Doctor Who Gets His New Costume

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Doctor Who Gets His New Costume

Doctor Who Peter Capaldi Costume

Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi won't look as quirky as Matt Smith, but he'll make an impression all the same.

One of the constants of Doctor Who, outside of companions, Daleks, and time travel, is the theme of regeneration. Every few seasons, the Doctor's mind and body undergoes a metamorphosis, creating a new identity with all the memories of previous incarnations. In other words, it's not enough that Peter Capaldi will be the new Doctor, he has to have a new appearance and personality to boot. While he have to wait to see the personality in action, Capaldi's costume has been revealed, and it looks more straightforward than Tom Baker with a scarf or Matt Smith in a bow tie.

Designed by Doctor Who costume head Howard Burden, the new outfit is a dark blue coat with red lining and matching pants, complemented with a simple white shirt and Dr Marten shoes. It looks a little more stylish than the usual "whatever's-in-the-closet" approaches of previous Doctors, but I expect Capaldi will stand out no matter what time period he takes it to.

Capaldi himself described the outfit as "rebellious", which I'm assuming is a good thing. "He's woven the future from the cloth of the past," Capaldi said. "Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord'."

Source: Metro

Oh YES!!!! John Pertwee with dash of mod. Fan-bloody-tastic!

Is he wearing a white tie or does he just have the shirt buttoned all the way up? It seems odd that that is the thing I find strange considering some other things he has worn in past lives.

CriticalMiss:
Is he wearing a white tie or does he just have the shirt buttoned all the way up? It seems odd that that is the thing I find strange considering some other things he has worn in past lives.

It's just the shirt, although I'm not sure whether it is buttoned all the way up or if it's just the angle.

Either way, that is an awesome outfit.

HAH. I knew it was going to be a black suit. He looks kinda like a suave vampire-magician in that outfit.

Haha, I like it! I like it a lot. Nice and simple, and sharp too, with just a nice hint of red.

Looks OK. I just hope the writers let him act as old as he looks. (Well almost as old since he looks about 70)

I like it.

A lot of people are saying he should have a tie or bow tie. Nyeh! I've seen enough ties and bowties! Not having a tie is pretty symbolic too.

Very Pertwee! I like it a lot!

Bring on the cosplays!

Snappy, I like it. Here's hoping he's the breath of fresh air for the series that he looks to be.

EeveeElectro:
I like it.

A lot of people are saying he should have a tie or bow tie. Nyeh! I've seen enough ties and bowties! Not having a tie is pretty symbolic too.

What he needs to finish his new look is a fez, nothing more :D

Kinda looks like something a stage magician would wear, with the mandatory odd note of the doc martins (better to run in than proper dress shoes I Suppose). I like it

rofltehcat:

EeveeElectro:
I like it.

honestly?

I think he needs a top-hat

to finish off his time traveling magician vampire look.

I really like this costume. As others have said, it's very reminiscent of Jon Pertwee.

I'm really looking forward to see what Capaldi brings to the show.

I absolutely love it. Didn't think I would, but I do.

Total breath of fresh air.
As much as I've loved the madcap tendencies of 11 and 10 (11 convinced me that bowties were, indeed, cool) I'm really, really liking this total change in direction.
Or, rather, this back to basics approach.

'No messing' as Capaldi says.

Can't bloody wait.

rofltehcat:

EeveeElectro:
I like it.

I dunno; a fez has been done.

Maybe a snazzy beret?

He's looking quite spiffy.
I like it!
As others have said it reminiscent of Jon Pertwee's look, but more modern. I find it very interesting outfit choice.
Juuuusssttt needs one more thing though....

Is... Is that a Cravat?
Freaking. Love it.

Awesome to finally see Peter Capaldi's official look as the Doctor. He's looking very dapper in his new threads. Makes me think of Jon Pertwee but more subdued. Can't wait for the new season to start.

rofltehcat:

EeveeElectro:
I like it.

If you put him in fez or top hat he will look like Tommy Cooper. You can get away way with the fez if your in your 20s but older and more formally dressed and its going to be Tommy.

Very sharp, very sharp indeed...
Though a top hat and cane would also look awesome.

A cane that, instead of been able t pull a sword out of, it is where he keeps his sonic.

:treknod:

Yes, very nice.

Giving a bit of the 2nd and 7th feeling with that.

Hope to see him a bit less 'space hobo' and more 'galactic chess player'.

Not a fan of the red if I'm gonna be honest, makes him look like a second rate magician you would hire for your kids 5th birthday.

Why's he got it buttoned like that? Isn't it more traditional to do the middle button if one only wants one done up? He looks like he didn't get dressed correctly and will feel like a complete idiot once he gets to the local Stage Magician's Office.

Eh, I like it, simple but suave and classy. I'm not familiar with Peter Capaldi as an actor (due to me being American), but I'm eager to see how he pulls the role off.

luvd1:
Oh YES!!!! John Pertwee with dash of mod. Fan-bloody-tastic!

I thought the same thing too! :D

I like it but I hope he can run around in those dress shoes. As other's have said, it's classy but simple at the same time.

I absolutely love it.

The last two Docs dressed in varying shades of flamboyant, and while there's nothing wrong with that, this was a needed departure.

Objectable:
Is... Is that a Cravat?
Freaking. Love it.

It's not a Cravat. That's just the shirt - it's buttoned all the way up. There are no neckerchiefs in sight.

But, but... Bow ties are cool...

I for one will miss the quirky persona I've come to associate with Doctor who.

Also I'm gonna guess his favourite food won't be fish fingers and custard this time around. More like virgin blood.

Agayek:

Objectable:
Is... Is that a Cravat?
Freaking. Love it.

It's not a Cravat. That's just the shirt - it's buttoned all the way up. There are no neckerchiefs in sight.

...That's so disappointing.
MIles Edgeworth disapproves.

"I never forget a face."

"And in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few, the old favorites..."

Very classy.

kind of uninventive but i love it. reminds me a bit of of Jon Pertwee but blacker....wait, for the second half of Matt Smith's last season his clothes was inspired by Troughton's doctor. maybe, just maybe. the doctor is resetting....and going through an emo phase. oh my god, the doctor is having an emo phase!
Dear Steven Moffat. please please let the next doctor have a red and black scarf, i will love you forever if that happens.

Maybe it's just the way it looks in the photo, but... I dunno. The outfit feels off somehow.

Maybe it'll look better in the actual show, but for the time being it leaves something to be desired. Though I'm not sure what.

Ldude893:
HAH. I knew it was going to be a black suit. He looks kinda like a suave vampire-magician in that outfit.

it's navy blue btw, even says so in the article, but i'll admit the picture isn't exactly clear

OT: looks pretty awesome, although not sure about the shirt being buttoned up all the way with no tie, unless again, it's an unclear picture

I like it. It's awesome. It's simple, flattering, straightforwad, and practical. The shoes are practical, too.
Sometimes they ar'nt practical at all.

Thank goodness he did'nt end up with something like that crap Matt Smith wore to being with.
He looked like freaking Max Wall! And that bleeding overcutsey, tryhard crap with the fez and the bowtie! He never shut up about his bleeding bowtie and hat!
And I could'nt stand tenants stupid shoes. His outfit was good, apart from those awful, impractical, shoes!

The simpler and more practical, the better for outfits. The stupid outfits are just annoying and grindingly bad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here