UPDATE: "Nintendo Was Dead to Us" After Wii U Launch, Says EA Source

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

UPDATE: "Nintendo Was Dead to Us" After Wii U Launch, Says EA Source

It sounds like the relationship between EA and Nintendo may be completely broken.

It's no secret that third-party publishers have completely lost interest in making games for the Wii U. With near-stagnant growth in the year since its release and Nintendo's newly lowered sales projections, it's a safe bet the Wii U won't be winning developers back anytime soon, but there are always some fans out there who believe in Nintendo, who think it the Wii U will bounce back the way the 3DS did after its rocky start.

According to a recent CVG report, it's time to give that dream up. AAA developers aren't going to come back to the Wii U. According to one anonymous EA staffer, the publisher doesn't believe it's possible for their games to be successful on the platform.

"Nintendo was dead to us very quickly," said the source. "It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids. That was pretty true across the other labels too. Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business, and EA like Activision is only focused on games that can be big franchises".

Another anonymous source from the publisher "working on perhaps the biggest franchise in games today," said Nintendo "just doesn't care about US developers" based on his experience working with the console-maker. The source doesn't say the publisher has severed ties with Nintendo, but it doesn't sound as if they're particularly interested pitching any more Wii U ideas.

UPDATE: Electronic Arts Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore has very pointedly denied the "dead to us" claim on Twitter. "Don't trust 'anonymous sources'. Nintendo's a great partner," he wrote. "They never have been, and never will be, 'dead' to EA."

Source: CVG

I'd suggest people read the article sourced before freaking out. It's not just about EA's opinion and has good points that have been argued on these threads for months.

I still have some hope that japanese developers could develop some cool stuff for it, all i'm asking for is a bunch of really cool rpgs and action titles for a niche audience. If only they could reach some sort of reliable niche and feed of that for a while, i would defineately buy the machine for that. But at the moment it seems to get some really cool stuff, and there's a lot of promising titles out on the market allready, the future just seems a bit uncertain at the moment. I'm not buying until they reveal what their plans are for 2015 and onwards.

I can't help but wonder why they aren't developing something like Fire Emblem Awakening, Professor Layton, Pokemon, Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright. There's so many succesful Nintendo related series on the DS that could help them reach a bigger audience, but they don't seem to do much about it. But i couldn't care less about EA, Ubisoft and Activision, they don't really make games that i want to play anyway, for me it's all about the exclusives.

More bashing from EA....what else is new?They really need to get over that Origin debacle.

That's fair, EA. You're dead to most gamers, anyway. Of course, if there is a God, you'll be dead PERIOD after the FTC revokes your business license for your money-grubbing shenanigans.

CAPTCHA: politically correct

If they lost their license, it would be considered that, yes.

Putting aside whether this guy is/was an actual EA dev (not exactly finding anons trustworthy), this is still his opinion and this is what I think of it: disgusting. Did he SERIOUSLY just use "kids" as a pejorative? Because if that's what he SERIOUSLY thinks of gaming then he's an IDIOT. What he is spouting is just ignorant and really insecure.

Games. Are. Toys. They should ALWAYS be aimed at the young as an industry that doesn't try to get new consumers in it is a broken industry. And furthermore, let's says that EA don't make games for kids (I mean, c'mon, look at Peggle and Plants vs Zombies), because any big publisher that doesn't have at least ONE franchise aimed at children is a stupid publisher. Heck, Activision, for as much as I despise them, have at least ONE big kids franchise in Skylanders. I can understand development teams not aiming at kids, but why would an entire PUBLISHER shun the children's market? That's just plain bad business. That's like an entire movie studio shunning family friendly films. If you are going to let ONE company try to represent the entirety of family gaming, then there is something REALLY wrong with game makers nowadays. It reminds me of how comics in the 90s pandered to older fans disproportionately due to their inherent insecurity issues with, at the end of the day, still being COMICS, a medium that was aimed predominantly at children. And because of those issues comics failed to get in newer fans to make up for older ones leaving, thus leading to the industry imploding to the point where even 20 years later it's STILL a mere shell of its former self. Seems to me like gaming needs to grow up. C.S. Lewis would be spinning in his grave at crap like this.

Actually, the article that this links to is a ton more depressing than this little blurb makes it sound.

Not wanting to be pessimistic, but it isn't even a platform for kids. Of course it has a lot of "for all ages", but when I play with my nephews they prefer the Kinect.

It's sad to know that EA doesn't think the Wii U can make them money. I mean they put out such great gems on the Wii, such as; Sport game, Sport game, Sims game, and Sport game. Seriously I just looked at the list of Wii games EA made on their website, according to them they made 74 games for the Wii, 30 of those are Sports & Racing games and the rest are pretty much Board games turned into video games.

Of the 4 games they released onto the Wii U, 3 of them were Sports & Racing games. Nobody wants a Sports or Racing game on the Wii U, there are much better platforms made for those games. I think the problem here is that EA wanted to port their games that do well on other systems onto the Wii U, just as an afterthought to make them a little money. But since those games don't sell on the Wii U they decided to just cut ties with the company instead of making games that the Wii U market would buy.

Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business,

You mean the year-old, third game in a trilogy which hinged on its continuing story and didn't see any of its previous instalments on any previous Nintendo consoles didn't sell particularly well on the new nintendo console?

Say it ain't so.

The Dreamcast also never had any EA games on it. I wonder if thats coincidence

I wish that publishers would stop using "Kids" as an insult, as if an all ages game is somehow lesser than Ultra-Hardcore-HD-Guns-And-Tits.

AzrealMaximillion:
I'd suggest people read the article sourced before freaking out. It's not just about EA's opinion and has good points that have been argued on these threads for months.

No, there aren't really any good points in that article.

Mass Effect 3 is advertised as the thrilling conclusion of a trilogy. Maybe not how to appeal to a Nintendo audience when they would need the first two games to get excited about the end. It was released on the Wii U half a year after it was out on all other systems which means it was old enough to make sure everyone with any interest in it would already have played it. On top of that they charged full price for a 6 month old game. That game was also one of the main factors in promoting EA to its evil status due to the ending. An ending so bad people sued and donated money thinking they were going to force EA to change it.

So Mass Effect 3 not being successful on the Wii U? Yeah, that's something we could have guessed would happen.

"Wii U is a kiddy console and we don't like kids" is an argument that has been tossed around this forum a lot, but it's not a good point just because a good deal have said it before.

A good reason to abandon Wii U is that it's simply not meeting expectations of either Nintendo or third party developers. Good games have failed to make a profit, even Nintendo's own powerhouse titles are failing to meet expectations.

There are good reasons not to develop for Wii U, but those reasons aren't present in this article.

I don't like EA, but don't act so surprised. The WiiU was dead on arrival. Outdated Tech trying to compete with next (now current) gen and PC.

They failed to get good exclusives to pretty much force people into buying it and now many of the big companies don't want to touch it and the indies can't afford to develop for this thing, because there is no user base.....

Well, EA youre death to me anyway :D
But they got a point, however Bethesda's Pete Hines resumed it much better and without being an asshole:

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out.
You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time. It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint.
You have to spend an unbelieveable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it - well, no! No is my answer!
I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work."

"It became a kids IP platform and we don't really make games for kids."

No, you just make games for 13 year olds.

I am still annoyed by the catch-22 that the WiiU is in, but speaking as a PCGamer, not hugely annoyed, as it barely has anything to do with me.

However, it is sad to know that the WiiU is at its current state, that, coupled with the 3DS and that Fusion-thing, shows that Nintendo need to focus and get their act together.

It feels like they are trying to alleviate the problems of past products by creating new ones, which is not a wise decision.

It also doesn't help that EA are being douches about this.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Aiddon:
Did he SERIOUSLY just use "kids" as a pejorative?

This is all it took from me to switch off.

What a twat.

That was a pretty interesting read.

Looks like Nintendo has their work cut out for them if they want to turn their console luck around. It's likely already too late for the Wii-U though. The fact that they sold more Wii-U's in the first 7 weeks than in the following year is pretty dismal.

How long until people from the mobile division start transferring over onto the WiiU team at Nintendo? Those guys have actually been delivering. Between exclusives, the launch of a no-3d version of the 3ds that fits a rather interesting niche, and, let's face it, Pokemon, that part of the company has had a good year.

Games like X and mario games (Smash & Kart) will sell the wii u

Kmadden2004:

Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort, could never do big business,

You mean the year-old, third game in a trilogy which hinged on its continuing story and didn't see any of its previous instalments on any previous Nintendo consoles didn't sell particularly well on the new nintendo console?

Say it ain't so.

Don't forget that the game was $60 on release while EA also released the whole trilogy 2-3 weeks before for 40-50$ on the PS3. And it was a bad port with many problems and huge FPS drops.

The one responsible for that bullshit should be fired.

Pretty much every 3rd party release was a problematic port of a over a year old game, sold at the full price while on other platforms it was $20 or less.
The only good port was Deus Ex, but even then they sold it for $50 (iirc) while you could have gotten the game on PC for $10. The exclusive content that was supposed to sell the game was released on other platforms, which pretty much defeated the purpose of the WiiU version. Pretty much every Nintendo fan has also another platform (usually PC). They would just get the game on PC and get a better experience.

It's depressing that Nintendo pushed back their 1st party titles to give some free space to 3rd party only for them to sell bad ports at full price. The WiiU had a over 6 months long game drought. Instead of abusing that and releasing some games which are bound to sell, publisher completely ignored it. Hell, idiots like Ubisoft even pushed back game to the 4Q of the year to compete with CoD, Mario and other hard seller. Rayman was ready to be released in April only to be delayed for no reason. The only real competition for sales at that time was freaking MonHun.

There is quite a bit of Nintendo's fault for the current situation, but the 3rd party devs are to blame as well. They didn't even try to make proper games. They have no right to complain.

No one right in their mind would buy a bugged port of a 3rd game of a trilogy if they can get the whole trilogy for less and with less problems.

Also EA not making kids games. Right. Because the average Battlefield user isn't 15 year old.
And lets completely ignore all the kids friendly games that EA made.

The problem with Mass Effect 3 and other third party games is the price. Mass Effect 3 (already screwed since no Nintendo platform had parts 1 and 2 on it) cost more and came out later than on the other two systems.

The same shenanigans happened with Deus Ex: HR. The complete version comes out on all three but is 20 dollars more on Wii U. The reasoning is that the game hadn't been on Wii U before so its new. Ugh..

reiniat:
Well, EA youre death to me anyway :D
But they got a point, however Bethesda's Pete Hines resumed it much better and without being an asshole:

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long past. The box is out.
You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time. It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint.
You have to spend an unbelieveable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it - well, no! No is my answer!
I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work."

And even with all that support, they still release their games with horrible, horrible bugs.

That's funny, EA. You've been dead to the gaming community way longer than the WiiU's lifespan.

It's pretty apparent by now that EA suffers from tunnel vision/brain damage due to their ongoing catering to the white teenage male douche-bag demographic and its one of many issues that will eventually kill this company. But you can't ignore the dire situation Nintendo is in right now. They need to make major changes to get them out of the predicament they're in right now before its too late.

I can't help but wonder if the lack of 3rd party games is due to Nintendo's actions or is this a conspiracy from other companies wanting to destroy Nintendo for the companies past actions (I.E. their iron fist rule during the cartridge era and their dick movie towards Sony that led to the rise of the Playstation)? I know the latter sounds very paranoid but this whole "Fuck you, got mine" mentally of the games industry is not helping either side win. This is only bringing us one step closer to another market crash if things continue to go south for everyone.

you don't develop for kids? you try to get chunks of that big juicy cod-cake for years, EA and that cake is marketed at kids to a sickening degree.

and fuck EA

If companies stopped burning these bridges, perhaps more consumers would be inclined to live on the island.

...I'm still working on that metaphor, but I think it has potential.

Sources frequently say publicly that they'll stop producing for the Wii U because of poor sales. Even if it's true, it's the kind of thing that should be kept quiet. The consumer loses faith in gaming potential on the machine, and sales become poor. It's a cycle that hurts both parties.

I'm amazed that none of these publishers though to put low cost titles out for the wii-u, I mean, if all their complaints are that it's low power, then make simpler games for it, cheaper to produce and sell for a bit less, as a backup to the ever ballooning budgets that the other consoles seem to be demanding.

but no, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

Substitute EA for Acclaim.

PMAvers:

Substitute Acclaim for EA.

Acclaim was so nice they stopped existing. Now if EA could do the same.

I don't see why 'kid' is that bad a term to refer to what is a bunch of... under aged brats. Twerps even. Why bother to really focus on a segment of the market that has no money, no jobs, and are pretty much a small population when there is a bigger market composed of teens, young adults, and a growing number of late 20's, 30's, and older gamers out there. So yes, focusing on E rating games is not a safe bet, not when people actually want to have something with more depth to it than you can get in a family friendly title.

That is all EA is really saying here. They and a number of others have decided to go after the markets that actually have the money to buy a game and any other parts that accompany that. Till a child can actually legally enjoy the a game rated pegi-13/teen rated game... it is a better investment to ignore them or let smaller/more narrow focused developers worry about them instead of alienating the older audiences with a watered down product.

Now, do I support EA most of the time? No... but I understand where they are coming from. Nintendo just doesn't appeal on any lasting level due to games that are relatively light on anything you might expect from young adult or adult oriented entertainment.

Then again, we could all just jump on the nintendo bandwagon in terms of games and have bland, brightly colored games with shallow stories compared to any other form of entertainment... like proper drama or suspense or intrigue... that is what we are to accept from 1st party nintendo dreck.

They have brought this upon themselves... it is just a matter of time before someone from all the major 3rd party studios come forward and say say some version of 'Nintendo just doesn't have anything that we want... except kids... and we can find those snot nosed brats anywhere... they are a dime a dozen.'

As much as I don't like EA and the way they've chosen to word their arguments toward not making games for the WiiU...unfortunately it isn't just them that has this attitude.

Since this is the internet and many people can make the same point in a far better way than I: I'm going to post this link since it seems relevant to what EA is talking about:

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-special-fate-nintendo

"Even the Mass Effect title on Wii U, which was a solid effort..."

Ha! Ha ha ha. Wow, good one, EA. I needed a laugh.

Aiddon:

Games. Are. Toys. They should ALWAYS be aimed at the young...

Seems to me like gaming needs to grow up.

my first instinct to quote you came from that first line up there that is just filled with wrongness. games STARTED as toys aimed at the young, but that is no longer the case. that being said, obviously there's still a place for children's games, but all he said is that they aren't in that market, which is fair.

jesus dude, you have me defending EA now...

anyways, i included that second quoted line because in the same paragraph you say that they should always be aimed at the young and also need to grow up. so i pose this question to you... DAFUK?! that's like the Giant's spawn conditions in Minecraft, both can't be simultaneously true. (look up the reference if needed.)

I know that apparently 3rd party devs developing for Nintendo is a pain in the ass but I'm still going to get on EA for this because they're so slimy that they can't stay still on a decision for two days before back peddling on it. "Nintendo is dead to us! Wait no they aren't. Wait yes they are." EA doesn't have an opinion, it just says what it thinks people want to hear.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here