The Elder Scrolls Online Goes All-Out With Eight-Minute "Arrival" Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Calling it now, that guy will be a raid boss who dies unceremonial death.

Other than that, all I got from the trailer was... nothing remarkable. Introduce first major antagonist in person, still leave out every race other than Breton/Altmer/Nord, possible build system in action.

Hagi:

A-D.:
Why would anyone give a shit about the imperial city if molag bal is trying to suck all of Nirn into his plane of oblivion? Nobody would give a crap about whatever petty squabbles there are if it means the lord of rape and domination ends up winning.

The Imperial City houses the Dragonfires. The one thing that can stop Molag Bal from sucking Nirn into Oblivion.

Except they need an Emperor to light them. And the three factions simply can't quite agree on who that next Emperor should be.

And yes, this is pretty much the exact same plot as was featured in Oblivion.

And the reason is still the same, why would they give a shit whose ass is on the throne for the time being? Just put someone's ass there, declare them emperor and then figure shit out when molag bal isnt shitting on your lawn. Plus the dragonfires are supposedly linked to the septim dynasty specifically, hence a requirement is being decendant of a dragonborn, and ironically, dragonborn arent that common you know. Therefore the plot is already inconsistent to begin with IF we follow that logic, of course the fact that skyrim is set 200 years after oblivion and the septim dynasty literally died out..you know, i kinda doubt the dragonfires do jackshit, or have ever done anything. Because lets be honest, the Altmer pissing all over the empire following the oblivion crisis..you'd think some daedric lord would sieze the opportunity given that..you know, no dragonfires and a big war..hrm im sensing a odd pattern here.

Yet, they didnt, nope but 2000 years earlier when the supposedly protecting dragonfires were still lit..thats when the daedra figured it would be a cool idea to go ahead. TESO shits over the lore and tells you to eat it with a spoon and a smile on your face.

Nvm, I just looked at the ESO wikia and it plain out states that mannimarco is working with molag bal. How many ES games are going to have mannimarco in them?

A-D.:
And the reason is still the same, why would they give a shit whose ass is on the throne for the time being? Just put someone's ass there, declare them emperor and then figure shit out when molag bal isnt shitting on your lawn. Plus the dragonfires are supposedly linked to the septim dynasty specifically, hence a requirement is being decendant of a dragonborn, and ironically, dragonborn arent that common you know. Therefore the plot is already inconsistent to begin with IF we follow that logic, of course the fact that skyrim is set 200 years after oblivion and the septim dynasty literally died out..you know, i kinda doubt the dragonfires do jackshit, or have ever done anything. Because lets be honest, the Altmer pissing all over the empire following the oblivion crisis..you'd think some daedric lord would sieze the opportunity given that..you know, no dragonfires and a big war..hrm im sensing a odd pattern here.

Yet, they didnt, nope but 2000 years earlier when the supposedly protecting dragonfires were still lit..thats when the daedra figured it would be a cool idea to go ahead. TESO shits over the lore and tells you to eat it with a spoon and a smile on your face.

That's... not how it works...

The dragonfires very much aren't linked to the Septim dynasty. They were created by the Reman dynasty. The Septims came along after that and took over the practice. It's an Emperor thing, not a Septim thing and has nothing to do with the dragonborn. At the end of Oblivion, when the avatar of Akatosh was summoned through Martin sacrificing himself said protection became permanent as we don't have enough Messiah stories in Western (probably all over the world) literature yet it seems.

As for just putting a random person on the throne to get it over with. The Dragonfires signify a pact between the Empire and Akatosh, you can't simply put a random person who's Emperor only in name on there. If there's no real Emperor then there's no Empire and thus no pact.

TESO very much doesn't shit on the lore. Lore-wise it's as absolutely standard Elder Scrolls as it could possibly be, there's quite literally not a single thing in it's main story that's in any way new. It can't shit on the lore since it doesn't bring anything new to the lore, it's just repeating things we already knew.

The good news is with no F2P or Pay to Win, the game integrity will be there for those that REALLY want to play it without being Micro-transaction'd to DEATH. I will happily pay the equivalent of a magazine subscription for a quality game, and when Im done i can stop

F2P/P2W ruined Lotro for my entire Kinship and with the current direction we are pretty much done with it, and this is one of the options we are looking at having some fun with in the future.

Pretty impressive trailer aside from the amazingly bad use of the shaky cam which made everything impossible to tell apart.

Shame the game is still horrible. But hey, F2P within a year or two. Just gotta be patient.

I for one can't keep up with any of this stuff. TES lore is a mish-mash, because it started off as a very conventional, one-and-done party-based RPG and then had to try to make itself into an epic, "serious" fantasy experience based on a foundation that really didn't support it. Rather like Star Wars in that way, but not so poorly done.

I can't wait to play this when it goes FTP 6 months after release. I just wish they would stop sending me beta weekend invites.

I think buy to play with a cosmetic cash shop is the way to go. I don't know how GW2's cash shop is now, but at the time it was released it had the perfect cash shop model.

Auberon:

Other than that, all I got from the trailer was... nothing remarkable. Introduce first major antagonist in person, still leave out every race other than Breton/Altmer/Nord, possible build system in action.

He'll be a raidboss, but he won't die. TESO is a prequel so we already know what the outcome is. What happens in the mmo doesn't matter because soon after Tiber Septim will rise to power in the north, learn his dragonborn powers and crush all opposition. Mannimarco also shows up in two TES games so we know he fails, but survives. Molag Bal is also a deadra lord so he can't be killed anyway. Best you can hope for is someone pulling a Martin Septim on him and banish him if he shows up on Nirn. Or close the portals permanently.

Well this looks like a lot of work went into it. I'm not really sure what was happening, but the parts I could follow looked very good.

A-D.:
And the reason is still the same, why would they give a shit whose ass is on the throne for the time being? Just put someone's ass there, declare them emperor and then figure shit out when molag bal isnt shitting on your lawn.....

Well, the dragonfires only work if an emrpror has the dragonblood, which means they have to be god-chosen, and the gods dont exactly say who is. Putting some random bob guy wouldn't lite the dragonfires.

And the Amulet of Kings, the thing needed to light the dragonfires, is lost according to pre-TESO lore, and wont be found until Tiber Septim finds it like 300 years after the events of TESO. So even if they did find a god-chosen dragonborn king, he wouldn't be able to do anything to stop Molag Bal.

Also, Martin's sacrifice at the end of OBlivion replaced the dragonfires with Akatosh's statue, so the daedra can't invade ever again. Which is why they haven't in Skyrim, or the time between Oblivion and Skyrim.

Hagi:
They were created by the Reman dynasty.

Actually, the dragonfires were created by Alessia, the founder of the first Empire, when she gave her very soul to Akatosh to forge the Amulet of Kings. Reman was the founder of the second empire, and just continued the tradition.

Andy Chalk:
The Elder Scrolls Online "Arrival" cinematic trailer probably cost more than the whole of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I sincerely hope not. Setting aside what we do or don't get from it, and respecting that the trailer is a technically proficient work if nothing else, if that cost them more than the whole of Star Wars: The Old Republic...someone got played. Played like a guitar at a The Who concert.

From what I've seen, TESO is shaping up to be another direct contender to the WoW throne that doesn't understand how WoW actually succeeded the way that it did. Nor does it appear to understand the nature of the success of it's parent IP, The Elder Scrolls. It's a melange of elements taken from too many places and thrown into a pot by people who don't quite seem to know what makes really good gumbo.

I don't expect it to fail. There's too many of us who want too badly to play in that sandbox, and based in too rich a broth for the stew to really go foul. But I don't expect it to have that big of an effect on the landscape either. I expect that, at best and possibly presupposing that Blizzard commits another gaffe of the sort they were committing when TOR launched, it will hit about like TOR did: Wildly successful in the first few months, maybe stealing a slice of WoW's playerbase for a little while, and then down the road to poorly considered F2P options pasted into a game that wasn't built with a la carte content in mind.

Their commitment to an all star voice cast may cripple some elements of their long term development, which could skew things badly in the long term, but I suspect the short term is all they really care about anyway.

Andy Chalk:
I for one can't keep up with any of this stuff. TES lore is a mish-mash, because it started off as a very conventional, one-and-done party-based RPG and then had to try to make itself into an epic, "serious" fantasy experience based on a foundation that really didn't support it.

To a point that relative disparity in intended setting direction is why it works, the more they throw seemingly unconnected but tonally similar lore at it the more organic it looks at first glance and the easier it is for author bias to explain anyway any discrepancies.

I've always liked that element of The Elder Scrolls

Say ehm... the Imperial city's in the middle of a lake right. How on earth did the undead army manage to cross the only bridge linking the island to the mainland without being opposed? Did they all just walk across the lakebed like those things in the pirates of the caribean movie? Because that would be impossible since the great majority would just start floating, right? Mah... perhaps I'm just nitpicky because tacticas and what not. Thei last trailer wasn't very good in that regard either. Why would all three armies attack those gates simultanously and then continue to fight eachother afterwards. instead of doing what I would do when I was in command... wait the others out and mop up the survivors with my full strength still intact. Best not to question trailer logic it seems...it's there to look shiny.

webkilla:
1) the trailer says nothing regarding gameplay, also it doesn't feature Khajit master race

2) Holy balls that is well animated. Like, there were spots during the quieter moments when I wasn't sure if they had intercut it with live action footage. Well done

I agree with the first. Those milk drinkers obviously weren't up for the task of animating glorious fur!

On a more serious note, I feel like they sort of went with the lowest common denominator here: You've got your rugged fighter, you've got your suave thief guy and your pretty female elven mage. Which race was she supposed to be by the way? I remember Bosmer having darker eyes and Altmer as, well, greenish.

No argonians, no khajiit, no orcs, no dunmer, no redguard (and it's sort of ridiculous that I have to add these, since they're not at all harder to animate). The cinematic trailers show NONE of the amazing variety that makes the Elder Scrolls universe so rich. If anything I feel like they're made purely to attract the MMO-crowd that has never played any of the other games, while the gameplay trailers keep trying to include the usual ES-crowd.

I'm getting really tired of Blur trailers.

Cinematic trailers are directly deceptive...they're CGI depictions of a product and the product never looks like the depictions. The closest Blur trailer to game content ever came was Mass Effect 3 and thats about it.

Just think about it, tick off on your fingers how many Blur trailers have sold you an MMO over the last three years, I bet you can come up with more than one and I bet the game looked and played nothing like the trailers either.

If ESO played anything like what we were seeing in the trailers, I'd never stop playing it. But...as things stand I'm not likely to ever play this game and I'm a fan of the Elder Scrolls.

Does this not remind anyone else of the SWTOR strategy?

They released 3 awesome looking CGI trailers before they released their fail of game too. TESO is only one behind.

Angelous Wang:
Does this not remind anyone else of the SWTOR strategy?

They released 3 awesome looking CGI trailers before they released their fail of game too. TESO is only one behind.

ESO still has two months to release. I'm sure they've got one more Blur trailer on contract.

TOR's "cinematic" trailers looked fantastic too, had the game played anything like them, it would have revolutionized a very stale industry.

Hagi:
[quote="A-D." post="7.840858.20669096"]

TESO very much doesn't shit on the lore. Lore-wise it's as absolutely standard Elder Scrolls as it could possibly be, there's quite literally not a single thing in it's main story that's in any way new. It can't shit on the lore since it doesn't bring anything new to the lore, it's just repeating things we already knew.

Sorry if this violates any of the forum rules, but having someone say that TESO doesn't shit on the TES lore is just a big lie, so I'm just gonna leave this here...

Also:
TESO 2E 583
Talos born in 2E 828
Cyrodiil was actually a jungle before Talos turend into a boring wood with Chim *cough*Bethesdaslazywriting*cough*, yet I don't see a jungle in TESO. Just another "minor" flaw.

This game matters not.

Esp when we got Destiny coming out this year, who gives a fucking toss

Kaeniar:
snip

Whats funny is that pretty much everything listed in that pic isn't lore breaking at all, it just slightly altered versions of past lore events filtered through obvious propaganda.

also,Ttiber Septim CHIMed the jungle away, which means it never existed, if he had just removed the jungle, then Cyrodiil would suffer economic destruction and all the animal life would die due to not being accustomed to the new landscape.

Tiber Septim altered time backwards with him CHIM, sort of like a dragon break.

Kaeniar:

Hagi:
[quote="A-D." post="7.840858.20669096"]

Sorry if this violates any of the forum rules, but having someone say that TESO doesn't shit on the TES lore is just a big lie, so I'm just gonna leave this here...

Also:
TESO 2E 583
Talos born in 2E 828
Cyrodiil was actually a jungle before Talos turend into a boring wood with Chim *cough*Bethesdaslazywriting*cough*, yet I don't see a jungle in TESO. Just another "minor" flaw.

Whoa! That link you provided is one hard-core burn and I can't even bring myself to disagree with it. I do like how Bethesda sort of completely boxed the whole thing in the past. At least it sort of negates the damage to future TES games.

SajuukKhar:

Kaeniar:
snip

Whats funny is that pretty much everything listed in that pic isn't lore breaking at all, it just slightly altered versions of past lore events filtered through obvious propaganda.

also,Ttiber Septim CHIMed the jungle away, which means it never existed, if he had just removed the jungle, then Cyrodiil would suffer economic destruction and all the animal life would die due to not being accustomed to the new landscape.

Tiber Septim altered time backwards with him CHIM, sort of like a dragon break.

Altered up to the point where it just doesn't make any sense at all. I just don't get how people still try to defend Zenimax. Even Bethesda distances themselves from the disaster that is TESO (even if it's through PR-jibberjabber)

Don't know the exact quote but basically:
First question by fan: How does TESO fit in TES lore?
Bethguy: TESO is fully accepted into lore

question in some other q&a or something: (basically)How does TESO fit in TES lore?
Bethguy: TESO and TES are two entirely different games.

Can I just have a movie, please? That was fantastic, but I still don't want to pay fifteen dollars a month to play it. A movie of this quality would be something I'd pick up right away though.

Also, can anyone explain to me what exactly is happening in this trailer? My Elder Scroll knowledge is only from what I got from Skyrim, so I have no idea what is going on. And am I the only one who, if I saw giant magic chains coming out of the clouds and sky, would instantly just turn and run as fast as I can?

Kaeniar:

Altered up to the point where it just doesn't make any sense at all. I just don't get how people still try to defend Zenimax. Even Bethesda distances themselves from the disaster that is TESO (even if it's through PR-jibberjabber)

Don't know the exact quote but basically:
First question by fan: How does TESO fit in TES lore?
Bethguy: TESO is fully accepted into lore

question in some other q&a or something: (basically)How does TESO fit in TES lore?
Bethguy: TESO and TES are two entirely different games.

It makes perfect sense as long as you dont apply idiotic blanket racial stereotypes across the races.

>BUT MUH ELVES AGES SLOWER SO SHE CANT BE QUEEN!
Actually, elves age at the same rate as humans, as for why she is queen, its because the elves are hyper traditionalist, and Aryeen is the rightful queen. Also, her backstory book outright says the Altmer hate her.

>BUT MUH NORDS AND DUNMER CAN NEVER ALLY!
Actually the Nords allied with three of their most long standing enemies, the Dunmer, the Dwarves, and the Orcs, at the battle of Red Mountain.

>BUT MUH GREYBEARDS SUMMONED WULFHARTH!
Only in a book that was so blatantly propagandist its silly that anyone could take it seriously.

>BUT MUH TRIBUNAL COULD STOP MOLAG BAL BY THEMSEVLES!
Actually, according to the Arcturian Heresy, the Tribunal was unable to fight off the akaviri and had to summon the most elf hating Nordic King Ysmir wulfharth to take them out. Not to mention them barely being able to fend of Dagon, and only after he destroyed all of Mournhold. Past TES lore has made it clear the Tribunal were never the all power gods they claimed to be, and were often very weak.

>BUT MUH EDEN ROOT CAPITAL!
Eden Root is the capital of the dominion because the Pocket Guide, released back in 1998, said it was.

I could literally do a point by point breakdown of why everything in that pic you listed has been disproved or justified at least twice in pre-TESO lore, and so could literally anyone else who actually knows TES lore, which is why literally everyone on all the major TEs lore sites, like The Imperial Library, say it DOESN'T break lore.

Those idiots on 4chan are the same type of moron that made that "here is why Fallout 3's plot makes no sense" pic, despite everything in the pic being outright explained in-game.

Auberon:

I didn't realize that Darth Revan was in this game.

Nice if conventional trailer. When is Blur Studio going to nut up and make a whole movie instead of just doing these trailers?

I'm a little confused by what's going, particularly at the end...

I'm pretty sure that's Mannimarco, the King of Worms. He and Molag Bal mus have decided it's about time to deal with those holdouts in the Imperial City.

Well that was pretty meh... At least the magic looked kinda cool, too bad we'll never be able to do that in the game.

Not that any of that matters because its an MMO, it was dead to me before it was born.

That was an Elder Scrolls trailer? If I hadn't been told I'd of assumed it was for Diablo 4 or something. :/

Seems like one of those things that while technically excellent leaves you feeling unsatisfied and bored. I don't know, I'm burned out on WoW and more interested in something like Wildstar than this. But, if it does turn out well I'll give it a go I suppose.

As someone that has play tested the game already, I can assure you that it plays NOTHING like the average MMO. It feels more like someone grabbed Skyrim's engine and retrofitted it for multiplayer use... Though there was also a lot of it shaven off which disappointed me.

JenSeven:

Sight Unseen:
I've dabbled with the closed beta and the game is VERY quest and story driven. I don't remember getting a single quest to "kill 5 rats" or "obtain 5 hides" for no reason.

Ahhh... you were in the closed Beta. No wonder this sounds so much like PR speech.
I guess you'd have to sign a contract about not revealing much about the game, or not revealing any negative aspects of the game.
Sorry, but your input into this thread and your opinions just went right out the window.

He has the most experience with the game out of all of us. Therefore, we can't trust him.
Not sure I fallow your logic there. In my eyes, his input has colossally more merit than yours or mine. He didn't even really say anything all that positive, or even give an opinion of any kind. He just said some things that where or where not in the game(that he actually played, might I add again). I mean, I could see if it where a dev, or a PR spokesmen, and not trusting his word then. But I really don't see why Mr.Unseen would lie to us. Even if he said he didn't like it, I would think Zenimax would realize the potential PR shitstorm that would come from suing someone for stating there opinion.

OT:We've been at this crossroad before, an my response is always the same. The trailer is impressive, but doesn't really tell me much about the game, besides bits of the story. Therefore, doesn't weigh in much of my opinion of the game.

Mortuorum:
I'm pretty sure that's Mannimarco, the King of Worms. He and Molag Bal mus have decided it's about time to deal with those holdouts in the Imperial City.

But that's a pretty dramatic retcon, isn't it? I was under the impression that Mannimarco was a necromancer from the start.

It's quite interesting the fact that no one (that I follow anyway site or youtuber otherwise except for ForceStrategy) that the Collector's Edition of the game gives you an exclusive race (Imperial) to play for purchasing it.

I need not mention that this is will be a game with a subscription fee and in game shop and they have the gall to do such a thing, thus ruining the whole 3 factions and lore because they let you play in any faction that you desire.

With that said, the trailer was pretty and dandy, but it's all just smoke and mirrors to get people hyped. Wasted money on marketing is what this is instead of investing it to make it more than "Skyrim with more people".

Like all MMO's that came before it, I will play it when it becomes free to play (eventually). Until then, I'm happy playing WoW as my MMO of choice.

For crying out loud, just stop, stop making games and make that damn movie you so obviously want to make. I WILL watch it because it'll be awesome.

Maybe I'm getting cynical but such an extravagant trailer, while impressive, coming out before the release and not long after pre-orders with no gameplay makes me want to run screaming from the title more then anything.

If dead island especially taught us anything it's to be a bit critical of this kind of thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here