Titanfall Won't Have Micro-Transactions, According to Respawn

Titanfall Won't Have Micro-Transactions, According to Respawn

Titanfall 1

Respawn confirms Titanfall won't have micro-transactions, and there's still no news on a Season Pass.

While most games these days have micro-transactions and DLC ready to be purchased before the actual game's out, that won't be the case with Titanfall -- at least not yet. Over on Twitter, the official Respawn account has revealed that Titanfall won't have micro-transactions and that the studio doesn't have any news on a Season Pass.

no microtransactions. I don't have any news on a season pass

Of course, this doesn't mean there won't be micro-transactions released ever, just that there's nothing planned now. Honestly, what's surprising to me is that Respawn nor EA has announced a Season Pass for Titanfall, since the business model fits right in with multiplayer shooters. Unless map packs and DLC aren't in the cards, which is highly unlikely.

In other Titanfall news, Respawn claims criticisms regarding the shooter's 6 vs. 6 match limitations are based on assumptions. Earlier in the week, we also found out how load-outs for both Pilots and Titans work, too.

Do you think Titanfall won't have micro-transactions or EA just hasn't implemented it yet?

Source: Twitter via MP1st

You know that the industry is in a sad state for consumers when developers have to confirm to us that there won't be microtransactions in a game that already costs full price...

It is sad, but I am glad they aren't going that route hopefully this will be a hugely successful game and help gaming companies realize that microtransactions aren't the great thing they think they are. (btw I'm mostly talking about the marketing departments)

I'll believe that when I see it. It's being published by EA after all.

Doesn't meant there wont be a metric ton of DLC, sure there might not be weapon skin packs or its ill but they just could add tons of macro transactions like map parks

It will just be a 300 hour progression treadmill instead. Yay.

No microtransactions OR season pass? EA is up to something really fishy here.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time EA outright lied about their games *cough simcity cough*

Genocidicles:

Yep, same. I gather Season Pass or map packs are a lock for a shooter like this one, no?

Season passes don't fit right in for me. I'm not buying a game twice. I'd rather wait for the complete edition a year later.

"Instead we are pioneering a new parodyne in game-consumer interaction. Macrotransactions! Now you'll be expected to fork over no less than a double digit dollar value for all DLC, including the limited edition 'Texturepack' addon that adds textures on objects into the game!"

Wow, this must be the first major release that doesn't have either for a really long time. There is probably going to be some DLC, but I don't mind that.

Glad it doesn't do micro trans but I'm hoping to god it doesn't do any season pass bullshit, the game has me hooked and I don't want to have to pay more money in order to enjoy a game.

Well that might be your plan but master EA hasn't cracked it's last whip now has he, I wouldn't for a second think they intend to deliver anything close to the full package for the low price of 60$.

Well, that's one step in the right direction.

Next step: making sure that new multi-player maps are released for free.

So thats a thing now huh?Developers have to explicitly state that there will NOT be microtransactions,thats how common it is.
Whatever happened to boasting about game features?I remeber back-of-the-box blurbs saying that there will be better graphics or more tits,possibly more guns - this is getting ridiculous
I dont partake in the AAA gaming..thing since I cant afford it but it seems its now standard to release a game costing 60$ and having the features of a shite F2P game where 99% of the content is only open for the good little boys and girls with nothing better to do with limited control of their parents income than spending it on a game with the lifetime of about two weeks

Sight Unseen:
You know that the industry is in a sad state for consumers when developers have to confirm to us that there won't be microtransactions in a game that already costs full price...

I was thinking precisely this when I saw the title of this story.

It's like a restaurant putting a sign in the window that says "Our food is not made of diseased rats".

The sort of thing that we should really be able to assume without worry.

I don't mind DLC so much if it's actual value like expansion packs in the past, but microtransactions absolutely do not belong inside of a fully priced AAA game.

Weaver:
It will just be a 300 hour progression treadmill instead. Yay.

well, in a muliplayer game you supposedly enjoy, 300 progression isnt a bad thing. you always got something to look up for and meanwhile you can enjoy yourself havign fun already. If it turns into 300 hours of borin grinding - then yes it will be bad. but ive played games who probably would take 3000 hours to unlck everything if not more and i managed to enjoy myself a lot with things i unlocked in 10 hours. in fact these thins are more enjoyable than the thing i unlocked after 200 hours so yeah.

Genocidicles:

Considering what EA did to Dead Space 3, I'll join you in the chorus of skepticism.

Ed130:

Genocidicles:

Considering what EA did to Dead Space 3, I'll join you in the chorus of skepticism.

Consider me in as well.

Now, I'm conflicted. I actually hate the BS game EA and Microsoft played where they signed a exclusivity contract without the development team even knowing about it. But I don't want the team to suffer for something that is out of their control. I also want a AAA title that seems to shun micro-transactions (currently seems very minimal on PS4) to succeed. If only to prevent developers from thinking they "need" micro-transactions rather than thinking that there was some other mistake.

I guess I can only hope that it does well on PC and poorly on the Xbone. That way I get the best of both. Supporting the developer and punishing shitty business practices.

Ed130:

Genocidicles:

Not to forget Microsoft and their role in this. After all, every Xbox One Exclusive had micro-transactions. I heard Crimson Dragon was basically unplayable without paying for some of them. Ryse and Forza also had them. Then again, that wasn't Microsoft's influence at all. All those companies made that call on their own. You believe that, right?

Sight Unseen:

Indeed. The point we have reached in the console space is a sad reflection of how much publishers hate the consumer and are willing to undermine their game for a few extra pennies. I would explain AGAIN why micro transactions are such an insult but I'm tired, I'm just so tired of this shit. The companies doing this know they are bad. They do it anyway merely to fuck us over.

I won't buy any of the new systems until this issue is sorted out. I have enough games in my backlog on steam to last out my lifetime. Any defense of the pricing model of games like Ryse or games that use an overpriced season pass system like Call of Duty Ghosts is simply the delusion of someone trying to justify their purchase.

Games on the Xbone and to a lesser extent the PS4 are, on the whole, a terrible deal right now.

Of course not, it will have Macro-transactions. Oh yeah, I went there.

Yeah, yeah... Wait until EA puts the all-mighty content cutting scissors to work. After they do their job, Tittanfall will have at least two pre-order bonus packs and four DLC packs all ready to go even before the game is out.

What I find distressing is that this actually has to be specified as opposed to just being standard.

Shadow-Phoenix:
Glad it doesn't do micro trans but I'm hoping to god it doesn't do any season pass bullshit, the game has me hooked and I don't want to have to pay more money in order to enjoy a game.

Same. Though, a decently sized bit of DLC or an expansion pack might be a purchase for me, provided the content is hefty and the price is low. (and the core game is good enough to warrant further content)

Though, it fascinates me that people are assuming there will be a bevy of superfluous, money-grubbing "features" tacked on to the game, simply because EA is publishing it.

Yes, EA is publishing the game. They do not, however, have any involvement with the production of the game. Respawn is, presumably, retaining some amalgam of autonomy in design.

This is not to say EA won't force Respawns hand and require them to tack something ludicrous onto the front-end of the game. After all, they've already forced the game onto Origin, so something further could be a possibility. Nor does it mean Respawn themselves won't add something themselves. However, we're not likely to see anything egregious on the back-end of the game; as is somewhat evident by their claiming an absence of microtransactions.

This is all subject to change, of course. We'll find out the truth in March.

Saltyk:
Now, I'm conflicted. I actually hate the BS game EA and Microsoft played where they signed a exclusivity contract without the development team even knowing about it. But I don't want the team to suffer for something that is out of their control. I also want a AAA title that seems to shun micro-transactions (currently seems very minimal on PS4) to succeed. If only to prevent developers from thinking they "need" micro-transactions rather than thinking that there was some other mistake.

I guess I can only hope that it does well on PC and poorly on the Xbone. That way I get the best of both. Supporting the developer and punishing shitty business practices.

Wouldn't that be a glorious outcome?

Not only would it show that micro-transactions and ludicrously overpriced DLC packs aren't needed, and that exclusivity deals are fruitless, and that the XboxOne isn't as viable as they'd hoped, but it would also show that the PC is, indeed, gaining in popularity and prevalence.

'Course, all of that would likely fly right over the execs at Microsoft and EA. They'd probably just chalk up the game's release as a flop.

"We boldly declare that we will not shoot ourselves in the foot."

Alternatively

"I don't want to stab myself in the stomach, that shit hurts."

We don't have microtransactions. Just DLC. You know, small purchase points for game content we held back so we can charge you more on top of the $60 you paid up front. Totally not microtransactions. Totally.

Uh huh yeah sure...

Sorry respawn but your game is being published by Micro$oft and EA two of the biggest money sinks in the industry, and infamous for microtransactions, I really won't believe it until I see it,

Also its pretty damn sad when this is actually a big deal for a Triple A game...

Oh well Your game is an Origin Exclusive meaning I can't GoG or Steam it so yeah... kind of lost interest right there...

Also Excuse me but even if it doesn't you'll find some other BS way to shoehorn in pay walls,

if its not microtransactions it will be 20$ skin pack DLC or some other way OverPriced garbage

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here