DayZ's Dean Hall: Early Access Is Great, But Know What You Are Getting

DayZ's Dean Hall: Early Access Is Great, But Know What You Are Getting

The DayZ dev thinks game design is much harder than climbing Everest.

"When climbing, I wasn't the leader," DayZ developer Dean 'Rocket' Hall remembers, wistfully. "When something goes wrong with DayZ, I'm the one person who can't avoid the issue or pass it on to someone else." Even now, after the alpha release, Hall doesn't recommend people buy it. Wait a month, for some of the most egregious bugs to be ironed out and some interesting new stuff to arrive. "The price will not change, but the game will get better. It is a promising concept now, but it is not a good game." In fact, it's about 20% of what Hall considers to be the ideal finished product.

Yeah, alpha sales make the money Bohemia needs to keep this show on the road, but Hall can see problems with early release. "There are massive icebergs sitting around it waiting to be hit. I think some projects are going to hit those and those issues will need to be addressed." But it does help in that it switches the decision making process from the publisher to the customer. For once, it's the person paying out the cash who decides which concepts work and which don't.

It does mean, Hall points out, that the customer needs to realize how much responsibility he or she now has. If you're voting with your wallet, make sure your vote counts. Buying everything you see and complaining about the duds afterwards just won't wash. It's not a gamble, and the internet police won't save you if you get it wrong. It's your responsibility to assess the project on its merits, and pay out accordingly.

"Do your research, don't support bad people. Reward projects by people with a good track record. Then the economy will be pushing towards quality."

Source: Dean Hall Reddit AMA

I supported this project because I liked the ideal behind it. Almost everybody that supported that complains on every forums either was not fully aware of Dean intentions of making this more into a survival sim set in a post infected russian setting OR just saw MMO and Zombie and just threw money at it.

I played for the first 2 weeks after the SA went live, and choose to hop in every so often to see what's changed. This is my choice and some feel they are entitled to much more from an "alpha that is about 20%".

I boought the game yesterday.

He's not wrong when he says wait a month. There's a survival game and then theres just empty buildings. DayZ currently simulates the latter.

Funny thing, I've never looked at DayZ as a survival sim but more a community game. You meet all sorts in that game and you really never know what will happen.

OT: He's absolutely right, it's best to do research than throw money at the screen. I see way too many people complain about early access games like they didn't know it was going to be in alpha.

Only 20% done, huh? It's already playable imo, can't wait to see what it looks like with 5 times the features.

Anyway, what he says makes sense. Be a smart consumer, pay attention to what you're paying for and who you're paying it to.

dyre:
Only 20% done, huh? It's already playable imo, can't wait to see what it looks like with 5 times the features.

Anyway, what he says makes sense. Be a smart consumer, pay attention to what you're paying for and who you're paying it to.

kidnap a person.

force him to eat a rotten banana.

person dies due to eating rotten banana.

take all his stuff.

I cant wait to see what the actual release will have either. Hopefully we can put bananas in exhaust pipes in vehicles and cause them to break down.

Guy who's sold a game at Alpha stage is telling everyone the same advice everyone else has been parroting since early access?, colour me shocked, simply shocked and awed.

Well not really shocked, just more of the rolling of eyes to see someone saying what others in the past have said and people taking it as some new golden age advice.

It also shows that whatever you put money into you don't really get much of a say unless it's something positive, can't complain about that game because it's Alpha, same when it's beta, same when it's still in that same stage forever.

Though I got gifted the game I feel as if the game is going to have that nice ultra long slow update process that will in turn just put me off the game entirely (latest slight update still hasn't addressed serious issues yet but added more stuff that not everyone needs or wants).

meanwhile I'm finding it more fun to play No more room in hell which is free and with it being free the devs have actually had to travel abroad with their own funds to create new motion capping for the player and zombie models, along with other updates promised, then there's Contagion which is cheaper than Day Z and is slightly open world but gives you multiple game modes and looks and plays decently.

Day Z still currently feels and most likely will feel like a modern hiking and held at gunpoint simulator.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Guy who's sold a game at Alpha stage is telling everyone the same advice everyone else has been parroting since early access?, colour me shocked, simply shocked and awed.

Well not really shocked, just more of the rolling of eyes to see someone saying what others in the past have said and people taking it as some new golden age advice.

It also shows that whatever you put money into you don't really get much of a say unless it's something positive, can't complain about that game because it's Alpha, same when it's beta, same when it's still in that same stage forever.

Though I got gifted the game I feel as if the game is going to have that nice ultra long slow update process that will in turn just put me off the game entirely (latest slight update still hasn't addressed serious issues yet but added more stuff that not everyone needs or wants).

meanwhile I'm finding it more fun to play No more room in hell which is free and with it being free the devs have actually had to travel abroad with their own funds to create new motion capping for the player and zombie models, along with other updates promised, then there's Contagion which is cheaper than Day Z and is slightly open world but gives you multiple game modes and looks and plays decently.

Day Z still currently feels and most likely will feel like a modern hiking and held at gunpoint simulator.

his game "sale" was caused due to fans demanding an alpha version to play with and very clearly stated that anyone not itnerested in helping the development should not buy it. anyone that bought it and wanted a full game wasnt tricked, just stupid. Its like if i was selling a tabletop without legs, tell you its without legs, you buy it and start demanding legs. that doesnt work. and he is trying to tell those people that they shouldnt be buying his game.

You can say negative things about an alpha stage game. you can however use "unfinished" as a real complain. of course it is unfinished, its in alpha stage, you knew it when you bought it, you only got yourself to blame if you expected a finished game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here