Sledgehammer's Call of Duty Will Be Developed For "Next-Gen First"

Sledgehammer's Call of Duty Will Be Developed For "Next-Gen First"

sledgehammerLOGO

Activision says Sledgehammer's upcoming Call of Duty game is being developed as a "next-gen first" project.

Sledgehammer Games is finally getting to make a Call of Duty game of its own and while it may or may not be quite what the studio had envisioned back when it first started on the job, one thing has definitely changed: It will be first and foremost a next-gen project.

"Sledgehammer is approaching this as a next-gen-first development," Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg told IGN. "Obviously in the console-transition year, anyone who developed a cross-generational game last year had to deal with the fact that the technology of the next-gen platforms was still coming into focus and changing quite a bit during the development process... Now that we have the next-gen hardware out in the marketplace and solid, that is our primary development."

Setting aside the potential confusion over "next-gen," which I had assumed would now be "current gen" since the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 (and Wii U if you want to include it) are currently available for purchase at a number of fine retailers near you, the focus on the new hardware is a big part of why Activision recently moved to a three-year, three-team development cycle for the Call of Duty franchise.

"We've got more capabilities than ever before to play with and we want to make sure our developers have the time to innovate, iterate, to bring the best creative vision and the most possible polish to each and every game," Hirshberg said. It will be a great current-gen game as well, he added, referring to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 4, "but it will be next-gen-first production and the current-gen game will be a version of that."

Source: IGN

I don't believe a fuckin' word of that. Everybody should know by now that developers can only say things that their publishers tell them to say. And Activision is the absolute worst when it comes to that. They say things like "we have a new engine for next-gen version of Ghosts". They brag about the amazing fish AI and they put artificial RAM requirements on the PC version to make it appear as if it were an actual next-gen game. That's the type of shit that we can expect from Activision, so when one of their developers come out and say something positive about one of their games, it shouldn't even be news because it's probably a lie.

So I have to wait yet another year for the next iteration of Zombies?
GODDAMNIT! I wanna see if Misty and Marly actually get together and slay zombies as husband and wife...

The only thing that really comes to mind with a three year three team development cycle is over exposure. Granted I don't play a lot of FPS games so maybe people who do play them are more forgiving, but when a game sequel is released every year I get tired of it.

So did anyone else have to look up who the hell Sledgehammer Games is?

Soooo... shiny graphics technology (PC based games have had since we moved on from Dx9) applied to a linear hallway? Ahhhh 'next gen', it always feels so familiar...

Micalas:
So did anyone else have to look up who the hell Sledgehammer Games is?

The guys that got pushed into making them Call of Duties when the Infinity Ward shitstorm happened. Other than that I only know that the Schofield is the boss (or something) there, the guy that was pretty much the face of the first Dead Space's development team.

Don't worry folks, the next game's Fish AI will be even better than the previous game's Fish AI.

Doesn't this go without saying? Wasnt the entire point of "needing" a new console generation was specifically because FPS shooters had hit their graphical ceiling and without any more horsepower to pump out "better" visuals how were they going to rationalize having a yearly release schedule for nothing but map packs?

It's not next-gen! The consoles are out! It's current-gen now! That people STILL say "next-gen" is making me mad, especially when I've just woken up.
I've never really liked CoD games but each new installment has the chance to change my mind. But this just makes me dislike the publisher which will colour my opinion on the game. So not off to a good start.

viranimus:
Doesn't this go without saying? Wasnt the entire point of "needing" a new console generation was specifically because FPS shooters had hit their graphical celing and without any more horsepower to pump out "better" visuals how were they going to rationalize having a yearly release schedule for nothing but map packs?

You should have seen their previous press release about how it will come in a box and will most likely have guns in it.

Please be WW2 from the Axis perspective...please be WW2 from the Axis perspective....please be WW2 from the Axis perspective....

Come on, I want to see those beautiful Tiger tanks with the graphical power of next-gen (to invoke Oddball)!

Andy Chalk:

Activision says Sledgehammer's upcoming Call of Duty game is being developed as a "next-gen first" project.

So we will have to wait another 10 years (if microsoft is to believe in current gen console age) till next call of duty? a healthy break in my opinion.

Or did they actually mean current-gen consoles? because yes, you shoudl definatelly focus on current generation and not last generation. that is like developing games for PS2. oh, wait....

Dragonlayer:
Please be WW2 from the Axis perspective...please be WW2 from the Axis perspective....please be WW2 from the Axis perspective....

I always said i would like to see a good game made from Axis perspective.
alas, anyone who even tried was insta-disaster due to public outrage. humans dont deserve nice things.

Dragonlayer:

Remember the controversy caused by Modern Warfare 2(?) when there was a segment that had the player shooting up an airport?

Do you really think Fox News are going to keep quiet about that?

Not having high hopes for this one.

Although atleast they're a bit honest this time. Sledgehammer. That's about as much finesse as you can expect from a CoD game.

Strazdas:

Andy Chalk:

So we will have to wait another 10 years (if microsoft is to believe in current gen console age) till next call of duty? a healthy break in my opinion.

Or did they actually mean current-gen consoles? because yes, you shoudl definatelly focus on current generation and not last generation. that is like developing games for PS2. oh, wait....

Dragonlayer:

I always said i would like to see a good game made from Axis perspective.
alas, anyone who even tried was insta-disaster due to public outrage. humans dont deserve nice things.

I know I know, the depressing truth is that we'll probably just have to stick to fairly average RTS campaigns to see the events from the other side (not to suggest stuff like Company of Heroes or Sudden Strike are bad games, but rather that their campaigns are largely interchangeable and playing the German one rarely means anything different then a pallet swap of units). But Special Ops: The Line proved that we can handle "controversial" material in a mature and insightful manner and it's not like I'm asking for a Einzatgruppen simulator.

gigastar:

Dragonlayer:

Remember the controversy caused by Modern Warfare 2(?) when there was a segment that had the player shooting up an airport?

Do you really think Fox News are going to keep quiet about that?

*Cynical sigh*

That about sums it up really. I mean they were just spouting some bollacks about the LEGO movie being anti-Capitalist: the mere notion that players could open fire on American troops would probably send them into fits of ill-informed fury.

Dragonlayer:

Come on, I want to see those beautiful Tiger tanks with the graphical power of next-gen (to invoke Oddball)!

The only ww2 game where you can play as the axis thats not a mod or an rts or grand stratgy is iron front:liberation 1944 and even then thats based on the arma 2 ...

Wait were talking about activisions bs claims? Yea i dont buy this for a second. After bl2 which was ok ghosts was somehow worse so i dont have much fath in the call of duty series anymore.

qazcake:

Dragonlayer:

The only ww2 game where you can play as the axis thats not a mod or an rts or grand stratgy is iron front:liberation 1944 and even then thats based on the arma 2 ...

Wait were talking about activisions bs claims? Yea i dont buy this for a second. After bl2 which was ok ghosts was somehow worse so i dont have much fath in the call of duty series anymore.

That game piqued my interest when it first appeared on Steam aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago but my computer could never handle it: is it any good?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here