Renegade X Devs Confirm Launch Date With New Video

Renegade X Devs Confirm Launch Date With New Video

The developers of Renegade X have released a new video showing off some of the action in store in the upcoming overhaul of Command & Conquer: Renegade.

In November of last year, the makers of Renegade X announced that the multiplayer modernization of the decade-old (and, in my ever-so-humble opinion, sadly overlooked) shooter Commander & Conquer: Renegade would launch on February 26 of this year. Today the studio confirmed that the game has not been delayed and will in fact come out on that previously announced date.

It's a nice bit of news, if we can call it that without too much cynicism or irony, but more important is that we also now have a full-on gameplay video to look at that illustrates how Renegade X will actually be played. Last year's release trailer was very cool but didn't say much about the game beyond, "Bullets, explosions and ion cannons, oh my!"

The new video isn't as cinematic as that one, but it does dig into how it will actually look and work when you're playing. For the most part it has the appearance of a fairly standard team-based FPS, but the addition of RTS elements, bases with multiple special-purpose structures and that old, familiar C&C vibe will hopefully allow it to stand out from the crowd. It looks promising, and hey, it's free - not free-to-play, but straight-up free.

To find out more about Renegade X, which is really and for true coming out on February 26, hit up the forums at renegade-x.com.

Looks cool even if a bit unpolished and clumsy looking, still its great to see that its actually free instead of F2P.

Fantastic, the original C&C Renegade was an underrated gem that simply had bad timing on release as it came out around the time Battlefield 1942 and Planetside 1 did, so it fell through the cracks of development for the then bought Westwood EA. I still remember all the good times of leading the charge in with a mammoth tank rush, despirately defending a nuclear strike beacon to clinch a weapons factory destruction, or simply hunting down a pesky black hand and running him over with a HUMVEE.

What made this game unique was the whole economy of buildings that you the player actually needed to care about and protect. Enemy harvesters could be ganked for early game economic lead, buildings could be nuked or engy rushed at any time if they are not defended, and points were distributed on damage as opposed to raw K/D (killing an enemy Raveshaw would get you more than 5 or 6 regular grunts for instance). Even simply putting pressure on enemy buildings with solid damage could let you earn credits and points, because one artillery could tie up three engineers fixing a building.

Good on EA for letting these guys have their permission (and blessing) to make this game as a free stand alone project, and I am so looking forward to this release, if anything for a nostalgia trip. Maybe this will convince EA there is enough interest in the Renegade series to do another Renegade game in the C&C universe in the frostbyte engine, here's hoping.

EDIT reason: added stuff

mezorin:
Fantastic, the original C&C Renegade was an underrated gem that simply had bad timing on release as it came out around the time Battlefield 1942 and Planetside 1 did, so it fell through the cracks of development for the then bought Westwood EA. I still remember all the good times of leading the charge in with a mammoth tank rush, despirately defending a nuclear strike beacon to clinch a weapons factory destruction, or simply hunting down a pesky black hand and running him over with a HUMVEE.

What made this game unique was the whole economy of buildings that you the player actually needed to care about and protect. Enemy harvesters could be ganked for early game economic lead, buildings could be nuked or engy rushed at any time if they are not defended, and points were distributed on damage as opposed to raw K/D (killing an enemy Raveshaw would get you more than 5 or 6 regular grunts for instance). Even simply putting pressure on enemy buildings with solid damage could let you earn credits and points, because one artillery could tie up three engineers fixing a building.

Good on EA for letting these guys have their permission (and blessing) to make this game as a free stand alone project, and I am so looking forward to this release, if anything for a nostalgia trip. Maybe this will convince EA there is enough interest in the Renegade series to do another Renegade game in the C&C universe in the frostbyte engine, here's hoping.

EDIT reason: added stuff

Agreed Renegade was an excellent game and I look forward to giving Renegade X a run, I wonder if RX plans to do some coop missions at some point or will have bots (haven't looked into the mod much due to lack of time/cannot be assed lol.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with fond memories of Renegade. I remember more than one person warning me away from it but I actually had a lot of fun with it. Nothing particularly great or memorable, but a solid shooter and one that deserved a better reception than it got. (And rather amusingly, since I'm not an RTS fan, it's my favourite C&C game.)

It was a good game, if not the "prettiest" shooter of the time. And it required thought. I'm looking forward to this.

This is coming along quite nicely. I really did enjoy Renegade's multiplayer. Even the singleplayer campaign was pretty fun. Played out like a cheesy action movie set in the C&C universe.

Captcha: brand spanking new
Why yes, this is pretty new.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or