Report: PS4 Bug is Erasing Save Games, Bricking Consoles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Report: PS4 Bug is Erasing Save Games, Bricking Consoles

PS4 users are reporting a widespread data corruption error that is wiping save games and rendering games unplayable.

Some users that already have their hands on Sony's fancy new PlayStation 4 console are experiencing a rather nasty bug, that can wipe save files and render games unplayable. It's even "bricking" consoles in rare circumstances. A 34-page thread on the official Sony forums contains widespread reports of the error: "Error CE-34878-0", which does not appear to be isolated to any specific game.

Joystiq reader "Jim" wrote reported the loss of 30 hours' worth of progress as a result of a glitch. So far, users have reported seeing it in NBA 2K14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. Error CE-34878-0 can also, reportedly, corrupt games to the point where they won't even launch anymore. In rare circumstances, it will prevent the user from launching any of their PS4 applications.

Forum members have suggested a variety of solutions to the issue, ranging from save file deletion to a full console replacement. There doesn't seem to be a "quick fix" for the bug as of yet.

We have reached out to Sony for comment on the bug, and will update this story as we learn more.

Source: Joystiq

Oh boy, another bout of bricking for the PS4. I'm afraid to turn mine on until the problem has been solved. I still haven't bought the 3 year warranty... perhaps I should do that, if I'm still able to.

ouch i hope they sort it out fast for the people who have a ps4

Good news is I bet they'll patch this thing as fast as humanly possible.

Every minute less that this bug is out in the wild saves them hundreds of dollars in repairs/replacements.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but then again it hasn't been switched on for about a week. I'm not aware of any software updates having come up recently though I could be mistaken.

Hm, part of me is wanting to bet that this might have been caused by an update that Sony did, but I don't have a PS4 yet.
Well let's hope they can get this sorted out. Good thing I'm waiting until they add HDMI capture support until I get my PS4, until then I feel bad for those affected.

I won't blame people for buying the consoles, someone had to buy it after all. But we're still in the early stages of the new generation of games...Stuffs gonna break, like with any new piece of tech.

The only thing that really matters right now is how widespread it is, and how fast it can be fixed.

Ouch. That sucks. This is one of the reasons I don't buy a new console at launch. I wait for all the unforeseen problems to be fixed before I spend that type of cash. I'm sure they'll get this fixed rather quickly though. Or at least I hope they do.

The part where it only seems to be third party games caught my interest.

If that is the case then I wonder if it's not something EA/Ubi/etc have done that is causing this to pop up now?

Because consoles are so much more user friendly than PCs right guys? At least if my PC gets bricked I can fix it myself, I don't need to send it away.

J Tyran:
Because consoles are so much more user friendly than PCs right guys? At least if my PC gets bricked I can fix it myself, I don't need to send it away.

Not only that but in most cases if your PC bricks it is your fault as opposed to an update error with Sony or Microsoft having the potential to brick your console.

Yeah right. I bet if this happened with the XOne, no one would ever let Microsoft hear the end of it. This error completely erased a bunch of save games and sometimes corrupted the entire console for who knows how many people. But hey, it's OK because it's Sony, guys. They just made a little boo-boo is all.

Arnoxthe1:
Yeah right. I bet if this happened with the XOne, no one would ever let Microsoft hear the end of it. This error completely erased a bunch of save games and sometimes corrupted the entire console for who knows how many people. But hey, it's OK because it's Sony, guys. They just made a little boo-boo is all.

Well yeah...That is what happens when a company puts a lot of effort into community outreach and having a good public face. They are both faceless corporations, but this generation sony has just had a lot more luck in making themselves look like they care more, not that they do, they just LOOK like they care more. That buys you a lot of leeway.

Apparently no one here know what a bricked device means, including the article author. Not being able to launch applications does not mean the console is bricked. If you can still start it up, you can still install a fix or run a factory reset.

And by design it's impossible to brick a PC. There is just no way, you can always remove the battery from the bios and reset to plug and play settings, if you don't have hardware fault (witch is a different thing altogether) you're good to go.

dragongit:
Oh boy, another bout of bricking for the PS4. I'm afraid to turn mine on until the problem has been solved. I still haven't bought the 3 year warranty... perhaps I should do that, if I'm still able to.

wait, you have no warranty? here in europe you have 2 warranty enforced by law and if the manufacturer offers less than that the seller is required by law to do warranty services, therefore every single electronic bought has automatic 2 year warranty. im sad to hear there are still countries that allow selling items without warranty.

gabycms:

And by design it's impossible to brick a PC. There is just no way, you can always remove the battery from the bios and reset to plug and play settings, if you don't have hardware fault (witch is a different thing altogether) you're good to go.

you can brick a PC. there were viruses that literally burned your mobo up and broke it to the point of needing replacing.

Fintago:
Well yeah...That is what happens when a company puts a lot of effort into community outreach and having a good public face. They are both faceless corporations, but this generation sony has just had a lot more luck in making themselves look like they care more, not that they do, they just LOOK like they care more. That buys you a lot of leeway.

Sure, but what do you think? You think Sony deserves more forgiveness than Microsoft?

Guys I've figured out an easy to implement and incredibly cost-effective solution to this problem:
don't buy a ps4

There seem to be a rather large number of posts there, complaining about this crash in various EA games.

Some added, online DRM acting up? Wouldn't be surprised, since I had a couple of crashes of their tablet aps, which resulted in me getting millions of dollars worth of in-game currency due to "save corruption". Their testing dept is a joke.

So long as this doesn't affect Warframe... I'm good. Back to waiting 12 hours for the game to give me a gun.

Man, I'm wary of even turning on my PS4. I'd already noticed my NBA2k14 taking far too long to boot up on occasion.

I specifically remember, an odd side effect of the 2k servers being down was faster load times, for me anyways.

These examples are not really doing a good job of converting me to a "cloud based" mindset, whether for streaming games, or accessing content such as gamesaves.

Fintago:

Arnoxthe1:

Sony didn't do so hot with handling their security problem with the PSN and Microsoft did a pretty good job dealing with the RROD. I think both companies are smart enough to realize that customer service is going to be as important as actual gaming performance if they're going to turn this console generation into the goto media hub device (with all the subscription money that would come with it) for everyone's living room.

So the console is forever unusable? Because that is what bricking means. If it can be fixed with another update then it didnt brick.

There is a reason something getting bricked is scary because it means that you might as well throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Good thing this is a bug and not a hardware issue, means they can sort it out pretty quickly.

Heres hoping "quickly" is in the next few weeks and not months

Dayum. Wonder what ended up causing this? Hopefully they'll fix this soon, I can only imagine how awful it'd be to have such a snazzy, expensive new console die on you.

Steven Bogos:
So far, users have reported seeing it in NBA 2K14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

So it affects every single game released on the PS4 to date? How unfortunate.

But seriously, whilst such errors are expected in the initial year of launch, this sucks for those who've encountered the issue. Hope Sony get right on this.

Makes me wonder what's causing all of this and why it would suddenly popup now, there hasn't been a firmware update recently, has there?

Oh, that sucks for people who forked out $400 only for that to happen.

gabycms:
Apparently no one here know what a bricked device means, including the article author. Not being able to launch applications does not mean the console is bricked. If you can still start it up, you can still install a fix or run a factory reset.

Ever had a Motherboard Firmware update go horribly wrong? I have. And it DOES happen and CAN brick a PC. Granted you just pull out said mobo and put in a new one, but its annoyingly frustrating. So yeah, it can and does happen from time to time.

J Tyran:

Because you totally won't have to RMA replacement parts, amiright?

Consoles are still more user friendly than PCs. People buy them so they won't HAVE to take the steps to fix/build their own device.

dragongit:

Yeah, they really need to sort this one out since Infamous and Watch_Dogs are finally about to come out. Until then, I'm going to avoid my PS4 also. Good thing I just picked up XCOM on the last Steam sale... gonna be scratching that itch for a good while ^.^

I'll bet dollars to donuts that this is related to DRM. Wouldn't want any pirates to be able to save their game progress, right?

Arnoxthe1:

Why would that not be the case? People put up with issues from, and tend to be forgiving toward, companies that they like. People would rip Xbone a new one over this exact same issue because they don't like the company that produced it in the first place. Microsoft tried to treat console buyers like drooling humunculi and are still reaping the whirlwind from that. This is not in any way surprising.

The new and glorious console generation seems to have few birth defects. It almost feels like they rushed these things out... THEY HAD YEARS TO PERFECT THIS!

PCs might cost more but they can be fixed easier, you don't need to send it back to retailer and wait months for replacement. And more user friendly my ass - it is not user friendly if the user can't even use it.

See? Consoles really ARE just shit PCs.

Except y'know. I can fix mine right away, and even people with limited know-how, can just surf google for a while.

Huh, bit worrying that there's already been a couple of big issues with the PS4 since it launched. I know it's to be expected, but it doesn't help. Hopefully these problems can be sorted out as quickly as possible.

Gorrath:
Why would that not be the case? People put up with issues from, and tend to be forgiving toward, companies that they like. People would rip Xbone a new one over this exact same issue because they don't like the company that produced it in the first place. Microsoft tried to treat console buyers like drooling humunculi and are still reaping the whirlwind from that. This is not in any way surprising.

And that's where they're wrong. It isn't about liking or disliking a company, it is simply a business of whether the product that they're selling right now is worthy of your money. Some people say yes, some people say no. But the people that say no only because they 'want to make Micro$oft pay' are acting incredibly ridiculous.

Also, for the record, the system Microsoft wanted to implement had a lot of cool benefits too, you know. For example, you could now sell all your digital games, something you couldn't even do with Steam and, in fact, still can't do. You could be able to play ANY your games at ANY time on ANY One console as long as you had an internet connection. Anyone that was linked to your account could play any of your games if you gave them permission. The digital system that they had ready was pretty sweet as far as they go. Unfortunately, Microsoft did a terrible job selling it and of course, people just saw the negative things about it instead.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here