J.J. Abrams: Star Wars: Episode VII Script Finished

J.J. Abrams: Star Wars: Episode VII Script Finished

Star Wars Battle of Endor

Director J.J. Abrams says that Episode VII's script is finished and that the production is currently in "deep prep."

With Star Wars: Episode VII slated for a not-too-far-away release in December of 2015, some have harbored concerns about whether or not the film will have enough time to be crafted into the high quality product that fans so desperately want it to be. That being the case, director J.J. Abrams, commenting on the film at TCA 2014, has revealed that at least one important element of the new movie is complete: the script.

"We're working really hard and we've got our script and we're in deep prep," said Abrams. "Full steam ahead, y'know." This will likely come as welcome news to anxious fans, though not without some caveats. Recent rumors, for instance, have pegged story disagreements as the cause behind the departure of Michael Arndt, Episode VII's original screenwriter. According to anonymous sources, Arndt disliked Abrams supposed insistence on the aging cast of the original Star Wars trilogy front and center in the new film. Many fans and critics echoed that reported displeasure.

Nonetheless, with much of the news about the film often being restricted to rumors, it's just nice to be able to confirm some progress. That said, it would seem that not all of the rumors coming out are completely baseless. In addition to commenting on the script, Abrams also confirmed that he has indeed met with Breaking Bad actor Jesse Plemons. It makes us wonder how much else that we've heard might be true.

Source: The Wrap

Damn, for an instant I thought I saw "Jar Jar" in the thread title.

I can't wait to watch jedi apprentice Todd's fall to the dark side after he shoots a youngling who had the misfortune of witnessing him make the kessel run.

As long as we don't have stupid crap such as trained storm troopers being beaten by teddybears, it should be good.
People overrate Lucus' stories far too much and ignore the VAST areas of plot which make no sense (even with the suspension of disbelief). Oh, and I hope he lays off the lense flare a bit.

And so the plans are laid at last, so the deluge of merchandise may begin again.

Let us hear the sounds that herald the return of the one true franchise:
The cries of old fans; struggling to consolidate their feelings of dual anticipations: the squees of joy and the pangs dread.
The twisted guffawing of film critics; too smug to admit their longing for joy but too cynical to feel any.

Star Wars is once again upon us; To remind us of our place with its immense worth and worthlessness;
As a windfall for the wealthy and a trove of shallow nothings for the masses.

(and this is why you don't type late at night while on painkillers)

Atmos Duality:

Is that because it creates awesome poetry?

Li Mu:
Oh, and I hope he lays off the lense flare a bit.

I've never understood this obsession of the fans with Abrams and lens flares. I personally never even noticed the flares in the reboot Star Trek until I went online and saw people whining about it, and then it didn't happen anywhere near as much as people claim it did. Though the way people talked about it that wasn't hard, seeing as they all acted like the entire movie was just one giant constant lens flare.

Besides, they toned down what little there was in Into Darkness so I figure Abrams has learned his lesson.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, I'm just going to assume the new star wars is going to suck.

I hated the Star Trek reboot and hated Into Darkness. So I think it's safe to assume that I'm going to hate the new star wars films too.

I don't know how to feel, I'm excited for new Star Wars, but I'm also worried, not worried that they'll be bad, but worried they'll be forgettable, say whatever you like about the prequel trilogy, but at the very least you won't forget them, (I mesn, unless you repressed them or something) personally I liked the prequels, but both Star Trek reboot movies have been pretty meh for me, so I hope if this movie fails, it at least fails spectacularly, if bad, then bad enough that we remember it, or good enough, as the case may be

Li Mu:
Oh, and I hope he lays off the lense flare a bit.

You're kidding right? Abrams lay off the lens flares when there's fricking lightsabers in the movie? Forget cutting people in half, all the Jedi will have to do is turn the damned things on.

"OMG MY EYES MY EYES! TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF!!!"

P.S I actually don't mind the lens flare, but it's fun to joke about them.

My take on this is it can't really be any worse than if George Lucas was still helming it. I'm also prepared to eject it from my memory and personal canon if it turns out to be shit, after all I have the collected EU stories I love to go to if I'm disappointed.
Also, J.J. Abrams? Jar Jar Abrams? Coincidence?

Well at least this is one step farther than Lucas got with the prequels. Lucas admitted he was filming and hasn't finished the script.

If they are sticking to the original characters, then will they get all the best, heroic scenes and new cast stuck to the background? This could be a bad idea, we need to be routing for the new cast of heroes, they are the ones that should be doing all the cool action and heroic stuff. Otherwise it might make the new cast a bit lacklustre and less interesting when the SW8 comes out.

Just let it die in peace NOW!

Who wants Lightsabers with Lenseflares? Anybody?

amaranth_dru:

WTF, spilled my coffee over that you saved my day! XD

Please don't let the rumors of the movie being about the original characters be true. Please please please.

And so Abrams' course to ruin(even more this time) another beloved sci-fi franchise by turning it into a generic action movie is now set. I'll give it a chance by reading reviews and judging whether the writer is channel his inner fanboi for or against it, but I've had too many hyped up games and movies turn out to not be worth $60/$12. I at least had the luxury of being able to walk in a theater or watch from a tiny window while film zipped past my head and decide if a movie is even worth my time for free. Now I don't have that ability for either media and won't give them money unless I read in reviews is sound worth it to me. Abrams better not drop the ball, since Star Wars already had a sub par revival after 30 of no new films and a false start on a 3D re-release gimmick for all six films.(Hey Hollywood, 3D is better known as eye-bleed-o-vision, and post-conversion 3D is a good example of what a turd taking a dump looks like.)

I think even Christopher Nolan could have made a better Star Wars or Star Trek, with less coincidental plot conveniences and more of the socio-political commentary that was hidden in the Star Trek franchise. Since Abrams is already spoiled with one, why did he get another? I'd rather have Joss Whedon do it, and I am even less of a fan of his stuff.

Captcha: u jelly?
Yes, I would of made Star Wars VII R-rated with more slave bikinis and light saber duels that spout more blood than a Tarrantino film. Hey! Tarrantino could do a good Star Wars. It would be mostly dialog, but at least it would be good dialog!

I'm betting it's a remake of Star Trek V. With some painfully unsubtle homages thrown in to Predator, ET, and The Muppet Movie. If there's room we may even here something new about the Force or something or other.

Atmos Duality:
And so the plans are laid at last, so the deluge of merchandise may begin again.

Let us hear the sounds that herald the return of the one true franchise:
The cries of old fans; struggling to consolidate their feelings of dual anticipations: the squees of joy and the pangs dread.
The twisted guffawing of film critics; too smug to admit their longing for joy but too cynical to feel any.

Star Wars is once again upon us; To remind us of our place with its immense worth and worthlessness;
As a windfall for the wealthy and a trove of shallow nothings for the masses.

(._.)b

well done sir, well done.

OT:Yay? I guess? I don't get why we need The Joker back in his Jedi outfit again, but what ever maybe he'll do something interesting enough that I'll actually want to watch a Star Wars movie again, and if not, I still have Gundam.

immortalfrieza:

Is that because it creates awesome poetry?

I'm not sure if I would call it poetry.

Literally. I know close to nothing about real poetic form.
Just scraps of what my english classes tried to cram into my head in High School.

amaranth_dru:

Oh wow.
Better store that snarky comparison away for a future review. That's brilliant.

Lunar Templar:

(._.)b

well done sir, well done.

Thanks.
Apparently old Vicodin is a helluva thing...but definitely not a habit I want to form.

OT:Yay? I guess? I don't get why we need The Joker back in his Jedi outfit again, but what ever maybe he'll do something interesting enough that I'll actually want to watch a Star Wars movie again, and if not, I still have Gundam.

Having seen more of Abram's style with Into Darkness, Mark Hamill needs to watch his step.
Abrams digs some pretty deep plot holes.

Please, God. Don't let this movie turn into another prequel pooch-screw. I do not want to explain to the judge why I had to beat Abrams senseless with a boat paddle.

Even though some people wouldn't blame me for doing that. ;P

I never liked Abrams, but recently he put out a T.V. show called "Almost Human" and I really like it. I just hope it doesn't create another Jar Jar.

SonOfVoorhees:
If they are sticking to the original characters, then will they get all the best, heroic scenes and new cast stuck to the background? This could be a bad idea, we need to be routing for the new cast of heroes, they are the ones that should be doing all the cool action and heroic stuff. Otherwise it might make the new cast a bit lacklustre and less interesting when the SW8 comes out.

I think the point is supposed to be to give the old characters a good sendoff while easing us into the new characters at the same time. Only time will tell whether this works or not.

EHKOS:
I never liked Abrams, but recently he put out a T.V. show called "Almost Human" and I really like it. I just hope it doesn't create another Jar Jar.

In fact, I'm hoping they toss out all those silly characters entirely. Those characters have never gone over well, always being the most useless and annoying of the cast. Even C3PO was just a robot who whined the entire time and never did anything, they could have removed him from the series entirely and it wouldn't have effected anything whatsoever.

Atmos Duality:

I'm not sure if I would call it poetry.

Literally. I know close to nothing about real poetic form.
Just scraps of what my english classes tried to cram into my head in High School.

Same here, but it sounds poetic enough at least.

Thanks.
Apparently old Vicodin is a helluva thing...but definitely not a habit I want to form.

That's probably a good idea, unless you happen to be a incredibly rude doctor who gets away with everything, in which case go nuts.

Having seen more of Abram's style with Into Darkness, Mark Hamill needs to watch his step.
Abrams digs some pretty deep plot holes.

At least he can't possibly do any worse in that department than old Lucas himself.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)