Sony to Dive Into Family Games If Nintendo Keeps Declining

Sony to Dive Into Family Games If Nintendo Keeps Declining

Nintendo Super Mario 3D World ad

Should Nintendo continue to slip, Sony will dive into the family-friendly games market.

Following Nintendo's unsuccessful financial quarter, Sony believes Nintendo's struggling situation impacts everyone in the console market. Fergal Gara, PlayStation UK managing director, said Sony will need to branch further into the family-friendly games market if Nintendo continues to decline.

"[The decline of Nintendo] could be detrimental to the market, unless people like us raise our game and help tap into the younger consumer group that they serve rather well," Gara said. "That is the challenge to us. We need to bring maybe more family-friendly, more casual experiences into the market. I think there's a big market segment there that we should take the challenge to engage, and I see lots of potential to do that."

Gara noted that Nintendo's handhelds has done well and that it's a market that Sony hasn't quite cracked yet. "The DS family was the bestselling format last year," he said. "Despite the stellar sales of the PS4 for the last four or five weeks, [the 3DS] was still the best selling console or console family."

Sales for 3DS software rose over 45 percent last year from 2012. Several games were well received, and many were well suited to younger consumers as family-friendly games. Sony's Vita has not done as well in the handheld market, but the company hopes to change that by linking it to the PS4.

"I think Vita has maybe not a huge position in the marketplace, but a very unique position," he continued. "First of all, it's the only device that offers the same level of control and interaction. It's the only device to offer the same level of visual beauty, and now it's the only console to offer that companionship with the leading home games console."

Source: Trusted Reviews

Oddly enough, I'm fine with sony making more family oriented games, I'm tired of all the grit from all the "mature" games that keep coming. I'm hoping this means we get more games like Oddworld, Crash, and Spyro. I'm tired of the fact that almost all of the colorful and character based games these days are from Nintendo franchises, that space needs more competition.

I still long for the Sony + Nintendo alliance that almost happened in the post-SNES world...

Or at least they team up to defeat the filthy casuals.

Maybe Sony can get NAMCO to finally release another Klonoa game.

:D

I thought Sony was already into the family friendly market, it's Microsoft that needs to get into that. I remember a review video of that Sony All-Stars game that came out, and the reviewer highlighted that Xbox could do it, it has a roster of... Master Chief and Marcus Fenix.

I have no negatives, if everything isn't an FPS, it only means when I inevitably buy a PS4, it will have games I actually want to play, not just, you know, shooters.

It's almost as if he is saying Nintendo is a gateway drug to "harder" games. Nintendo when they are young, PS when they are hooked.

TheHomelessHero:
Oddly enough, I'm fine with sony making more family oriented games, I'm tired of all the grit from all the "mature" games that keep coming. I'm hoping this means we get more games like Oddworld, Crash, and Spyro. I'm tired of the fact that almost all of the colorful and character based games these days are from Nintendo franchises, that space needs more competition.

What exactly was your childhood like that you think of Oddworld as a "family" game? I mean, the lead character has his lips sown shut.

If this means I get Ape Escape 4 Sony then do it. Really though they should still start making more children oriented games even when Nintendo pulls out of their rut because competition can bring the best out of both studios.

It depends what they mean.

If they mean stuff like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, then sweet!

If they mean stuff like Wii sports... then meh.

So Sony is finally remembering that most of it's "mature hardcore gamer audience" initially got into gaming when they were young and if they're hoping to continue as is for another 20 years with a new generation of gamers they should probably start releasing games interesting to that audience. Next you're telling crop me rotation MIGHT be a good idea. -.-

I really don't know how this notion of PlayStation being an "adults only" system got started.

PlayStation 1 and 2 were flooded with cartoony platformers and action games.

Hell PS2 in particular was the original "system for all ages" until Wii came along.

Think before reject. Nintendo .... and Sony ... merging.
I'm all in playing as Ratchet in Mario Kart.

SuperTrainStationH:
I really don't know how this notion of PlayStation being an "adults only" system got started.

Hell PS2 in particular was the original "system for all ages" until Wii came along.

Oh that aaaall comes from the Sony marketing department. Try and think back to the last truly child oriented Sony big scale marketing campaign. Chances are it will be from the early 2000's

I read "declining" in the headline as "turning down" and wondered "when the hell did Nintendo EVER decline to make family-oriented games?" Stupid English language.

Because Knack was so good, right?

How silly would it be if Kratos and Nathan Drake were in a Smash Bros. knock-off? Am I right or amiright?

Sony should be looking to appeal to younger gamers regardless of whats going on with Ninentdo - there too little to differentiate the xbox and PS4.

SuperTrainStationH:

I don't get that either, especially since PS3 has multiple ratchet and clanks, jack and dexter, little big planet and modnation racers games which are all targeted as family friendly. Seems like people forget that Sony is the only ones that make systems for the whole family not just kids and not just teenagers/gritty 'adult'

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here