Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Available For Free on 3DS

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Available For Free on 3DS

Zelda Four Swords official art

For a limited time, Nintendo is offering free downloads of Legend of Zelda: Four Swords on the 3DS.

3DS owners can get a free download of Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition from today to the end of Feb. 2, meaning it's time to grab some friends this weekend and work on team-building skills.

Four Swords originally released on the Gameboy Advance with A Link To The Past. Unlike other Zelda games, Four Swords' emphasis is on multiplayer and cooperative play. Getting the full team of four Links proved to be difficult in the days of the Gameboy Advance with game link cables necessary for playing together. Thankfully, today we work wirelessly, but you'll still need . Four Swords can be played in single player mode in Four Swords Anniversary Edition in which the player switches control of two Links, but the greatest part of Four Swords was working out puzzles with friends and siblings.

To download Four Swords Anniversary Edition, scan a QR code to take you directly to the game's page, or you can go to the Nintendo eShop yourself.

The anniversary edition was released for a limited time through Nintendo DSiWare service on Sept. 28, 2011. It includes a new single player mode and more areas. Players both work together and against each other, solving puzzles and fighting monsters together while trying to collect the most rupees.

The promotion lasts from Jan. 30 9 a.m. PT to Feb. 2 11:59 p.m. PT.

Source: Zelda

Doesn't seem to be available world-wide...

Damn

Neat. I still have the same problem that I had when it was originally released. No one to co-op it with.
Oh well, at least you can play it in single-player now.

I don't understand why they keep putting a limit on it. If they are going to keep selling it for free, just make it free permanently.

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:
I don't understand why they keep putting a limit on it. If they are going to keep selling it for free, just make it free permanently.

AGREED!
My best friend would LOVE to play this... and her 3DS is in the shop for repairs, and it probably won't get fixed before this promotion ends!

Just in case anyone is wondering, this offer is US only.

Europeans, or anyone else for that matter, need not apply.

if they didn't update the game, the same issue still remains; unless you team up, there are not enough maximum drops available in solo mode to unlock the hardest versions of the stages

Chimpzy:

Why does Nintendo, and for that matter most of the gaming industry, seem to hate Europeans? I mean, it also affects Australians as well, so why not make it worldwide?

Trishbot:

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:

AGREED!
My best friend would LOVE to play this... and her 3DS is in the shop for repairs, and it probably won't get fixed before this promotion ends!

I don't know, it works for Valve with Portal. They've given it away for free at least two or three times now, but they still sell it to people who weren't paying attention when it was free, and presumably make some money on it.

It is nice to get this for free, I just wish it had online multiplayer or download play or something, beacause it's a pain in the butt to get enough people together who own the game to play it multiplayer. At least it's got a single player mode, and hey, free Zelda. Nothing really to complain about as long as it's free.

Chimpzy:

Works for me. And I'm Canadian. So North America only would be more accurate.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Trishbot:

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:

AGREED!

I don't know, it works for Valve with Portal. They've given it away for free at least two or three times now, but they still sell it to people who weren't paying attention when it was free, and presumably make some money on it.

It is nice to get this for free, I just wish it had online multiplayer or download play or something, beacause it's a pain in the butt to get enough people together who own the game to play it multiplayer. At least it's got a single player mode, and hey, free Zelda. Nothing really to complain about as long as it's free.

But that's just it. I already HAVE it. She doesn't. And when the "free period" ended last time, the game did not go on sale... it just flat out DISAPPEARED entirely so nobody could even pay for it.

It's hard enough getting a friend with a 3DS to street pass with me, harder still to convince them to get a game we could exchange data with or play together, and even harder to find the time to do it... and we're both HUGE Zelda fans, so her missing out on this because of a faulty 3DS that Nintendo has in their possession right now is irksome. I want to play the game with her!

Trishbot:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Trishbot:

AGREED!

But that's just it. I already HAVE it. She doesn't. And when the "free period" ended last time, the game did not go on sale... it just flat out DISAPPEARED entirely so nobody could even pay for it.

It's hard enough getting a friend with a 3DS to street pass with me, harder still to convince them to get a game we could exchange data with or play together, and even harder to find the time to do it... and we're both HUGE Zelda fans, so her missing out on this because of a faulty 3DS that Nintendo has in their possession right now is irksome. I want to play the game with her!

You might be able to copy the game over to another SD card. I've swapped out the SD card on my 3DS for a bigger one, files and all before, no problem. Worth a try, anyway.

I was really pumped to play this game once I read the article but now I just want to cry.
I can't even purchase it.
I hate Australia...

Dead Century:

You might be able to copy the game over to another SD card. I've swapped out the SD card on my 3DS for a bigger one, files and all before, no problem. Worth a try, anyway.

Tried it. Nintendo locks the data to a system, not an account. To use any data you have to literally transfer your entire account from one system to another, and it wipes the old system entirely to prevent anything from being copied. It didn't recognize my friend's system as "authorized" to use MY data, thus it didn't work, and I'm not savvy enough to hack it open and bypass that.

Trishbot:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Trishbot:

AGREED!

Okay, that's just dumb. Like, incredibly dumb. I figured it was free for a limited time and then cost $10 or something the rest of the time. If it's only available when it's free, they really should just leave it that way permanently.

Chimpzy:

I am from Brazil and the game was completly free for me...

Neronium:

Chimpzy:
snip

Why does Nintendo, and for that matter most of the gaming industry, seem to hate Europeans? I mean, it also affects Australians as well, so why not make it worldwide?

I know, I don't really get it either. The UK has it to a lesser extent, but for the most part we tend to get shafted. Ok yeah, sometimes our version of a game gets some bonus dlc that would've been store-exclusive in NA. Whooptiedoo. I mean, I live in one the countries where the release of the Xbox One is still a question mark. I don't particularly want one, but it really rubs me the wrong way that there has been no news on a release date since the launch in the rest of the world.

Maybe it's because of all the different countries and languages, or some kind of European trade law shenanigans. Although it used to be much worse. At least now we get almost all of the games you guys get and roughly at the same time, give or take a few days to weeks.

Seriously, I could bitch about it for days on end.

Dead Century:

I stand corrected, which unfortunately does nothing for my disappointment.

Chimpzy:

Neronium:

Chimpzy:
snip

I know, I don't really get it either. The UK has it to a lesser extent, but for the most part we tend to get shafted. Ok yeah, sometimes our version of a game gets some bonus dlc that would've been store-exclusive in NA. Whooptiedoo. I mean, I live in one the countries where the release of the Xbox One is still a question mark. I don't particularly want one, but it really rubs me the wrong way that there has been no news on a release date since the launch in the rest of the world.

Maybe it's because of all the different countries and languages, or some kind of European trade law shenanigans. Although it used to be much worse. At least now we get almost all of the games you guys get and roughly at the same time, give or take a few days to weeks.

Seriously, I could bitch about it for days on end.

Dead Century:

I stand corrected, which unfortunately does nothing for my disappointment.

Probably NTSC and NTSC-J only, maybe just NTSC. As far as I know there's only three regions for the 3DS, with PAL being the third one I didn't mention earlier. It's based on which countries used which TV standards in the 20th century, for some reason.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Chimpzy:
snip

Probably NTSC and NTSC-J only, maybe just NTSC. As far as I know there's only three regions for the 3DS, with PAL being the third one I didn't mention earlier. It's based on which countries used which TV standards in the 20th century, for some reason.

That might be at least part of the reason. If true, that annoys me even more, since as far as I know a PAL 3DS and a NTSC 3DS are effectively the same except for that seemingly arbitrary regional lock-out. Especially since all previous Nintendo handhelds did not have that limitation (except for DSiWare).

Although a Brazilian user on here managed to snag the game and they're part of the PAL region. It's confusing.

Chimpzy:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Chimpzy:
snip

That might be at least part of the reason. If true, that annoys me even more, since as far as I know a PAL 3DS and a NTSC 3DS are effectively the same except for that seemingly arbitrary regional lock-out. Especially since all previous Nintendo handhelds did not have that limitation (except for DSiWare).

Although a Brazilian user on here managed to snag the game and they're part of the PAL region. It's confusing.

Nintendo wiki puts Brazil in their NTSC region: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Regions

I'm guessing it doesn't match up to the real world standards, if Brazil was really a PAL country back in the day. For that matter France had SECAM instead of PAL or NTSC, and Nintendo just put them in the PAL region.

Edit: Not that I'm excusing the region locking, I find it as dumb as anyone, probably dumber than a lot of people. I'm just explaining some of the weirdness in which countries are and are not blocked.

AeroZeppelinSevenfold:

Hmm. I certainly understand why we would like that. But for them, it's just good business sense. See, the game isn't prohibitively expensive, but in my case for example, I haven't purchased it because it's never been on my mind to do so. When I go the e-shop I get what I intended to get all along, and then I get out. Other people though, shop with a different mindset. They may have a goal but are willing to look around at the other titles too - or they log in just to shop; and then if they see something they fancy, they will buy it.

But with a limited time offer (lto) like this, they will attract a large group of people in a contained time-frame, including me, to pick it up and likely see other titles of interest and think, "Hey, I got this for free - I can use the money I would have spent on this (even if I never intended to spend money on it) on this Phoenix Wright game I saw when I logged in. Score."

It's also pretty straight forward as an offer (not like how lto sales are often full of exclusions, and hoops to jump through). It allows them to, in a controlled way, invite you into their market place, offer you something for your trouble, with the goal of you maybe dropping some cash on your way, or coming back for more, or giving them positive word of mouth - and having you feel good about the whole experience.

It also sets the precedent. So the customer will be hoping, maybe even expecting that if they miss this, it would happen again sometime and they may check in from time to time to see what's going on. Depending on what kind of mindset they have when they shop (or how much self control they have) they may spend money each time they check.

But if they announced that it was free forever, we would care about it today and then never again. And that would apply regardless of customer type. Anyway, I hope that helps some.

Chimpzy:

I wonder if Canada can sneak in. Sometimes they let us, sometimes they don't!

Holy shit, I'm telling everyone I know about this. I owned a Gameboy Advance copy of this game and rarely had anyone to play it with. Now I'll have TONS of people to play this game with. :D

Australia rarely gets any free promos, fucking companies.

Thanks for NOT telling us that this was just another geoblocked US only thing where the rest of the world can just get [REDACTED]

Shinsei-J:

I was really pumped to play this game once I read the article but now I just want to cry.
I hate Australia...

I was just about to ask......

...nvm....

*long drawn out sigh*

Weaver:

Chimpzy:

I wonder if Canada can sneak in. Sometimes they let us, sometimes they don't!

They can. If you're anywhere in North America, South america, or most of Asia, there's a good chance you can get it. We already had a Canadian and a Brazilian earlier up in the thread saying they were able to get it, which makes it sound like it's for the entire NTSC region, and not just certain countries on the store. Still sucks for the other half of the world, but for once it's not US only.

What? Do we Aussies not exist or what?
WTF is this?

Vaccine:
Australia rarely gets any free promos, fucking companies.

I was so looking forward to Monster Hunter going on sale for the Wii U, in the US $20, our sale price? $59.99, was expecting $40... Am disappointed, am downloading the demo now though to see if I will enjoy the game.

Jaylo69:
What? Do we Aussies not exist or what?
WTF is this?

Neither do us Kiwis. Never mind the fact we pay more for everything, we also miss out on deals and freebies.

i could never play this, i loved link to the past so i had to get it for my GBA but could never play 4 swords due to non of my friends at the time either owning a gba or have the interest in Zelda. :(

Shinsei-J:

I hate Australia...

Coming from someone who is a super duper mega ultra fan of the series, you won't miss much by not playing this Zelda game. If you like the idea of Four Swords, just play Four Swords Adventures, you'll have a lot more fun with that game. The original is basically the bare minimum of what a Zelda game is. It's still fun, but all you do is fight enemies, hunt down keys by solving super simple puzzles, and collect rupees. It only covers maybe 30 percent of what you do in a regular Zelda game.

I should point out I've only played it alone, it probably is more fun with four players, but Four Swords Adventures was fun with single player despite being made for multiple players. I guess it's good to know the only mediocre game in the series(in my opinion) was just a simple multiplayer mode.

Nintendo: Arbitrary Regional Restrictions R Us

Garbdarmit, I got excited when I read I'd have a second chance to get the game. :/

I'm gonna agree with the notion that this is pretty dumb and shortsighted. This is a game designed for multiple players, and yet they're only releasing it for a miniscule period of time, in a tiny location, thus assuring beyond shadow of a doubt that it's going to be incredibly difficult to find anyone to play with, especially after that one weekend.

While simultaneously refusing to make money on it by releasing it year round.

These type of bizarre business practices are why you're losing money!

well it sucks offered in america but good new for me is I live in america
yay I have chance to play a zelda game I never was able to play and it's free. If only I had some some to play this with. I will try single player for now.

edit: it's playable on single player but not a very interesting so far. I still have a link between worlds on hero mode to beat and that is currently far more interesting. After I beat a link between worlds on hero mode; I might give four swords another chance. If I get someone to play 4 swords it with then it will be a higher priority.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here