new fans to their long standing franchises.

It might introduce people to Nintendo games, but we all know how Gamers act, and let's not kid ourselves, they act almost like spoiled children (And some of them actually do). Here's how the scenario above would play out:

"Wow, this game called 'Mario' is fantastic! When's the next one coming out? In a few years? Awesome! I knew it was a good idea to get the PS4. Wait, what's that? The next Mario's not going to be on the PS4? It's only going to be on a Nintendo System?"

Fallowed by:

a) "Oh well, then screw it. I didn't need it anyways."

or

b) "What the hell? That's an outrage! I demand they put Mario back here right now! Nintendo is a bunch of Greedy Ass hats! How dare they take my beloved Mario away!"

Let's not kid ourselves, this is how most of us would act (This is how a lot of people acted when Bayonetta moved to WiiU exclusivity).

Mr.Mattress:

J Tyran:
A few multiplatform Nintendo games could be quite good actually, they would naturally sell well with the fans and introduce new fans to their long standing franchises.

It might introduce people to Nintendo games, but we all know how Gamers act, and let's not kid ourselves, they act almost like spoiled children (And some of them actually do). Here's how the scenario above would play out:

"Wow, this game called 'Mario' is fantastic! When's the next one coming out? In a few years? Awesome! I knew it was a good idea to get the PS4. Wait, what's that? The next Mario's not going to be on the PS4? It's only going to be on a Nintendo System?"

Fallowed by:

or

b) "What the hell? That's an outrage! I demand they put Mario back here right now! Nintendo is a bunch of Greedy Ass hats! How dare they take my beloved Mario away!"

Let's not kid ourselves, this is how most of us would act (This is how a lot of people acted when Bayonetta moved to WiiU exclusivity).

Use worst-case assumptions to dismiss an idea with potential, there's a winning strategy.

On a more serious note; if properly executed then something like this could work without much trouble, it's all a matter of treating your consumers with a bit of respect and decency. For example, there is no reason why they couldn't keep releasing games on third party hardware, why assume a a twisted 'bait and switch' ( might not be the proper name for it ) situation where they would release one multi-plat game to hook people and then only release sequels on their own piece of hardware?

Mr.Mattress:

J Tyran:

Fallowed by:

or

True, there is that. That is the reason Nintendo would have to get their shit together with their consoles though, if they could catch all the third party multiplatform games people wouldn't mind choosing a Nintendo console over the others.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here