Magic: The Gathering, Wizards of the Coast Financials Up Over 20% in 2013

Magic: The Gathering, Wizards of the Coast Financials Up Over 20% in 2013

Elspeth

The collectible card juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down in Hasbro's 2013 financials.

Hasbro has released its Q4 and yearly 2013 reports, and interesting details about Wizards of the Coast and its properties have come to light. Specifically, Magic: The Gathering is still growing, with the venerable CCG "up more than 20%" for the year according to Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner. Wizards of the Coast in general was apparently up 23%, interesting for a division whose primary claim to fame other than Magic, Dungeons & Dragons, did little new other than playtest a new edition to be released this year. It's possible that successful boardgames like Lords of Waterdeep and the reprints of older editions of D&D fueled overall growth. Hasbro's profits fell from $336 million to $286.2 million from 2012, apparently due to a general decline of Hasbro's "boys" brands like Marvel and Beyblade.

Goldner did call out the upcoming Magic: The Gathering movie in the works over at Fox, comparing Magic to properties like Transformers with massive growth potential and emphasis on multi-year stories. Hopefully this means we'll see a Michael Bay-helmed Magic movie. Did I say hopefully? That is not actually what I meant.

Other interesting callouts include a decline in Marvel-related properties, unsurprising in a year that didn't see the release of The Avengers, and a general continuation of the meteoric growth of My Little Pony

Source: Seeking Alpha

I've already spent around $300 on the latest mastic expansion, I'm not suprised they are doing well.

I need to go sleeve some cards now.

If I had the disposable income, I'd be buying Magic cards too. It deserves its position at the top. Though I feel a bit awkward saying that since I've been playing a lot of Hearthstone this week...

Shh... don't tell Hasbro

To be fair, 2012 had Innistrad, while 2013 had Return to Ravnica.
Of course 2013 sales were higher.
Innistrad is terrible.

I'm glad I decided to quit magic post-Ravnica (the 1st). I spent way too much money on that game as it was. Way way too much. Paychecks gone because of that game, all to build a deck that may or may not be tournament legal in a few months. I had fun, but I could invest money elsewhere and enjoy it far longer. Kudos to WOTC though for their money-printing skills.

Souplex:
Innistrad is terrible.

I believe I remember seeing somewhere that Innistrad was their best selling set until Return to Ravnica.

Souplex:
Innistrad is terrible.

That's funny. You're funny. Ha. Innistrad, terrible. Hahaha.

Innistrad still ranks as my personal favorite set ever. Awesome flavor and theme, excellent limited format, and two of my favorite planeswalkers ever (Liliana of the Veil and Tamiyo). How could you NOT love that set? It had a card whose rules text literally read "destroy all Humans"!

I'm curious how much of this has to do with hearthstone. I played magic from the release of 7th edition up until just after mirrodin, and came back to the game this year after playing hearthstone for a few weeks just made me miss the game.

If only it wasn't so damn expensive...

walrusaurus:
I'm curious how much of this has to do with hearthstone. I played magic from the release of 7th edition up until just after mirrodin, and came back to the game this year after playing hearthstone for a few weeks just made me miss the game.

If only it wasn't so damn expensive...

I can't help but feel similarly. There are those who say Hearthstone will hurt Magic, but I think it'll be very much the other way around. Magic has a level of organized play and store penetration that Hearthstone can't replicate in any meaningful way.

Meanwhile Games Workshop dropped by over 20% last year. I'd tell them to take notes, but I think all they'd do is force players to buy completely new models every 2 years.

I wonder how much of a dent the chinese counterfeits are going to affect SCG and the rest of the secondary market. Also Wizards bring back Legacy into the forefront.

lax4life:
I wonder how much of a dent the chinese counterfeits are going to affect SCG and the rest of the secondary market. Also Wizards bring back Legacy into the forefront.

There's a variety of reasons that's unlikely to happen. Mostly because they don't make any money on cards that aren't in print. Keep in mind that at the end of the day, they're a business first and foremost.

hittite:

lax4life:

There's a variety of reasons that's unlikely to happen. Mostly because they don't make any money on cards that aren't in print. Keep in mind that at the end of the day, they're a business first and foremost.

I know that Wizards isn't going to do that, I'm not an idiot. T'was just some wishful fantasy.

Stevepinto3:

Souplex:
Innistrad is terrible.

Innistrad still ranks as my personal favorite set ever. Awesome flavor and theme, excellent limited format, and two of my favorite planeswalkers ever (Liliana of the Veil and Tamiyo). How could you NOT love that set? It had a card whose rules text literally read "destroy all Humans"!

It's how it goes. Mirrodin and Ravnica are the best blocks.
The thing in between them is the worst block.
We saw it with Kamigawa, and we saw it again with Inistrad, with its uninteresting mechanics, poor balance, and general lack of fun.

I bet hearth stone helped magic and the trading card industry in general, by bringing attention back to it. Hearthstone is frequently number 2 next to league of legends on twitch tv

Souplex:

Stevepinto3:

Souplex:
Innistrad is terrible.

It's how it goes. Mirrodin and Ravnica are the best blocks.
The thing in between them is the worst block.
We saw it with Kamigawa, and we saw it again with Inistrad, with its uninteresting mechanics, poor balance, and general lack of fun.

Can not begin to understand. Agree that Kamigawa was a mess but Innistrad was way more focused and cohesive. Flashback, death triggers, and double-faced cards were all excellent and fun mechanics in my book.

With all the money I've spent on magic over the years, you can bet I'll be glad to see it remain relevant. Kind of optimistic about the movie as well.

lax4life:
Also Wizards bring back Legacy into the forefront.

hittite:

Actually Legacy is rather unpopular amongst most players simply because it's a very difficult meta to be competitive in, the financial burden of making a deck that is even playable, never-mind optimal, is massive. Legacy just isn't accessible to enough of the player base to make it a front and center format.

Wizards does push the eternal formats quire a bit but the problem with legacy is many of its cards will never be able to be reprinted because they are; 1. Broken as hell and have no place in any modern format 2. Many of them are on the reserve list 3. Reprinting any rare and expensive cards upsets collectors.

Using the commander sets Wizards has actually been helping legacy out by re-printing cards like Baleful Strix and printing new cards that have a place in the format. Modern Masters showed wizards isn't automatically against supporting the eternal formats. Actually i think wizards has been excellent in putting the playability of the game above easy, low hanging profit. That's how magic survives, they walk a very difficult tight-rope in terms of re-printing policy and the healthy after market is a BIG chunk of the reason MTG survives and grows, Wizards is VERY aware of this.

Scrumpmonkey:
Actually Legacy is rather unpopular amongst most players simply because it's a very difficult meta to be competitive in, the financial burden of making a deck that is even playable, never-mind optimal, is massive. Legacy just isn't accessible to enough of the player base to make it a front and center format.

Wizards does push the eternal formats quire a bit but the problem with legacy is many of its cards will never be able to be reprinted because they are; 1. Broken as hell and have no place in any modern format 2. Many of them are on the reserve list 3. Reprinting any rare and expensive cards upsets collectors.

It really depends on what circles of Magic players you run with. My LGS holds a weekly Legacy tournament every Sunday, and we only rotate Modern and Standard for FNM. I feel like the general rule is the more dedicated the player the more Legacy becomes enticing.

Most of the reserve list is either banned or unplayable in Legacy with the exception of the original dual lands, though that's arguably the most important aspect. The one nice upside to Legacy is how static the format is. After the initial investment into a few staples it's pretty easy to play a number of decks.

Slycne:

Scrumpmonkey:

It really depends on what circles of Magic players you run with. My LGS holds a weekly Legacy tournament every Sunday, and we only rotate Modern and Standard for FNM. I feel like the general rule is the more dedicated the player the more Legacy becomes enticing.

Most of the reserve list is either banned or unplayable in Legacy with the exception of the original dual lands, though that's arguably the most important aspect. The one nice upside to Legacy is how static the format is. After the initial investment into a few staples it's pretty easy to play a number of decks.

I've seen places struggle to populate Modern events before, never mind Legacy.
I agree that the archetypes especially are incredibly static, you might need to switch out say a couple of cards a year just because something a bit more efficient comes along in the same slot or something makes waves in a certain deck (see Deathrite Shaman)

I know it might be a blow to collectors but perhaps Wizards could do with putting out a set for Legacy like "Modern Masters". There are a lot of cards out there we could really do with more copies of just for utility purposes, having so few copies is becoming impractical. If Tarmagoyf survived being re-printed in modern masters i suppose a "Legacy Greats" wouldn't kill the all important secondary market.

Maybe it's just because here in the UK far fewer people were collecting at the time legacy cards came out than in the US but yeah, even Modern can be a stretch for some venues. Which is a shame because i don't often get to crush people with my four copies of Primeval Titan :P

I have a few friends who play Magic, and a few more who would stay current if they could afford to.

I for one, welcome our new pony overlords.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here