Obsidian Delays Pillars of Eternity

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Obsidian Delays Pillars of Eternity

Pillars of Eternity title art

Obsidian has confirmed that Pillars of Eternity will not be meeting its original Spring 2014 release target.

When Obsidian launched the Kickstarter for Pillars of Eternity (previously Project Eternity), the team had pegged the game with a Spring 2014 release target. That being the case, Obsidian has recently confirmed that the game's development will miss that target and that it's release is going to be delayed. The question, of course, is for how long?

While Obsidian was reluctant to pin down an exact release window, it confirmed that Pillars of Eternity is unlikely to release in the first half of 2014. The delay, according to project lead Josh Sawyer, can be blamed on the game's expanded ambitions following its massively successful funding campaign. "When we started with a million-dollar budget and a relatively modest game with five classes, that was assuming if we get $1 million we can make this game and we'll probably get it done by April," he said. "We got almost four-times as much money [as we expected] and that's a much bigger game." While some might argue that a bigger budget should speed up the process, Sawyer said that extra money "doesn't mean that immediately [you] just dump four-times as many people on it."

While this might disappoint backers and role-playing fans looking forward to the game, Sawyer has revealed that eager gamers will be able to play an Early Access version of the game at some point in the future. "We are going to be having a [beta] section of the game that the players can play through to get a feel for all the mechanics and style of character interactions and all that kind of stuff," he said.

Source: Eurogamer

I'd rather they get it done right than stay exactly true to their release timeline... this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.

unfortunate but expected with a lot of these kickstarters that get way more then they were asking for since they now have to account for all the stretch goals, on related note how many of these ultra successful kickstarters have actually released so far? does anyone know of any?

While I'll be picking up Tides of Numenera instead of this, these guys have the right idea. Take the extra time to make a quality product. Right one.

I'm a bit surprised the release date was supposed to be so soon. Then I saw the game was originally kickstarted in 2012. Wow, time flies.

It's not a surprise, I think I remember the first teaser trailer going "Coming out...when it's ready." This release date was probably for the bare-bones version, but given how many stretch goals they hit, I'd be surprised if it didn't come out in 2015.

At least it isn't Double Fine's "LOL we ran out of money!" excuse.

I dont think anyone with experience of Obsidian expected it to be out on time. Almost universally their games, while excellent, are filled with bugs due to being released according to the publishers schedule. Part of the draw of this game for me was that i would finally see just how good Obsidian are when they dont have a fire lit under their asses to get the game out by a particular deadline.

Even since Xenogears my preference has been "When its Ready"

Orange12345:
unfortunate but expected with a lot of these kickstarters that get way more then they were asking for since they now have to account for all the stretch goals, on related note how many of these ultra successful kickstarters have actually released so far? does anyone know of any?

Of the top 10 (on Kickstarter only)

Torment: Tides of Numeria (Funded Apr 2013): Nothing

Project Eternity (Funded Oct 2012): Nothing

Mighty No9 (Funded Oct 2013): Nothing

Double Fine Adventure (Funded Mar 2012): First half of game on sale, second half to be released later.

Wasteland 2 (Funded Apr 2012): Beta released

Elite Dangerous (Funded Jan 2013): Alpha Released

Homestruck Adventure Game (Funded Oct 2012): Unknown, not released

Camalot Unchained (funded May 2013) Internal testing

Planetary Annihilation (Funded Sept 2012) Beta released

Star Citizen (Kickstarter Funded Nov 2012, still open to backers via website) Basic demo of hangar module

EDIT: Note some Alphas/Betas are only available to backers.

Another:

Except that that wasn't their "excuse" at all if you were a backer and actually paid attention to the game's development and not the rather spotty press coverage that it received.

Meh, I'm not even keeping track of that. Just send me a download link wen you're done.
Butt why the flamberge would you want to play a beta of a single-player story-driven RPG?

Sight Unseen:

Another:

Except that that wasn't their "excuse" at all if you were a backer and actually paid attention to the game's development and not the rather spotty press coverage that it received.

The press coverage all specified that backers weren't expected to pay more money, the readers just had literacy problems.

Is it sad that I'm pretty much taking a company delaying a game as a sign that I can trust them nowadays?

Kickstarter rewards are pretty much always delayed. I didn't back this one, but I did back torment and will probably buy this when its out. I'm glad they're taking their time to make it a good game.

Is anyone surprised here? Most folks said that sounded ambitious as soon as they told us.

Not much to add that hasn't been already, this is Obsidian, they need all the time they can get to do their Q&A right. I'm happy for them to delay a bit if it means getting the job done properly. This is their big chance to prove that it wasn't a publisher sabotaging all their previous titles with outrageous deadlines.

Was there any indication on how long it might be? I'm assuming 6 months to a year.

Just make it good or i'll do terrible things... to stuff!!!

I don't care about delays as long as i get a good game at the end of it.

In other news the sun is hot and Jim Sterling has opinions on videogames. I never once expected this game to release on time and I'd been assuming at least a 2015 date ever since they made their pile of cash. I mean look how much longer Wasteland 2 is taking.

They still have money, they're still making the game. That's what's important.

Now imagine how long Torment: Tides of Numeria is going to take =D

To be honest I wasn't expecting it to be out in Spring 2014. Anyway I'm okay with this. The game should come out when it is ready. I think everyone would prefer a delayed game that is good over a rushed game that is poor.

Can someone please answer a question for me please?

While we're on the topic of kick starter, there are two games I've been wondering about for a while and the Escapist talked about them but I can't even remember their names, (they might be on kick starter) one seems to be about an Astronaut lost (or maybe he's not) on Mars or what looks to be like Mars and I believe it's a top down perspective. I've seen very few screen shots of it but it looks really cool!

The second game you play a teenage boy (I think he's teenage) who lives in a Yurt (I think it's a Yurt) with a female android as a companion (though she's not fully built) and outside the Yurt seems to be a wasteland, well there doesn't seem to be any other humans, just grass and I think an empty theme park that is run down.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Back on topic, Pillars of Eternity, is that the sequel project for that Eternal Darkness game on the Gamecube? And wasn't it canceled?

Hmmm, well I'm a natural cynic. On one hand it's very true that Obsidian rarely releases on time and needs the extra bug hunting if any company does, on the other hand I can't help but wonder if this is a cash grab. Looking at say "Wasteland 2", and what people have been willing to dish out for early access, either through STEAM, or by paying an extra $10 (when the window opens if it hasn't already) to attach beta access to a backer pledge that didn't have some kind of access deal to begin with, I'd imagine a lot of developers are lining up to monetize this. Jim Sterling has even done some stuff about it here on The Escapist. This kind of thing represents pure profit especially when coming from anxious backers who can't wait to play something despite already owning a copy for all intents and purposes. I'm wondering if it's becoming a "thing" where development isn't ever going to finish until every penny has been wrung out of early access sale and backer additions that can be.

I could be wrong, but if we haven't already seen it, I'm pretty much expecting a Project Eternity early access sale before too long.

I'll also say that I find it interesting that this game is supposed to be far enough along that Inexile apparently just bought technology from "Project Eternity" to use as part of developing Tides Of Numenerra [SP] (I'm a backer of both Wasteland 2 and Tides). One some levels that makes sense since they are both spiritually successors to old "Infinity Engine" games and thus trying to do the same thing, it does however seem odd that something close enough to done to sell it's assets to other developers, is now going under a release delay.

I've heard a bit of bellyaching (discussions in MMOs, some comments on the Inexile TWITCH channel, etc..) from people irritated about Inexile's pimping of early access and such the way they have been doing it, and some not-so-subtle innuendos that people suspect they might be dragging their feet to suck up the extra money. I have no way of telling if it's justified or not (all I care about is new versions/spiritual sequels to some of my favorite games), but I find it uncanny that right after a business dealing with Inexile where they probably talked, Obsidian announces a big delay and upcoming early access version... which to be fair we don't know is going to be monetized yet... but it seems possible.

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter, but honestly nowadays when I hear "Early Access" it comes with instinctive negative connotations in my mind. Strangely I'd be less suspicious if it was just a delay with no mention of early access.

Wait wait, Early Access implies that you have to buy the game, Beta implies that you get a kind of demo for a limited time for free. Which is it?

PedroSteckecilo:
I'd rather they get it done right than stay exactly true to their release timeline... this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.

I couldn't agree more. I don't care if the game takes another year till it's ready, budget allowing. I'd rather play a finished, polished and thoroughly tested game later, than a mistake-ridden one early. The more polish and attention to detail, the better.

I was one of the earlier backers and am greatly looking forward to an honest PC RPG without any concessions made for consoles. I will gladly back most games in the space, RPG, sci-fi type categories if they're made for PCs since the triple A market doesn't cater to me any more.

That's not to say I'm willing to wait for all games. Cyberpunk 2077 from CD Project...that I want to play NOW. I don't care how incomplete or buggy it is or what it costs me, I just want it today!

*reads headline* Oh no.. pillars of eternity won't meet its... *reads further* April.. deadline?

*looks at calendar* Alright obsidian, thanks for the monumental headsup :P Take all the time you need to get it right.

PedroSteckecilo:
this is Obsidian we're talking about afterall... the more QA the better.

Nail'd it. I rather not need a fanpatch just to open the executable (glares at New Vegas).

toms:
Meh, I'm not even keeping track of that. Just send me a download link wen you're done.
Butt why the flamberge would you want to play a beta of a single-player story-driven RPG?

Same reason that Demos used to be a thing? Get a taste of what's to come?

If video game history has taught me anything it is that you do not rush Obsidian. Part of the reason I backed this project was to see what they were capable of without having their work rushed. As far as I'm concerned the longer this takes to come out the better.

Soviet Heavy:

Same reason that Demos used to be a thing? Get a taste of what's to come?

But those who get into beta have already paid for the game.
Well, whatever floats your boat. I'm just going to wait for the final product and hope it's worth the wait.
(Knowing Obsidian, I'll have to wait for another year until a community patch is out.)

obsidian can feel free to take extra time they need. If the past has taught anything it's you don't rush an obsidian games unless you want them to release a buggy mess that requires mods to fix major problems.
This is coming from someone who has 2 obsidian games(kotor 2 and fallout new vegas) in his favorite game list.

And so it had begun. The usual Obsidian story:
First delay it as long as possible then when you are out of money release it in whatever state it is in. Only this time no publisher to blame for their incompetence in planning. Oh I will enjoy the drama.

Ishigami:
First delay it as long as possible then when you are out of money release it in whatever state it is in. Only this time no publisher to blame for their incompetence in planning. Oh I will enjoy the drama.

They have had a bad rap in the past, but no longer they got publishers breathing down their necks.

If I recall correctly then they only finished their kickstarter in October of 2012 so it's barely a year and a few months to shell out a game out the door seems very little for me.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this one and I hope they just take their time and get the QA done properly so the game doesn't break.

DarkhoIlow:
They have had a bad rap in the past, but no longer they got publishers breathing down their necks.

Which, I dare reminding everyone, had every other developer as well.
Obsidian, just like Creative Assembly for that matter, managed to stay in high regards with players despite their very poor track record when it comes to quality in terms of a "functional product".
I believe this due to people wrongfully loving their ideas/concepts more than they should mind the piss poor executions of it.
Either way like I said this time they can't go around blaming a publisher.

Ishigami:

What on earth are you talking about? It takes time to make complex RPG's - Dragon Age Origins and Fallout 3 for example were in development for 4-5 years. This news is a good sign. This is the first time Obsidian haven't had a publisher breathing down their neck to deliver an RPG against impossible deadlines.

And they already delivered a polished amd bug-free product with Dungeon Siege III.

Ishigami:

DarkhoIlow:

Which, I dare reminding everyone, had every other developer as well.
Obsidian, just like Creative Assembly for that matter, managed to stay in high regards with players despite their very poor track record when it comes to quality in terms of a "functional product".
I believe this due to people wrongfully loving their ideas/concepts more than they should mind the piss poor executions of it.
Either way like I said this time they can't go around blaming a publisher.

Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian? Nope, that was Bethesda, a massive bug in one of the DLC's, Old World Blues (the brain dialogue which loops endlessly) is due to bethesda literally fucking up the code. Assign blame where it is due, you can argue that Obsidian isnt that good on a technical level, you can argue that they dont work well under pressure, but laying the fault of other companies shit at their feet? Yeah no, thats not how it works.

But seriously, they say they delay it so they can polish it, and people bitch...what the hell? First everyone bitches at them because they have to kick the product out the door because of deadlines and now they can set their own and actually polish the game as much as possible..and people still bitch. Some people cant be pleased, huh?

Well if it gives Obsidian more time to polish, or even just put in more features im more than happy for them to take their time. I cant wait for this game but I'l take it when it comes out.

A-D.:
Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian?

BioWare worked for LucasArts and SW:KotOR turned out okay.
But I guess Microsoft and Sega suck just as much as Bethesda when it comes to QA, right?
You trust them despite their track record I don't trust them because of it.

A-D.:
But seriously, they say they delay it so they can polish it, and people bitch...what the hell? First everyone bitches at them because they have to kick the product out the door because of deadlines and now they can set their own and actually polish the game as much as possible..and people still bitch. Some people cant be pleased, huh?

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm not into this game because of Obsidian. Just pointing out that so far it goes as i guessed it would go.

Ishigami:

A-D.:
Except they didnt have Lucasarts breathing down their neck to finish a sequel to a game within a year to meet a christmas release and when Obsidian offered to release post-launch updates to finish the game, Lucasarts said no. Kotor 2 being a mess? Thats because of Lucasarts. Or how about that New Vegas? I wonder who did the QA for that, was it Obsidian?

BioWare worked for LucasArts and SW:KotOR turned out okay.

You do realize that one of the reasons Bioware turned down the offer to make Kotor 2 was because of the short development time LucasArts proposed, right? And after Obsidian started working on the game, it was cut with another 6 months. Obsidian never had the success of Bioware and therefore has never been in a position where they could negotiate a decent contract for themselves.

That video is filled with inaccuracies and flat-out lies, by the way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here