Sonic Boom, Sega's Upcoming Wii U/3DS Sonic Title, Revealed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Looks like Knuckles has been skipping leg day.

Sega has just spilled the beans on 2014's upcoming Sonic title for Wii U and 3DS. It's called Sonic Boom, and it won't feature Street Fighter's Guile in any shape or form. It is being developed by Big Red Button, though, which was formed from members of the old Naughty Dog team that worked on both Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Check out the dubstep-laden trailer to the right.

From the looks of things, it appears to be a 3D Sonic title, rather than a traditional Sonic sidescroller. It also looks like we may have 4-player co-op, with the four most recognizable Sonic characters, Sonic, Tails, Kunckles, and Amy, all being heavily featured in the trailer and shown to have their own unique in-game abilities (Ima firin' mah lazor!)

But most interesting of all is the "edgy" new remake the old Sonic cast has had. Knuckles, in particular, looks like some kind of steroid monster, though it seems he's been neglecting leg day at the gym. Oh, and bandages. For a closer look, check out the official character art Sega posted to its Facebook wall below:

So what do you think? Honestly, Sonic is kind of at the point where there have been so many terrible games in the franchise, that anything that isn't complete rubbish would impress me. However, the team working on this means it may be worth keeping an eye on.

Sonic Boom will release on the Wii U and 3DS in 2014.

Source: Sega

Holy crap... trying too hard anyone? Both the music and the "badass" poses makes me facepalm.

Oh well, one thing is for sure. Sonic games are trying to make something new at least. It's refreshing to see that at least. Even though Knuckles looks bloody awful. However I have a feeling this game won't increase the sales for the Wii U...

Was that... DUBSTEP!?

Oh come on, even the shittiest of shit Sonic games have had killer music!

That said, all of my judgement is reserved. Yeah, the redesigns bug me but I'm an old fogey of twenty-five years old so I'm not going to burst into rage just because I find Sonic's Blue Arms annoying. Change happens.

Steven Bogos:
From the looks of things, it appears to be a 3D Sonic title, compared to last year's sidescrolling Lost World.

Er... Lost World wasn't a sidescroller :p

I've at (at least kind of) liked every major Sonic title since Unleashed, so I'm mildly looking forward to this. Apparently this and the cartoon are going to be comedic and lighthearted in nature so, alas, we shan't be getting the horrific, grimdark bloodbath that the fanbase has been yearning for.

Also, fuck the dubstep. They could at least use good dubstep...

I love that Knuckles is no longer just a clone of Sonic, him having a different body type also helps diversify the cast. Really, the only thing that puts me off about this are the bandages and that's not by much.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to make this exclussive to the Wii-U? Now the 3DS will just end up eating most of the sales, instead of the game pushing Wii-U consoles.

Uh... Knuckles? You... you okay man? I know we haven't spoken since the Dreamcast, but I think you may have a problem. Maybe lay of the roids? You were always cooler than Sonic.

Hmm, maybe I'll call up Chris Redfield and we'll have an intervention...

ShirowShirow:
Was that... DUBSTEP!?

Trailer music, look through a few trailers for sonic games, they never contain music that's actually IN the game, it's just noise, used because some marketing tard thought it was cool.

And anyway, I commented on this on the initial thread, cautiously optimistic, and I like the redesigns.

No, Skrillex... Not even you can made Sonic "hip and fresh" as he was back them...

OT: Uh, Knuckles... You head-to-torso ratio is a bit off... Just saying...
Other than that, let's see where this will go, given who's basically working on this... (My interest is at "semi-peaked" levels...)

honestly.....I don't hate it...if fact I think its a better change that what we had previously.

OK, Color me "Cautiously Optimistic"

who duck taped Knuckle's face on Mr. Incredible's body ?

Huh, and just now I'm feeling that the franchise just doesn't know what it wants to do... But hey, I could look at how this'll turn out, since it's developed by a completely different studio than dimps.

Just... don't try too hard to be cool and be yourself... Honestly.

Da fuck is up with the character designs...Why so many bandages and knuckles is just...da fuck. The team working on it has me mildly excited but the trailer made me want to puke.

Jesus Knuckles, lay off the Steroids.

Also, why Bangarang? What was the reasoning behind a Skrillex song? It... really didn't fit the gameplay they showed, so I'm thinking they just got it because Skrillex is popular.

I mean, I'm probably going to be cautiously optimistic of this when it drops (after Generations I'm hopeful Sonic has stopped sucking), but god damn that is getting harder to do with what I just saw.

I will admit, I kinda like the new designs, Even Knuckles.
I know that he is the strongman of the group, but aside from the spikes on his fists, Knuckles didn't exactly look stronger then anyone else.
Still, Wait and See on this, but I will be sad if they don't lampshade his new design at least once.

"Hey, Knuckles, Long time no see!...Hey, have you been working out?"

Fox12:
Uh... Knuckles? You... you okay man? I know we haven't spoken since the Dreamcast, but I think you may have a problem. Maybe lay of the roids? You were always cooler than Sonic.

Hmm, maybe I'll call up Chris Redfield and we'll have an intervention...

You do realise Chris redfield's Voice actor is none other than Sonic's right =P?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Craig_Smith

OT: good to see another Wii U exclusive, hopefully it'l be a small push towards the Wii U's value and I might pick this up on the 3DS first and U later or vice versa.

Steven Bogos:

Looks like Knuckles has been skipping leg day.

Sega has just spilled the beans on 2014's upcoming Sonic title for Wii U and 3DS. It's called Sonic Boom, and it won't feature Street Fighter's Guile in any shape or form. It is being developed by Big Red Button, though, which was formed from members of the old Naughty Dog team that worked on both Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. Check out the dubstep-laden trailer to the right.

From the looks of things, it appears to be a 3D Sonic title, rather than a traditional Sonic sidescroller. It also looks like we may have 4-player co-op, with the four most recognizable Sonic characters, Sonic, Tails, Kunckles, and Amy, all being heavily featured in the trailer and shown to have their own unique in-game abilities (Ima firin' mah lazor!)

But most interesting of all is the "edgy" new remake the old Sonic cast has had. Knuckles, in particular, looks like some kind of steroid monster, though it seems he's been neglecting leg day at the gym. Oh, and bandages. For a closer look, check out the official character art Sega posted to its Facebook wall below:

So what do you think? Honestly, Sonic is kind of at the point where there have been so many terrible games in the franchise, that anything that isn't complete rubbish would impress me. However, the team working on this means it may be worth keeping an eye on.

Sonic Boom will release on the Wii U and 3DS in 2014.

Source: Sega

I think it's also important to add in there that this is not part of the main series of Sonic the hedgehog. Rather it's an offshoot of the sonic franchise in similar veins like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario. As for the bandages...the lead designer was the guy in charge of Ratchet and Clank back in the day. In fact many of the studio members are ex insomniac and Naughty Dog staff.

Who put Indiana Jones in my Sonic? This at least looks better that most Sonic outings in the past 10 years. I'm still gonna wait until it's in the hands of reviewers and fanboys that will would preorder Daikatana 2 if it had a decent trailer. I just hope the different characters play styles are fun. Sonic Adventure 1/2 and Sonic Heroes expanded upon the divergent character evolution that started in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and almost, ALMOST brought back the magic pixie dust powering the Genesis Era games.

Charli:

ShirowShirow:
Was that... DUBSTEP!?

Trailer music, look through a few trailers for sonic games, they never contain music that's actually IN the game, it's just noise, used because some marketing tard thought it was cool.

And anyway, I commented on this on the initial thread, cautiously optimistic, and I like the redesigns.

At least games haven't started using the same couple of songs for different series. Every dramatic movie trailer needs Requiem for a Dream, and horror movies get the Saw theme. (BTW I'm sorry if the next David Cage game's debut trailer has Requiem in it and the next Silent Hill's has Jigsaw's leitmotif playing. If I though I could jinx this industry, I'd make ever Sonic game the bee's knees and bring Metroid: Dread out of development hell.)

Yeah, sorry but the ingame footage looks fucking terrible, it may play nicely but at the same time it looks so far away from a Sonic game that it might as well be a new IP

The issue with the Knuckles design is that he lacks joints in his legs. Well, to be honest, all the characters lack a hip joint, but much like Mario, they get away with this by hiding the point where the leg meets the torso under a pot belly so its out of sight and out of mind. Knuckles (and to a lesser degree redesigned Sonic) lacks this feature.

It might seem a silly criticism, but this is a series about speed and running. The landscapes may whiz by in a blur, but the character's running animation is as omnipresent as the HUD, not to mention past 3d games have been quite fond of zooming in with cinematic low angles at various places in the stages. The characters are animals, so the uncanny valley doesn't apply overall, but their actions (running) are still innately human actions so it should apply to some degree to basic joint movements. This may be concept art, but if this somehow makes it into the gameplay animations, I can't see how they won't look downright alien: you'd be staring at Stretch Armstong for 10-40 hours of gameplay. The still of them crouching above alone looks like a late 90s render.

Amusingly, this problem could probably be fixed by throwing more bandages at it. XD

What the hell happened to Knuckles? He looks like he's been stretched out on a rack and loaded up with steroids.

Did someone say Sonic Boom !?!?!?!

Really people, I'm disappointed it took over 20 replies before this got posted. You're better than this!

Sonic Boom, featuring Sonic, Amy, Tails, and Red Hulk.

Those character designs... what? Amy and tails seem relatively unchanged but Jesus! Sonic and Knuckles are so creepily tall now. It looks like I'm looking at a human wearing a Sonic costume now, rather than the actual character.

And Knuckles is massive now? I guess it'll be interesting to see the reason for that choice in game.

Not that it's likely I'll play it or anything.

Never know, could be a fun. I'll wait until full on gameplay videos hit the internet before I make up my mind about this.

Okay something about Amy is throwing me off. I have no idea what it is, but something in the back of my skull is saying "Something's wrong here".

Also it's nice to see that Sonic and the gang have been given fifth fingers.

Well, there goes that franchise.

Oh wait, it has been shit for years. Sadface.

SEGA, why do you constantly ruin the blurs' name more and more. You nailed the gameplay mechanics with Sonic Unleashed (but lets all forget the werehog never happened) and produced some amazing level design.

Then you wrecked everything with Generations, produce that nancy Colours game, Lost World is just a bad game and now this horrendous...spin-off? multiverse? What the hell are you doing?

In-game footage looks terrible, bad shaders and really bad character models. Also you used dubstep? Skrillex would like to thank you that his 5 minutes of fame did actually exist and you reminded us all by using his track.

Lastly, get rid of Roger Craig Smith he is without a doubt one of the worst Sonic voice actors ever hired.

Hey who knows, maybe it'll be good...*uncontrollable sniggering*

josemlopes:
Yeah, sorry but the ingame footage looks fucking terrible, it may play nicely but at the same time it looks so far away from a Sonic game that it might as well be a new IP

Yeah, but the trailer even stated right off the bat that this isn't even really the final product.

Not to mention that Sega themselves have stated that this is an offshoot from the main series.

At the same time it seems that everyone has forgotten about Sonic Heroes and the Adventure series, which are very similar to this.

Yopaz:
Holy crap... trying too hard anyone? Both the music and the "badass" poses makes me facepalm.

Oh well, one thing is for sure. Sonic games are trying to make something new at least. It's refreshing to see that at least. Even though Knuckles looks bloody awful. However I have a feeling this game won't increase the sales for the Wii U...

The first time they "tried something new", it was great. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were really fun games.

However, after that? With games like Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic Unleashed? No... They were absolutely terrible (aside from Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages, which kind of redeemed it).

I'm prepared to give this game a shot though, I just wish they'd lower the weight on Sonic's chest a bit though, and tone down Knuckles a lot, he looks especially strange just having regular knuckle's head on his shoulders, he just looks incredibly out of place.

TV Series?

They're taking the Pac-man reboot route. Hopefully the naughty dog aesthetic brings out a better game, and translates into the tv show.

Dexterity:

Yopaz:

The first time they "tried something new", it was great. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were really fun games.

However, after that? With games like Sonic and the Black Knight and Sonic Unleashed? No... They were absolutely terrible (aside from Sonic Unleashed's daytime stages, which kind of redeemed it).

I'm prepared to give this game a shot though, I just wish they'd lower the weight on Sonic's chest a bit though, and tone down Knuckles a lot, he looks especially strange just having regular knuckle's head on his shoulders, he just looks incredibly out of place.

Sonic Adventure 2 was one of my favourite games on the GameCube, it was a great 3D Sonic game with different ways of controlling different characters. While I have mixed feelings about newer releases there have been some I liked and some I didn't like and some that made me wish they would kill of the character they are at least trying to make something new. It's just sad that they're failing to do it well.

McFazzer:
Okay something about Amy is throwing me off. I have no idea what it is, but something in the back of my skull is saying "Something's wrong here".

I think she's too thin. Maybe it's just the dress design.

Knuckles doesn't even look built. He looks like he's wearing a badly made inflatable sumo costume.

What? *watch trailer* No, WHAT?

Blue armed sonic is creepy sonic.

Super Not Cosmo:
Did someone say Sonic Boom !?!?!?!

Really people, I'm disappointed it took over 20 replies before this got posted. Your better than this!

In my defence I just got out of bed. The feeling that I get from that video captures the Sonic experience (and maybe the only one) I would like to play. However it might be hard to properly translate that into a video game.

And no, the game in the opening post doesn't seem to be it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here