BioShock Infinite's Burial At Sea Episode Two Trailer: Old Friends Return

BioShock Infinite's Burial At Sea Episode Two Trailer: Old Friends Return

I shall now dance the forbidden Spoilers dance. Hot-cha!

For those of you who just can't wait to immerse yourselves in Rapture, here's the latest word from BioShock Infinite's DLC, Burial At Sea. For lo, there are spoilers to be seen, and should you not wish to have your innards excavated for Adam, better not look.

Of course you looked. You're that kind of person. So you-know-who's back, eh? Well, it was only a matter of time. Also, what does it take to kill a guy these days? I can't remember when dead actually meant dead, as opposed to just sleeping; with the fishes, I assume, but still.

More Details Coming Soon, says Irrational.

Source: Irrational

I have no idea how any of this flows from either the previous DLC or the game. However, it does look damn pretty and it's nice to see Atlas make a return. I was always fond of that evil fake Irishman.

It does show how far Elizabeth has fallen that she's not concerned about all of the other Little Sisters but just the single one there.

That would be pretty cool if I hadn't forgotten who half of these characters are. So you play as Elizabeth now? Woo. I guess.

The crappy part about these large, story-based DLCs is they come so slowly you start to lose interest in the story by the time they're out.

Charles Phipps:
I have no idea how any of this flows from either the previous DLC or the game.

I doubt even Irrational knows. I don't really like multiverse stories, because you can handwave almost anything, unless you set some rules first.

I agree with the rest of the board. Story looks interesting (especially hallucinating Booker), but the whole multiverse thing renders this story a resounding "meh."

To paraphrase a JLA movie, in a universe with infinite possibilities, each one being realized in some reality or another, what choice can matter?

It turns such a story into an amusing distraction, and little else. Moreover, in the presence of infinite backstories, it gets very confusing trying to parse the storyline at all.

Still, so long as it isn't exorbitant, a few hours of amusement will be worth the price of a decent lunch.

It's funny how no one ever discusses gameplay in any Bioshock related thread.

Good, well-written stories in games are all well and good, but when people talk about nothing but story in a strictly linear game, you have to wonder how it got all those GOTY awards.

...Okay, from what I know about part one... I'm confused. Is this "Booker" a ghost? A hallucination? Or is he pulling a Lutece? Wouldn't be the strangest thing that's happened in this series is all I'm saying. Actually, I'm kinda curious now...

Booker ghost is giving me flashbacks to Battlestar Galactica on how cylon Head 6 would communicate with Baltar, but we'll see what that's about eventually.

Really excited to finally being able to play as Elizabeth! Now just give me a release date and I'm good.

I thought Atlas was just an invention of Frank Fontaine? So there is really an Atlas? Or is that just fontaine trying to do his best irish accent?

*Constant spinning of the revolver's cylinder*

"Dude, that is *really* annoying right next to my head!"

Looks cool, and the dialogue suggesting their at least out of Rapture if not strictly Columbia (though really where else are they going to be?) intrigues me: I was disappointed when they said the first DLC was going to be set back in Rapture. Not that I particularly dislike the place but I prefer the early 1900s American Exceptionalism and cultural values of Columbia to the 60s Objectivist haven of Rapture, makes for a much cooler setting in my opinion.

SKBPinkie:
It's funny how no one ever discusses gameplay in any Bioshock related thread.

Good, well-written stories in games are all well and good, but when people talk about nothing but story in a strictly linear game, you have to wonder how it got all those GOTY awards.

Because as functional as the gameplay mechanics and as sexy as the weapon designs are, talking about blasting people with lead and magic pales in comparison to quantum mechanics and golf club skull trauma. And what's wrong with strictly linear?

Yay, multiverse, where anything can happen but the only things that matter are things that impact the multiverse itself rather than individual universes. *sigh* I hate you, infinite crises. You've ruined other forms of media too now.

It's going to be a disappointment.

I know it's going to be a disappointment.

It's always a disappointment with this game.

SO WHY AM I SO EXCITED? GODDAMNIT

I'm not surprised that Atlas is back. I mean, this is an alternate Rapture set before the fall so it only makes sense that he was alive at the time. But working WITH him? Now you have my attention Irrational!

I must admit though, I've kinda missed the guy lately. And if I get the chance I think I'll put a bullet in his head...for old times sake.

I can't wait!

Let me see if I've got this straight:

More importantly, we get to play as Elizabeth?! Hot damn! It's about time. My secret hope with Infinite was that there would be a "New Story +" mode where you could play as her and skip Booker's involvement entirely. This looks to be the next best thing.

Rituro:

More importantly, we get to play as Elizabeth?! Hot damn! It's about time. My secret hope with Infinite was that there would be a "New Story +" mode where you could play as her and skip Booker's involvement entirely. This looks to be the next best thing.

Wow, Ken Levine has really lost the plot. Literally and figuratively. I'm going back to System Shock 2...

Rituro:

Technically, it was impaled, not shot.
Yes.
Yes again. You can tell by the white hair.
Yes, they are the same person. I doubt they will be different people in this universe, because that doesn't happen. It would mean adding an extra person to this universe, and that breaks the "rules" so to speak. Elizabeth can be a boy in a universe perhaps, but there can never be two of her. Remember, the Luteces aren't actually siblings, but the same person, just different genders.

I'm curious to see how this goes. My guess is that Elizabeth has been hoping around universes for so long that her mind is starting to come apart.

Sniper Team 4:
{an excellent recap}

Thanks for that! Much appreciated.

I agree regarding Elizabeth. It makes sense that she would lack total control of her powers considering they'd been inhibited. Regardless, I'm excited about this new chapter.

(CAPTCHA: Montana's Cookhouse)
(You can advertise in captchas now? I was not aware of this.)

Exterminas:
I thought Atlas was just an invention of Frank Fontaine? So there is really an Atlas? Or is that just fontaine trying to do his best irish accent?

he did but then he altered his features and became Atlas

the trailer looks great, but i hope we find out how Elizabeth got here

Elizabeth is a Goddamn monster (and sort of a dull one at that--isn't it at least possible that Elizabeth succeeding in her insane mission would completely bone the timeline?), and I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of playing as her. She has nearly limitless power and all she can think to do with it is to murder her father over and over in countless timelines. That's beyond horrible.

On the one hand I hope this is finally the story where she starts to grow up and figures out a better way to spend her life, but that would imply somehow forgiving herself for relentlessly trying to eradicate from history the only person who has ever really cared about her. Not sure I'd be okay with that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here