BioWare Introduces Dragon Age: Inquisition Character Kits for Cosplay

BioWare Introduces Dragon Age: Inquisition Character Kits for Cosplay

Dragon Age Inquisition character kit Morrigan

BioWare kicks off Dragon Age: Inquisition character kits with Morrigan.

BioWare loves to see fans cosplay its characters. In a blog post written today, BioWare's community manager Jessica Merizan released the first in a series of Dragon Age: Inquisition character kits, illustrating Morrigan's ball gown design in Inquisition. Additional character kits will be released in the future.

The Morrigan Character Guide is available to download, and it can be printed and folded up into a booklet. It includes the colors of her outfit as well as the intended materials, such as a leather corset and a velvet skirt. Art shows each of her outfit pieces separately for anyone wishing to cosplay Morrigan or draw fanart using the kit as a reference. For anyone who prefers individual images to the compiled booklet version, BioWare also provided links in the post to the separate images of Morrigan. The images show the art for Morrigan's head from various angles, back and front views of her dress and corset, and images of her glove and necklace. Merizan suggests printing the guide on 8.5 x 11 standard letter paper.

Merizan also recommends anyone who uses the resources to share their work with BioWare. The community will also provide additional resources in the kits if there's a demand.

"We want to give fan artists - cosplayers, illustrators, painters, writers, cake decoaters, everyone - access to detailed, descriptive, high resolution character designs before the game is released," Merizan said, noting she cosplayed this costume of Morrigan's last year at PAX Prime.

High resolution images of references are an artist's best friend while working. Fan art also helps build up discussion and curiosity before the game releases, so it's a win for BioWare and and Dragon Age cosplayers everywhere.

Source: BioWare

Now this is some seriously good community interaction.

I never did cosplay myself...the closet I came to it was dressing up like Colombo for a costume party

roseofbattle:

"We want to give fan artists - cosplayers, illustrators, painters, writers, cake decoaters, everyone - access to detailed, descriptive, high resolution character designs before the game is released," Merizan said, noting she cosplayed this costume of Morrigan's last year at PAX Prime.

Not to mention budding game/film/theatre designers/costumiers.

But what exactly is a "cake decoater"? Someone that licks off all the icing?
*glares at daughter, who is prone to such behaviour*

This isn't the first time that they've done this. They did the same thing with the character Tallis in Dragon Age 2. I think it's kind of silly, but whatever.

As for the cosplay intention, that's a big ol' whatever 'cos I'm not a fan of cosplay.

However, I love Victorian style dresses! They are so beautiful and are great at making woman look sexy but classy, ok the huge ass thing was a little weird but other than that I love them. That Katy Perry "killer queen" advert is a great example of a classy sexy dress being ruined to be "slutty" sexy.

Nothing beats a full length dress with ruffles and an hour glass figure! Keep your LBD and give me a full length Victorian ball gown.

This is pretty cool. I'm tempted to download it just because.

So if I see several Morrigan cosplay in similar clothing in the next MCM Expo, I will be reminded of this.

That's cool for people who are into cosplay. Right? It is cool, right? Because I don't know anything about that stuff, but I think it's a nice idea.

Now, if they would go back to making those awesome lithographs like they did for a bit for ME2, or sign a deal with Kotobukiya to produce a figure like that, then I'm all in.

I hope that they do this with their older games as well, and not just Inquisition.

I'm barely into cosplay (the time investment!) but I am a fan of the community and most of my close friends are dedicated cosplayers. The fact that Bioware's community manager is so into cosplay just feeds that fandom's enthusiasts, and I love seeing the Bioware inspired work at cons. It's pretty much just been Mass Effect for a couple years, so with Dragon Age and Bioware's cosplay support, expect a ridiculous amount of DA cosplay this year.

ugg what did they do to Morrigan? Witch of the WILDS presmumably she would be spending times in the woods, does that dress scream "woodland friendly" to you? Its nice they are giving this to cosplayers but I do not like the morrigan redesign.

synobal:
ugg what did they do to Morrigan? Witch of the WILDS presmumably she would be spending times in the woods, does that dress scream "woodland friendly" to you? Its nice they are giving this to cosplayers but I do not like the morrigan redesign.

But are you surprised. Bioware screwing up it's own world and people is becoming par for the course. Next thing you know it will be Morrrigan friend to all and protecter of the weak.

IceStar100:

synobal:

But are you surprised. Bioware screwing up it's own world and people is becoming par for the course. Next thing you know it will be Morrrigan friend to all and protecter of the weak.

What bothers me more is that she is back, in my DA:O game her and my Warden went through the portal and that was the end of their story. Now you've brought her back and basically said "oh your warden and his big decision to be with her? ya not so important" thanks bioware.

I was fine if they were going to have it be her daughter, or some other member of her family but this is dumb. I'm not buying DA3 and I didn't buy DA2 as far as I'm concerned with the series ended after origins. This is the matrix all over again honestly. I don't care what you say there was only 1 matrix movie.

synobal:

What we know about Morrigan is she's a devious git, from a long line of devious gits, who is prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve what she needs to achieve. Wearing a dress in order to fit in to a particular circle - and do what she needs to do - is less extreme than shapeshifting.

synobal:

IceStar100:

synobal:

What bothers me more is that she is back, in my DA:O game her and my Warden went through the portal and that was the end of their story. Now you've brought her back and basically said "oh your warden and his big decision to be with her? ya not so important" thanks bioware.

I was fine if they were going to have it be her daughter, or some other member of her family but this is dumb. I'm not buying DA3 and I didn't buy DA2 as far as I'm concerned with the series ended after origins. This is the matrix all over again honestly. I don't care what you say there was only 1 matrix movie.

Denial is bad, mkay.

Last I checked, Morrigan didn't particularly fancy her mother, nor the wilds. :P

Oh right!

Topic, uhm...
This seems neat? I've never done cosplay, but I'm glad there's more availability to the fans.

synobal:

People kept asking for her to be back so they can find out what happened with the dragon baby thing.

OH GOD! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO KANJI! He's supposed to be tough and rough and intimidating! What is this?! It's not like, GASP, something happened to him or he DEVELOPED as a character! I would hate this to happen!

Ok, seriously now, how about we all calm the fuck down, wait for game to come out, and then see for ourselves WHY Morrigan is dressed like that? Okay?

tmande2nd:
Now this is some seriously good community interaction.

I never did cosplay myself...the closet I came to it was dressing up like Colombo for a costume party

And for that you win everything!

synobal:

So you know why she's back? You've read the script for the game? Please share what you know with us all!

Wait... The next Dragon Age is called 'Dragon Age: Inquisition'?

Shouldn't it be called: 'Dragon Age: Sorry for Dragon Age 2'?

...And be free to people who were put through Dragon Age 2?

...Troll completed.

Look at all those comments not mentioning Greg Tito.

Love you Greg.

Why did I think that Morrigan wouldn't be in DA:I?

*Googles*

Oh, she's not going to be a party member. That's right. She's still turning up and doing stuff. Tremendous. Everyone's favourite oddly verbose breasts wild mage will be back. Hooray!

I'm hard pressed to not see this as a great idea. It gives the cosplayers a detailed look at the character's outfit, shows off the character designs and makes us want the game all the sooner. So yeah...props Bioware.

synobal:

IceStar100:

synobal:

"The purples and blacks of Morrigan's elegant ball gown..."

Seriously, it's the first sentence in the .pdf, it's obviously not a frolic in the wilderness kind of dress; but what can one game do against such reckless hate?

Morrigan... in a dress? Isnt that kind of a "fish out of water" type of thing? Anyway, aside from how odd that strikes me, anytime I can get an opportunity to throw out a compliment to the cosplay crowd, I take it. I always love, love, love looking at the cosplay pictures from all the major events every year. When I was at Star Wars Celebration III in Indianapolis, I was completely stunned at all the meticulous hard work folks put into their outfits, and have nothing but admiration and respect for them. It truly is its own art form. You guys rock.

Morrigan... in a dress?

To all people, that say we should not question morrigan being in a dress:

The last time i chose to not question all the weird stuff bioware was releasing and telling about a game they developed i ended up buying Dragon Age 2.

So you can be pretty damn sure that i will question every single bit of information bioware puts out and won't buy the game until i get satisfying answers.

I love this. I don't cosplay myself (much as I'd like to), but I really appreciate being able to look over the details of the design.

As for the people claiming they don't want Morrigan in a ball gown because it's "not practical"... Hahahahaha. Ha. Yeah, because Morrigan's outfits were always designed to be practical above all else, right?

In all seriousness though, it's pretty obvious she's not going to be wearing that outfit in the wilds. She's not even going to be a party member, so I imagine we'll encounter her having infiltrated some court or high society function or another and dressed to fit in.

ms_sunlight:

synobal:

What we know about Morrigan is she's a devious git, from a long line of devious gits, who is prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve what she needs to achieve. Wearing a dress in order to fit in to a particular circle - and do what she needs to do - is less extreme than shapeshifting.

Again you realize this is Bioware. People who killed Lilanna where told. $#%^ you we like her so she stay and we don't care what you think. Or short hand "deal with it." I have to admit I did buy DA2 and made it to the first time skip before I relized it was a steaming pile. I will never ever pre order a Bio game again they have to prove there good from now on. This is coming from someone who would buy their books and comics I could not get deep enough into their world. Now I don't care what they do.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here