Play as a Female Warrior in War of the Vikings

Pages PREV 1 2 3

thaluikhain:

Jasper van Heycop:
Maybe for ceremonial or dueling purposes but not likely on the battlefield. Both Vikings and Saxons (and most other Dark Age armies) fought in close formations called shieldwalls, a weapon that needs to be swung in wide arcs is highly impractical in such a situation.

I was led to believe that people armed this way would fight in their own units instead of shieldwalls. Hmmm...have to look this up...

From wiki, about the Battle of Hastings:

"The English army consisted entirely of infantry. It is possible that some of the higher class members of the army rode to battle, but when battle was joined they dismounted to fight on foot.[l] The core of the army was made up of housecarls, full-time professional soldiers. Their armour consisted of a conical helmet, a mail hauberk, and a shield, which might be either kite-shaped or round.[72] Most housecarls fought with the two-handed Danish battleaxe, but they could also carry a sword.[73] The rest of the army was made up of levies from the fyrd, also infantry but more lightly armoured and not professionals. Most of the infantry would have formed part of the shield wall, in which all the men in the front ranks locked their shields together. Behind them would have been axemen and men with javelins as well as archers."

Then I concede defeat, mighty fine show sir!

Thoralata:

BigTuk:
Meh, geee we have female models in our game...

When did that actually becomea selling point... no seriously Unreal 1 had female models in it and more that any player could mod in.. Heck Duke3d Had them...

I guess the more newsworthy topic is that they're planning for their characters to be reasonably designed and wearing practical battle armor. After a while, there's only so many times a game can do something like this...

...Before people start rolling their eyes and telling game developers to grow the hell up. So the reason this is newsworthy is because you now have some game developers starting to pull their heads out of their asses and realize "Hey, I think making female characters look like a peep-show attraction might be a bad thing."

And yeah, the gaming community can bitch and moan about "This isn't news!" or the usual shit that comes out of places like 4Chan, but it's still a mark that some devs are starting to move forward with character design.

Someone misinformed you. Dragon's Crown wasn't their Viking/Norse themed game, it was Odin's Sphere:

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/odin-sphere/odin-sphere-velvet-gwendolyn-art.jpg

And no, it was never "a bad thing". Nor advertised as "based on historical notions".

Pretty sure Kamitani's head was never in anyone's ass, too.

Let's try to reclaim this thread from this stupid argument of whether or not the soviets had women in a combat role. Is thread derailing against the rules?

I like the attention to detail and following along with the cultures as to how they would be equipped.

Personally, I think a better choice would be how Eowyn would have been equipped if she had been allowed to serve openly. She'd have had a fine suit of armor, probably quite similar to her brother Eomer's armor. It makes more sense because she actually put on armor when she fought. Arya never did and if she wore something heavier than a leather vest, it would slow her down and effect her swordplay.

Jasper van Heycop:

Lotet:

Jasper van Heycop:
Not very historically accurate, but then accuracy was tossed out the window the moment they decided to include two handed axes, it just isn't a practical weapon and vikings would choose anything else really.

A raging battlefield, with hundreds, maybe thousands dying all around you, the Chaos of War, but a big chopping axe? How unrealistic thus realism has been thrown out the window, ALL realism is gone.

Like my exaggerations?

I don't see what you're getting at here really? I just tried to point out that the people claiming it's not historically accurate to include women don't have a point if the first screenshot already features an inaccurate portrayal of both armament and tactics used

My point was that 2 Handed Axes are an odd point to say that "accuracy was tossed out the window"

No Viking EVER used a 2 Handed Axe in Battle. NEVER. You've just thrown realism out the window!
Using BOTH hands to wield an axe!?

Of course you didn't use caps and exclamation marks.

capcha: 'over the top'
relevant?

WouldYouKindly:
Let's try to reclaim this thread from this stupid argument of whether or not the soviets had women in a combat role.

There was never such an argument here.

hazabaza1:
Yeah alright this is really cool and everything but holy shit

Wait a minute, that's not Midgard! That is SPARTA!

I'm sorry, but it did need to be done. :-)

I think this is a nice addition to include playable female models that are reasonably designed. It's good to see these kinds of options being available to those who want them are starting to become a thing.

Now, let's get back to talking about rape and the horrors of Nanjing and stupid unrelated shit like that because we just can't have some fun with our video games.

Lunncal:

Surely you must agree that deliberately spreading misinformation in order to sell a game as historically accurate is a crappy thing to do? That's what seems to be happening here.

I accept that stance. As a history teacher myself I agree that selling something as historically accurate while it is actually not is not a good thing.
However, if they just say something is 'historically inspired' that would be ok.

This game looks pretty cool, but I can't help but feel incredibly cynical about this, as if this is just now mandatory PR for upcoming games: "Hmmm, need to drum up publicity for our game: I know! Release a article that just says FEMALE CHARACTER MODELS INCLUDED and watch the views come rolling in!"

hazabaza1:
Yeah alright this is really cool and everything but holy shit
Look at that guy! He did a flying kick upwards. You don't do that shit. He's gonna snap his nuts open or something!

Saxon: You can't defeat me! This high ground gives me +3 to all my defensive stats and allows me to add +2 to all damage rolls!

Viking 1: THIS! IS! NORWAY!

*Kick*

Saxon: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-*Crunch*

Viking 2: Awesome kick dude... dude?

VIking 1: OH GODS, MY LEGS, MY BALLS, MY PELVIS! OH FUCK, DEATH MUST HURT LESS THAN THIS! DX

OT: I do like they are allowing to play as either gender, and I hope they stick to their promise to not send out bikini vikings to fight.

It sounds like an interesting game if I ever get a good enough PC for gaming I'd like to give it a try just because of the setting and I can be a fem character its the other reason I like the idea of mount and blade as well. I really loved how he said he wanted the fem characters to be ready for battle not comic con that was hilarious I say something similar often when asked how I'd like a fem lead to be made for battle. If they decide to port this over to the consoles down the line I would definitely pick it up and give it a try.

Didn't they find about 6 viking grave sites of "men" killed in battles invading England, but upon inspecting the bones realized that they were a lot of women in those graves?

Ah, here it is: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/07/invasion-of-the-viking-women-unearthed/1?csp=34tech&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-TechTopStories+%28Tech+-+Top+Stories%29#.UvFVLbSGeHQ

One of the problems is that the language that the Vikings spoke was very gender neutral. When you are raised in a strict gendered society, it's difficult to translate a language for a culture that is not. You add to that, the majority of the historians and archeologist being men with the idea in their head only men wear armor and fight in wars, they don't bother to really look that there are women there.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here