Kodoku Pits Man Against Creepy Japanese Horror

Kodoku Pits Man Against Creepy Japanese Horror

If you think "survival horror" means zombies and shotguns, Kodoku would like to reintroduce you to a concept called fear.

The horror genre isn't what it used to be - these days you're either a gung ho action hero fighting vaguely scary monsters, or you're solving puzzles with the occasional jump scare. Carnivore Studios would like to change that. Kodoku, currently in development for PS4 and PS Vita, is a new survival horror game that's hard to describe as anything but "unique". And maybe also "Japanese."

Kodoku takes place on an island inhabited by strange creatures inspired by Japanese folklore, which (judging from the short teaser) mostly seem to involve human heads on things that shouldn't have human heads. Players won't be able to fight their way out of every situation, and will need to use strategy, stealth, and a handful of magic talismans to survive.

"This game means a lot to us," says studio founder Romain Toutain. "We wanted an original art direction, a very specific mood and general feeling - decisions which, we think, will lead to a unique horror experience."

The team is drawing inspiration from a variety of Japanese legends, hence the title: Kodoku is a sort of poisonous magic that, according to folklore, involves trapping a bunch of insects and letting them kill each other until one remains. The last bug can be used to poison one's enemies, or serve as a good luck charm and bring wealth to its owner - until the owner stops feeding it, at which point it devours them. So watch out for that - as a metaphor, or as a giant killer insect - when Kodoku arrives in 2015.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Been ages since a game actually scared me, and I've played Amnesia, Outlast and Condemend.

But hey, maybe it just takes something new to trigger the kind of yellow-pants-fear I had when I played Silent Hill at the age of thirteen. :D

Cognimancer:
Players won't be able to fight their way out of every situation, and will need to use strategy, stealth, and a handful of magic talismans to survive.

...as well as a 9x9 grid where you have to re-arrange 1 of each type of 9 different monsters in rows, columns, and 3x3 sections without repeating monsters.

Or was that a different game I'm thinking of when I see the word "Kodoku". :)

Did anyone else mis-read the title as 'Kotaku Pits Man Against Creepy Japanese Horror'? Because I did, and was really disappointed that they hadn't given up on the news business and started kidnapping people to pit them against...whatever constitutes as 'Creepy Japanese Horror'.

Knife-28:
Did anyone else mis-read the title as 'Kotaku Pits Man Against Creepy Japanese Horror'? Because I did, and was really disappointed that they hadn't given up on the news business and started kidnapping people to pit them against...whatever constitutes as 'Creepy Japanese Horror'.

What I thought as well. Like they had trapped people in a room with silent hill monsters.

The game looks interesting at least.

That trailer really doesn't tell us anything about what the final game will be like. It's just a short series of weird images. So terrifying! Hum.

Eh, sounds good to me! I just hope the final game has those gigantic skeleton ghost things from Japanese folklore. Those things are boss and incredibly creepy besides.

Just a gentle reminder that weird is not scary, guys. Weird is just confusing...
But whatever, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

I highly doubt the writer thinks there aren't really decent horror games anymore, but that opening statement at least seems to be a concept many people still have. "Man..no good horror games". It aggravates me a bit. I guess they tend to forget oh I don't know Slenderman, Outlast, Amnesia, Lone Survivor and a host of others on the horizon. Mainstream horror games, generally yes. Most large company's horror policy I imagine something along the lines of "If you can't blow the shit out of it, then don't bother." Unoriginal title aside, I was excited hearing of The Evil Within, then sort of lost interest after the demo trailer. "Oh no run away from chainsaw guy, uh-oh he has a chainsaw what is he gonna do? Oh my god he is cutting you with it, wow! look at the blood and guts, LOOK AT IT." Ok, Routine. Show me what you got.

Chaosian:
Just a gentle reminder that weird is not scary, guys. Weird is just confusing...
But whatever, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Weird is pretty close to freaky, and freaky can be preeetty scary.

In my opinion, anyways.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here