Justice League: War Kicks Off New DC Animated Universe

Justice League: War Kicks Off New DC Animated Universe

DC's animation studio is finally returning to an ongoing superhero continuity, but not the one from Justice League Unlimited.

DC Comics hasn't done well in the motion picture business lately, but when it comes to animation it still sets the bar. That's largely thanks to the DC Animated Universe, a series of interconnected TV shows and movies that developed characters over the course of 15 years. DC hasn't officially contributed to an ongoing animated continuity of that scope since 2006, but for better or worse, that's finally about to change. According to Justice League: War director James Tucker, DC's latest animated film won't just adapt the New 52 origin story, it will launch an all-new animated universe with its own internal canon.

"This will definitely be the first salvo in doing new movies that are in continuity with each other," Tucker said. "Our next movie's going to be Son of Batman, and that Batman will be the same Batman that you see in Justice League: War. Basically, we'll have two concurrent series of Justice League movies and Batman movies, and they'll be in continuity with each other. So it's kind of world-building."

Since 2007, DC had stepped away from long-running continuity in favor of projects like Teen Titans, Young Justice, and its animated movie line. While standalone projects are still in the works, DC hopes to set two out of three movies in its new continuity each year. That means Justice League: War and Son of Batman will showcase the New DCAU in 2014, while Batman: Assault on Arkham will focus on the Arkham videogame universe.

Of course, many DCAU fans will likely be horrified at this news, given that the New 52 continuity that inspired Justice League: War has been controversial at best. That being said, starting a new animated continuity from the ground up could be positive in the long run. After all, the New 52 still made intriguing contributions through its Aquaman and Justice League books, and it's even making Lex Luthor into a full-fledged superhero. If the New DCAU can focus on the good from New 52 and filter out the bad, then maybe it can produce something that fans will happily pay attention to.

Justice League: War will hit store shelves on February 4, 2014.

Source: Comic Book Resources

Bleh. I'm all for more animated DC, but I'm not really interested in animated made-for-TV movies. I'd much rather have a TV Show since those tend to work better for Superheros. It's hard to have a truly SUPER hero if they only fight one villain every year and it always takes a full length movie to do so.

I'm excited for this, so much good has come from DC animation (even Young Justice rocked).

I wish it wasn't just on a buy-the-DVD business model though, it's something I'd prefer to rent. Do these things appear on Love Film/Netflix?

BrotherRool:
I'm excited for this, so much good has come from DC animation (even Young Justice rocked).

I wish it wasn't just on a buy-the-DVD business model though, it's something I'd prefer to rent. Do these things appear on Love Film/Netflix?

young justice was fucking awesome, such a shame they didn't get to finish right. I can't unassociate nolan north without super boy now, it is permanently stuck like that.

OT: More super hero stuff is good stuff! can't wait to check it out.

I don't expect this to top the original DC Animated Universe, 'cause frankly, it already lost me at not being written by Paul Dini.

But hey, if it appears on Netflix, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Just don't cancel it because too many girls are enjoying the movies, okay? Don't follow CN's terrible example on that front.

I want to be optimistic...I don't hate the New 52...but if the NEXT movie is Deathstroke (which doesn't seem to be happening at all) then PLEASE keep Liefeld away from it. What's really worrying is that they admit to focusing on Batman and the Justice League. Then again these are based on the New 52 and other interesting characters didn't last long such as Etrigan the Demon Knight, Blue Beetle, etc...I don't think Animal Man would translate well to this model either...

...there goes any hope I had for a Blue and Gold DCAU flick...

After watching Justice League: War, I don't have particularly high hopes for this. There were aspects of it that I liked-- Superman had more personality, for instance-- but there was a lot of stuff that was stupid, too.

Most notably, whoever wrote that apparently really hates Green Lantern. It wasn't just that he was repeatedly ineffective in every single fight, but he was ineffective while proclaiming that he was hot shit.

DC had a strong run of animated programming because they had smart animators. But now? They either force them out because of upper management being woefully ignorant of any real planning. They drove out what talent they had because of some focus-study crap and their own personal beliefs. The ones not driven out by force have next to nothing because places like Cartoon Network are happy to just cancel and throw around their shows willy nilly and let them starve to death in their own re-run filth much like they did to the rather awesome Thundercats reboot they had going.

Falterfire:
Bleh. I'm all for more animated DC, but I'm not really interested in animated made-for-TV movies. I'd much rather have a TV Show since those tend to work better for Superheros. It's hard to have a truly SUPER hero if they only fight one villain every year and it always takes a full length movie to do so.

Yeah, I like the idea of movies in addition to series, but I'm not really sold on the continuity following a bunch of movies only.

Sniper Team 4:
Just don't cancel it because too many girls are enjoying the movies, okay? Don't follow CN's terrible example on that front.

Wait, what? There's a story here I don't know. And for all I'm sure learning it will be depressing, could you please fill me in?

Falterfire:

Sniper Team 4:

Wait, what? There's a story here I don't know. And for all I'm sure learning it will be depressing, could you please fill me in?

Supposedly there was an issue of DC shows getting canceled on Cartoon Network because the studio felt that the show wasn't hitting the male demographic hard enough. Several episodes of (I believe Young Justice, but I could be wrong) focused on developing the female characters. The studio said they didn't want those characters to receive any focus, because the show was aimed at boys. The writers argued that after the episodes premiered there was a huge surge in female viewers, and that ratings as a whole increased, but the studio said that female viewers don't matter because they don't buy as many action figures. The show was canceled shortly afterward.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130556-Paul-Dini-Superhero-Cartoon-Execs-Dont-Want-Female-Viewers

Yeah, if they want make more quality television then that's great, but I couln't care less about these animated films. Bring back Batman Beyond and the not terrible Teen Titans. Then we'll talk.

Sounds interesting, however if they're going to start a new DCAU continuity I'd rather they do it with a new animated TV series instead of a bunch of made-for-TV films.

Fanghawk:
Justice League: War will hit store shelves on February 4, 2014.

Actually it hit a few weeks ago thanks to a leak online.

Also, wat? I'm sure most of the point behind these films were that they were independant and adaptations of Comic Arcs - to name some examples in no particular order - Son of Batman, Superman vs. The Elite and Flashpoint Paradox (adaptations of Batman and Son, Superman: What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? and Flashpoint respectively). If they were going for all original movies from this point onwards, I wouldn't weigh it up to adaptations.

Then again, I don't blame DC for wanting to start a new Animated continuity given how CN seems intent on screwing over every DC show that isn't Teen Titans Go.

gmaverick019:

BrotherRool:

young justice was fucking awesome, such a shame they didn't get to finish right. I can't unassociate nolan north without super boy now, it is permanently stuck like that.

OT: More super hero stuff is good stuff! can't wait to check it out.

They really REALLY killed it with the timeskip in my opinion. It came out of nowhere and was obviously made for adult viewers rather than kids. Which would explain the lack of toysales that got it off the air

Fox12:

Falterfire:

Sniper Team 4:

Supposedly there was an issue of DC shows getting canceled on Cartoon Network because the studio felt that the show wasn't hitting the male demographic hard enough. Several episodes of (I believe Young Justice, but I could be wrong) focused on developing the female characters. The studio said they didn't want those characters to receive any focus, because the show was aimed at boys. The writers argued that after the episodes premiered there was a huge surge in female viewers, and that ratings as a whole increased, but the studio said that female viewers don't matter because they don't buy as many action figures. The show was canceled shortly afterward.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130556-Paul-Dini-Superhero-Cartoon-Execs-Dont-Want-Female-Viewers

Yeah, if they want make more quality television then that's great, but I couln't care less about these animated films. Bring back Batman Beyond and the not terrible Teen Titans. Then we'll talk.

Well his quote was in direct regard to the cancellation of Tower Prep, but it wouldn't take much of a leap to speculate that this kind of mentality affected other shows as well - I'm looking at you Teen Titans.

Young Justice.

Young Justice.

We had glory with Young Justice. Even with that damn timeskip. They put it all over, they didn't warn of the changes, but we all did our best to try to follow it.

And you ruined it.

Season 3. I am Whelmed. Make me Over with Season 3. Then we'll talk about whatever else you want to do, DCU Animation.

No Aquaman or GL John Stewart [Which would have been hilarious to hear Phil Lamar *try* to make them both sound different] and it looks like that New52 issue where they all meet up to try to take on Supes?

No Thanks DC. Still sore bout New52 & ManOfSteel

I certainly get them wanting to re-brand with "New 52," but it's not like Young Justice, Under the Hood, Flashpoint Paradox and the rest were DCAU things either.

I kind of liked the whole movie adaptations of comics approach though so this makes me worried. I'm tentatively excited since the only DCAU movie I didn't like was Superman Unbound. However I'm not exactly sure if I'm up for actually dealin with continuity again. Even the DC animated shows didn't really deal with continuity outside of their own with the minor exception of the really unexpected callbacks to Batman/Superman in Justice League Unlimited. Even then it wasn't really stuff you needed to really remember because it wasn't hugely important (except maybe the Supergirl thing?).

Looks pretty good... but once again Steve Blum stars as Steve Blum. Immersion breaking by now.

I've seen the Justice League War thing. It wasn't good. Superman was more a dudebro and you could literally see a point when Wonder Woman's panties started to get soaking wet for all the wrong reasons. They also tore Darksied a new asshole as the first enemy. The inter-character dynamics appear to be all 'edgy', reluctantly liking or respecting each other but not being friends. Probably not at the start but they'll grow to care for each other. Really, really bad. The only likeable characters I found were Cyborg and the Flash who at least seem themselves. Batman seemed like a bit of a dick, well, a bigger dick than he usually is. Hal was far too much a fly boy. Sure he has an ego and has his moments but he's often a reliable guy to have your back. The first half made him seem more like an overly arrogant fly boy getting his ego bruised repeatedly and deservedly.

I suppose the worst of it for me was the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing. They way they make her behave is very un-Wonder Woman like.

I actually liked it a lot, it had problems but I liked all the characters even if Wonder Woman got a little annoying. Even Batman was okay and I'm not a fan of Batman(there were still some parts that bugged me him magically knowing Superman's identity and him knowing what button freed Superman based on which hip the bad guy wore his knife)

The big weak point would probably be Darkseid, for the big world ending evil that forces the heroes to band together he never seems that threatening you never really get the feeling that they all need to come together to beat him.

Not liking the voice for Darkseid, but the rest is decent and would give it a shot.

I really hoping that they still do animated adaption from their one shot graphic novels (e.g. The Dark Knight Rise) as one of the things that I have been liking with the DC aniamted universe is the different artsytles used in that film like All-star Superman, Batman: Year One and Superman Vs The Elite etc.

I really enjoy the New 52 stuff. I'd be willing to check this out, though based on some of the comments that might be a mistake.

I agree with some of the others though. I'd prefer a new television series rather than the occasional movie.

Duffeknol:
Looks pretty good... but once again Steve Blum stars as Steve Blum. Immersion breaking by now.

Hah, Steve Blum. Before I saw Cowboy Bebop I knew him as "that guy whose in literally everything." He actually grated on my nerves, because he was always there. Then I saw Cowboy Bebop, and I forgave him a little bit. Samurai Champloo was even better.

Wow, just sqw it.
Sooooo. . .
Everyone kept supes and bats and flash now is a retard, especially wonder woman seeks to have broken with any form of common sense. . . lantern was dumb too. Funny, i always thought pilots were intelligent. . .
Superman was weird. Felt off a little but not like a full burn betrayal.
Flash came out positive here, continuing the good trend from FPP.
Batman was batman with the apropriate amount of batmanism.
Not captain marvel was. . . a kid. huh. i liked his persona in black adam better but. . . that was a better time.

Overall: not what we had earlier, but also not unsalvagble garbage.

Having them fight tooth and nails versus darkseid was a good start point, i especialy liked how the new parademons actually posed a threat this time around.
I think they should just launch a new Justice league tv show already. . . one not aimed at kids only.
Toy sales arent the only source of revenue. . .

Really cool version of Cyborg. I'm glad to see him taking a bigger role.

And if you didn't think DC was going to start going the Marvel post credit route, watch until after the credits.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here