Update: Rumor: Ubisoft Cancels Wii U Version of Watch_Dogs

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Update: Rumor: Ubisoft Cancels Wii U Version of Watch_Dogs

Watch Dogs 1

GameStop Italy is apparently telling customers that the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs has been cancelled.

With Nintendo revising its sales projections drastically due to the Wii U under-performing during the holidays, it's safe to say 2014 hasn't been rolling the company's way. Unfortunately, the bad news keep on coming it seems, as the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs might have been canned. According to Italian video game site Wiitalia, GameStop Italy is now telling customers that the Wii U version of Ubisoft's open world action game is no more and to move their pre-order to another game.

To add further veracity to the site's rumor, Wiitalia contacted a few GameStop stores and were told Watch_Dogs is not available for pre-order because it was cancelled by Ubisoft and was not available in the store's database.

Is this a case of GameStop Italy's database giving out erroneous info to people or is this a case of the retailer jumping the gun when it comes to the game's cancellation announcement? In any case, treat this one as a rumor for now and we've reached out to Ubisoft to ask for confirmation and will update the post once they've replied.

In other Nintendo news, an anonymous EA source has claimed Nintendo was "dead" to them after the Wii U launch -- something EA COO Peter Moore has publicly denied.

Source: Wiitalia via NeoGAF

Update: According to GameStop Italy and a source from Kotaku, cancelled pre-orders for Watch_Dogs on the Wii U were a "glitch in the system," and that the title can now be pre-ordered once more. If so, this means all that doom 'n gloom talk regarding the Wii U is a bit premature, thankfully.

I imagine EA may not even be able to justify the porting costs for games to the Wii U, especially when you consider that most of those Wii U sales are very likely to be people who would've bought it on other platforms.

Is that wedding bells?

No, wait, its the church requiem bell at Nintendo's funeral. Again. Seems like they have a funeral every week.

I better get there quickly before they bury Nintendo for the 7th billion time.

I wonder, do people dig up Nintendo to beat the corpse again every week or does the Nintendo zombie dig its way back out?

Things only die once. I never seen any company take a repeated beating like Nintendo does. Even Microsoft's beating is small scale compared to Nintendo.

Will this doom and gloom stick? Who the hell knows. What I do know is that Nintendo dun goofed like Sony dun goofed with the PS3. Maybe they will salvage it. Maybe they won't.

But if they don't so something soon, the Wii U will drain Nintendo's war chest. Which wasn't that big in the first place when you consider modern costs of tech.

Oh hey another Nintendoomed article, not like we've had enough of those for a week and a half already.

Dtoid was like that last week so i'm going to assume the same here.

To be frank I hope WD fails just so it bites Ubisoft in the ass, they were once at Nintendo's side at the start and then out of nowhere left them out to dry.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
No third party games,
On the Wii U?

Questionably funny cynicism aside, poor Nintendo fans. These threads can't be fun.

Shadow-Phoenix:

To be frank I hope WD fails just so it bites Ubisoft in the ass, they were once at Nintendo's side at the start and then out of nowhere left them out to dry.

And by out of nowhere you mean after they repeatedly lost millions trying to support the platform with games. I don't get why people are taking this so personally, it's not Ubisoft spiting the Wii U but you have to be insane to continually throw cash at a platform that almost guarantees it's going to be wasted.

They made what was lauded as one of the best launch titles for the platform and it couldn't even sell a million units. this isn't Ubisoft hating on the Wii U, this is the Wii U sucking.

And if Nintendo's response to the third-parties was to hate them for Nintendo's own failure, then next time when no-one even wants to try to help Nintendo's platform it's going to be completely justified

I am waiting for something official before I trust this completely, several GameStops in Italy isn't something I would determine as a very reliable source. If this is true then that's a shame, I was considering buying it on either PC or Wii U. I guess this might make that choice easy.

Yeah, these are some rough days for Nintendo and us fans. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon on these doom articles, but there are simply so many of them that it's clear that Nintendo is going to have an upwards battle ahead of them.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Oh hey another Nintendoomed article, not like we've had enough of those for a week and a half already.

Well what are they supposed to do, not report it everytime the Wii-U suffers another major blow?

And if this is true, then that's one hell of a giant bloody gutshot to the system. It might as well pack up if it is.

Oh man, if this is true...Ubisoft was one of the few big names to regularly support the Wii U, it doesn't look great at all if even they are dropping support.

Hopefully this isn't true, because they could have done some neat Gamepad-exclusive stuff too.

Isn't this sort of thing exactly what happened with the Wii? It's third party support was pretty much nonexistent. We literally came to a point where someone said something was multiplatform and you automatically assumed they were talking PS3 and 360 only. Seems we're going that way with the Wii U.

And no matter how much the Nintendo Defense Force wants to claim otherwise, Nintendo needs third party support. The Wii managed success because it was new, unique and could be fun even to non gamers. Nintendo has failed in many ways with the Wii U. Not the least of which were naming and advertising. It's a bad sign when even a gamer like myself didn't know what the Wii U console looked like even a year after it's launch. I've never had that problem in the past.

Is Nintendo on it's last legs? No, I don't think so. But they seriously need to turn around the Wii U somehow (you can't rely on the 3DS exclusively). If things continue like this, they may have to look at some serious changes. And losing a rather high profile game like Watch Dogs, can't help, if this turns out to be true. The only thing worse than losing this would probably be losing X.

Of course, the Wii U seems like it could have really supported Watch Dogs easily since they were pushing the Smart Glass thing and the Wii U has that covered with the controller. Seems like they built the game with that in mind, actually.

Casual Shinji:
Well what are they supposed to do, not report it everytime the Wii-U suffers another major blow?

Well, they could wait until it was beyond "several Gamestops in Italy say so."

I don't think that's particularly unreasonable.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Dtoid was like that last week so i'm going to assume the same here.

They were basicly the only western third party publisher (that and Warner Brothers Games) that released anything worth while even on the Wii so you really cant complaint that they are leaving Nintendo out to dry, I am suprised they didnt left a lot earlier to be honest.

While it may be too late for Nintendo to become the viggest console in the new generation, they can still manage to become profitable. I'm still hoping that they can manahe to find their own niche between Sony and Ms. I don't want a wiiU to play shooters and on-rails narrative rollercoasters, i want condensed gameplay and niche titles, i hope it in some way could be possible to find an audience in that direction.

That's interesting. I just went to the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs on the Italian Gamestop's site and it says you can pre-order still. http://www.gamestop.it/WiiU/Games/31775

So either was a glitch or a mistake from the Italian Gamestop people. Also, 70.98 Euros? That seems very expensive to me, and sheesh, just looked up the exchange rate... That's nearly $100 US.

Not sure. Can the WiiU handle it, especially after seeing what the 360 version looked like? Though the tablet pad the WiiU has would be perfect for this game.

or, y'know, it's the far less interesting but also more logical conclusion: just a temporary glitch in the system since most other retailers still have it up. Especially since cancelling the Wii U version would just be spitting in Nintendo's face on Ubisoft's account. Not exactly great from a political standpoint

Considering that the last game that Ubisoft released for the wiiu was Assassins Creed 4, you can not say that they have left nintendo out to dry. Besides, Watchdogs is still listed on the official Ubisoft website.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=wiiu

Fun fact, as of January 11 on the wiiu Assassins Creed 4 only sold around 120,000 units world wide.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71748/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/
So yeah, people just aren't buying 3rd party games on the wiiu (if wonderful 101s 140,000 world wide sales are any indicator). Hell Ubisoft is bout the only one still doing what they can to make money on that system.

Even then I said it before and I will say it again, people do not seem to want 3rd party games on the wiiu.

rapidoud:
I imagine EA may not even be able to justify the porting costs for games to the Wii U, especially when you consider that most of those Wii U sales are very likely to be people who would've bought it on other platforms.

This is Ubisoft. But perhaps you were talking about the quote at the bottom where an anonymous EA source said the WiiU was dead to them post launch?

However, this game was supposed to be VERY close to launch. How is it that they haven't already ported the engine over? It's true that x86 for the new consoles is a piece of cake but the ps3 and 360 are both uniquely different (360 being the obviously easy one). This would be a pure call on cost of porting if true. They may be mostly ported over but the amount of time and resources required to finish the job may not be considered worth their effort.

If this is true. If major developers are really pulling their titles this late in the cycle, then the WiiU is pulling a dreamcast. Thankfully, Nintendo is poised to try again unlike Sega who had two failure in a row, the Saturn being even worse.

LordOfInsanity:
That's interesting. I just went to the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs on the Italian Gamestop's site and it says you can pre-order still. http://www.gamestop.it/WiiU/Games/31775

So either was a glitch or a mistake from the Italian Gamestop people. Also, 70.98 Euros? That seems very expensive to me, and sheesh, just looked up the exchange rate... That's nearly $100 US.

The site may be behind. But that's a good link.

kiri2tsubasa:
Even then I said it before and I will say it again, people do not seem to want 3rd party games on the wiiu.

Excellent point. The first non-Nintendo best seller on the WiiU is ZombieU (a Ubisoft title) which only sold around 630k. The next non-Nintendo title was a 300k Selling Sega game.

These are terrible failures. Ubisoft actually has 5 of the top 20 sellers on the WiiU and all except the first are well under 300k. Even their "Just Dance 2014" which absolutely killed in the versions released in the Wii. But not here. The top 5 selling games (all Nintendo) account for more than 50% of all the WiiU software sold to date. This is a year out. The PS4 by contrast is already half way there.

I would go one step further and said that the WiiU itself, is already cancelled as well.

Zachary Amaranth:

Casual Shinji:

Pretty much this.

Gaming journalism is getting almost as ridiculous as real journalism. Rumors are being passed around as 100% confirmed "news", and it's been especially bad lately because of how many of these rumors have been confirmed as being wrong. It reflects even more poorly on our "journalists" when they report on things without any evidence of their validity.

Reminds me of a certain South Park clip. "No, we haven't actually seen any of those things, we're just reporting it."

Zachary Amaranth:

Casual Shinji:

Every news site generally wants to be the first to spill the beans though. And with "several Gamestops" claiming the exact same thing in the current light that the Wii-U is in, it's not too strange the Escapist finds it a worthy story. Whether it be rumor or not. And let's hope for Nintendo it is.

Casual Shinji:
Every news site generally wants to be the first to spill the beans though.

I know. And that's how gaming journalism (and journalism in general) has devolved into clickbait and isolated lines removed from context.

CriticKitten:

Zachary Amaranth:

Casual Shinji:

Pretty much this.

Gaming journalism is getting almost as ridiculous as real journalism. Rumors are being passed around as 100% confirmed "news", and it's been especially bad lately because of how many of these rumors have been confirmed as being wrong. It reflects even more poorly on our "journalists" when they report on things without any evidence of their validity.

Reminds me of a certain South Park clip. "No, we haven't actually seen any of those things, we're just reporting it."

and WHOOPS! It's still listed on the Gamestop Italy website:

http://playeressence.com/gamestop-italy-is-still-take-pre-orders-on-watch-dogs-for-wii-u/

I think it's about time we need to stop jumping to conclusions and wait a bit before actually talking about stuff like this. People are just so quick to jump the gun

kanetsb:
I would go one step further and said that the WiiU itself, is already cancelled as well.

Ho ho ho. So Fanny. That's ridiculous. There is no way they're just going to pull a Dreamcast and just up and say "we give up, we're done." Not even when it's costing them this much money. If they were to cancel the games they've said were in development but haven't been revealed, they just lost any chance of being successful in another console generation. They'll have majorly betrayed their fans, who bought the system based on the promises of those titles coming. They're better off losing tons of money than straight up damaging the Nintendo brand.

Aiddon:

http://playeressence.com/gamestop-italy-is-still-take-pre-orders-on-watch-dogs-for-wii-u/

I think it's about time we need to stop jumping to conclusions and wait a bit before actually talking about stuff like this. People are just so quick to jump the gun

Looks like it's time for major gaming journalism sites to learn about another aspect of journalism: the concept of a "retraction".

I'm tired of gaming websites reporting false news, and then backpedaling on "well it was just a rumor" whenever they print something that's blatantly false. It's time to insist that gaming journalism sites start posting formal retractions whenever they falsely report the "news".

CriticKitten:

Aiddon:

Looks like it's time for major gaming journalism sites to learn about another aspect of journalism: the concept of a "retraction".

I'm tired of gaming websites reporting false news, and then backpedaling on "well it was just a rumor" whenever they print something that's blatantly false. It's time to insist that gaming journalism sites start posting formal retractions whenever they falsely report the "news".

Funny thing is, looking at other gaming websites such as Joystiq, the removal and cancellation talk is all because of an error at Gamestop Italy. So the reactions calling that Nintendo's doomed, that this is a good thing, such such bad mouthing Wii U/Nintendo? Just the usual anti-Nintendo crowd throwing their weight over a rumor that was blatantly false if one were to look into it for a minute.

http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/23/nintendo-stock-returns-normal/

And some people STILL say gaming journalism isn't biased against Nintendo.

On topic though, Watch Dog's official site still shows the Wii U listed as one of the platforms the game will be on.

Caiphus:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
No third party games,
On the Wii U?

Questionably funny cynicism aside, poor Nintendo fans. These threads can't be fun.

NO THEY FREAKIN' AREN'T!

Seriously though, I was on the fence on which console I was going to get this on; No question, I want Watch Dogs but I was either going to get this sooner on the U or later on the PS4 (when the price drops etc). I'm hoping my choice wasn't made for me and if anything I'm suddenly compelled to see if I can pre-order a copy here in the states...or not...haven't pre-ordered anything since 2011 and I'm oddly proud of that.

VG_Addict:
http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/23/nintendo-stock-returns-normal/

And some people STILL say gaming journalism isn't biased against Nintendo.

On topic though, Watch Dog's official site still shows the Wii U listed as one of the platforms the game will be on.

This helped...hopefully Watch Dogs will stay on as a U title but as we've seen before, Colonial Marines was pushed back until it toppled off of a cliff (maybe that was a good thing though) and, Crysis 3 was ready to be pressed to Wii U discs before EA said "Hell No, Wii won't Go"

LordOfInsanity:

Funny thing is, looking at other gaming websites such as Joystiq, the removal and cancellation talk is all because of an error at Gamestop Italy. So the reactions calling that Nintendo's doomed, that this is a good thing, such such bad mouthing Wii U/Nintendo? Just the usual anti-Nintendo crowd throwing their weight over a rumor that was blatantly false if one were to look into it for a minute.

No kidding; I know January is a SLOOOOOOOOW news month, but people can't be THIS starved for distractions, can they? You'd think they would find far more interesting things to do with their time instead of blowing up what amounted to a computer error

Well, I'm glad this turned out to be false (by all accounts in this thread).

If this happened, I wouldn't be able to go to work. One of my co-workers would have killed everyone.

Who is going to make games aimed at kids if nintendo dies? No, really. Who?

Almost every AAA developer out there right now that isn't under nintendo's wing is making M rated games. If it's not a massive sandbox game, it's either some gritty fuckin' zombie shooter with crafting because minecraft had crafting and therefore every game every must now feature crafting for no reason or it's a military shooter. And while I don't hate those genres, I still like games like Donkey Kong and Banjo and Metroid (Didn't have mario as a kid. Or pokemon except for pokemon snap and the TV show). Who is going to make those kinds of games if nintendo goes under?

I'm just saying I don't see many good kid friendly games coming to the Xbox One or 360 or PS3 or PS4. Maybe rayman? I don't know. But if nintendo dies, what's going to stop the industry from turning into a sequel machine for zombie shooters, regular shooters, and heavy rain?

BrotherRool:

Shadow-Phoenix:

And by out of nowhere you mean after they repeatedly lost millions trying to support the platform with games. I don't get why people are taking this so personally, it's not Ubisoft spiting the Wii U but you have to be insane to continually throw cash at a platform that almost guarantees it's going to be wasted.

They made what was lauded as one of the best launch titles for the platform and it couldn't even sell a million units. this isn't Ubisoft hating on the Wii U, this is the Wii U sucking.

And if Nintendo's response to the third-parties was to hate them for Nintendo's own failure, then next time when no-one even wants to try to help Nintendo's platform it's going to be completely justified

You mean the crappy Zombi U game where they said it wasn't profitable, but it actually was?

Or do you mean the shitty Mario Party clone?

Or perhaps you meant Rayman? Which was 0.27 million sold on Wii U(Despite Ubisoft spitting in Wii U owners faces)
0.23 million on XBox 360(Remind me again, how big is the 360 install base compared to Wii U)
0.4 million on the Vita(well, the Vita's install base is about the same size as the Wii U's.)
or 0.30 million on PS3.

That's right, they've got more then triple the install base, yet only sold 0.3 million more. xD

kiri2tsubasa:
Considering that the last game that Ubisoft released for the wiiu was Assassins Creed 4, you can not say that they have left nintendo out to dry. Besides, Watchdogs is still listed on the official Ubisoft website.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=wiiu

Fun fact, as of January 11 on the wiiu Assassins Creed 4 only sold around 120,000 units world wide.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/71748/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/
So yeah, people just aren't buying 3rd party games on the wiiu (if wonderful 101s 140,000 world wide sales are any indicator). Hell Ubisoft is bout the only one still doing what they can to make money on that system.

Well, in their defense, a lot of Wii U multi-play third party games had less content then the 360/PS3 version. Kinda can't blame Wii U owners for feeling burned.

I mean, tell me honestly, would you pay 60$ for a game that's not as good as the PS3/360 version, not because of your consoles hardware, but because of the company making the port?

Not saying all the multi-plats are missing things, but yeah, people might doubt the value of the multi-plat games, because of past instances where features are missing.

Racecarlock:
Who is going to make games aimed at kids if nintendo dies? No, really. Who?

Almost every AAA developer out there right now that isn't under nintendo's wing is making M rated games. If it's not a massive sandbox game, it's either some gritty fuckin' zombie shooter with crafting because minecraft had crafting and therefore every game every must now feature crafting for no reason or it's a military shooter. And while I don't hate those genres, I still like games like Donkey Kong and Banjo and Metroid (Didn't have mario as a kid. Or pokemon except for pokemon snap and the TV show). Who is going to make those kinds of games if nintendo goes under?

I'm just saying I don't see many good kid friendly games coming to the Xbox One or 360 or PS3 or PS4. Maybe rayman? I don't know. But if nintendo dies, what's going to stop the industry from turning into a sequel machine for zombie shooters, regular shooters, and heavy rain?

Pretty much this. I decided to go Nintendo this gen because I was tired of all the derivative crap that was coming out for the 360 and PS3 and didn't have faith that either of those consoles' successor would provide anything different. I'd rather a few fun, well made, colourful games than a thousand grey-brown "Next-gen" shooters.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here