Update: Sly Cooper Movie First Details and Screens Sneak Out

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Sly Cooper Movie First Details and Screens Sneak Out

The Sly Cooper movie has its plot synopsis revealed, along with the first screens showing Sly, Bentley and Murray.

Sony's Sly Cooper adventure platformer series will be hitting the big-screen in the form of a CGI-animated film due in 2016. Today, the movie's official Facebook page revealed the plot synopsis and screens showing us what Sly, Murray and Bentley will look like in the trio's film debut.

Sly Cooper is a kinetic and comedic heist film that tells the story of Sly Cooper, an orphaned raccoon thief, along with his childhood friends and partners in crime, Bentley Turtle and Murray Hippo. In the film, Sly learns of his birth family's secret legacy; that he comes from a long line of talented and international thieves. Endowed with this knowledge, Sly and his friends are catapulted into a global adventure as they race to reassemble pieces of an ancient book holding The Cooper Clan's family secrets before it can fall into the hands of Clockwerk - an evil Russian metallic owl bent on ending the Cooper family line. From romantic Parisian backdrops to the lush mountains of China, gritty film noir meets bright, colorful graphic novels in this origin story of the world's greatest thief-turned-hero.

From the looks of it, the plot won't deviate much from the first game's story -- though the same can't be said for Sly and company.

Set for release in 2016, the Sly Cooper movie will be developed by Studio Blockade Entertainment in conjunction with Rainmaker Entertainment, while Kevin Munroe will be directing the animated film based on his own screenplay.

Source: Facebook via NeoGAF

Update: The Official PlayStation Blog has just released the first teaser trailer for the animated film and has revealed that it will also be released in 3D.

Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"

How is this the first I'm hearing about this ? Nice to see a game adaptation at least try to stick to the original plot, although judging by the shot with Bentley in the van, they may be borrowing some elements from Sly 2.

What odd designs, a little too realistic for my tastes, that Sly looks kinda creepy.

momijirabbit:
Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"

Well, it isn't due out for two years so this is probably(read hopefully) early work. Sly does look a little... well "off". But he is supposed to be the young thief, just getting started so maybe thats why he looks a bit young. But I'm right with you on Murray, needs fixing pretty badly.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Sly Cooper to me always felt like more something for a tv show. The games basically are built upon many small heists building up to one overarching plot. I don't know if Sly and the gang can hold up a big movie. And not a huge fan of the style. It's not bad, but naturally when you take a cel-shaded cast and make them more realistic, it's going to be jarring. At least Sly looks better than in Playstation Move Heroes.

Another thing that feels funny is that this really looks like they're digging into the IP bin. Ratchet and Clank getting a movie I can understand as the games were quite popular this generation. Sly hasn't been doing much this generation other than a (decent) late generation game from a rookie studio that didn't sell great and received little marketing. I know Sly is a beloved Sony icon, but I am wondering WHY they chose him.

EDIT: Oh, and original cast plz. Kevin Miller, Matt Olson, and Chris Murphy practically ARE Sly, Bentley, and Murray. They seem to have so much chemistry too (look up their Sly Cooper skits on Miller's podcast. It's great lol)

First they made Sly and Carmelita outright 'old'-looking in Sly4, now this! This is dreadful. When I looked at the screens it made me wanna hurl!

Disgusting. Fucking disgusting. What's more is I called this too on the other topic with Ratchet & Clank.

Fuck this industry. I got stung quite badly enough with that stupid fucking fanwank "Thieves in time", and now this. I'm officially DONE with franchises.

You know, I'd wait to see how the Ratchet and Clank movie turns out before making a movie about another one of your mascots Sony. I mean, at least the Ratchet and Clank movie's animations actually look like the characters, mainly their Full Frontal Assault models, but the Sly just looks...weird. I'm reminded of a tall Rocket Raccoon when I see that Sly, and I'm pretty sure the Cooper Clan wasn't filled with psychos.

Oh, and if Clockwerk is messed up then I will be very upset, since Clockwerk was my favorite villain of the Sly series and I was very upset when:

I wouldn't mind this if it was the studio known for the games doing it. As it stands, I'm not sure if the Sony people making the movie have a good idea of what the games are all about, judging by the first bits. I'm not sure of the new looks, but the last thing they should be doing is trying to copy Dreamworks' style because reasons. Sly already has a style, and it wouldn't matter to me if they took Sucker Punch's or Sanzaru's look, as long as they kept things mostly the same.

I mean the Ratchet & Clank movie is being written by Insomniac and looks exactly like the games, so there's now a standard that this can be measured to. And right now the measurement is rather lacking. You make movies like this to cater to the people that played the games, and you're not catering to them if everything looks different and off.

Cid SilverWing:
Disgusting. Fucking disgusting. What's more is I called this too on the other topic with Ratchet & Clank.

Fuck this industry. I got stung quite badly enough with that stupid fucking fanwank "Thieves in time", and now this. I'm officially DONE with franchises.

at least the ratchet and clank movie looks authenic, like 'resident evil: degeneration'. You know, the game movie made to acompany the game.

Zombine3D:

Cid SilverWing:

at least the ratchet and clank movie looks authenic, like 'resident evil: degeneration'. You know, the game movie made to acompany the game.

Degeneration was kinda awful... Very similar to the games, yes, but similar in more of the action-driven, boulder-punching, oh-geez-this-is-ridiculous kind of way.

I put it on the same level as Advent Children. It was certainly no "Street Fighter II: Animated Movie".

As someone who always wanted to play but never could, sly cooper I like it. I'm not certain what sort of plot/story but the short they made of it looks like fun.

This does look like fun. I was put off by the visuals at first, but got used to them halfway through the trailer.

So a trailer was also released.

Yep, the gang didn't quite make it out of the cel-shading very well.

Aaaaand I'm now overwhelmingly disheartened that they got a new actor to play Sly.

Looks like it could be quite the decent animated movie

I hope that this, and the Ratchet and Clank movie turn out as a success.

Sly looks more like a cat than a racoon. And I don't know why they're making this when a perfectly decent Sly movie has already been made:

Raggedstar:

Aaaaand I'm now overwhelmingly disheartened that they got a new actor to play Sly.

Ugh, I'm getting some bad TMNT flashbacks.

Hmmmm... I'm not digging the designs, but I am still willing to give this a shot. We'eve had times in the past where we "HATE" redesigns and the sort, but come to either love it or at least tolerate it. I'm a fan enough to look past it.

Though... looking at this whole thing now. Ratchet and Clank 2015. Sly Cooper 2016... Jak and Daxter 2017?

Neronium:
You know, I'd wait to see how the Ratchet and Clank movie turns out before making a movie about another one of your mascots Sony. I mean, at least the Ratchet and Clank movie's animations actually look like the characters, mainly their Full Frontal Assault models, but the Sly just looks...weird. I'm reminded of a tall Rocket Raccoon when I see that Sly, and I'm pretty sure the Cooper Clan wasn't filled with psychos.

Oh, and if Clockwerk is messed up then I will be very upset, since Clockwerk was my favorite villain of the Sly series and I was very upset when:

Here's a better question that I never thought of until now: How was Neyla able to control Clockwerk so easily? If his brain was completed, why didn't he take over? Surely his hate toward the Cooper family could overwhelm her.

Yyyyyeaaaa-No. Just no

I say fire whoever came up with that, set all the footage ON fire and either start over or give up. Not sure which

The only thing I found bad was that murray looks like a sailor. Why does he look like a sailor. He should look like a superhero, not a sailor.

Also, I really really hope the movie isn't a comedy. Sly doesn't get its comedy from jokes, one liners, and physical harm, it gets its comedy from being witty and creative.

I found the trailer to be rather amusing, and honestly I couldn't tell if the voices were the original cast or not. They sound close to me, but it's been a while since I played the games (need to go back and finish Sly 2, now that I think about it). I'm okay with some artistic license on the characters, though I will agree Murray could use some work.

If they can keep the humor they showed in the trailer, turn it up a notch, and then add some darker aspects with Clockwerk's story, this could be a pretty decent film. Sure, it'll probably be targeted at kids, but would that really be a bad thing? If it can create renewed interest in Sly and the gang, that could lead to more (hopefully good) games for them.

Huh.

So, they made the games cell shaded to make it look more like a cartoon... And now their making an animated film in which they try to enforce semi-realism?

Why? Why would you do that?

That said, the animation itself looks fun enough.

Wow I didn't even know about this and usually I stay on top of these sort of movie related things.

Raggedstar:
I don't know how I feel about this.

Sly Cooper to me always felt like more something for a tv show. The games basically are built upon many small heists building up to one overarching plot.

Wow this summarizes my initial thoughts to the tee. I see Sly as more of a cartoon show and I wish they had gone that route, though they still might.

And while I don't like the art design very much, it still looks nice. The only character design that is bothering me is Murray though I'm not sure why. Maybe its his jaw? Having just watched the trailer, I found it amusing. Granted, I'm disappointed Kevin Miller isn't the lead though I can't say I'm too surprised.

All that said, I'm still willing to give this a shot, in fact, I look forward to it. Sly's always been a favorite of mine even more so than Jak/Dexter and Ratchet/Clank.

I'm a bit worried about the fact that the story involves Clockwerk. I mean, didn't we already tell the whole story about him in the first two games? Seems like a better idea would be to make an original story, but that would of course require time and money...

Murray looks bad but the other two looks alright to me. Can anyone confirm if it's the original voice cast? Sly sounds off but the other two sound like the originals.

C117:
I'm a bit worried about the fact that the story involves Clockwerk. I mean, didn't we already tell the whole story about him in the first two games? Seems like a better idea would be to make an original story, but that would of course require time and money...

The movie might not actually be aimed at people who have played the video game (strangely enough). In the same way the Transformers movies aren't aimed at fans of the Transformers.

They'll probably try to attract kids and only kids, anyone else who happens to like the movie is icing on the cake.

OT: Sly looks okay in the face, his body is a little to human proportioned, it's making him look uncanny and creepy. Bently isn't exaggerated enough and poor Murray is just all kinds of messed up. His nose is to large, which makes his eyes look to small, his body is to angular, needs to be a little rounder and more squishy.

Raggedstar:

...A new voice actor for Sly. What the hell was wrong with the voice from the games?! And whoever is doing the character designs needs a good slap upside the head. They look terrible!

But aside from those two gripes, the backgrounds looked good, and the animation was smooth.

I do have one more teensy, tiny little problem with the plot synopsis though:

Clockwerk isn't Russian. He's been around for over 3000 years, way before Russia was even an idea. He is a Eurasian Eagle Owl, which could translate to Russian. But technically, he's Egyptian, because that's where the first entries of the Thievious Racoonus were penned. His hideout is a Russian Volcano because of the rare metal ores found there. At least, this is what I've inferred from the games as the wiki doesn't list a place of origin.

Sly looks rather creepy. A bit of uncanny valley going on there.

I was dead set against this and thought it was a terrible idea. The trailer nearly completely changed my mind. I just hope that the cheesy humor doesn't get out of control. Oddly enough I'm fine with the voice actor.

And I don't get all the hate for Thieves in Time, it was actually a great game that I really enjoyed as a Sly fan.

dragongit:
Though... looking at this whole thing now. Ratchet and Clank 2015. Sly Cooper 2016... Jak and Daxter 2017?

Literally, that was the first thing that came to my mind after hearing about all this... (Maybe that movie's teaser trailer is shown before the Ratchet and Clank movie...)

OT: Uh... This looks a bit odd, considering their current models look different than their game counterparts... Then again, I was hoping if they did do a Sly movie, it would be flash animated or something stylized like that... But, whatever...

jhoroz:
And I don't know why they're making this when a perfectly decent Sly movie has already been made:

...Whoa... I never thought of that movie that way... until now...

Raggedstar:

...Bummer...
I still have high hopes, but unlike with Ratchet and Clank, I'll still have my suspicions while seeing this movie...

They look... Wrong..

I.. I do not have high hopes, which is sad. Next to Crash Bandicoot this is the game series I grew up with.. And now it looks, wrong.

The only character design that I think doesn't work is Murray. He almost looks *too* much like a hippo or something. I don't know, it just doesn't seem right.

Yeah, like everyone's saying, I really don't like the character designs. I didn't think being able to see Bentley's eyes would be so disconcerting. I do like how they seem to have made pants a global thing for all the characters though.

Apart from the characters, I think everything about this movie looks pretty good. I mean the animation looks genuinely good, the music seems very Sly Cooper-ish, and as long as they stick to the original story they can't mess that up too much.
Plus I don't have any problems with Sly's new voice. If I hadn't read the comments here I honestly wouldn't have noticed they changed it.

LazyAza:
What odd designs, a little too realistic for my tastes, that Sly looks kinda creepy.

Yeah... this is one reason why Sony should just outsource this to Pixar. They'd do it right.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here