Turkish Prime Minister Delivers Speech As a 10-Foot Hologram

Turkish Prime Minister Delivers Speech As a 10-Foot Hologram

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan couldn't attend a political party to deliver his speech and does the next best thing -- substitute a 10-foot hologram to deliver it instead.

In a sign that we just might be entering Star Wars territory in terms of tech advancements, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave a speech as a 10-foot hologram for a political party he couldn't attend in the City of Izmir for the country's municipal elections. While the tech shown off is impressive, Erdogan's speech might not be seen in the same light, since he was giving it amid an ongoing corruption scandal in the country that led to the resignations of multiple high-level officials within his government.

The hologram appears at the 0:45 mark in the video.

Speaking of Star Wars and holograms, a few years ago, a group from MIT has used Microsoft's Kinect to bring holograms to life, which is as impressive now as it was back then.

Possibly the best use of the technology I've seen is from 2012's Coachella event where Tupac came back to life as a hologram to perform on stage with Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent and other singers.

How far along do you think we are from implementing holograms in phone calls, interacting with people online and having it in our tech devices?

Source: YouTube via The Atlantic

Well that is damn cool. Them crazy Turks, gotta love 'em. It's a good country in part because when officials get caught being corrupt, they are forced to resign. That doesn't happen in most countries too often.

Edit: Clearly the technology used is far better than that found in galaxy far far away, a long long time ago. Now where is my Jetpack! Boba Fett had one!

I really think holograms are a dead technology, especially with the growing advent of portable screens and things like Google Glass. Would a company rather spend thousands of dollars trying to cheat the laws of physics using advanced 3D projectors and the like, or a couple of hundred dollars on a pair of glasses (or in the future, a pair of contact lenses) which digitally render the same thing directly to the wearer?

Google Glass is a bit weird right now, but the idea of 'augmented reality' makes the need for expensive hologram tech obsolete.

TitusGroan:
I really think holograms are a dead technology, especially with the growing advent of portable screens and things like Google Glass. Would a company rather spend thousands of dollars trying to cheat the laws of physics using advanced 3D projectors and the like, or a couple of hundred dollars on a pair of glasses (or in the future, a pair of contact lenses) which digitally render the same thing directly to the wearer?

Google Glass is a bit weird right now, but the idea of 'augmented reality' makes the need for expensive hologram tech obsolete.

Nooo! Don't say that! I'm still holding out on re-enacting Princess Leia's scene in the future. :)

Baresark:
Well that is damn cool. Them crazy Turks, gotta love 'em. It's a good country in part because when officials get caught being corrupt, they are forced to resign. That doesn't happen in most countries too often.

Small point they aren't being forced to resign instead the police and judges are being sacked instead The purge of officials are those that are opposed to Erdoğan not those guilty of corruption. The officials guilty of corruption are his closest ministers, their families and even the Prime minister's son. The reforms are putting his placemen into the police, the army and the judiciary.

I can't help but imagining that Hitler and Goebbels would have loved that stuff...

Alex Co:

Nooo! Don't say that! I'm still holding out on re-enacting Princess Leia's scene in the future. :)

And you'll be able to. but Princess Leia will be digitally rendered on a pair of 1080p contact lenses you're wearing on your eyes, not awkwardly projected onto thin air with little substance, blue colorisation and screen tearing ;)

albino boo:

Baresark:

Small point they aren't being forced to resign instead the police and judges are being sacked instead The purge of officials are those that are opposed to Erdoğan not those guilty of corruption. The officials guilty of corruption are his closest ministers, their families and even the Prime minister's son. The reforms are putting his placemen into the police, the army and the judiciary.

Well that is a sad state of affairs for Turkey then.

this guy is an asshole. slowly making it like every other muslim run country. Everything Ataturk did to make Turkey ready for the future and this dick is undoing it all. I really hope the army steps up again and boots his ass out.......again. Like Baresark said this ass is tossing all the people that oppose him in jail. Even very high ranking army generals so they dont boot his ass out again.

Good luck turkey, sorry. :/

Very cool hologram though.

And now we play the waiting game until some completely silly and pointless person feels the need to come in and be a massive buzzkill about everything by whining about the true definition of holograms and whatnot.

Actually, never mind, the Facebook comments have already taken care of that.

Well, I for welcome the future with open arms. This is damn cool stuff.

Except for the actual guy, apparently. Sorry about that one, Turkey.

TitusGroan:
I really think holograms are a dead technology

It isn't for dictators and evil governments. I can totally imagine some "dear leader" somewhere building a giant version of this so that everytime he speaks to the nation, he appears in giant godzilla size at the center of every city and town.

I am not even joking. This is a matter of WHEN and not if.

Well welcome to the future I guess, Star Wars and Star Trek are becoming a reality more and more each day.

Baresark:

albino boo:

Baresark:

Well that is a sad state of affairs for Turkey then.

Indeed yes. Turkey was not perfect before Erdoğan but it was just about a functioning democracy. Erdoğan has slowly eroded national institutions while appealing to the western liberals. He went after Israel and the US ensuring he did not get a bad press while putting his own men in place in key positions. Last year the middle classes in Istanbul came out on to the streets in protest but that had no effect in Erdoğan client areas of the working class districts and the rural heartlands of Anatolia.

hakkarin:

TitusGroan:
I really think holograms are a dead technology

It isn't for dictators and evil governments. I can totally imagine some "dear leader" somewhere building a giant version of this so that everytime he speaks to the nation, he appears in giant godzilla size at the center of every city and town.

I am not even joking. This is a matter of WHEN and not if.

Yeah I gotta agree with you there, I'm sure within a year or two North Korea will begin expiermenting with these just for that affect. These things may not be practical as someone said earlier but it's hard to deny the WOW factor of these systems.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here