Rambo The Video Game Gives You QTEs You Won't Believe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rambo The Video Game Gives You QTEs You Won't Believe

Rambo The Video Game looks an awful lot like an on-rails shooter with a hefty helping of QTEs.

We've had a lot of fun with the promo trailers for Rambo The Video Game over the past several months, but now we finally have on our hands a video dedicated to showing off the gameplay and as much as I hate to say it, I think the good times are over.

I don't think anyone had overly great expectations for Rambo but even so, this looks less than brilliant. I'm a big fan of blowing stuff up but not so much of on-rails action, which is what we seem to have here. QTEs inspire even less excitement, so the fact that they rate specific mention as one of the pillars of gameplay makes me think that perhaps this is not the game for me.

I'm also a little put off by the way Rambo so viciously shanks at least one Sheriff's Deputy in the video; you may recall that no cops were killed in the making of First Blood (at least not on purpose) so allowing Rambo to off what will presumably be a large number of police officers and then walk away from it a free man is a bit much to swallow. Then again, narrative details probably aren't terribly relevant at this stage.

I could be wrong, but I'm really starting to suspect that Rambo The Video Game won't be one to set the world on fire. Amazingly, it still doesn't have a release date, although it's supposed to be out sometime this year. We'll keep you posted.

Wow... this looks like complete and total ass. Like, Tell Tales Jurassic Park quality, but even worse. And it isn't even an arcade game is it? Those look like keyboard prompts. This is garbage.

I haven't seen shooting like that in fucking years! That's some golden eye shit, right there!

It REALLY looks like a cabinet arcade game, sub par graphics, super on rails ... it's got the whole vibe

It's baffling that such a strong franchise name could be given over to such an embarrassingly weak game scenario. The last time I played an on rails shooter was back in the 90s at the arcades, and I'm pretty sure those games had comparable textures (House of the Dead and Timesplitters were awesome.)

I have always been one to call a spade a spade, and that is clearly shovelware.

What if we mixed the on-rails gameplay of arcade shooters with the shitiest part of the Tomb Raider reboot? That would probably turn out great, right?

Andy Chalk:
We'll keep you posted.

I think most of us would rather you didn't to be honest.

As others have said it looks like total crap. The graphics, the animation, the 'gameplay', the sound assets. It's shovelware (I hope).

I love those old on-rials shooters. Got myself that typing of the dead reboot on steam, love it. The old Time Crisis used to be my favorite light-gun game. Might see how this shapes up over it's production. Lots of people don't' seem to like it. But I really think it'll be an enjoyable time for me.

I'd been avoiding the screenshots/trailers for this deliberately because I like to avoid hype and spoilers. However when I read the title of this I had to glance. Jesus, how far could they have missed the target of a Rambo game? I was desperately hoping for a Far Cry 3 style experience, where you hunt down enemies, one against many, with bow and arrow.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that the game looks bad. When was the last time a game based on a movie franchise was good?

Ah, so it is a rail shooter, I called it. This is a retail release right? For 40/ $60? If so, this game is the bargain of the century, it will put Call of Duty in its place, 1 billion units sold in a day /sarcasm

EDIT: Quick check, the GAME.co.uk listing has this for 30 on 360/PS3, which is just under a standard retail release. Even PAYDAY 2 was around 20 when that came out.

Haha, how the hell did this ever even happen? It's like a reverse Uwe Boll treatment!

I gotta wonder concerning shanking the sheriff deputy though, the first one was a successful QTE and a clean take down, while the second was a missed/early QTE and a bloody shanking. Are these things related? Doesn't really mean much I guess but it's at least a little less shameful to the source material if doing the QTE's 'right' leads to a 0 body count in that part of the game.

VG_Addict:
I don't know why anyone is surprised that the game looks bad. When was the last time a game based on a movie franchise was good?

Goldeneye, probably.

At least whoever is making this isn't lying to us like with Aliens: Colonial Marines. They're showing something lame, so players won't be disappointed when it is lame.

Laggyteabag:
This is a retail release right? For 40/ $60?

Oh, no. Now I have disdain for it, partly due to the poor value matching and partly due to how that will probably result in a Jimquisition or two. I would rather this game not even exist, even if I was a Rambo fan.

Could we be seeing Ride to Hell: Retribution dethroned as the shittiest game of the 2013/14 financial year? Will Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing be dethroned as the worst game of all time? All these questions and more will be answered if this game ever sees the light of day!

Tohron:

VG_Addict:

Goldeneye, probably.

Chronicles of Riddick? (Even that's debatable.)

Apart from that, it seems like ever since Goldeneye, the universe has tried its damnest to prevent any other movie-license game from ever being truly good again. Even when the nature of the movie should lend itself DIRECTLY towards video game logic.

Realistically it's probably due to such games being tie-ins to the film. Which not only needs to coincide with the release of the film for peak advertising efficiency, but be cheap enough to be a reasonably profitable cash-grab.

Quick and cheap; no room for quality.

Tohron:

VG_Addict:

Goldeneye, probably.

toss up between golden eye, perfect dark, or timesplitters.

which is saying something since they were all made by people from Rare.....

It's a sad day when you realize Free Radical dissolved and CryTek is the holders of the Timesplitters IP.

On Topic: oh, hey, I thought on rails shooters died out, or at least were disguised as non-linear games, like Call of Duty.

good to see one company thinks they were a good genre back in the 90's.

I would pay exactly $0.25 before I died of an instant kill shot because I didn't step off of the "duck" pedal quick enough. Wait...this isn't footage from an arcade cabinet?

I don't know...

It looks kinda amusing in a nostalgic kind-of-way, like one of those games you'd get as a little kid on a collection CD of 1.000 demos. Most of them were really shite, but they were all you had and they were freaking video games, making it brilliant.

I might just end up buying this...

If I ever see it in a cheap-ass bargain bin, can't get the full nostalgic experience without that.

You know, I've recently beaten Metal Gear Rising. That game had QTE's. Quite a bit. However, those QTE's were something like this:

While some totally rad music is blasting in the background.

So yeah, consider me wholly unimpressed.

VG_Addict:

The Two Towers and The Return of The King were pretty good movie franchise games. I enjoyed them.

So what system is this supposed to be for? iPad? Or something with an arcade gun? Kinect maybe?

truckspond:
Could we be seeing Ride to Hell: Retribution dethroned as the shittiest game of the 2013/14 financial year? Will Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing be dethroned as the worst game of all time? All these questions and more will be answered if this game ever sees the light of day!

The thing is, as bad as this game looks, nothing can ever come close to Big Rigs in terms of just being purely unfinished. So as long as this game has guns that shoot bad guys, it will be better than Big Rigs.

But that's not saying much. Not saying much at all.

On the other hand, this does look mildly decent for a 99 cent iPad app...

VG_Addict:

Yeah, the games that come out from movies are bad but they are acceptable ... they are usually just dull and uninspired but they have acceptable graphics and acceptable combat/gameplay.

This is ... I mean it's just ... well, look at it! Good god! If it was released on the PS2 we might think "hey, it looks pretty good" but the ps4 and xbone generation? They think this is acceptable?

Wonder who the head man behind this project is? I wonder if is team are all saying "this is a fucking abortion!"? I wonder if the head guy is a tyrant or just ignorant?

VG_Addict:

Tomb Raider reboot ;)

This look awful and has less life in it than a dead person. Just seems so generic and boring as if the whole staff just couldnt be bothered. An those graphics are awful, actually every thing in it is awful looking. I like how this vid is meant to sell the game, they have the "this is our damage" section and its the most basic building destruction since some one through a shoe at a lego building. Can not believe they want to charge 40 for that crap.

Aside form it looking awful, i had to check my audio mixer to make sure i wasnt getting interference some something.

The sound assets are so bad i wonder what they actually spent their time on.

Wow, that looks rather shit.

They could've at least put in the effort to get John Rambo right. Looks more like a Sly Stallone impersonator and not a particularly good one.

VG_Addict:

The last game that comes to mind is Wolverine and before that Spider-Man 2.

4173:

VG_Addict:

Tomb Raider reboot ;)

You are aware that Tomb Raider was a game series first, the movies with angelina jolie came later, right? Thats like saying the DOOM Games are based on the movie that came out later.

OT: How is this a game? I mean it is kinda in that retro-vibe but thats it, does anyone really need a on-rails shooter, let alone one thats basicly a lightgun arcade game? Honestly from a gameplay perspective, the only appeal to this is the whole nostalgia/retro thing, because it sure as hell aint the story going by how the game is essentially just set-pieces for QTE's and lightgun segments.

Kalezian:

Tohron:

VG_Addict:

Goldeneye, probably.

toss up between golden eye, perfect dark, or timesplitters.

which is saying something since they were all made by people from Rare.....

It's a sad day when you realize Free Radical dissolved and CryTek is the holders of the Timesplitters IP.

On Topic: oh, hey, I thought on rails shooters died out, or at least were disguised as non-linear games, like Call of Duty.

good to see one company thinks they were a good genre back in the 90's.

The first Riddick movie tie-in game was claimed to be actually better than the movie, so I'm going with that.

I love Rambo. I have seen all the movies, I think they are overall very good. They have their issues, but the Rambo character is actually a very deep self deprecating and interesting character.

That said... why in the world is this game a thing?

Baresark:
I love Rambo. I have seen all the movies, I think they are overall very good. They have their issues, but the Rambo character is actually a very deep self deprecating and interesting character.

That said... why in the world is this game a thing?

Well, in China, this kind of game would sell like hot cakes. Not in homes, mind, but they have quite a few arcades still and I distinctly remember a Rambo game in quite a few of them in Shanghai. So, an updated arcade game? It'll make someone money.

As a home console release? I hope it comes with Time Crisis style gun and cover thing and works with Move or Kinect or whatever.

I will say this. It does look more interactive than beyond two souls. Not by a wide margin, but still.

Yeesh. They couldn't just get Ubisoft to license the Far Cry 3 engine for a reskin? Which was effectively Rambo with different characters to begin with.

CAPTCHA : Oh So Close (No, its really not, captcha).

In the movie-games that were good section, the last one I recall was the Amazing Spider-man. It wasn't innovative at all, and you had to ignore your webslinging literally sticking to open air, but was a solid enough beat-em up.

VG_Addict:

The Warriors. Excellent game, excellent movie, everything there was good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here