Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Reportedly Just Two Hours Long

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Reportedly Just Two Hours Long

Ground Zeroes

Ground Zeroes, the next installment of the Metal Gear Solid saga, probably shouldn't be treated as an "installment" if you can complete the main mission in a couple short hours.

Ever since the dual announcement of the two upcoming Metal Gear Solid titles, Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, it's become very apparent that Phantom Pain is the one we're supposed to be excited for. Series creator Hideo Kojima already admitted that Ground Zeroes is essentially the tutorial for Phantom Pain, but a recent report from Game Informer suggests that he really wasn't kidding. According to the magazine's preview, the main story of Ground Zeroes can be completed in just two hours.

This claim lends some believability to Kojima's previous statement that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain would be "hundreds of times larger" than Ground Zeroes. Granted, that two hour report only covers the game's main story mission, not side quests or exploration, but Metal Gear Solid has never really had much content in those categories. If anything, the game's biggest attraction is arguably its story, which is infamous for extremely long, non-interactive cutscenes. So how much actual gameplay can be in those two hours?

Kojima has said that Ground Zeroes would ideally be part of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, but it's being released early (March 18) to give fans a taste of what's coming up. Of course, that two-hour taste isn't exactly a free sample - Ground Zeroes will cost $20 on last-gen consoles and $30 on current-gen for the digital version, with another ten dollars on top of that if you prefer the physical copy.

Source: Game Informer, via Kotaku

Are you sure they didn't mean the beginning cut-scene would be two hours long?

Get it?...cause Metal Gear has long cut-scenes

I'll see myself out.

!

Wait, I have something useful to say too! If it's going to be cheaper like that, then I'm kind of fine with shorter game-play. Twenty dollars is a lot of money for just two hours so I doubt I'd get it immediately but I am slightly intrigued to see what we get here. Just because old MGS games didn't do much side-mission-wise doesn't mean that this one won't. If they're truly going GTA-style open world, there should be lots of stuff to do, right?

Maybe Otacon will go play darts with me?

And one hour and forty-five minutes of it is cutscenes.

OT: I'm actually ok with this. I like the idea of releasing a little DLC arcade title as a precursor to the real thing. But they'll probably have to knock down the price a bit more before anyone besides the die-hard fans buy it.

And I just see that tippy basically said everything I did before I said it. Now I feel unoriginal and sad.

Will this at least be included with the final release of Phantom Pain? Releasing an early teaser is one thing, but this is pretty lame if it's always going to be this expensive, standalone tidbit.

2 hours? Fine. $30 bucks for it? No.

Hmm.

The main quest alone taking 2-hours long is a bit more than I was expecting. I thought you just get in and get out of that one base in the Ground Zeroes demo and be done with it in a few minutes. If that one and only mission is 2-hours long, then that actually sounds quite lengthy for a single mission.

From what I've heard, Kojima confirmed that there's going to be side-objectives available for Ground Zeroes, so it won't be just this one mission. If I remember correctly, the mission system was compared to the one in Peacewalker, where you can pick optional missions to take on from the mission menu.

From a leaked achievements page, there's going to be at least 6 unique missions. The main Ground Zeroes mission, and 4 side ops, and one extra op. Then there's collectibles. And replaying missions for S-ranking. So it sounds like there's going to be a few things to do.

But still... A physical copy of Ground Zeroes for the PS4/Xbox One will be 40 fucking dollars. 20$ might be acceptable. 30$ already sounds like too much. But 40$? Seriously now.

Since I don't have a PS4 or Xbone, I'm gonna have to go with the previous-gen version and see how that goes. I'm hoping that besides the main mission, the side ops will be lengthy as well.

I'm okay with paying 20$ for it since it will probably have Peacewalker style side missions. Definitely not 40$, but I'm okay with spending 20$.

40$ FOR A PHYSICAL COPY OF THIS SHORT SHIT???

They're out of their goddamn minds. Please don't buy this piece of shit. 40 bucks for that small of a fucking game? Fuck them. I was excited to get Phantom Pain, but if this is going to be their new business practice, then they can kiss my money goodbye.

Seriously, 15$ would've been at least somewhat decent, but 30-40 bucks is bullshit for what will essentially have less content than an indie game. Fuck. That.

And yet people will still buy this, which will lead to shameless copying by other developers.

$15 an hour? So much for video games being better in terms of money per hour of entertainment. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon was $20 and took me over 4 hours my first runthrough.

Just for some context, I put about 5 hours into the Bravely Default demo and I'm not even sure if I finished it...it was a free download granted I have a limited number of times that I can use it. That being said though, it sounds like Kojima could spin this in a similar way Capcom did with the Dead Rising 2 demo/mini-game/whatever the Hell it was which was released to get people excited for Dead Rising 2. You had to pay for it but the content was exclusive to the demo.

Anyway, I stopped caring about Metal Gear when I watched MGS4 and since the signs are beginning to point to this and, Phantom Pain being more the same I think I can safely continue skipping out on the series.

Brian Tams:
40$ FOR A PHYSICAL COPY OF THIS SHORT SHIT???

They're out of their goddamn minds. Please don't buy this piece of shit. 40 bucks for that small of a fucking game? Fuck them. I was excited to get Phantom Pain, but if this is going to be their new business practice, then they can kiss my money goodbye.

Seriously, 15$ would've been at least somewhat decent, but 30-40 bucks is bullshit for what will essentially have less content than an indie game. Fuck. That.

And yet people will still buy this, which will lead to shameless copying by other developers.

Calm down, that price is for the Xbone and PS4, it'll cost $20 on the previous gen, though I agree the price is quite ludicrous, to say the least. And this is MGS we're talking about, it'll have far more replay value than most indie games with the same price and content (I'm looking at you, Gone Home). So yeah, $20 for this sound like a fair deal to me.

Also, this is hardly "the first one" to do it, remember Gran Turismo 5 and Dead Rising 2 demos?.

Think I'll wait for a price drop. I'd be fine paying $15-$20, but more? Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah, no.

I am so confused. Are they really trying to sell what is essentially going to be the Tanker mission from MGS 2 as a separate thing from the main game? Just... WTF are they even thinking here?

So they removed the cutscenes and kept the gameplay? I'm suddenly interested...

People always complain that digital and physical copies shouldn't be the same price. Comes along a top tier franchise with a cheaper price point for digital only, and everyone is up in arms... gaming community at its finest.

I don't get it. This is clearly the Phantom Pain's equivalent to the Virtuous Mission/Tanker Incident... so why not just bundle it all together?

tippy2k2:
Are you sure they didn't mean the beginning cut-scene would be two hours long?

Get it?...cause Metal Gear has long cut-scenes

I'll see myself out.

!

Wait, I have something useful to say too! If it's going to be cheaper like that, then I'm kind of fine with shorter game-play. Twenty dollars is a lot of money for just two hours so I doubt I'd get it immediately but I am slightly intrigued to see what we get here. Just because old MGS games didn't do much side-mission-wise doesn't mean that this one won't. If they're truly going GTA-style open world, there should be lots of stuff to do, right?

Maybe Otacon will go play darts with me?

Don't worry, the gameplay will be 2 hours long. But there will be 58 hours of cutscenes to skip through. So we'll get our money's worth of unintelligible dialogue.

How dare they ask for 20 dollars for 2 hours?! It's only okay when indie developers do that!

Huh, not sure how I feel about that. Price is definitely adjusted, but I dunno... depends on how much side-content there is. Peace Walker was pretty short too, but there were tons of side missions. I suppose $20 is somewhat reasonable and I'm more than willing to sacrifice the hard drive space.

I just hope they don't take too long getting the Phantom Pain out.

Yeah, I'm getting less and less sure this will even be worth playing. Before it was touted as a tutorial for Phantom Pain. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

mindlesspuppet:
People always complain that digital and physical copies shouldn't be the same price. Comes along a top tier franchise with a cheaper price point for digital only, and everyone is up in arms... gaming community at its finest.

inu-kun:
How dare they ask for 20 dollars for 2 hours?! It's only okay when indie developers do that!

That about sums up what I was going to say here. I'd facepalm but I'd need to be Vishnu in order to have the appropriate amount of palms to match the situation.

I normally don't care about lenght, but i was kinda hoping that the game would be just as long as a normal game, but shorter than a MGS game, like 8 hours or something like that. I'm not sure i want to pay that much for a glorified tutorial (aka the boring part of the game). But i'll keep my eye on it, some say Peacewalker was short, but i found it to be quite long, if Ground Zeroes is something similar then i'll be fine. But if it's just an opening cutscene a short gameplay segment and an outro cutscene, then i won't go for it.

AzrealMaximillion:

mindlesspuppet:

inu-kun:

That about sums up what I was going to say here. I'd facepalm but I'd need to be Vishnu in order to have the appropriate amount of palms to match the situation.

Yep, I agree. And unlike other developers, this is Hideo Kojima. Metal Gear has always been a really good product (admit it, even MGS2 with Raiden was a good solid game, even if you didn't like Raiden himself) so I have already pre-ordered this. Getting some early MGS is great, and it gives my PS4 something to do now.

Plus, I support games like Metal Gear Solid and tiered pricing, so I'm gonna vote with my wallet, as I hear so often about.

It's a shame they set the Ps4?/One Price at $90 Aus ( I know they said it will be slightly lower) but from what I hear that's the price the vendors here are setting so selling under it would be at a loss.

Anyway let's see is 2 to 4 hours 6/7 for trophies and that's if it has a platinum, ( I hope they do) worth $90au. Nope no way, better of at Ozgameshop where $52 Aus doesn't feel like I'm getting cheated out of my money, well not quite as much.

So to get the physical version for the PS4 in Australia, you're looking at paying $90 -- it's a 2 hour long game.

It makes it a bit hard to feel it's worth it, no matter how much I love Hideo Kojima and trust the quality of his titles which have yet to disappoint me.

Kojima is a programming genius but everything else he does is so fuckin' stupid. He's an idiot. How the hell could he have thought that this was a good idea?

I find this a ridiculous price for this length of content. I am looking extremely forward to this game, but was never really thrilled with the idea of two separate parts of this game, but I could accept that, but now they are asking this much money for this little content? Why not scrap Ground Zeroes as a separate release and just make MGS V. They are saying that the content of the phantom pain is hundred times the amount of GZ, so do they expect us to pay 4000 Dollar for that release? Of course not, but they do expect the pay 2/3 of full price for a small part.

Leon Declis:

AzrealMaximillion:

mindlesspuppet:
*snip!*

inu-kun:
*snip!*

*snip!*

Yep, I agree. And unlike other developers, this is Hideo Kojima. Metal Gear has always been a really good product (admit it, even MGS2 with Raiden was a good solid game, even if you didn't like Raiden himself) so I have already pre-ordered this. Getting some early MGS is great, and it gives my PS4 something to do now.

Plus, I support games like Metal Gear Solid and tiered pricing, so I'm gonna vote with my wallet, as I hear so often about.

Not TL:DR-
The tiered pricing is cool. It shows people are listening to what we're suggesting, and that's a good thing.
But from this information, we're essentially paying $10-20 per hour for a video game. Which, comparatively speaking, is ridiculously expensive. Compare it to others, like, say, GT5 - $60, approximately 25 hours for story mode. That's about $2.40 per hour, and that's minus the side quests. Assassin's Creed is about 15-20 hours, which means about $3-4. You start going indie, you start getting into things like Minecraft and BoI, which can offer theoreticaly hundreds of hours (though not really in a story mode, so it may be a different expectation of length, but still) for much cheaper then $40.

As for the idea that Indie Devs get away with just releasing unreplayable 1 hour experiences for $20, that kind of ignores that a lot of people had a complaint of poor value for money for Gone Home, which was only $15 for an hour. That's basicaly the complaint - not that it's Hidio Kojima doing it and not some indie dev with only 5 cents to their name, not that it's tiered pricing and that sucks, it's a case of it being - as of now, at least - comparatively poor value for money. That may change if the sidequests offer a lot more extra content then would be expected in a Metal Gear game, but as it stands, 2 hours isn't really enough.

Just to clarify, though: I'm not saying you're wrong for voting with your wallet, Leon, I'm just saying it's a fairly comparatively expensive vote for what you're getting back. Some people are willing to make that sacrifice, some people aren't, and some people think the sacrifice is bullshit and must be moaned about.

$20 is the price of a season pass of the Walking Dead Season on release.

Given that you can probably beat the entire first season in under 2 hours if you rushed (instead of "exploring the optional bits"), and you also don't actually get all of it at once, it seems pretty hypocritical for anybody in here to be whining about the length if they paid money for the pass for either season.

I imagine the side missions in Ground Zeroes account for much more of the content than the main story mission. Hell, look at GTA V. Rush through the main story missions; might not take you more than 6 hours if you're fast. Meanwhile, do the sidemissions and you're looking at dozens of hours, or hundreds if you enjoy the multiplayer. Did you buy it for full price on release? Is it fair to call you a hypocrite for complaining if you did?

Hell, I can recall plenty of indie titles that barely hit 2 hours if you rushed while priced at $20.

Just food for thought.

Brian Tams:

This is the biggest danger. If this thing sells, everyone will start doing it. Just like every other abysmal thing that came with the last gen.

Brian Tams:

Adam Jensen:

This is the biggest danger. If this thing sells, everyone will start doing it. Just like every other abysmal thing that came with the last gen.

Yes, because Metal Gear Solid is most certainly a trend-setter in the gaming industry...

Or, rather, if someone like Kojima thought to do this business move, you can damn well be certain that everyone else had already thought of it as well. Isn't that what people tend to complain a lot of DLC is nowadays anyway, just portions of the game shamelessly removed to get more money from the customer?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to pay $40 for this either and I'm a massive Metal Gear fan (though I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One in the first place, so that point goes a little moot), but reign it in a little bit. If something like this becomes an epidemic, it's not going to be because of Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear Solid.

A triple-A game that has a cheaper digital version than the physical version? *headsplosion*

If it's only 2 hours long, is meant to be the tutorial/prologue to Phantom Pain and we don't know how long it will be for the rest then I'll probably just wait for the inevitable 'Complete' version of MGSV that bundles the two together and play them back-to-back. So long as Konami don't decide to bump the price up $20 for (by that point) old content. Plus $20 for what is basically the tanker mission from MGS2 is kind of offputting, they could have released it for free as a demo/marketing ploy to get more interest in the full game but I guess development is just too expensive these days to give even a crumb away.

BreakfastMan:
I am so confused. Are they really trying to sell what is essentially going to be the Tanker mission from MGS 2 as a separate thing from the main game? Just... WTF are they even thinking here?

They want to sell a small taste to impatient people.

Gonna wait it out until the whole thing is in one disc.

TAGM:

The tiered pricing is cool. It shows people are listening to what we're suggesting, and that's a good thing.
But from this information, we're essentially paying $10-20 per hour for a video game. Which, comparatively speaking, is ridiculously expensive. Compare it to others, like, say, GT5 - $60, approximately 25 hours for story mode. That's about $2.40 per hour, and that's minus the side quests. Assassin's Creed is about 15-20 hours, which means about $3-4. You start going indie, you start getting into things like Minecraft and BoI, which can offer theoreticaly hundreds of hours (though not really in a story mode, so it may be a different expectation of length, but still) for much cheaper then $40.

Eh, I think it's a little shaky to start breaking down price points by hours of play available. By that logic, JRPGs should have the best value of any game out there, since the average JRPG is anywhere from 40 to 60 hours long (not counting side-quests), which means you're looking at $1.50-$1 dollar an hour. Personally I like JRPGs quite a bit but they don't sell very well, despite having the 'best value'.

This is the also the logic that encourages companies to tack-on needless multiplayer, since you can theoretically get hundreds of hours out of a multiplayer mode.

Sheo_Dagana:

TAGM:

Eh, I think it's a little shaky to start breaking down price points by hours of play available. By that logic, JRPGs should have the best value of any game out there, since the average JRPG is anywhere from 40 to 60 hours long (not counting side-quests), which means you're looking at $1.50-$1 dollar an hour. Personally I like JRPGs quite a bit but they don't sell very well, despite having the 'best value'.

This is the also the logic that encourages companies to tack-on needless multiplayer, since you can theoretically get hundreds of hours out of a multiplayer mode.

You have a point there - quality is just as important, if not more so, then quantity. At the same time, though, quantity does play a part in things all the same. Personally my reasons for not buying the game are less value for money and more not really being into Metal Gear or stealth games in general, but at the same time, I can see why some people might bemoan having to pay $40 for 2 hours. Especially since this is coming from a series that's (apparently) well known for it's long game lengths and equally long cutscenes.
In other words: I may not agree with the logic, but I recognize that it's there, and to talk about tired pricing and indie developers is to pretty much ignore it in my book.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here