Rumor: Titanfall Limited Edition & $399 Disc-Free Xbox Ones Coming Soon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Titanfall Limited Edition & $399 Disc-Free Xbox Ones Coming Soon

Titanfall Xbox One

Microsoft is allegedly set to spring a white Xbox One, a disc-free $399 version, another one housing 1TB and a Limited Editon Titanfall console within the year.

While we normally abstain from posting anything that pops up on any forum, NeoGAF user "ntkrnl" has been "verified" by a NeoGAF mod, which means he presented something that made his claims legitimate. The user claims Microsoft is set to release a white version of the Xbox One at retail to coincide with Sunset Overdrive's release this October. If true, this really shouldn't be surprising since the vanilla-colored unit has been made available to Microsoft employees last year. However, what is surprising is that Microsoft's allegedly set to release a disc-less version of the Xbox One at a price point of $399 later this year.

If that wasn't enough, ntkrnl also posted an image of a Limited Edition Titanfall Xbox One console that's set to be announced at a later date. Finally, the forum poster reveals that there's yet another Limited Edition Xbox One set for release this coming November that will include a 1TB hard-drive.

To add further credibility to the rumors, The Verge claims it has "verified" that Microsoft is indeed planning to release a white Xbox One later this year, and can also confirm that Microsoft is presently testing versions of an Xbox One without a Blu-ray disc drive.

When reached for a comment, a Microsoft spokesperson told us, "We do not comment on speculation or rumors."

Are you willing to buy a disc-less Xbox One at a cheaper price? If ever that happens, even a 1TB hard-drive might not be enough to hold your content given the size of games these days.

Source: NeoGAF, The Verge

Its interesting and a console without a BD drive might even interest me enough to get one, not the Xbox One though because as the last paragraph in the article points out 1TB simply isn't enough and you cannot swap out the HDD yourself. At least officially, I have seen tear downs of the Xbone and I am confident enough in my ability of taking computers apart and putting them back together to be able to change the drive myself but it invalidates the warranty and after the 360 I am not confident of Microsofts ability to launch a new console without crippling problems in the early versions just yet.

I suppose using an external drive[1] is not all that bad as the Xbone does have USB 3.0 ports but having mutant outgrowths sprouting from your console just isn't the same as fitting an internal drive.

A PS4 and its user changeable HDDs is another matter though, if Sony offered one it would almost certainly be the version I got. I only own the one piece of physical media for my PlayStation 3 and that was because I imported it because there wasn't a version on the PS Store, every other game I own and have played for it was digital.

[1] When Microsoft eventually get around to enabling them.

Well that confirms that Microsoft learned absolutely nothing with the online fiasco, nor that they understand that a console that dumps discs is utterly useless. Oh well atleast this gives players a choice so hats off to them there I guess. Too bad they didn't drop another part of the console instead, the part with a camera that alot of people don't want or like to make the savings, ah well that'd be too intelligent.

RicoADF:
Well that confirms that Microsoft learned absolutely nothing with the online fiasco, nor that they understand that a console that dumps discs is utterly useless. Oh well atleast this gives players a choice so hats off to them there I guess. Too bad they didn't drop another part of the console instead, the part with a camera that alot of people don't want or like to make the savings, ah well that'd be too intelligent.

Speak for yourself - I don't think a disk-less Xbox is utterly useless. I haven't had a disc drive on my PC for years, because, well, physical media is pretty much on the way out. I buy all my games through steam, or other online stores. I even purchase most of my 3DS and Wii U games via Nintendo's online store.

Chopping $100 off the cost of a device by removing a feature that I honestly never see myself using makes the Xbox a lot more attractive to me, and i'm sure many others.

Steven Bogos:

Speak for yourself - I don't think a disk-less Xbox is utterly useless. I haven't had a disc drive on my PC for years, because, well, physical media is pretty much on the way out. I buy all my games through steam, or other online stores. I even purchase most of my 3DS and Wii U games via Nintendo's online store.

Chopping $100 off the cost of a device by removing a feature that I honestly never see myself using makes the Xbox a lot more attractive to me, and i'm sure many others.

PC and console are 2 different things. I use steam alot on my PC but rarely buy digital on my console for the simple reason that I can always redownload my games on PC (and in the unlikely event that steam goes down the games can be patched to fix them), on a console once the system is abandoned by it's owners (and Microsoft dropped the origional xbox the moment the 360 came out) the your games will be gone for good as soon as you replace the hard drive (unless you can do a backup, I know Playstation can but wasn't certain with xbox considering all the restrictions Microsoft puts on their consoles). Meanwhile all my disc games on my PS1/2/3 etc are still 100% operating and I can play at any time. Also physical have a value, I can resell them if I ever want to, digital has no value at all once you buy it your stuck with it forever with no value to the owner. That's why on PC I won't pay more than $20 for a game on steam, since they have no value I pay accordingly.

That diskless console better fucking have a bigger hard drive then. 500 gigs for next-gen games is not enough. I have 4 games for my PS4, and they currently take up HALF the goddamn 500gb hard drive that comes with it.

Disc free?

What the hell is wrong with Microsoft, it should be Kinect free and $399, not fecking disc free. I can already see the return form.

Reason you are returning this item: I can't put my game in it!

I don't see disc drive free home console going down any better than the PSP GO did, probably worse in fact since download sizes are so much bigger and being download only puts it right in the path of Steam and PCs. Madness, pure Microsoft branded madness. Hell if it doesn't accept discs are Gamestop even going to stock it?

When I read "discless" I figured you meant the HDD.
Which would obviously be impossible.

Cutting out the BD-drive would be very dumb, because people do buy those things (as well as DVDs) and would PROBABLY like to play them in their so called all in one media box monster thing.

Cutting out the Drive takes the last advantage the consoles have over (most of) pc gaming: used games.
If they take that out, you can only buy your games from Microsoft and Microsoft alone, who will then completely control the prizes. On PC, you at least can choose out of a plethora of different stores (Steam, GMG, GOG, Humblestore, Origin), a choice you don't have on a console.

A console without a bluray drive seems like a terrible idea to me, it hands the last bit control of the console one got over to the manufacturer.

Also a media-center-thingy without a DVD/BluRay drive, but with a camera that always watches you? Nah, thanks

Holy shit. You know what this is, right? They are still trying to get people to accept an always online console. The rumor was true. They haven't changed their policy. They just delayed its implementation. I would suggest that everyone who's purchased an Xbone sell it right now and get a PS4 or PC. Get out while you can. "Disc free" is such an obvious attempt to put a positive spin on something bad. It's like saying "Come to North Korea. It's election free!"

Seeing as I don't do business with PawnStop, a discless XB1 sounds fine to me. And while the HDD size is concern-worthy, it's no different for the original XB1 and PS4, both of which install the game to your HDD already.

What this article doesn't mention is the potential complication - on the ISP side - of downloading 20-50GB of game content on a semi-regular basis. On the other hand, I already do it with Netflix and the other streaming video services.

As for obsolescence: the XB1 version of "my discs all still work" is that eight years from now when the XB1 is on its way out, you'll pay $50 for a 5TB external HDD and download all of your XB1 games onto it. Maybe buy another for redundancy. It'll sure take up a lot less space than a shelf full of clamshells.

RicoADF:

Steven Bogos:

PC and console are 2 different things. I use steam alot on my PC but rarely buy digital on my console for the simple reason that I can always redownload my games on PC (and in the unlikely event that steam goes down the games can be patched to fix them), on a console once the system is abandoned by it's owners (and Microsoft dropped the origional xbox the moment the 360 came out) the your games will be gone for good as soon as you replace the hard drive (unless you can do a backup, I know Playstation can but wasn't certain with xbox considering all the restrictions Microsoft puts on their consoles). Meanwhile all my disc games on my PS1/2/3 etc are still 100% operating and I can play at any time. Also physical have a value, I can resell them if I ever want to, digital has no value at all once you buy it your stuck with it forever with no value to the owner. That's why on PC I won't pay more than $20 for a game on steam, since they have no value I pay accordingly.

Games from Xbox Live are primarily tied to the account just like Steam or the PSN store, you can download any games you buy as many times as you want on as many consoles as you want. There is also a licence initially granted to the machine you download the game as the "primary console". You can download and play an accounts games on any 360/Xbone but only when you are logged in, the primary console licence is transferable and it allows you to play a game you got from XBL offline and also any other account logged into the primary console to play the game as well. The restriction is you can only play offline on the console with the primary licence, there are no limits on how many times you can transfer a licence but there is limit on how frequently you can use the automated transfer process. You cannot use the system to transfer it to a new console every day for example, if you genuinely had a reason to change it other than manipulating the system for one reason or another there should be no reason customer support wouldn't help though. This is pretty reasonable really, it allows unlimited offline play on a console you own and lets you play them at a friends or wherever.

So you can re-download the games and you do not lose them if you replace either the HDD or the console, the primary licence authorises offline play as well. XBL carries no more risk of losing your games than with either Steam or PSN, the only one that ties your downloads to a specific console or storage device where Nintendo but I thought they fixed (or fixing?) that.

Having no resale value remains but thats an issue for all digitally distributed games, how important this is to people varies wildly although anecdotally it seems to concern pure console gamers more often than PC gamers. I guess thats because they got used to games having zero resale value for ten years or more now.

coil:
Maybe buy another for redundancy. It'll sure take up a lot less space than a shelf full of clamshells.

And this, seriously f**k boxes. I would need nearly three meters worth of shelving to store all my games (PC & Console) if I bought retail, Books,[1] DVD and BD box sets clutter up the place enough without having to find space for all that as well. This is down to preference of course, some people do like having shelves with a "collection" on display.

[1] although I only buy e-books for the same reason now, any future BD box sets will be digital after each current series is finished as well.

Maybe Microsoft should start by seeing if they can remove features that market test poorly; maybe a certain terrible peripheral? One that's a homophone for connect. You know instead of something that people like.

I'm very interested in this discless Xbox One. 95% chance I'll be buying one of them as my nextgen console.

So uh, if you take the Titanfall skin and put it on a disc-less version, would it be fair to call that version the Reverse Adobe Edition?

I just had to comment on that...

J Tyran:

Games from Xbox Live are primarily tied to the account just like Steam or the PSN store, you can download any games you buy as many times as you want on as many consoles as you want. There is also a licence initially granted to the machine you download the game as the "primary console". You can download and play an accounts games on any 360/Xbone but only when you are logged in, the primary console licence is transferable and it allows you to play a game you got from XBL offline and also any other account logged into the primary console to play the game as well. The restriction is you can only play offline on the console with the primary licence, there are no limits on how many times you can transfer a licence but there is limit on how frequently you can use the automated transfer process. You cannot use the system to transfer it to a new console every day for example, if you genuinely had a reason to change it other than manipulating the system for one reason or another there should be no reason customer support wouldn't help though. This is pretty reasonable really, it allows unlimited offline play on a console you own and lets you play them at a friends or wherever.

So you can re-download the games and you do not lose them if you replace either the HDD or the console, the primary licence authorises offline play as well. XBL carries no more risk of losing your games than with either Steam or PSN, the only one that ties your downloads to a specific console or storage device where Nintendo but I thought they fixed (or fixing?) that.

Having no resale value remains but thats an issue for all digitally distributed games, how important this is to people varies wildly although anecdotally it seems to concern pure console gamers more often than PC gamers. I guess thats because they got used to games having zero resale value for ten years or more now.

coil:
Maybe buy another for redundancy. It'll sure take up a lot less space than a shelf full of clamshells.

And this, seriously f**k boxes. I would need nearly three meters worth of shelving to store all my games (PC & Console) if I bought retail, Books,[1] DVD and BD box sets clutter up the place enough without having to find space for all that as well. This is down to preference of course, some people do like having shelves with a "collection" on display.

While the console is supported yes, but once they drop the XBO for the nextbox (Xbox Two?) then the live servers for the XBO will go down and you wont be able to redownload them. For now yes you can, but I'm talking 10+ years from now. It may not matter to you but to me being able to play the game whenever I want where ever I want without relying on servers that will go down someday is an important thing. I still play my PS1 games, and my PS2 games, but in 20 years time would I be able to play my digitally bought XBO games? I highly doubt it.

[1] although I only buy e-books for the same reason now, any future BD box sets will be digital after each current series is finished as well.

fix-the-spade:

I don't see disc drive free home console going down any better than the PSP GO did, probably worse in fact since download sizes are so much bigger and being download only puts it right in the path of Steam and PCs. Madness, pure Microsoft branded madness. Hell if it doesn't accept discs are Gamestop even going to stock it?

Damn, you beat to the PSP GO. Seriously did we learn nothing from that? I know Sony would prefer we all just forget the GO ever existed but this (as you've already said), is more like them wanting to make another PC platform. Microsoft, you already make PC's what is the point of this sillyness.

Considering that the optical drive in the XB1 is crap, I don't see how excluding it could reduce the production costs by $100. So either Microsoft is skimping in other areas on the disc-less unit, or they're grossly inflating the price on the current units.

For people like me who only buy a few games a year, who doesn't rush out and do the 'MUST HAVE' on every single game that comes down the pike; this isn't a bad deal. I don't buy games at Gamestop or Wal Mart, I buy the on-line and download them. I have a computer I watch dvd's on, so a $100 off, yeah I would bite. If it was a PS4, that is ... still haven't seen a game exclusive to Xbox that made me want it nor do I really like the idea of my household appliances watching me while I sleep. Creepy

Does that make it an Xbox Zeropointeightsevenfive?

And what is that disc slot shaped slot on the front?

Steven Bogos:

RicoADF:

To me its beyond pointless.

I recently gave up having XBL, and had my 360 been disk-less, well, no new games for me then.

hell, if removing the disk drive cuts $100 from the price tag, then the Xbone would be the cheapest console ever if they get rid of the cancer that is Kinect.

but even with that test of the Xbone's hard drive I doubt you would be able to install all the games you want on the 1 TB one. What was it, four or five games max on the current one?

but you know, i'm actually surprised. I was entirely expecting the article to go off on a tangent about how Titanfall looks amazing and why we should all buy a 6v6 arena shooter with more bots than players.

I personally really hate this continued push to go all digital. I despise it. I will always prefer having a physical copy in my hand, always. To me, it just feels like I am paying for air.

RicoADF:

While the console is supported yes, but once they drop the XBO for the nextbox (Xbox Two?) then the live servers for the XBO will go down and you wont be able to redownload them. For now yes you can, but I'm talking 10+ years from now. It may not matter to you but to me being able to play the game whenever I want where ever I want without relying on servers that will go down someday is an important thing. I still play my PS1 games, and my PS2 games, but in 20 years time would I be able to play my digitally bought XBO games? I highly doubt it.

See I don't know about that, the reason we can play our pc games backwards compatible is our architecture is based on x86. Making using the old software easy. With both PlayStation and Xbox switching to x86 the next system will probably be based on x86 as well. Due to the resounding desire for gamers to be able to play their old games I could see this being a huge selling point next console. Now whether they do it or not only time will tell but it should be a lot easier this time around.

Steven Bogos:

RicoADF:

You might be able to do so on your pc. But how many 37 gig games do you download? How long does that take you. The xbo at launch had too many games available to install them all at once and you cannot change the harddrive on it. And there is no external at this time. Imagine having to delete 37 gb games you've downloaded every month to keep up with new releases. Also perhaps you personally have fast limitless internet. But most people have slower connections and in many places companies are throttling highend users and talking about imposing data caps.

They'd have to make the discless system $200 for me to risk buying it. I'd download the 1 or 2 M$ exclusives I want a year and buy everything else on the ps4.

coil:
Seeing as I don't do business with PawnStop, a discless XB1 sounds fine to me. And while the HDD size is concern-worthy, it's no different for the original XB1 and PS4, both of which install the game to your HDD already.

What this article doesn't mention is the potential complication - on the ISP side - of downloading 20-50GB of game content on a semi-regular basis. On the other hand, I already do it with Netflix and the other streaming video services.

As for obsolescence: the XB1 version of "my discs all still work" is that eight years from now when the XB1 is on its way out, you'll pay $50 for a 5TB external HDD and download all of your XB1 games onto it. Maybe buy another for redundancy. It'll sure take up a lot less space than a shelf full of clamshells.

LOL $50? From M$? THe ones who still ask $130 for the 320 gb 360 harddrive?

Oh Microsoft, you're up to your draconian DRM shenanigans again?

Wait, you say this time you mean it?... and you seriously are hell bent on screwing up your consumers?... oh... I'll just back away... slowly...

Ah, Microsoft is pushing for their grand vision of the future. Pretty soon the daily online checks will be back and the Kinect will be mandatory again.

This probably how they plan on coping with the DRM 180. Full digital on a closed platform is about as evil as the always online. I mean, think about it, it gives them full control over pretty much everything, completely wipes out used games, likely will make it impossible to play all your games in ten years.

Microsoft is completely eschewing the preservation of games, literally against games having any importance in the future. It is beyond me that anyone could be fine with that. Maybe the typical gamer just doesn't care about the future of the medium?

And Microsoft just went full retard. Again. Disc-less? Well that fucking nullifies one of the main points of a console. If I wanted to download all my shit, I'd just use my PC with its 2 TB hard drive and snag some titles through Steam, GOG, Greenmangaming, etc.

You know, I think this rumor is BS. Or at least some of it. I remember reading this interview with Microsoft and they said that while they did consider a discless Xbox One, games would get to be just too large to be downloaded over a standard crappy American broadband connection. The disc drives had to be put in. So, for them to go back on that decision now would be incredibly weird.

Besides from prefering REAL things like BlueRays and beeing able to buy them for less then half the price used or because Amazon thinks to sell them cheaper then everyone else does, i also like to use my PS3/4 to be able to play Movies (on discs) that i can watch whenever i like say when the internet is temporary unavailable.
Seriously removing the BlueRay player from the console seems really stupid. Especially because the console doesnīt posess the hardware to store many games in the first place. Just imagin deleting and reinstalling games all the time that are 50 GB big, something that also sucks on steam already. Installing games from the disc takes already too much time on consoles but then it adds also the download. if i go to a friend with a new games everything i need to do is upload my savegames to ps+ or on a stick and i can play further showing him the game.
I guess the Discdrive desaster and the fact that MS has to pay money to Sony because they own the BlueRay Trademark drives them to fuck up the shitty toaster they build even more. People are afraight of DRM even though its already in use anyway. THE CLOUD!!! is nothing more then that. What happens to the games when you canīt acces THE CLAOUD!!! temporarily anyway? Did MS ever say something about that? Disc free consoles just mean that everything is account bond and canīt be sold. So they achieved everything they wanted (and people didnīt) and some idiots will be greatfull for it.
I have no idea why someone would ever buy this console for the hand full of REAL exclusives (NOT TITANFALL) it will get and encourage MS to come up with even more crap ideas.

Question: is there anywhere you can buy digital copies of Xbone games besides the Microsoft App Store? For instance, if you buy a game from JB Hifi or EB with a disc, does it also come with some kind of code you can use to activate a digital copy of the game?

Because if so, a $399 Xbone sans disk drive sounds reasonable. But if not, they're basically trying to be Apple.

MinionJoe:
Considering that the optical drive in the XB1 is crap, I don't see how excluding it could reduce the production costs by $100. So either Microsoft is skimping in other areas on the disc-less unit, or they're grossly inflating the price on the current units.

This was my first thought. How the fuck does a disk drive cost $100? The reason they might do this is because people will be forced to buy all their games off Xbox Live which means a bigger slice of the profit for them. They may not have 24 hour drm checks but it's the same bullshit Microsoft has been trying to do for a while, make completely gated systems to remove any competition and any control from their users

Raziel:

Steven Bogos:

RicoADF:

You might be able to do so on your pc. But how many 37 gig games do you download? How long does that take you. The xbo at launch had too many games available to install them all at once and you cannot change the harddrive on it. And there is no external at this time. Imagine having to delete 37 gb games you've downloaded every month to keep up with new releases. Also perhaps you personally have fast limitless internet. But most people have slower connections and in many places companies are throttling highend users and talking about imposing data caps.

They'd have to make the discless system $200 for me to risk buying it. I'd download the 1 or 2 M$ exclusives I want a year and buy everything else on the ps4.

Yes, i have very fast and limitless internet. Like I said, for me, personally, it's a very attractive option, and I know of plenty of other people who think the same way.

Just because you, personally, wouldn't use it, doesn't mean everyone else won't.

PoolCleaningRobot:
The reason they might do this is because people will be forced to buy all their games off Xbox Live which means a bigger slice of the profit for them.

That makes sense. They're loss-leadering the console and making it the difference with a forced increase in digital sales. There's no manufacturing, shipping, or stocking costs involved with digital sales, but the price point for is the same as retail. So there's greater profit in the digital-only market.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here