Cheap Gigabit Internet is Coming to Austin This Week

Grande Communications is offering gigabit internet access to Austinites at $65/month.

Google and AT&T are both going to, or already offer, gigabit internet access in Austin, Texas, but a smaller underdog has beat both tech giants to the punch.

Grande Communications Logo

San Marcos, Texas-based Grande Communications is the provider in question, and the small company has already started offering gigabit service to its customers in West Austin. At $65 per month, the gigabit service is $5 cheaper than what AT&T currently offers (and Grande's price goes down even more when bundled with TV or phone service), and it's coming online several months before Google Fiber.

Grande Communications might be pequeño in size when compared to Google and AT&T, but the company seems committed to protecting its turf. "There's a certain sizzle to 1 gigabit that people are excited about," said Grande President Matt Murphy to Austin360. "We're nimble and able to do things faster. We're consciously doing this to beat Google. We've always made a dedicated effort to have the fastest Internet speeds in all the areas we serve, and that's what we're doing here."

This is great news for Silicon Hills residents, but what does it mean for the rest of us? We're all stuck with 20 Mbps service, usually tied to a telecom giant that cares about its customers as much as Dennis Nedry cares about maintaining a clean workstation . For starters, it proves that smaller, non-national telecommunications companies can pull off bleeding-edge services without charging an arm and a leg. And it also serves as a small, glimmering hope for meaningful telco competition, which essentially doesn't exist at the moment.

Now should I move to Austin, or should I wait for the Los Angeles fiber plan to kick in? Decisions, decisions...

We need more of this around the country. If this smaller company can offer 1Gbit internet for lower than I pay Comcast for 50Mbps, then there is no good reason why these telecom giants can't offer us better service. The only reason there can be is the lack of competition has bred acceptance of mediocrity.

Micalas:
We need more of this around the country. If this smaller company can offer 1Gbit internet for lower than I pay Comcast for 50Mbps, then there is no good reason why these telecom giants can't offer us better service. The only reason there can be is the lack of competition has bred acceptance of mediocrity.

Well shit, you just saved me time. I was going to post almost exactly that. Thanks ;)

Although I do wonder if this company will be remotely profitable, if they will have more downtime than other providers, etc. It's not as simple as "faster and cheaper".

EDIT: the cynical side of me thinks maybe this company is only jumping into the Austin market hoping that either Google or AT&T will buy them out. Maybe they don't have any plans to continue to provide competition. If they did, they might try a market with even fewer options.

The entire fuckin' US is so corrupt and anti free-market it wouldn't surprise me if this happened to Grande Communications: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/utah-bill-would-stop-regional-fiber-networks-from-expanding/

See that? Big ISP companies are lobbying (prettier term for bribing politicians) for legislation that would pretty much put an end to this. At first in some places. But the goal is to put an end to it everywhere. And they'll most likely win because money is all that matters to US politicians. They represent corporate interests. They hate free market and they hate democracy.

Micalas:

Technically they can offer better internet for cheaper prices, but they won't do it. Reason is because the big ISP companies have Oligopoly over certain areas of the United States in general, and many people in the government being in the pockets of the ISPs will stop possible break ups of these oligopolies. For example, in the Southern San Diego area the 2 big ISP providers are only Cox Digital and AT&T, with smaller companies either dying out fast or being bought out. We are basically in another Bell Telephone Company scenario, only with internet this time, and the chances of it being broken up are quite slim.

Heck, look at how Google Fibre wasn't able to get all over the country despite Google being one of the richest companies in the world at this point.

Adam Jensen:
The entire fuckin' US is so corrupt and anti free-market it wouldn't surprise me if this happened to Grande Communications: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/utah-bill-would-stop-regional-fiber-networks-from-expanding/

See that? Big ISP companies are lobbying (prettier term for bribing politicians) for legislation that would pretty much put an end to this. At first in some places. But the goal is to put an end to it everywhere. And they'll most likely win because money is all that matters to US politicians. They represent corporate interests. They hate free market and they hate democracy.

I think you got it backwards, they want to stop municipality(government) owned networks from becoming monopolies. How can you say you hate the politicians of the government, but want to have the whole thing run by the politicians government and not corporations? UTOPIA is a government funded network.

Meanwhile im sitting here with only 300mbps for 30 dollars....
Sigh, small steps i guess. Now if only those steps would be taken in location that doesnt already have 1gbps internet.....

Well I'm sitting pretty here at up to 3.5 megabits and for only twice the price! You guys don't know what you're missing.

Cruel headline Escapist, it is shortened on the forum as 'Cheap Gigabit Internet is Coming to Aust', here I was hoping it was Australia. Oh well, I guess I will make do with my 500kb/s.

Cheap Gigabit Internet is Coming to Aust

Australia?!

Oh fiddlesticks.

Curse you for getting my hopes up Escapist.

smithy_2045:

Cheap Gigabit Internet is Coming to Aust

Australia?!

Oh fiddlesticks.

Curse you for getting my hopes up Escapist.

Yep, same thing happened with me. Curse, as you say, you, as you so eloquently put, for, as you aptly note, getting my hopes up, so you posit, Escapist, very much so yes indeed.

EDIT: misread.

Still a bit overpriced, but seeing how much customers get shafted with other ISPs I say that's a step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, my family is stuck with 25Mbps (at best) from Comcast at about $30/month.

I really hope this takes off.

Baldr:

Adam Jensen:

I think you got it backwards, they want to stop municipality(government) owned networks from becoming monopolies. How can you say you hate the politicians of the government, but want to have the whole thing run by the politicians government and not corporations? UTOPIA is a government funded network.

Government funded, not government ran. But big ISP companies and their corrupt politicians knew nothing about it. Now they do, and they're fighting against them. Which is wrong.

Baldr:

Adam Jensen:

I read it. UTOPIA just provides the fiber. They rent out the infrastructure to telecoms who then sell services to the public. While UTOPIA could become a monopoly in providing the infrastructure, is that a bad thing? It still promotes competition among the ISPs by lowering the barrier for entry for smaller companies to provide services.

This just goes to show how much bullshit the US internet market is. Google announces 1gbit internet in a city and all of sudden the existing providers just magically develop the ability to provide the same service at a fraction of the price they were before. It has nothing to do with the smaller ISP being "more nimble" its just straight up greed; theres no competition so there's no disincentive for ISPs to set their rates at 80+% margins, because they can.

I live in a city that is bigger than austin yet i pay nearly that same price for 12mbs. Just makes me so angry.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here