Nintendo Was Advised To Make Pokemon "Brawny" to Sell Well

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Was Advised To Make Pokemon "Brawny" to Sell Well

Nintendo says it will work to bring games previously deemed "too Japanese," such as Tomodachi Collection, to the West.

Pikachu, the official mascot of the Pokemon franchise, is recognized globally as the cute, yellow, electric rat. But, he was almost transformed into a brawny mass of muscle for his intial release, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata reveals. "This cute yellow thing is not a monster, everyone told us," said Iwata. He said that mock-ups of a beefy, muscular Pikachu were created, and the Nintendo boss at the time, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, was advised that only a complete redrawing would make the Pokemon game sell well.

But, Yamaguchi dug his heels in, and refused to alter everyone's favorite rodent, alongside the rest of the Pokemon cast. "When you adapt too much, you lose what's unique about you," Iwata reflected. Iwata's words ring true with what the very essence of Nintendo is about. To Nintendo, quality of content matters far more than appeasing current trends, and the company was able to devote years to the development of games and create hit after hit after hit.

However, in facing three straight years of losses and a very lukewarm reception to the Wii U, Nintendo's strategy of staying firm until the world adapts to it is failing. Iwata agrees, it's time to change. "We need to work even more closely with the U.S. team, to make sure preferences in the U.S. are reflected at the development stage," Iwata said.

He confirmed that Tomodachi Collection - or "Friend Collection" - a 3DS life simulation game in which Miis from consoles can interact with one another and develop via various activities, is currently being localized for a Western release, and that the company will consider localizing games that were, in the past, deemed "too Japanese" to succeed abroad.

Iwata. Mother 3. Plz.

Source: Wall Street Journal

I still think Eevee should be the mascot for Pokemon. It's cute, embodies the fact that Pokemon can evolve over time with either levels, stones, or friendship, and it shows off many of the types that are in Pokemon.

Really I've never liked Pikachu much as well. It has terrible stats, had to be given an item in Gen 3 to make it good, and it's evolved form is much better. Not to mention the fact that it will always have the stench of failure around it since Pikachu lost to a level 5 Snivy thanks to this failure of a trainer:

This message is brought to you by the "Please Make Eevee the Pokemon Mascot Coalition"

I second the 'Mother 3 plz'

Cmon developers and publishers, making everything a sequel is your thing, time to put that tired mindset to actual good use.

I do kinda get what they mean. The West seems(seemed) to have an abhorrent phobia of anything cute or effeminate-looking afflicting their kids with 'teh gay' for a long while there in the 70's all the way up to the late 90's.

But I like to think as time has marched on that's become less and less of an issue.

Its not pokemon. That was a gigantic hit in the 90s, even with homophobia and xenophobia.

Its not muscles. Pokemon sold fine.

Its not even americans. They bought pokemon in droves before.

Its Nintendo's not only arrogant business practice but also their complete disconnect with average gamers now after 30 years of runaway success.

They thought that they stand tall and everyone will come grovelling regardless of what they do. That no longer happens. People no longer throw money around anymore, this isn't 2006. You can't be top dog for 30 years and expect it to continue when you put in literally no effort. Microsoft and Sony learned that the hard way.

They had an entire generation to learn how to make HD games cheaply and quickly. They had an entire generation to think ahead and do a huge marketing push. It had an entire generation and even an entire year on top of that to prepare.

The wii was a huge success that printed money, they didn't need to really manage shit. That opens up a whole lot of time for planning.

They could have come out swinging. They could have laid both Microsoft and Sony out before E3 came around. They could have taken so much advantage over the DRM scare to promote the wii u. They had so much time to get developers on board and pay them for exclusives from the war chest.

They had everything going for them, and they did nothing.

Let's face it, America ain't exactly welcoming to cultural differences and it seems Western gaming as a whole treats bright, colorful, or cute stuff with disdain unless it's done in an "ironic" retro fashion. I mean, seriously, how many times have we seen people use "Japanese", "anime", or "pretty boy" in a pejorative fashion? It really comes off as encouraging homogenization and blandness. And that's before I get into the xenophobic aspects going on

Ultratwinkie:
Its not pokemon. That was a gigantic hit in the 90s, even with homophobia and xenophobia.

Its Nintendo's not only arrogant business practice but also their complete disconnect with average gamers now after 30 years of runaway success.

They thought that they stand tall and everyone will come grovelling regardless of what they do. That no longer happens. People no longer throw money around anymore, this isn't 2006. You can't be top dog for 30 years and expect it to continue when you put in literally no effort. Microsoft and Sony learned that the hard way.

They had an entire generation to learn how to make HD games cheaply and quickly. They had an entire generation to think ahead and do a huge marketing push. It had an entire generation and even an entire year on top of that to prepare.

The wii was a huge success that printed money, they didn't need to really manage shit. That opens up a whole lot of time for planning.

They could have come out swinging. They could have laid both Microsoft and Sony out before E3 came around. They could have taken so much advantage over the DRM scare to promote the wii u. They had so much time to get developers on board and pay them for exclusives from the war chest.

They had everything going for them, and they did nothing.

you have pretty much hit the nail on the head there. they released first had quite a head start and they just sat on their laurels and waited for nintendo fans to buy the console and games like they always do and frankly its not working anymore.

they are finally pulling their finger out and trying to regain lost ground but this is what they should of been doing at release

Don't listen to America...they don't even know what they want.

Recently I was talking to a student about cultural expectations in gaming. There seems a lot of market data going around that is taken as gold and is applied to EVERYTHING. Even though much of it is obviously outdated. Especially in gaming I believe that this can hurt the medium a lot. Making games based on market research is required for big AAA titles. But it is the death of every original IP and probably the reason why new IPs are few and far between each year...

It's a good thing Nintendo did not rely on this. Let's hope they can be successful without doing so for a long time.

Listening to the desires of a global/American market? Great idea!

Listening to data collected by outdated market analysis practices? Terrible idea!

The US is a big place; it home to people with good taste, and people with poor taste. I'm afraid [gender, age bracket] simply isn't going to cut it anymore.

Good on them for sticking to their guns. I don't get what the execs were complaining about on this one. The advantage of Pokemon is that there are creatures who cater to all kinds. On the one hand there's the cute ones like Pikachu, Jigglypuff or Eevee, but then there's also your Charizards, your Machamps and your Mewtwos that are more for lack of a better word, 'masculine'.

Well, I'm glad it didn't turned out like this:

The virtual boy also failed because its games where to "japanese"... had nothing to do with the fact that it was not a good console.

Also the Wii U sales arent only low in the west.. the asian market hasnt been gobbling up the console either. Are japanese games now to japanese for the asian market?

And if japanese games are to japanese for the western market how come Atlus is having one success after another? I cant imagine any game more japanese then the Disgea series with flatchested loli chars in skimpy outfits blowing up legions of enemies while riding dragons, demons and catgirls, sexual innuendo aplenty and lame slapstick jokes that are so bad they are good again... covered in a storyline that can be surprisingly deep at times. Oh and ofcourse solid game mechanics. And dont get me started about the Persona series of games.

Sorry to say nintendo its not the games... its you.

The Wii U has no 3rd party support whatsoever in the west, its hardware is completly beaten by sony and Microsoft. Its online infrastructure sucks too and has been for a while. And ontop of that while you bring out a new gimmicky controler every other week your own games have become the epitome of staleness.

Its not japanese games being to japanese.. its you nintendo thinking you can ship a console on nothing but 3 household titles and tons of random crappy shovelware alone. All the casual gamers have moved onto mobile devises.. guess youre simply not the market for those people anymore... sound familiar nintendo?

How did the author of this piece manage to repeatedly butcher the name of the late Nintendo president into "Hiroshi Yamaguchi". The Wall Street Journal article this piece cites didn't make that mistake, so there's no excuse here. :/

lol to people asking Nintendo to become the same thing as Xbox and PS as if that was better for anyone. And then the same people say they don't like Nintendo games, so why should that matter? They won't buy it anyway.

It's also interesting to note that Japanese have a little bit of fame of beig racist and xenofobia, but the west seems really egocentric and entitled to everything, specially USA.

Karadalis:
The virtual boy also failed because its games where to "japanese"... had nothing to do with the fact that it was not a good console.

Also the Wii U sales arent only low in the west.. the asian market hasnt been gobbling up the console either. Are japanese games now to japanese for the asian market?

And if japanese games are to japanese for the western market how come Atlus is having one success after another? I cant imagine any game more japanese then the Disgea series with flatchested loli chars in skimpy outfits blowing up legions of enemies while riding dragons, demons and catgirls, sexual innuendo aplenty and lame slapstick jokes that are so bad they are good again... covered in a storyline that can be surprisingly deep at times. Oh and ofcourse solid game mechanics. And dont get me started about the Persona series of games.

Sorry to say nintendo its not the games... its you.

The Wii U has no 3rd party support whatsoever in the west, its hardware is completly beaten by sony and Microsoft. Its online infrastructure sucks too and has been for a while. And ontop of that while you bring out a new gimmicky controler every other week your own games have become the epitome of staleness.

Its not japanese games being to japanese.. its you nintendo thinking you can ship a console on nothing but 3 household titles and tons of random crappy shovelware alone. All the casual gamers have moved onto mobile devises.. guess youre simply not the market for those people anymore... sound familiar nintendo?

Hardware never mattered. The reason 3rd parties don't make games for the Wii U is not that, it's something else. It's just stupid excuses, N64 didn't have discs so they couldn't develop 3rd parties, GC, I don't even know the excuse at the time, but probably because it used mini discs, then with the Wii and Wii U was hardware. Always such bullshit, specially with the Wii U which is not like the difference between PS3-Wii, it's much less noticeable.
Fact is, 3rd parties can't make good enough games to compete with Nintendo ones.

Karadalis:

Well, that's a bit of a false equivalency. Atlus games are successful for what they are: Most of the games feature either a 2-d sprite art style or a very rudimentary 3-d model system, with the cutscenes generally replaced by graphic-novel style static images and text. The end result is that they get long, deep games at a fraction of the cost of AAA games.

HOWEVER, it's very much necessary that they take those steps, because when an Atlus game "sells well" it's important to remember that it's selling well only by the standards of a japanese game.

Take 3 of the more successful japanese game out west in recent years (not counting dark souls, because that was lightning in a bottle) Persona 3, Persona 4, and Catherine. They were all resounding successes that left their mark on the gaming community, but they each only managed to sell around 600-800 thousand copies outside japan. For JRPGs, that number is phenomenal, but considering that the average AAA offering can expect to push a few million at the least, and the games that really count as successes consider numbers as high as 5 million disappointing, the number a japanese game can push in the west looks fairly insignificant.

Nintendo games don't cost as much to produce as the standard AAA game, but they're considerably more expensive than the niche RPGs Atlus carries over, so they can't just copy that company's business model.

valium:
I second the 'Mother 3 plz'

Cmon developers and publishers, making everything a sequel is your thing, time to put that tired mindset to actual good use.

That already happened on Gameboy Advance. In Japan. But there is a translated version you can find online. Unless you meant that you'd like an official localization and release.

"We need to work even more closely with the U.S. team, to make sure preferences in the U.S. are reflected at the development stage," Iwata said.

I think he may be missing the point.

It's not that the games aren't "American enough", it is that they keep making the same games over and over again. There are only so many times people are willing to buy the same thing with some slight variations before it begins to get stale. Just look at COD and Halo. COD is very slowly starting to decay and Halo is no longer the game people buy an Xbox for.

Eventually people start to crave something else. It doesn't mean it's because Japanese style games are not enjoyed.

One of the things I do really like about Nintendo: they know what they are good at and they don't try to appeal to those who don't agree with them. Sadly, this has also lead to a million releases each of their major franchises. I hope they keep in mind what their fans like about their games.

Unfortunately, I can't say anything on the matter on my social networks because I have a friend who likes to argue with me EVERY TIME. Anytime I say Nintendo needs to get their act together he tells me "They aren't doing that bad. Once they get Zelda and Mario out there they will do way better." or that the loses they've taken don't matter since...they are Nintendo or some junk like that. He can never give me a proper excuse and acts like I hate Nintendo, when I just want them to do better. However once I mention that he ridicules me and says something like "I expect to see you in the news then for changing Nintendo by yourself", when that's not my point...the more people that are aware Nintendo can change, the more people can do something. But he just says Nintendo would never listen. Oh yeah...they will if they want to start making money again.

They were advised to make them more brawny? Seriously? Well, here's another example of what would've come of that:

And that's for a creature whose name translates as "Sparkle-squeak". Yeaaaahhh...

Nintendo should drop from the console market and stick to handhelds. That is their strength, because as good as the PS4 may be, the PSP/Vita is still worse than the 3DS.

SuperTrainStationH:
How did the author of this piece manage to repeatedly butcher the name of the late Nintendo president into "Hiroshi Yamaguchi". The Wall Street Journal article this piece cites didn't make that mistake, so there's no excuse here. :/

It's Escapist policy to have typos aplenty in articles. You get used to it after a while unfortunately.

It's clearly not an issue of games being 'too Japanese' because otherwise the WiiU would be selling like used panties in Japan but apparently it's not. I'd rather they come up with some decent new IPs, not rehashing old games with a fresh coat of paint and a U put on the end of the title.

Neronium:
I still think Eevee should be the mascot for Pokemon. It's cute, embodies the fact that Pokemon can evolve over time with either levels, stones, or friendship, and it shows off many of the types that are in Pokemon.

[spoiler=Oh, and did I mention: It's so damn cute!]

I would like to join your cause. Eevee is awesome.

Also, screw Pikachu.

Ultratwinkie:

Amen. I'd point out this wasn't even really true in the 90s. People weren't eschewing Nintendo because they made rolly polly Mario or elf-like Link. If anything, this advice seems like it is out of touch with what Americans will support.

Aiddon:
Let's face it, America ain't exactly welcoming to cultural differences and it seems Western gaming as a whole treats bright, colorful, or cute stuff with disdain unless it's done in an "ironic" retro fashion. I mean, seriously, how many times have we seen people use "Japanese", "anime", or "pretty boy" in a pejorative fashion? It really comes off as encouraging homogenization and blandness. And that's before I get into the xenophobic aspects going on

And yet, the things that get insulted are the ones that sell.

pearcinator:

They know what they don't want, and they don't want the Wii U. Nintendo can ignore America, but doing so only hurts them in the end.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

It's also interesting to note that Japanese have a little bit of fame of beig racist and xenofobia, but the west seems really egocentric and entitled to everything, specially USA.

Yes, it is the epitome of entitlement to not buy a product you don't like.

Hardware never mattered. The reason 3rd parties don't make games for the Wii U is not that, it's something else. It's just stupid excuses, N64 didn't have discs so they couldn't develop 3rd parties, GC, I don't even know the excuse at the time, but probably because it used mini discs, then with the Wii and Wii U was hardware. Always such bullshit, specially with the Wii U which is not like the difference between PS3-Wii, it's much less noticeable.
Fact is, 3rd parties can't make good enough games to compete with Nintendo ones.

At some point, the excuses for why it's not Nintendo's fault have to end.

Legion:

It's not that the games aren't "American enough", it is that they keep making the same games over and over again. There are only so many times people are willing to buy the same thing with some slight variations before it begins to get stale. Just look at COD and Halo. COD is very slowly starting to decay and Halo is no longer the game people buy an Xbox for.

Eventually people start to crave something else. It doesn't mean it's because Japanese style games are not enjoyed.

I would point out that the last Mario title wasn't the system seller they had counted on in Japan, either. Wii U doesn't just have a "Western" problem, anyway. This strikes me as a rather passive-aggressive excuse.

balladbird:

Well, that's a bit of a false equivalency. Atlus games are successful for what they are: Most of the games feature either a 2-d sprite art style or a very rudimentary 3-d model system, with the cutscenes generally replaced by graphic-novel style static images and text. The end result is that they get long, deep games at a fraction of the cost of AAA games.

HOWEVER, it's very much necessary that they take those steps, because when an Atlus game "sells well" it's important to remember that it's selling well only by the standards of a japanese game.

Take 3 of the more successful japanese game out west in recent years (not counting dark souls, because that was lightning in a bottle) Persona 3, Persona 4, and Catherine. They were all resounding successes that left their mark on the gaming community, but they each only managed to sell around 600-800 thousand copies outside japan. For JRPGs, that number is phenomenal, but considering that the average AAA offering can expect to push a few million at the least, and the games that really count as successes consider numbers as high as 5 million disappointing, the number a japanese game can push in the west looks fairly insignificant.

Nintendo games don't cost as much to produce as the standard AAA game, but they're considerably more expensive than the niche RPGs Atlus carries over, so they can't just copy that company's business model.

I do always find it funny how people cite one or two examples and pretend that's indicative of a larger trend. Fact of the matter is that there has been a large sentiment within the gaming community and the gaming press that Japanese games are somehow "inferior" and thus are given a LOT less praise than Western ones. Heck, we label Japanese RPGS as "JRPGs", like they're not REAL RPGs. And of course I've seen legions of people pretend like Dark Souls isn't a JRPG because reasons. It's kind of a borderline xenophobic outlook with people not being very welcoming to other cultures and ideas.

And here I am, still waiting for them to release Pokémon Bank.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

I dont understand why even if im in favor of Nintendo succeeding and not going 3rd party i still have to quote this everytime someone doesnt understand why there isnt 3rd party games in the Wii U:

Pete Hines:

The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed

The box is out. You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time. It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint.

You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it,' - well, no! No is my answer!

I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work.

There you go :), also dont go around believing what EA said, we all know those guys are full of shit

pearcinator:

short, cruel and full of truth, thats the kind of posts i love.

Also, i really hope they dont try to follow the westernization way that Capcom tried.... Lost Planet 3 made my eyes bleed, and Lost Planet 2 was one of the best TPS of the 7th gen, it failed because it was bashed by a bunch of ignorant reviewers who didnt even knew the controls of the damn game, its almost like they were payed to give it bad reviews...

reiniat:

Pete Hines:

The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed

The box is out. You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time. It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint.

You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it,' - well, no! No is my answer!

I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work.

Dear Buddha, Hines is a whiny little bastard in that. Why should 3rd parties get to decide how hardware makers design their consoles? He's basically going "I don't like this, AND I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU AND I'M GONNA HOLD MY BREATH AND STAMP MY FEET UNTIL YOU DO EXACTLY WANT I SAY!!!!!" Really? Nintendo didn't treat you like a special little snow flake so you're gonna kick and scream until you get your way? This is the kind of behavior I'd expect out of a ungrateful, spoiled child, not a grown man who's the Vice-President of a company worth hundreds of millions. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

Know what? I'm going to take a different route with this article. Pokemon- A game that appeals to folks of all ages was told by American advisors to make Pikachu more brawny . As in appeal to boys more as opposed to appealing to boys and girls. Isn't that something? Right off the bat the videogame market only cared about one demographic. Boys. No one else.

And the funny thing is is that Pikachu is cool among the boys and cute among the girls as is.

I have a feeling if the videogame market didn't decide right off the bat with no prior knowledge to start off as a boys club, I wonder how many issues would never come up that are prevalent today.

Funny. I always thought Pikachu, while I'm not a fan of it mostly due to its popularity, was a spectacularly designed Pokemon, cool enough to appeal to most boys, and cute enough to appeal to most girls. And I liked it chubby, but that might be nostalgia.

I tend to like tough-looking Pokemon, anyway. The mean-looking bug types like Pinsir, Yanmega and Scolipede and the chunky rock and ground types. But that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of cute Pokemon that I adore!

In a bizarre twist, I also like the pink Pokemon with a floral pattern.

Dragonbums:
Know what? I'm going to take a different route with this article. Pokemon- A game that appeals to folks of all ages was told by American advisors to make Pikachu more brawny . As in appeal to boys more as opposed to appealing to boys and girls. Isn't that something? Right off the bat the videogame market only cared about one demographic. Boys. No one else.

And the funny thing is is that Pikachu is cool among the boys and cute among the girls as is.

I have a feeling if the videogame market didn't decide right off the bat with no prior knowledge to start off as a boys club, I wonder how many issues would never come up that are prevalent today.

Well of course they would only care about boys; most of the people making games are male thus they make stuff that appeals to them and no one else. It's a lack of awareness that really doesn't help gaming expand.

SupahGamuh:
Well, I'm glad it didn't turned out like this:

That would be incredibly terrifying. It looks like someone ripped off pikachu's head and placed it on that...thing.

Karadalis:

Heres the thing thought about nintendo:

After square left nintendo behind what kind of JRPGs where left in nintendos lineup? What nintendo games where actually "to japanese" for the western market?

It's true that very few examples spring to mind off the top of my head, though I admit to not being an especially avid nintendo gamer, outside the handhelds. The only recent example that comes to mind is Xenoblade chronicles.

Though, I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the kind of person who discriminates based on the perceived culture of the product, so I may not be duly xenophobic enough. XD

Your point is a fair one.. atlus games either have anime style cutscenes or use their ingame graphics but then again.. you dont buy a game for the bloody cutscenes. And that they have sort of a niche market but thats usually the cause of old downtrodden game mechanics and ever repeating gameplay. Play one JRPG and you have played them all kinda mentality. It has nothing to do with japanese culture. Take Dragons dogma for example.. a great open world RPG hampered by tons of issues that have been worked out for years here in the west.

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I wasn't knocking Atlus, nor the games they make. I was only stating that Atlus and the companies it publishes find success because they cut costs so efficiently that they can turn a wide profit with only a fraction of the sales of major AAA games. Nintendo doesn't make games Atlus cheap, so I was just pointing out you can't look at Atlus as an example of what nintendo should be doing.

Legion:

"We need to work even more closely with the U.S. team, to make sure preferences in the U.S. are reflected at the development stage," Iwata said.

I think he may be missing the point.

I've seen several people posting this in this thread, and they've all missed the point themselves. He didn't say Nintendo games aren't doing well because they're too Japanese, he's saying they're going to start localizing games that, in the past, they wouldn't have brought over at all because /they/ were considered too Japanese, and Nintendo didn't think they'd sell. Tomodachi Collection is the one he's talking about bringing over in the first place, but it also brings to mind stuff like Mother 3, which something like 10 years on still hasn't made it out of Japan, despite the series having many western fans who have been begging for a localization this whole time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here