Update: Flappy Bird-Laden Devices Selling for $80,500 Online

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Update: Flappy Bird-Laden Devices Selling for $80,500 Online

Flappy Bird eBay 2

People are selling their phones with Flappy Bird pre-installed for insane prices on eBay, while creator Dong Nguyen gets bombarded with death threats online for pulling the game.

Staying true to his word, Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen has pulled the hit game from Apple's iOS App Store and Android's Play Store. Seeing as the side-scrolling puzzle title is very popular these days, capitalizing entrepreneurs are now selling their devices with Flappy Bird installed at insane prices online. At the time of this writing, the cheapest eBay listing has a 16GB iPhone 4 with Flappy Bird installed going for $450; while at the other end of the spectrum, a 16GB iPhone 5 with the game installed is now going for a whopping $80,500 and has 60 bids to date.

For reference, a brand new iPhone 5 in the US sells for $750, though it doesn't have Flappy Bird installed, of course. So, if you want in on the latest craze with the mainsteam gamers, you might need to shell out a tiny bit of cash. But what's money when you're sharing your latest score with your friends, right?

In other Flappy Bird news, creator Dong Nguyen has received a ton of death threats online for pulling his game. Not only death threats mind you, but people saying they'll kill themselves if he proceeds with his plan -- which he already did. You can read the absurd exchanges here. Word of warning, though, it might make you cringe a little at just how much these people like having a little bird fly over pipes.

Source: eBay, Kotaku, Twitter (C418)

Update: According to one Twitter user who claims to have received an official e-mail from eBay, the Flappy Bird goldmine may be about to run dry. The email specifically states that all iPhones sold on eBay must be reset to factory settings, and even specifically mentions that all content must be removed from the device, including "Flappy Bird".

Source: Twitter

Because, for this money, you couldn't, I don't know, buy an android device/jailbroken iphone, and, say, a nice car?
Slight note: You weren't wrong about the whole "losing faith in humanity" thing. I have only one question that remains: why didn't you put the warning up front?

Wow some people out there are just f*cking sick...

DW, i lost faith in humanity the moment i got dial-up -_-"

Synthetica:
Because, for this money, you couldn't, I don't know, buy an android device/jailbroken iphone, and, say, a nice car?
Slight note: You weren't wrong about the whole "losing faith in humanity" thing. I have only one question that remains: why didn't you put the warning up front?

I took it out since some people might deem it inappropriate. :) But yeah, personally, I find it very, very disturbing that people are quick to send threats over a friggin' game. If this was over a phone call or physical letter, email, police would be involved.

I... I...

Words fail me.

What the hell is *wrong* with people?

You could pay a developer in India a quarter of that to make your own personal copy of the game. Hell, I'd do it for a couple of grand - it's half a day's work. Seriously - people are fucking insane.

I mean - there are already hundreds of thousands of phones with the thing installed, they don't even have rarity value!

It's amazing the sociopathic ranting people put out on Twitter under their own names.

Whilst I'm not usually in favor of the idea that it should be a crime to be mean to someone on the internet I can't help but think that some of these hysterical attention whores need a wake up call, in the form of a police enquiry about them making death threats.

Sixcess:
It's amazing the sociopathic ranting people put out on Twitter under their own names.

Whilst I'm not usually in favor of the idea that it should be a crime to be mean to someone on the internet I can't help but think that some of these hysterical attention whores need a wake up call, in the form of a police enquiry about them making death threats.

I was just thinking the same thing, some people are just
a) Stupid
b) go too far
c) stupid
d) stupid

Sixcess:

Indeed. The anonymity is a blanket that gets abused a ton. And yeah, one of these days, these threats will become a reality and law enforcement will do an inquiry to these people.

It's just sad...devs, publishers and other people -- heck, no one -- deserves death threats unless they did something very evil or bad. Pulling a game? That's the lowest form of "hurting" people. :(

It's monday morning and, after reading this news, I've already given up for the rest of the week!

Seriously people, your life won't end if a game goes away, you don't threatern to kill someone because a game went away, and you don't sell a phone for $80,500 cause it's got a bloody game on it!

Ugh... the stupidity on these tweets... my brain hurts...

There are thousands of time wasters on iPhone/ Android, why would anyone pay that amount of money when EA could be having that to let you chip blocks in Dungeon Keeper!

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? ... this.

I'm pretty sure those are joke bids anyway.

Shouldnt all the people who are crazy over this game already HAVE it?

Also it would be cheaper to buy an android phone (you know, just for playing flappy birds) considering you can download the .apk for free pretty much EVERYWHERE.

weirdguy:

God! I hope so.

weirdguy:

Yes but the fun thing about joke bids is that it might convince some people that it's worth more then it is. Thus someone might be dumb enough to follow through with it.

Oh would you look at that. My phone is suddenly up for sale on Ebay.

At first I misread the article's title and thought someone had made a Flappy Bird parody featuring Osama bin Laden. It would have made the reaction seem slightly more plausible (though it would still be batshit insane).

Shaidz:

Sixcess:

I was just thinking the same thing, some people are just
a) Stupid
b) go too far
c) stupid
d) stupid

Don't forget stupid!

What's even more idiotic about the whole thing is that you KNOW there's going to be a ton of clones to cash in on the void, so it's not like the experience is gone forever.

I wish I could say that I'm amazed by this. Sadly, the internet has proven time and again that some people have no concept of common sense, decency or perspective.

i used to believe in freedom of speech online but this sort of thing convinced me long ago that the net needs regulation and monitoring and prosecuting people for their actions in exactly the same way you would do in real life

I've always had the view that people who kill themselves for incredibly stupid reasons is a self-correcting problem that needs no further attention.

That people actually care so much about a frustration mini-game (on iOS, no less) just boggles my mind.

Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction... this sounds like something that would happen on a satirical show, not real life 0.o

Or you could just download it or a flash game that has the exact same mechanics that existed many years before that's sure to exist.

Or buy a big tv and snort drugs off it. Anything else at all.

These people do not deserve money.

Edit:

weirdguy:

You can do that? Well that changes things then.

Didn't he remove the game because people were sending death threats or the like at him?

Christ, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Joke's on the iPhone users, Android users can just download the APK from literally everywhere on the internet.

In all seriousness: this is just depressing. Reading through those tweets is just horrible, so much vile stuff being spewed at him, people threatening him left, right and centre. Along with the suicide threats it just goes to show that people are horrible.

The stupidity of this amazes me!

First of all, is flappy birds really so good a game that it's worth threatening to kill someone over?

Secondly, if the game meant that much to those people, they should have already downloaded it and have it on their phones.

Seriously, people are fucking stupid.

What makes this even worse is just how many games there probably are that have the same basic premise.

I am curious what made it so popular though: Is it the competitive aspect?

Part of me really wants there to be just MASSIVE group suicides with bloody notes covered with scrawled images of the bird. BBC news will report it in utter bewilderment, and the death toll will rise and rise.

Soon the world population will drop under 1 million as the people's anguished cries are cut short.

The apocalypse is upon us, and it began with Flappy Bird.

Seriously though, I had never heard a peep (ha) about this damn game until the shitstorm had already commenced. Now, it really feels like some kind of neo-Monty Python bit. Its absurd to the point of being truly offensive now.

Flatfrog:

You could pay a developer in India a quarter of that to make your own personal copy of the game. Hell, I'd do it for a couple of grand - it's half a day's work.

You're being a bit unrealistic there. Half a day's work to write the core engine maybe, but then you've got maybe a day for new art (there isn't a lot of it, but it still needs made, and decent artists tend to be a bit obsessive), and another day or two for debugging (especially your map generator, because you know that thing is going to have at least one game-breaking bug that creates impossible to pass arrangements), and then another day or two for difficulty tweaks.

I'd call it about a week (to give some slack for the unexpected, because you *never* plan for everything) if I already had an artist on hand or could do my own art.

this shit has escalated fast, ive only just heard of this flapy birds which looked very mario rip off to me and nothing great just a simple and shit yet hard game coz it was shit.

Does anyone else notice that it's like 80% women making these death threats? Could you imagine the uproar if this was a bunch of men throwing death threats at a female developer? I certainly hope I'm not the only one that's noticing the absolute irony that this situation is right now.

wow, people going mad over the phone game that was done before multiple times. besides, its not like you cant just pirate it if your willing to murder somone for it you know. that may be less illegal than murder. just a thought.

VanQ:
Does anyone else notice that it's like 80% women making these death threats? Could you imagine the uproar if this was a bunch of men throwing death threats at a female developer? I certainly hope I'm not the only one that's noticing the absolute irony that this situation is right now.

I didn't notice that anywhere. Then again, I live in my own bubble of comfort + 1. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Though anyone slinging death threats should be slammed for it. In the slammer... Time to slip back into my bubble of comfort + 1 and listen to nights: lucid dreams. Maybe this will all blow away that way.

I wonder what I could get for that iPad I downloaded it to...

Okay. Everyone who threatened with murder or suicide: just kill yourself. If you're being such an asshole about this you don't deserve to be on this earth.

truckspond:
I wonder what I could get for that iPad I downloaded it to...

Take advantage of the situation while you can, this kind of stupid doesn't come around all that often. Just slap a price sticker on it and put it up there, in big shiny letters, that you got the stupid game on the thing.

Schadrach:

Flatfrog:

You could pay a developer in India a quarter of that to make your own personal copy of the game. Hell, I'd do it for a couple of grand - it's half a day's work.

You're being a bit unrealistic there. Half a day's work to write the core engine maybe, but then you've got maybe a day for new art (there isn't a lot of it, but it still needs made, and decent artists tend to be a bit obsessive), and another day or two for debugging (especially your map generator, because you know that thing is going to have at least one game-breaking bug that creates impossible to pass arrangements), and then another day or two for difficulty tweaks.

I'd call it about a week (to give some slack for the unexpected, because you *never* plan for everything) if I already had an artist on hand or could do my own art.

To develop it from scratch, maybe. To copy this one, I think that's overkill. The gameplay coding itself is pretty much minimal - falling under gravity and jumping on a tap is maybe half an hour's coding maximum! Collision detection and random placement of pipes maybe another hour or so. Another hour to tweak the speed and other settings; the surrounding infrastructure (menus, high scores etc) adds on another hour or two. Ripping off the assets is easy (half an hour with a screen grab and Photoshop), find a few free sound effects and you're pretty much done. I don't think half a day is really that unreasonable, but okay, a day max.

As it happens, I already made pretty much exactly this game for a birthday present for my daughter a few years ago - mine was a Primeval-themed game where you steered a flying lizard through an office building full of filing cabinets and ceiling fans, and I think it did take me about a day - maybe a bit longer because I had to do some 3d modelling.

This is why I never take death-threats seriously. I'm more appalled when others do take them seriously.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here