Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Oscar-Winning Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

Capote and Hunger Games actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York home due to an apparent drug overdose.

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman most know for his portrayal of Truman Capote in Capote and last seen in the Hunger Games: Catching Fire, has been found dead in his New York apartment of an apparent drug overdose at 11:30 a.m. today. According to to law enforcement officials, Hoffman, 46, was found by a friend, screenwriter David Katz, who had become concerned that he was not able to get in touch with Hoffman.

Officials mention that investigators found a syringe in the actor's arm and an envelope containing what's believed to be heroin. "It's pretty apparent that it was an overdose..The syringe was in his arm," an unnamed official said. The actor's hardships with substance abuse has been well documented, with Hoffman talking in interviews about "falling off the wagon" last year after being clean for 23 years.

Hoffman rose to fame with the 2005 film, Capote, where he played the titular role, and won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of the writer. He was set to reprise his role as Plutarch Heavensbee in the next entries in the Hunger Games films, Mockingjay Part 1 and 2, which is set to hit theaters in November 2014 and 2015 respectively.

Source: The New York Times

Before anyone says, "One person, etc.", this is extremely sad. Great actor and entertainer. He used his celebrity for good and did a ton for charities. To me, he's one of the few. This is a sad day.

PeePantz:
Before anyone says, "One person, etc.", this is extremely sad. Great actor and entertainer. He used his celebrity for good and did a ton for charities. To me, he's one of the few. This is a sad day.

yepp, and I feel that his role in along came polly is always foreshadowedforgotten by his other big movies...Personally I found him hilarious in that movie.

OT: sad day, good man, great actor, legacy that still had tons of time to do even more.

edit: used the word foreshadow there, and it made absolutely no sense, derp.

gmaverick019:

PeePantz:

yepp, and I feel that his role in along came polly is always foreshadowed by his other big movies...Personally I found him hilarious in that movie.

OT: sad day, good man, great actor, legacy that still had tons of time to do even more.

God! I love that movie because of him! Iceman!! Raindance! Sad day indeed.

I don't have much sympathy for drug addicts, but this is sad nonetheless.

Admittedly, I do wonder if his filming for Mockingjay was finished or not.

You guys are forgetting The Big Lebowski and his very first role in Law and Order in the very first season in the same episode with Samuel L Jackson.

Mahorfeus:

Apparently his scenes for part one are done. As for part two, we'll just have to wait and see.

Christ, this is fucking tragic. A talented actor with an incredible range. His work in things like 'Capote,' 'Synecdoche NY,' 'The Big Lebowski,' 'Happiness,' and 'The Master' was incredible. It's sad that his habit got the better of him.

Damn I've loved him in every role i've seen him in even that so bad its good performance in MI:3. Doubt was great and The Master was awesome.

martyrdrebel27:

Mahorfeus:

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but go fuck yourself you self-righteous twat. You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death. And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.

I don't mean to become a part of this debate, but I just have to say, not all drug addicts are full of pain and suffering. The universe isn't that poetic. Most drug users I have ever known in my life do that crap just to get high. Insert "Smoke weed everyday" soundbite here etc. etc.

I guess the odds weren't in his favour

I am so sorry but it had to be done

in all seriousness 46 is way too young to go, especially for an actor as good as him

Christ, this ruined my day. I really wish for once an actor or musician that dies young isn't one I really loved and appreciated. I mean not to seriously wish it because death like that is always sad but why can't it be someone like Shia Labouff where his movies won't be exactly missed by everyone... this is terrible news. RIP man

Tragic news. Completely came out of nowhere. I am shocked to see him go. :(

GenGenners:

martyrdrebel27:

Mahorfeus:

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but go fuck yourself you self-righteous twat. You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death. And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.

I don't mean to become a part of this debate, but I just have to say, not all drug addicts are full of pain and suffering. The universe isn't that poetic. Most drug users I have ever known in my life do that crap just to get high. Insert "Smoke weed everyday" soundbite here etc. etc.

you're absolutely right. But a few things here. One: we should never assume that drug addicts are a victim of their own nihilistic hedonism and instead either assume they had demons or not make judgments about their character at all. Two: think of the context of this story, a man who had everything going for him, had no reason to use, yet 25 years clean, couldn't stop himself. Now imagine carrying that demon with you for that long. It is an everyday struggle, especially im his position where he always had the money, you know he had he access. And he fought it off for so long. Even if he didn't start for tragic reasons, his struggle is not something anyone should dare judge him for. He was some strung out junkie fuckinnover friends and family...

God dammit. Just two days ago I was laughing myself stupid at his "sharted" line in Along Came Polly.

So long, PSH.

It's always very sad when drugs claim another victim. I thank actors and musicians for my avoidance of drugs.

martyrdrebel27:

Mahorfeus:

And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.

You mean kind of like your reactionary catch phrase to his comment... Hello Pot, this is Kettle.

martyrdrebel27:

Mahorfeus:

Self-righteous? Get over yourself. You see it fit to judge me for my opinions - having no idea how or why I might have them - while simultaneously telling me that I have no right to judge this man's decisions in life?

He could have been the greatest guy ever for all I know. He had people who loved him, adored him, and who will now miss him. But I have every right to individually acknowledge both his accomplishments and mistakes in life, and judge them accordingly. We all do. And when I'm dead and gone, I expect others to do the same for me.

I never really saw that many of his films but the ones I did see I loved. Especially Synecdoche, New York. He was a very talented actor. Sad that he is gone.

So... was it suicide? It wasn't, right? I mean drug overdose doesn't kill instantly so he'd have pulled that syringe out of his arm if he wasn't high beforehand, or does it?

Demagogue:

martyrdrebel27:

Mahorfeus:

And furthermore, to then acknowledge he had value as a person while simultaneously devaluing him as a drug addict just goes to show that you have no real cohesive opinion, but instead a reactionary catch phrase when presented with ideas outside of your own embarrassingly small world view.

You mean kind of like your reactionary catch phrase to his comment... Hello Pot, this is Kettle.

repackaging what I said to somehow make try and make me look silly is the lamest, most unintelligent and unoriginal internet tactic deployed. When I first came to the escapist, I enjoyed an intelligent, well rounded forum. As time goes on, more and more ruiners find their way here.

I have zero sympathy for drug addicts (especially celebrities) who kill themselves with an overdose. Everything that led to their death was 100% due to decisions they made while fully conscious of what they were getting into.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the man for his accomplishments and I'm sure Hollywood will miss him...but yeah, he pretty much threw his life away when he resorted to drugs.

martyrdrebel27:
You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death.

I've walked a mile in his shoes. It's called being a human being and choosing not to resort to drugs no matter what, lots of people do it just fine.

hazydawn:
So... was it suicide? It wasn't, right? I mean drug overdose doesn't kill instantly so he'd have pulled that syringe out of his arm if he wasn't high beforehand, or does it?

chances are, it wasn't his first high of the night. He had probably been shooting up 10 minutes before, started nodding out as he shot the last one and was already too messed up to move, let alone pull the needle out. Its not uncommon for junkies to die with a needle in their arm actually. If it WAS his first needle of the night, we're looking at possible manslaughter. See, people who either middle-man will cut a piece for themself, and recut the heroin with somethinelsr, like ambien, thinking the mixture will simulate the feeling well enough, not realizing the combo of heroin and ambien will kill you. Shitty dealers will do this as well, trying to make an extra buck, not realizing or caring that they're killing people.

Yuuki:
I have zero sympathy for drug addicts (especially celebrities) who kill themselves with an overdose. Everything that led to their death was 100% due to decisions they made while fully conscious of what they were getting into.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the man for his accomplishments and I'm sure Hollywood will miss him...but yeah, he pretty much threw his life away when he resorted to drugs.

martyrdrebel27:
You have no idea the pain and struggle that not only leads people to become drug addicts, but that they also go through as drug addicts. In that one sentence you've proven yourself to be a far worse person that any drug addict I've ever known or lost. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you dismiss their life and death.

I've walked a mile in his shoes. It's called being a human being and choosing not to resort to drugs no matter what, lots of people do it just fine.

that's such a small and myopic world view though. You can't honestly hink that because your life and your mind work that way that EVERYBODY else's does too. That's just not reality.

hazydawn:

Heroin overdoses can incapacitate the victim very quickly. I have had operations on my knees and I was put on a on demand morpholine drip. Just just press the button and you can feel it in seconds. Injecting straight into the veins spreads the drug very quickly around the body. He would have been unconscious very quickly.

martyrdrebel27:

Yuuki:

martyrdrebel27:

that's such a small and myopic world view though. You can't honestly hink that because your life and your mind work that way that EVERYBODY else's does too. That's just not reality.

By that same logic though, you can't just think that just because YOUR mind doesn't work that way, doesn't mean everyone else's doesn't.

Eri:

martyrdrebel27:

Yuuki:

By that same logic though, you can't just think that just because YOUR mind doesn't work that way, doesn't mean everyone else's doesn't.

no, but REALITY supports my viewpoint. Nobody sits in elementary school and says "I wanna be a junkie when I grow up!" the fact that some people tragically turn to hard drug use proves that ita a coping method some people use. And for some people, who may have grown up in households where drug use is the norm, it doesn't seem out of place for them to do the same thing. For an example that is more palatable, look at how many people take up smoking because their parents do. Its the same thing, a drug used to sedate an anxious mind.

seeing this whole conversation really saddens me at how little people understand drug addiction, and how little empathy people have for those who suffer. There is a distinction between someone who suffers and useless junkie. That is important to understand.

As little respect as I have for drug abusers to begin with, I have even less for those who fail to do it properly.

An embarrassing addiction met with an embarrassing death.

Found dead with a needle in your arm because you fucked up indulging your drug habit, what a pathetic way to go.

martyrdrebel27:

Well that mentality could be used as an excuse to pardon crimes ("it's not his fault he's a rapist!"), but that's not how it works and criminals still face justice...well, the ones who get caught anyway. There's a right and a wrong here.

One can end up doing getting into heroin and killing themselves as a result of something that happened in their lives, but that doesn't make it any less wrong especially when they are full-grown adults to be held accountable for their actions. This isn't some juvenile case where the parents/situation/etc can be blamed instead of the kid.

A construction worker getting crushed by a falling steel beam, a child death in a car crash...those are tragedies.
A 46 year old celebrity killing himself with a drug overdose...yeah, not really a tragedy as much as a "oh well". One could probably file it under suicide.

I'll never forget the first film I seen him in.

It was called Happiness.

He jizzed on a wall.

Yuuki:

martyrdrebel27:

Well that mentality could be used as an excuse to pardon crimes ("it's not his fault he's a rapist!"), but that's not how it works and criminals still face justice...well, the ones who get caught anyway. There's a right and a wrong here.

One can end up doing getting into heroin and killing themselves as a result of something that happened in their lives, but that doesn't make it any less wrong especially when they are full-grown adults to be held accountable for their actions. This isn't some juvenile case where the parents/situation/etc can be blamed instead of the kid.

A construction worker getting crushed by a falling steel beam, a child death in a car crash...those are tragedies.
A 46 year old celebrity killing himself with a drug overdose...yeah, not really a tragedy as much as a "oh well". One could probably file it under suicide.

I mean... You're not wrong, but.. The thing is, ugh, fuck it. I got a little overly defensive for sure, but I just hate how little is bothered to be understood about the mentality of addiction, with evidence showing that there may be a genetic disposition towards an addictive type personality. I'm less pissed now, definitely over reacted,.but personal connection to situations like these inform my opinion. I've known junkie idiots who died and I've known beautiful but lost people who died and both are viewed the same way, as a junkie waste, and that's just not the truth.

Yuuki:

martyrdrebel27:

Drug addiction is a mental disorder. Like any other disease, blaming the victim is not only absurd, but downright offensive. This is not to say that people suffering from this condition aren't responsible for their behavior, but it does mean that it isn't simply a question of choosing not to use. To be blunt: it's fucking hard. Falling off the wagon is quite common, and part of the healing process, and unfortunately, tragedies like this one happen.

So, fine. People judge, fair enough. But if you're gonna do it, get your facts straight, do some research and stop spouting nonsense you heard from a friend and/or the evening news. Jesus people, y'all have the internet. Fucking use it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17999268

I'll never forget him as Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman. Such a good actor.

Roma:
Drug addiction is a mental disorder. Like any other disease, blaming the victim is not only absurd, but downright offensive. This is not to say that people suffering from this condition aren't responsible for their behavior, but it does mean that it isn't simply a question of choosing not to use. To be blunt: it's fucking hard. Falling off the wagon is quite common, and part of the healing process, and unfortunately, tragedies like this one happen.

So, fine. People judge, fair enough. But if you're gonna do it, get your facts straight, do some research and stop spouting nonsense you heard from a friend and/or the evening news. Jesus people, y'all have the internet. Fucking use it.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17999268

In order to suffer from the mental disorder known as "drug addiction", one must already be a drug addict to begin with. In order for drugs to fundamentally re-wire someone's brain to the point of severe addiction/dependency, they must first be consumed in by the person over a long enough period of time (or frequency).
I only had to read the first sentence of that article you linked me before I read the word "long-term", at which point I stopped reading because...no shit, long-term of ANYTHING nasty is going to fuck people up.

But who's decision is it to start that process? People. People make the decision.

The same thing can be applied to financial debt, non-illness-related obesity, alcoholism, smoking, etc. If people choose to walk down that path (for whatever reason) and dig themselves into a deep enough hole, OF COURSE it's going to become "fucking hard" to come back. That's the point they have reached.

Mind you, if this is the first time that the guy is doing heroin and he had no goddamn clue how much to inject...and he unintentionally took WAY too much...then yeah, that would be pretty tragic. But something gives me the feeling that he was already well into it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here